Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla

Default Re: Godzilla

This movie starts showing here in about 3 hours on IMAX (it's night time here now). But I didn't get tickets for that as I wish to watch this with my daughter and she'd be too sleepy. So I plan to watch this with her tomorrow afternoon instead.

Overall a good movie.

Godzilla was really cute (at least compared to his first US movie incarnation). Effect wise was really good. Though I find Pacific Rim more intense than this movie. If you haven't watched Pacific Rim then maybe you'd find this Godzilla movie really incredible. But coming off from Pacific Rim, expectations have become higher as regards to giant monster movies than pre-Pacific Rim.

Also would love the idea of Godzilla-Pacific Rim cross over. Maybe Mecha Godzilla is piloted by humans?

Now THAT is how you do a Godzilla movie. It was absolutely incredible; had a very classic feel to it that that you don't see in a lot of blockbusters these days.

Long live the King!

Okay.......So i get the whole slow build thing these directors try to do sometimes, but I think they overdid it in Godzilla. I mean, the movie is called GODZILLA. We're paying to see him on screen.

It seemed like every time we'd get to a good scene, they'd freaking cut to humans doing human sh!t. I understand you cant just have 2 hours of fighting, but I just expected more than what we got.

They did the monster right, he looked and sounded awesome(That AVX theater sound is ridiculous)and they completely made up for Godzilla 98, but there wasnt enough of him in this one. Just my opinion.

What previews did they show before Godzilla for those of you who have seen it.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Quote Originally Posted by swishbig View Post
    What previews did they show before Godzilla for those of you who have seen it.
    I got the previous TF trailer, Maleficent, and no Interstellar.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    Now THAT is how you do a Godzilla movie. It was absolutely incredible; had a very classic feel to it that that you don't see in a lot of blockbusters these days.

Long live the King!
    Did you think it made up for the Emmerich attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    If I have to be honest, even to this day I'm not really familiar with the Godzilla mythology and I was watching the movie simply as a disaster film "from the creators of ID4" and I was pleased with what I got.

The critics can say whatever they wanna say about it, but at the end of the day the movie was just trying to entertain people, and in my case it succeeded.
    Well start by watching Godzilla (1954) both Japanese uncut in subtitles and US version Godzilla king of the Monsters (which is dubbed and has American actors in it even if it's edited/cut) versions on the Criterion blu-ray which has an amazing restoration to both cuts and see how much love they did in restoring a classic masterpiece of sci-fi cinema and one of Japan's best films.

I saw this movie and what a great monster movie! almost on par with Pacific Rim and quite faithful to the classic character unlike Emmerich's attempt which was a decent monster movie but a terrible Godzilla movie. WETA's effects are quite well made on the creature and this one delivered goods all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Did you think it made up for the Emmerich attempt?
    Made up for it? It wasn't trying to make up for anything. Having said that, this movie kicked the '98 film's ass, pounded it to a bloody pulp, vaporized it with its atomic breath, and took a Godzilla-sized sh*t on its charred remains.

Emmerich's attempt was not a Godzilla movie, because Godzilla wasn't in it.

THR:
    Box Office: 'Godzilla' Stomps Toward $100 Million Domestic Debut
    The summer's second tentpole took in a whopping $38.5 million on Friday, the biggest day of the year so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamela McClintock
    If traffic holds, the Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. tentpole could best the $95 million debut of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and the $91.6 million opening of The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Godzilla, earning a B+ CinemaScore, is doing especially strong business in Imax theaters, which generated $6.1 million in Friday ticket sales.

Pre-release tracking had suggested that Godzilla would reach $65 million in its domestic launch.
    DEADLINE:
    BOX OFFICE: ‘Godzilla’ Crushes It: $98M+

VARIETY:
    ‘Godzilla’ Crushes Box Office With Largest Opening Day of Year, Set for $98 Million Weekend
    Quote Originally Posted by Maane Khatchatourian
    The King of the Monsters is also king of the box office.

“Godzilla” obliterated the competition with a $38.5 million Stateside opening on Friday, the largest debut day of the year. This includes $9.3 million from Thursday night screenings. At $6.2 million, the creature feature also earned 2014′s biggest Imax opening.

The Warner Bros.-Legendary Pictures reboot of the Japanese classic is on track for a much-higher-than-anticipated $98 million this weekend, which would be the best opening of the year so far.

This also means the tentpole could top the openings of “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” and “The Amazing Spider-Man 2,” which launched to $95 million and $91.6 million, respectively.

If that figure holds, it will also mark the highest grossing debut for a monster movie to date, ahead of the last record holder, “The Lost World: Jurassic Park,” which opened to $72 million in 1997.

Gareth Edwards’ “Godzilla” is undoing the damage done by Sony’s 1998 big-budget disaster. Roland Emmerich’s pic starring Matthew Broderick opened to lackluster reviews and grossed only $6 million more Stateside than its $130 million production budget (it hauled $380 million worldwide). In fact, the last three Godzilla movies have flopped domestically, with “Godzilla 1985” grossing $4 million and “Godzilla 2000” making $10 million.

“Godzilla” had also grossed $20 million from more than 30 markets on Thursday, including $2 million in the U.K. from sneak screenings, $1.7 million in Russia and $1.4 million in Mexico. It opened in 64 international territories on Friday.

The $160 million blockbuster is the last film that WB is co-financing with Legendary — its producing partner of eight years. “Godzilla” is their first big-budget collaboration following last summer’s mixed bag “Pacific Rim.”

Legendary, which financed 75% of “Godzilla,” looks to be turning a new leaf following its recent trouble with the monster genre at the U.S. box office. “Pacific Rim’s” meager takings (it made $102 million domestic on a $190 million production budget) followed Bryan Singer’s “Jack the Giant Slayer” disappointment, another WB release.

Default Re: Godzilla 2

Box Office: 'Godzilla' Opens to Monstrous $93.2 Million in North America
    The summer's second tentpole -- likely launching a new Hollywood franchise -- opens to $103 million overseas for a global total of $196.2 million
    Gareth Edwards' Godzilla debuted to a monstrous $93.2 million from 3,952 theaters at the domestic box office, giving the iconic giant lizard a new lease on life and delivering the second-best opening of the year.

Godzilla, finally launching a Hollywood studio franchise headlined by the giant lizard, is a defining moment for Legendary Pictures, which spearheaded the reboot. Thomas Tull's Legendary financed 75 percent of Godzilla, with Warner Bros. putting up the rest of the money.

"Thomas Tull and his team did an incredible job and have delivered a new franchise," said Warners president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman.

Legendary no longer has a first-look deal with Warners -- it is now Universal's partner -- but the two companies will team on any further Godzilla movies, insiders say, adding that a sequel is already in the works.

"The tone of the movie was effectively communicated through the marketing," said Jon Jashni, Legendary's president and chief creative officer (Legendary and Warners worked on the campaign in tandem). Regarding a sequel, Jashni said Legendary will have to wait and see how this movie holds up.

‘Godzilla’ Sequel In The Works At Warner Bros. & Legendary
    Quote Originally Posted by ANITA BUSCH
    EXCLUSIVE: After opening to $103M internationally — the biggest opening of 2014 so far — and grossing $93M domestic stateside this weekend, it should come as no surprise that Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros.‘ are already developing a sequel to the monster hit. It was confirmed to Deadline this morning that a Godzilla sequel is underway. The beast is currently stomping across international markets to take No. 1 spots in most territories.

Edwards has talked about what he would do with a sequel, saying he would use the same kind of restraint that he did for this one. He learned well from watching Spielberg films as the monster was only talked about for the first part of this film. And, of course, there were those reaction shots that added to the suspense. Edwards was given the chance by Legendary’s Thomas Tull who put faith in him to pull this off, having previously done Monsters which only grossed $2.6M in total. Tull has played coy in the media on the subject of a sequel, waiting for Godzilla‘s monster opening to confirm sequel plans. As Dan Fellman (WBros. head of domestic distribution) pointed out, they made more in one night (probably one late night run at 7 PM) than Edwards’ movie did in its entire run. Legendary’s Jon Jashni developed this along with Brian Rogers and Mary Parent. Max Borenstein scripted from a story by David Callaham. Alex Garcia at Legendary was instrumental in the development of this film working, closely with both the director and writer.

It should be noted that there is an ongoing legal dispute over payments/credit on Godzilla winding its way through the courts with filmmakers Roy Lee, Dan Lin and Doug Davison who brought the property to Legendary.

VARIETY:
    Box Office: ‘Godzilla’ Stomps Into Theaters With Record Estimated $93 Mil
    Warner domestic distribution prexy Dan Fellman:
    “Looks like we’re going to have a nice healthy run, and a great franchise,”

The sequel is already in the works. That after it's first weekend at the box office. But just wait for the second and third week and it will take a major nose dive when people hear that this movie should have been called, Where's Godzilla? instead of just Godzilla, cause he's almost not even in the movie. Instead of having the lead role, he is a pure background character, like a supporting role to the two other monsters who have ten times more screen time than Godzilla. Had high hopes to see cool monster battle action and it took no less than 90! minutes of an two hour movie before you get to see him fight. If they make a sequel, I'll pass on it at the movies and wait till it's released on Blu-ray and rent it then for a couple of bucks instead of paying ten times more for a 3D ticket at the movies...
    If you wanna see real cool monster fights, then see Pacific Rim! It's ten times better than "Where is Godzilla?"

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=118484

Got to see this for my bday! Was planning on seeing it in IMAX next saturday only, but after hearing about all the hype that everyone has been giving it, I couldn't wait any longer! This movie was great! I don't remember too much of the original, but I do remember the 1998 version and this one definitely blows it out of the water!!! Only complaint is that I wish Godzilla had more screen time, and the fights between Godzilla and the Mutos were longer, but other than that, the movie was pure awesomeness!

I will still be seeing it in IMAX 3D. I can't wait to hear that roar again.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Box Office: ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ to Rule Memorial Weekend With $100-Million Plus
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Lang
    Last weekend’s box office heavyweight “Godzilla” won’t suffer the steep drop-off usually associated with tentpole films in their second week of release and may be the biggest factor in preventing “X-Men: Days of Future Past” from hitting a franchise-best debut. The picture should gross just shy of $50 million over the four-day period, a 47 % shave from last weekend’s $93 million opening. It will pass the $300 million mark worldwide when the weekend comes to a close. With a break-even point of $380 million, “Godzilla” is nearly assured profitability, setting the stage for sequels to come.
    THR:
    'Godzilla': The Story Behind That Distinctive Roar
    Sound editors and designers Erik Aadahl and Ethan Van der Ryn shed light on the lengthy process, including dissecting the 1954 roar's musical key.

io9:
    Reviewing the Science of Godzilla for Plausibility and Imagination

LA Times:
    'Godzilla's' monstrous costars: What do MUTOs mean for the franchise?
    'Godzilla's' most important costars aren't Bryan Cranston or Aaron Taylor-Johnson -- they're MUTOs

THR:
    'Star Wars' Spinoff Hires 'Godzilla' Director Gareth Edwards (Exclusive)

Quote Originally Posted by Borys Kit

"Gareth's filmmaking talent makes him one of his generation's most creative and visionary directors,” said Legendary Entertainment’s chairman and CEO Thomas Tull in a statement in response to the Star Wars hire. "The plan has always been for Gareth to direct a different film before we started on another Godzilla, but who knew it would a Star Wars installment? We have a great plan in store for Godzilla fans and I am looking forward to seeing Gareth’s imprint on the Star Wars universe."

WME-repped Edwards is attached to direct Godzilla 2 and 3, but while story ideas exist, the Godzilla 2 project is still in early development and does not even have a script.

The Secret Of Godzilla’s Success? Andy Serkis, Obviously.

Godzilla director hails Serkis' input
    With Godzilla now in Irish cinemas, director Gareth Edwards has told RTÉ TEN that Lord of the Rings star Andy Serkis' work as a motion capture consultant on his film forced him to discover the monster's identity.

Box Office: 'Godzilla' Conquers China With $10.9 Million Opening Day
    Box Office: '22 Jump Street' Surges With $60M; 'Dragon 2' Hits $50M
    Globally, Godzilla crossed the $400 million mark over the weekend, finishing Sunday with a total $429.6 million, including $248.3 million internationally.
    Legendary's Thomas Tull Talks 'Godzilla,' Universal Move, China Plans in Rare Interview
    As Legendary Pictures gets ready to unleash its new Godzilla movie on May 16, Legendary CEO Thomas Tull said that the $160 million movie could begin to turn a profit once it hits $450 million at the worldwide boxoffice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Kilday
    “Starting a new franchise, if it did $450 million worldwide, anything above that would be pretty good. It’s still expensive, but it’s not a $200 million movie,” Tull explained
    Legendary CEO Thomas Tull Talks GODZILLA, the Project’s Inception, the Slow Build Structure, the Prospect of a GODZILLA/PACIFIC RIM Crossover, More
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub
    Now that Legendary is affiliated with Universal is there a chance that someday we might see a King Kong versus Godzilla movie?

TULL: [Laughs] Wow, that’s…that’s pretty interesting.

You need to get on the phone with Peter and start talking about that.

TULL: Yeah, well look, our saying around our shop, “You can never have too many giant robots or monsters.”

Godzilla’s kind of a hero in this, he kind of comes in and stops these anomaly’s and King Kong’s kind of an anomaly so it kind of makes sense.

TULL: I love it all.

I’ll write pitch and send it off to you.

TULL: I’ll hear it, absolutely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub
    I know you don’t talk about sequels and I’m not even going to ask you about it. What I am going to ask though is…the movie cost around 160. I know there’s a lot of marketing costs, is there a magic number at Legendary that you are like, “We need to hit this number and everyone’s going to be very happy”?

TULL: You know…

I like putting you on the spot like that.

TULL: Yeah, I know you do. Look, I think for us if the movie does- I’d really like for it to at least have a four in front of it globally, and if it does that we’re in a good position.

So basically over five and six we’re talking about the S-word, or could be.

TULL: We love this universe, we love Godzilla, and if we’re fortunate enough to have a high class problem we’ll deal with it then.

CBM:
    GODZILLA Sequel To Enter Works If Successful In China
    Of course, what drew the most attention was Gareth's interview and his words after the premiere, in that if GODZILLA stomps successful in China than the second film of his GODZILLA trilogy will be pushed into production. And he honestly hopes for that to be made into a reality.

If MUTOS were mecha:
    OPAL

Vulture:
    9 Movie Questions That Might Be Answered at Comic-Con
    Will Legendary Move Forward With Godzilla 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Buchanan
    Director Gareth Edwards revived the Godzilla franchise this summer with a well-received reboot, but instead of readying the sequel, he decamped to a galaxy far, far away to shepherd a Star Wars spinoff. Legendary Pictures initially issued a statement congratulating Edwards on the gig and implied that it'd wait for the director to become available again before moving forward on Godzilla 2, but can the studio sit on its hands for that long, or will it hire someone else to helm the sequel? We'll know more after Legendary's Saturday morning panel.

Default Gmk 2?

Newsarama @ SDCC 2014:
    LEGENDARY PICTURES Panel Live! Godzilla 2 Confirmed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Siegel
    Moderator Jessica Chobot brought out CEO Thomas Tull to the stage, and he introduced a video message of Godzilla director Gareth Edwards "who is locked up in a galaxy far, far away."

"We get to make another one! But first I need a break from the pressure of working on a major franchise, so I'm here in San Francisco doing a little scifi film (a Star Wars one)." Yes, Edwards will be back to direct Godzilla 2, he confirmed.

Next came a bit of teaser footage showing warfare and "A secret remains hidden. There are OTHERS." A flying monster - yup, it's MOTHRA confrimed for the sequel. GHIDORAH confirmed for the sequel. "Conflict inevitable... Let. Them. Fight."

"Now we have more monsters to play with and we're excited about," Tull said, "Thank you Comic-Con, it all started here and we can't wait to show you more."