Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla

Default Re: Godzilla

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Sober View Post
    Eh, I have to say the design was bad for two reasons.

1) It didn't really look like Godzilla very much. Sure, it has some things in common, but they're more generic things that you could probably find on plenty of dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures. Spikes, scales, and being a bi-pedal creature aren't really enough.

2) I know we're suspending our disbelief already when it comes to Godzilla, so this factor shouldn't bug me as much as it does, but G'98 didn't make a whole lot of sense logically. He's too thin to support his own weight. I don't know they got the idea that the old Godzilla was "too fat" or something but at his size, he would need a considerable amount of muscle mass to keep from collapsing, so that aspect of the old Godzilla design actually made sense. Plus I THINK the horizontal posture made it more unrealistic too. It may have resembled dinosaurs like the T-Rex more accurately, but a T-Rex never got that big and thus never had to carry that much weight around. I'm not entirely sure about that part though.

All that said, however, I don't think the design is all that big an issue (though I do take issue with it). You're definitely right that the film sucked in and of itself because of a dumb script, dumb acting, and just a whole lot of dumb decisions. As a GODZILLA film, well...it really falls apart in the whole "Godzilla" department.
    I think design-wise, the idea was to try and get away from the 'man-in-a-suit' design, and to make Godzilla leaner and more agile (although I remember seeing a making-of feature where one of the men who wore the suit in the Toho films gave demonstrations of how he moved as Godzilla).

I feel like I should rewatch Godzilla '98 now, if only so I can go over it all again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Magnus View Post
    I think design-wise, the idea was to try and get away from the 'man-in-a-suit' design, and to make Godzilla leaner and more agile
    Which, as I pointed out, is a rather misguided direction to go in because it resulted in a design that made less sense.

Hollywood: Is 'Godzilla' The 'John Carter' Of 2014?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Furrier
    I wrote a prediction story on SiliconANGLE about the flops of 2014 in Hollywood. I got lots of emails on one of the movies Godzilla. It seems many in the “crowd” think of all the predictions, “Gozilla” will flop the most. After the megaton flop known as John Carter imploded harder than any movie in recent memory in 2012, costing Disney a $200M write down, several supposed “blockbusters” faced a similar fate at the box office in 2013.

In fact, in 2013, some of the biggest, most costliest misfires in cinema history were released, leading to over half a billion dollars in writeoffs for major studios. Led by such massive flops as “The Lone Ranger” ($190M writeoff), sci-fi disasters “R.I.P.D.,”and “After Earth,” the poorly received “White House Down,” and most recently the samurai CGI schlockfest “47 Ronin,” which had a negative cost of at least $175M before marketing is factored in and yet only opened at $20M, it was a year that prompted industry legends such as Steven Spielberg to say:

“There’s eventually going to be a big meltdown. There’s going to be an implosion where three or four or maybe even a half-dozen of these mega-budgeted movies go crashing into the ground and that’s going to change the paradigm…”

When it comes to box office success, trending on Twitter doesn’t translate to packing butts in seats. “Scott Pilgrim” was trending on Twitter and that bombed. Justin Beiber has 48 million followers on Twitter and yet seemingly none of them showed up for his latest theatrical masterpiece. The correlation of Twitter activity to theatrical receipts has yet to manifest itself in any repeatable, tangible way. There is a very high level of variability when it comes to social media impact on box office results. In our analysis “Hunger Games” was able to harness the power of social media to its advantage while other films have either generated social media buzz and fell apart at the box office or screwed up their social media initiatives altogether. ”John Carter,” for example, was a social media disaster that stumbled throughout its entire campaign.

Which brings us to 2014, and examining which movies are positioned to be the biggest bombs. Which movies will “go crashing into the ground” leading to the inevitable industry-wide paradigm change of VOD available day and date with wide theatrical releases as Spielberg and George Lucas prognosticate?

Before we begin, it’s important to keep in mind that studios only recoup approx. 50% of theatrical grosses, the rest being split with theater owners. This means that for a film that has a negative cost of $200M (the cost of the actual film production) and $100M in associated marketing costs (premieres, ads, events, airfare, etc.), grossing $300M at the global box office means the movie earned half of its total negative costs back, or $150M. Such a movie would need to make $600M theatrically to break even. Of course, the strength of digital downloads, video streaming, upfront cable and TV network sales and physical format distribution (a dying revenue stream) can most definitely help make up for a theatrical shortfall, but no studio greenlights a $200M summer movie with business plans that call for generating half that amount at the global box office. Which is why the industry change of making movies available on VOD concurrently with theatrical releases is inevitable as it would allow studios to recoup investments more quickly, particularly for a movie with horrendous word of mouth, as many of these recent mega flops have had.

So for 2014, what are the surefire bets? What are the riskiest movie ventures out there? Who is approaching social media the right way? And what genres are still marketable?

Following are our predictions and analysis for the Top Three biggest flops of 2014, in order of magnitude (net loss):

1)Godzilla. Hands down, “Godzilla” will be the biggest box office bomb of 2014.

Godzilla as a character is box office poison. The fact is the last 3 Godzilla movies released domestically have flopped: “Godzilla 1985” made $4M; “Godzilla 2000” made a whopping $10M and the last attempt at a Hollywood-style big budget remake, also called “Godzilla” bombed so bad that its lead toy licensee went bankrupt. Had the movie made a profit the studio wouldn’t have just let the rights expire in 2003 without even attempting a reboot or sequel. They had 5 years to make a new film based on this property yet they passed. Think about it—Sony, the studio that greenlights sequels to most anything—”Resident Evil 6″ is on the horizon and don’t forget about “Underworld 5″—walked away from investing another cent in Godzilla.

Moreover, the last Godzilla movie produced was a decade ago—“Godzilla: Final Wars”—and that bombed so hard that the studio, Toho, Co. Ltd., put the entire franchise on ice. That movie cost $20M and made $12M in Japan and had the lowest admission numbers for a Godzilla movie in nearly 30 years. Following that bomb, the film’s director, Ryuhei Kitamura, has been cranking out budget-rate horror slasher flicks ever since—choice fare like “Midnight Meat Train” and “No One Lives.”

Aside from Godzilla, the giant monster genre as a whole is anemic. “King Kong” flopped, despite having Peter Jackson at the helm; “Pacific Rim” bombed, despite having umpteen giant monsters battling on screen; “Gamera the Brave,” about a lumbering giant turtle monster, delivered weak numbers at the box office; and if you go to the outer edges of the giant monster genre, recent films like “Jack the Giant Slayer” bombed and “Walking with Dinosaurs” flopped as well.

The bottom line is if Peter Jackson couldn’t turn “King Kong” into a mega-size box office hit, the chances that an indie film director—Gareth Edwards—attempting to make a big budget giant monster action film like “Godzilla” a global, profitable hit are essentially nonexistent.

The $160M “Godzilla” is also sandwiched between some of the summer’s sure-fire mega hits, with Sony’s the “Amazing Spider-Man 2” coming at it with strong tailwinds just two weeks before, and the double team of Adam Sandler’s latest summer comedy “Blended” and Fox’s “X-Men: Days of Future Past,” opening just one week later with strong headwinds pointing right at “Godzilla.” “Godzilla” will essentially be getting hit from all sides, and theater owners will be allocating more screens for “X-Men” and “Spider-Man” rather than take a chance on empty theaters screening “Godzilla.”

It’s also worth noting that the marketing to date for “Godzilla” has been rather weak (and nearly invisible). This appears to be continuing—and part of the plan—as Warner Bros. has elected not to feature a “Godzilla” trailer during the upcoming Super Bowl, while “Amazing Spider-Man 2” and “X-Men” are there in full force.

Considering that “Godzilla” is the last film that Warner Bros. is cofinancing with former producing partner, Legendary Pictures, we believe that Godzilla’s box office results aren’t exactly WB’s top priority at this time. Especially considering that the studio is opening up an Adam Sandler summer comedy only one week after Godzilla’s release. It should also be noted that WB is only financing 25% of “Godzilla,” so its exposure is minimal. And since the two companies have effectively divorced, we don’t expect a “full court press” on the marketing front from WB, who is distributing worldwide except for Japan.

Trailer Talk: Can 'Godzilla' 2014 Top 'Godzilla' 1998?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mendelson
    I’m of mixed minds over the fact that this first teaser for Gareth Edwards’s Godzilla reboot flat-out shows the title creature. The pre-reveal teaser was effective enough in establishing real-world dread and showing off its human stars (Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Bryan Cranston, and David Strathairn ) that you arguably didn’t need the reveal. So yes, on one hand I would have preferred that Warner Bros. tease a bit more for at least the first teaser, perhaps gradually revealing the monster in all of its glory either closer to the release date or perhaps not at all.

On the other hand, and presuming that there aren’t other surprises not yet revealed at this juncture, Sony tried the same “hide the monster” trick with their Godzilla in 1998 and it was an infamous flop, partially because audiences didn’t care for the somewhat lizard-like look to the infamous creature. Warner understandably has to reassure fans that Godzilla will in fact look like Godzilla. I understand, but it still feels like a slight loss.

But was Roland Emmerich’s Godzilla really a flop back in the day? I of course dissected the box office performance of Roland Emmerich’s Godzilla back in May for that film’s 15th anniversary. Long-story short, the film grossed $138 million domestic and $379 million worldwide on a $125 million budget. By today’s standards, those kind of numbers get you a sequel, as evidenced by Snow White and the Huntsman HUN -3.07%($396m on a $170m budget = probable sequel).

Adjusted for inflation, those numbers would be about $230m domestic and $633m worldwide, and that’s not even accounting for fifteen years of overseas expansion and the 3D and IMAX bumps that of course didn’t exist in 1998. Pacific Rim barely crossed $400m worldwide on a $180m cost yet we may (possibly) get a second go-around there too, although I wouldn’t bet on it unless they can get a major star this time.

Point being, it will be interesting to see how we measure the success of this new Godzilla compared to the older one. Obviously we can hope that Edwards’s version is a better film than Emmerich’s version, and this trailer certainly looks like a step in the right, terrifying direction. But the whole “Godzilla = 9/11″ gimmick was already done pretty effectively with Cloverfield back in 2008, at least on a localized scale. It will be interesting to see what new thematic material this can bring to the table.

What we’re probably going to see box office-wise, barring an earthshaking success, is a new Godzilla that is hailed as a major win for merely out grossing the previous version even if it in fact sells far fewer tickets. Inflation is a tricky business, as audiences had far fewer ways to see a film outside of a theater even back in 1998 and had far fewer distractions for their entertainment dollar.

But this is a clear comparison case where it will be worth watching the old “tickets sold” stat, even if only for curiosity. The two films will make good comparison points about the growth of the international film market as well as a host of other variables that have changed over the last fifteen years. Godzilla opens in 2D, 3D, and IMAX on May 16th, 2014, or sixteen years and four days to the day of Roland Emmerich’s Godzilla. As always, we’ll see.

Godzilla (2014) Trailer #2 Rumored For February 7th
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt McGloin
    The Lebanese movie site Emileeid.com reports Godzilla trailer #2 will be released on Friday, February 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by MrX View Post
    It was indeed, the original film was a real monster film and pretty much what came afterward (up toward the 70s) Was really Kid oriented. Godzilla 1985 is still one of my favorites in the series and I have high hopes for this one.
    Yup, i saw Godzilla 1985 in theaters when i was 4 years old and loved it and i have it on DVD with both US/Japanese in subs uncut version.

The trailer looks good and this should be a winner.

THR:
    Trailer Report: 'Godzilla' Teaser Outpaces New Previews for '300: Rise of an Empire,' 'Maleficent'
    The second spot for the "The Raid 2" was the only other new coming attraction in a top ten that otherwise featured returning favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lewis

The first teaser for the new Godzilla update was the most-viewed coming attraction on YouTube for the week ending Jan. 26.

The trailer recorded 4.8 million views on YouTube, according to technology company Zefr, which tracks the numbers. The flame-throwing monster's preview has notched 27.8 million total views since its release on Dec. 10. The movie starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen opens May 16.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Yup, i saw Godzilla 1985 in theaters when i was 4 years old and loved it and i have it on DVD with both US/Japanese in subs uncut version.

The trailer looks good and this should be a winner.
    Where the hell did you get Godzilla 1985 on DVD you lucky bastard? I always really, really liked that one but it's never gotten an official Region 1 DVD release thanks to some lame distribution rights issues.

Where the hell did you get Godzilla 1985 on DVD you lucky bastard? I always really, really liked that one but it's never gotten an official Region 1 DVD release thanks to some lame distribution rights issues.
    I've seen it listed on ebay.You should try there. It might not be region 1 but it's a start.

With the news about some older G flicks coming to Blu-Ray,I am waiting for that to get the Blu treatment.

Default Re: Gojira

Original 1954 Japanese ‘Godzilla’ Making Rare U.S. Theatrical Run
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Zakarin
    Now, Rialto Pictures is releasing in American theaters a new restoration of the 1954 film “Godzilla,” as it was seen by Japanese moviegoers 60 years ago. The Toho cut will play at the TCM Classic Film Festival on April 12, before beginning a run at New York’s Film Forum the next week and rolling out to cities throughout the country. Its practical effects — with miniature cities and other classic devices of the bygone era — will be seen more in greater detail thanks to the restored cut.

http://www.rialtopictures.com/godzilla.html

:: April 18 – 24 NEW YORK, NY Film Forum
    :: April 25 – May 1 SANTA FE, NM Jean Cocteau Cinema
    :: May 2 – 5 PORTLAND, OR Hollywood Theatre
    :: May 2 – 8 SEATTLE, WA SIFF Cinema Uptown
    :: May 23 – 26 HOUSTON, TX The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
    :: May 28 LEXINGTON, KY Kentucky Theatre
    :: July 17 COLUMBUS, OH Wexner Center for the Arts

Movie Maniac:
    The new #GODZILLA trailer (#2) will debut online on February 27! It is narrated by Bryan Cranston! #GodzillaTrailer

Damn, he's almost comically huge on that poster.

Judging by the buildings, he's almost twice the size of the original. Still cant wait to see this though.

From the AICN talkbacks:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaytattoo
    You know the bugs that fall off the Cloverfield monster?

Well the Cloverfield monster Is the bug that fell off that ******* beast.
    The Outhousers:
    SIZE DOES MATTER in New 'Godzilla' Poster
    As we still await a new trailer (the latest rumors are now that it's been pushed back to be tied with the 300: Rise of an Empire sequel out in March) Yahoo Movies! has been given this exclusive new poster for the movie which showcases just how tall this version of Godzilla is

That's just waaaay toooooo biiiiiiig
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Something tells me that poster's not accurate to what we're going to see on film.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardkore View Post
    I've seen it listed on ebay.You should try there. It might not be region 1 but it's a start.

With the news about some older G flicks coming to Blu-Ray,I am waiting for that to get the Blu treatment.
    I got it at a comic con and you can get them at comic cons and sci-fi cons or whatever con there is

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I got it at a comic con and you can get them at comic cons and sci-fi cons or whatever con there is
    Ahhh. So I can get it from the Decepticons too?

ROAR

That movie is gonna redefine the term "large".

Fantastic!!!

"They were trying to kill it."

Holy sh!t.