Thread: DVD Formats

Thumbs down DVD Formats

I am disappointed to hear that Mr. Bay has chosen to only place his films in HDTV format and not the UK leading Blu Ray format. Having seen the quality of both my personal opinion is that Blu Ray is better.
    Why have you chosen this format?
    I and my friends all own PS3's and itís easier and better to watch these films on our systems especially as the HDTV format players are too expensive here in the UK. I was looking forward to viewing the extra bonus material and quality that Blu Ray offers for the new release Transformers and I now canít do that. Only having this system means that I am NOT going to buy Transformers or any of your future releases from you Mr. Bay or give into buying the HDTV system. i was also shocked to hear your decision you made so abruptly on your website.

Default I agree with you.

What you don't understand is corporate politics. Microsoft wants both formats to fail so they can be heroes and make the world move to digital downloads. That is the dirty secret no one is talking about. That is why Microsoft is handing out $100 million dollar checks to studios just embrace the HD DVD and not the leading, and superior Blu Ray. They want confusion in the market until they perfect the digital downloads. Time will tell and you will see the truth.

Bay

For those of you wanting to discuss this....post over here.

Unhappy Politics

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbay View Post
    What you don't understand is corporate politics. Microsoft wants both formats to fail so they can be heroes and make the world move to digital downloads. That is the dirty secret no one is talking about. That is why Microsoft is handing out $100 million dollar checks to studios just embrace the HD DVD and not the leading, and superior Blu Ray. They want confusion in the market until they perfect the digital downloads. Time will tell and you will see the truth.

Bay
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for responding to last message

I understand business and the fact is that everything or one looks out for themselves but I am shocked that Microsoft can do this as they are causing more trouble and confusion then needed especially for the coming holidays.

I understand that they will lose a lot of money if Blu Ray wins because of the consoles both Sony and Microsoft have but surely how long will this drag on for? Itís getting to be a joke.

Studios and other media companies shouldnít accept this money as its going to cause more hassle in the future when deciding what the final format will be.

This also means that you Mr. Bay accepted this from Microsoft

As I said in my last post Mr. Bay I love your movies but Iím just disappointed in your decision. Hopefully in the future you will release a Transformers Blu Ray edition.

Default Re: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    This also means that you Mr. Bay accepted this from Microsoft
    This is getting a bit ridiculous. Michael Bay had nothing to do with Paramount's decision of accepting the money from Toshiba/Microsoft. Apparently you missed Michael's point.

He is foremost a film director that makes movie a lot of people like.

He should not sacrifice his film career for Sony , and set himself be the martyr for the Blu-ray crowd (considering Sony didn't believe in him when he was directing Bad Boys in 1994 and gave him hell)

That is like me quitting my job because my employer decided to go with HP computers and not Macs.

I think he has done enough to state the obvious: Blu-ray is the better format.

Unhappy My Apologies

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    This is getting a bit ridiculous. Michael Bay had nothing to do with Paramount's decision of accepting the money from Toshiba/Microsoft. Apparently you missed Michael's point.

He is foremost a film director that makes movie a lot of people like.

He should not sacrifice his film career for Sony , and set himself be the martyr for the Blu-ray crowd (considering Sony didn't believe in him when he was directing Bad Boys in 1994 and gave him hell)

That is like me quitting my job because my employer decided to go with HP computers and not Macs.

I think he has done enough to state the obvious: Blu-ray is the better format.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes sorry I wrote that a bit hastily

I understand his position now and itís not Bay but the studios I didnít mean to write that last response

Anyway this has gone on long enough and hopefully this will all finish soon

Thank you all for your responses