Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla

Default Re: Godzilla

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    However, they could make "Godzilla vs King Kong" the movie, if they truly want Godzilla to work in a Westernised setting. After all, King Kong is a Western icon (right?) so he should work fine in a western film, and have Godzilla as the villain (as usual, because he is not Western, and he gate-crashes into the West and goes head to head with the Western hero monster King Kong). Yeah something like that. I mean its happened in the comic books (I know they did Godzilla vs King Kong) so hey why not try to make a film out of it?
    Actually it has been done before, you would simply be doing another remake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Kong_vs._Godzilla

The only real problem is that they would need to get the size ratio right. Otherwise it would seem like King Kong had been eating miracle grow or something.

Nice.

They should do a remake already then.

But this time have the events set in America instead, and have the movie titled "Godzilla vs King Kong" instead to not have it confused with the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Godzilla is a Japanese icon, so it's hard to translate into American film.

It's like this... you can't take, say, a Yakuza (a Japanese mob) and have it portray a Mafia (a Western mob) or vice versa. No way thats gonna work.

There is no way you're gonna take Godzilla and try to "Westernise" it. It's never gonna work. Theres something about Godzilla that only works in a Japanese way. Because it is a Japanese icon.

However, they could make "Godzilla vs King Kong" the movie, if they truly want Godzilla to work in a Westernised setting. After all, King Kong is a Western icon (right?) so he should work fine in a western film, and have Godzilla as the villain (as usual, because he is not Western, and he gate-crashes into the West and goes head to head with the Western hero monster King Kong). Yeah something like that. I mean its happened in the comic books (I know they did Godzilla vs King Kong) so hey why not try to make a film out of it?
    Actually you can take Japanese icons and translate them into other things. For instance, Seven Samurai was a samurai film, and it was remade into The Magnificent Seven, a western. In fact a lot of samurai films were made into westerns. Yojimbo was made into the classic western A Fistful of Dollars, and the irony is not only was that film made by Italians (hence it being called a spaghetti western) but Yojimbo was actually an adaptation of a detective novel by Dashiell Hammett!

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Sober View Post
    Actually you can take Japanese icons and translate them into other things. For instance, Seven Samurai was a samurai film, and it was remade into The Magnificent Seven, a western. In fact a lot of samurai films were made into westerns. Yojimbo was made into the classic western A Fistful of Dollars
    You can't, which is why the movies you mentioned had their titles "renamed" in the West. Seven Samurai = Magnificent Seven?? Hey, here's a better idea, why not just use the title Seven Samurai for western audiences? Because the word Samurai itself works only in a Japanese way. The same way the name Godzilla has become synonymous with "Japanese" in modern times. If they wanna translate this monster into West they could rename "Godzilla" as "Jurassic Park" yeah that would work. Or better yet, bring in King Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor

You can't, which is why the movies you mentioned had their titles "renamed" in the West. Seven Samurai = Magnificent Seven?? Hey, here's a better idea, why not just use the title Seven Samurai for western audiences? Because the word Samurai itself works only in a Japanese way. The same way the name Godzilla has become synonymous with "Japanese" in modern times. If they wanna translate this monster into West they could rename "Godzilla" as "Jurassic Park" yeah that would work. Or better yet, bring in King Kong.
    I don't agree. Godzilla is a Japanese icon that is also well known across the globe. Nothing needs to be "changed" for western audiences. I think Emmerich had that same Jurrasic Park idea. He tried to change Godzilla for western audiences and you saw what happened with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide
    Not a fan of the spiked arms. Too porcupine-ish

^I believe it has been confirmed to be fake. (one of the images is fan concept from a deviantArt page from about 2 years ago) -

http://cheungchungtat.deviantart.com...a-02-188708324

From the comicon footage:

Granted they pulled a TRON and surprised the crowd, which also means (like TRON:Legacy) the final product might be different from the footage shown.

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post

From the comicon footage:

Long Live the King!!! (plausible tagline, anyone?)
    Ya just wanna die for the guy. Now that's leadership... Or brainwashing or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lbrosfilm

Long Live the King!!! (plausible tagline, anyone?)
    You aren't the only one who thought of that one.

IT'S OFFICIAL:

MAY 16th, 2014 in 3D

http://collider.com/godzilla-release...5/#more-195445

The same day as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. (I'm sure release dates will change as we get closer; I can hardly see the studios trying to open two huge tent-pole fan-based action movies on the same day. Plus, that way I can attend both midnight shows. )

Regardless, 2014 is shaping up to be my dream summer movie season. TMNT, Transformers, and now Godzilla!!!
    Ya just wanna die for the guy. Now that's leadership... Or brainwashing or something.

About SCIFI JAPAN TV:
    Shot on location in Japan exclusively for the SciFi Japan website (link below), produced by the Gaijin Channel team, SciFi JAPAN TV delves into the world of Japanese monsters and scifi, featuring the latest and hottest tokusatsu events in Japan, as well as simple yet in-depth discussions with the people who bring all of our favorite films and television shows to life!

SCIFI JAPAN website:
    http://www.scifijapan.com
    SciFi Japan TV #01 Ultraman Max Producer

SciFi Japan TV #02 Tokusatsu Museum

SciFi Japan TV #03 The Man Who Became Godzilla

SciFi Japan TV Vlog #01 Meeting Godzilla

THE NEWS BUNDLE: Gareth Edwards' 'Godzilla' To Start Vancouver Production in March 2013

http://www.filmthrasher.com/2012/10/...zilla.html?m=1

THE NEWS BUNDLE October 3, 2012:
    Gareth Edwards' 'Godzilla' To Start Vancouver Production in March 2013

Earlier this month, Warner Brothers and Legendary Pictures decided to let monster movie fans start counting down the days as they set the date for the big screen revival of Godzilla. Though we still have over a year and a half until we get to see the cinematic icon rage across Tokyo once more, it's clear that casting will be getting underway soon as possible for a filming start next year. Now today, we know exactly when that will be as the first details regarding Godzilla's production start has been revealed.

One on-site reporter for OLV (On Location Vacations) tweets, "Godzilla remake will be coming to Vancouver in March 2013, tentatively". This remake is of course from director Gareth Edwards (Monsters) and has been in development for over a year already. The big green giant made his Comic-Con return in 2011, where he returned in style just one year later back in July with the first teaser trailer during the WB/Legendary panel.

With a screenplay by David Callaham (The Expendables films), David S. Goyer (the Dark Knight trilogy) and Max Borenstein (upcoming The Seventh Son), the upcoming film promises to "return the character to its epic roots with a gritty, realistic actioner". Edwards will be shooting Godzilla in 3D, with a release set for May 16th 2014.

No lead human characters have yet been cast, but we'll keep you updated on future developments.
    Exclusive: Cinematographer Seamus McGarvey Hopes To Return For 'Avengers 2' (Plus His Thoughts On 'Godzilla')

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Taylor
    McGarvey has lined up another huge property, Warner Bros.' pricey "Godzilla" reboot, which features a script co-written by (amongst others) "The Dark Knight" scribe David S. Goyer and Marvel favorite Drew Pearce, to be directed by Gareth Edwards, who made a name for himself with indie sensation "Monsters."

"We haven't really worked out what we're doing yet. We don't start shooting until March of next year," McGarvey said. "I'm in the process of testing what our visual approach will be." He had nothing but great things to say about Edwards, who will be making his big-budget debut. "It's wonderful working with Gareth. He's a wonderful filmmaker and somebody who understands the camera," McGarvey remarked.

McGarvey then boiled down what makes Edwards so special: "It's great working with people who understand the history of cinema and the unique properties of cinematography and use the camera like a writer uses words, so it's not just a witness to big explosions and spectacle. It's something that has a thought out and intelligent approach to storytelling."

"Godzilla" comes out on May 16th, 2014, with "Avengers 2" to follow the next summer. "Anna Karenina" opens on Friday.

From Collider November 14th, 2012:
    Cinematographer Seamus McGarvey Says GODZILLA Starts Filming in March; Reveals Joss Whedon Has Asked Him to Return for AVENGERS 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Chitwood
    ]McGarvey is set as the cinematographer on Warner Bros. and Legendary’s upcoming Godzilla reboot directed by Gareth Edwards, so Steve asked if he could reveal anything about the highly anticipated monster movie. Though he was remiss to get into plot details, he did reveal the production schedule:
    “We start in March. March ‘til June, I think.”
    At Comic-Con earlier this year, Legendary showed a tease of Godzilla test footage that Edwards shot that had the crowd going wild. McGarvey revealed that they haven’t nailed down the exact visual approach just yet, but he starts prep next week:
    “We still haven’t chosen the direction we’re going visually. I’m sort of testing next week, in fact, for that stuff.”

I love how this shot leaks right after the Pacific Rim trailer dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post

I love how this shot leaks right after the Pacific Rim trailer dropped.
    Can you blame them? Both are tied to Legendary.

Exclusive: 'Godzilla' loses two producers but gains a start date

Legendary's take on the classic character is getting ready to start production

Quote Originally Posted by Drew McWeeny
    It looks like Godzilla's path of destruction en route to a start date for the Legendary Pictures update of the classic Toho monster has claimed two new victims, as producers Dan Lin and Roy Lee depart the project this week.

Both Lin and Lee are major production partners for Warner Bros, and I'm sure they're both plenty busy with other upcoming films. Lin, for example, is a producer on the "Lego" movie that is in production now, he's part of the ongoing "Sherlock Holmes" series, and he's attached to remakes of Stephen King's "It" and the anime series "Death Note," both in development. Most importantly, he's part of the team working to figure out "Justice League." Lee is partnered with Lin on "Death Note" and "It," and he's currently busy with plenty other projects like the "Oldboy" remake, the "Poltergeist" update, a sequel to "The Woman In Black," and a brand new "Battle Royale."

Recently, there was an event on the studio lot where director Gareth Edwards put together a show-and-tell in one of the stages on the Warner lot to walk the studio through his vision of the film, and it went well enough that the studio now seems committed to a March start date for the film.

I recently was talking to someone who seemed confused about the idea that Warner Bros would want to make two giant-scale movies about giant monsters, but there's going to be a pretty major difference between what Edwards has in mind for "Godzilla" and what Guillermo Del Toro is doing for "Pacific Rim." Guillermo's movie is all about world-building, designing an entire alternate history for our world and trying to imagine all the changes that would happen if we were faced with a decade-long war against creatures from some other world. Edwards is trying to ground his take on "Godzilla" in a very recognizable present-day. The world of that film is our world, and anyone who saw the Comic-Con presentation last summer can attest to the serious tone of the footage.

I'm just excited to see someone treat this iconic character with reverence in a new film. I'm still wincing every time I think of the Devlin/Emmerich version, and I'm glad that they've taken their time getting this one ready. I'm not sure why Lin and Lee were let go, but basically this is a case of the studio and Legendary finally having a clear idea of what film they're making and just being sure that everyone onboard the picture shares that same vision.

Right now, "Godzilla" is being thought of as a 2014 release.

From CHUD:
    EXCLUSIVE: LEGENDARY’S GODZILLA TO FEATURE MORE THAN ONE MONSTER
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelly
    The promotional arm of Warner Bros. just wrapped a webinar detailing their upcoming slate for advertisers. Most of it fluff, though a few things regarding WB / Legendary’s upcoming Godzilla reboot got my source’s attention. In the meeting, the following was 100% confirmed:

• The film will feature more than one monster, confirming that two new monsters will also be wreaking havoc – this in addition to the big guy.

Warner Bros. made it clear that their interpretation of the material “follows the story of a solider” and is “way different” than the Toho Godzilla films.

This isn’t “grain of salt” news, as whatever script they have before Frank Darabont gets his crack features the above information. The fact they’re rolling this info to advertisers indicates the likeliness of Godzilla facing off against a couple of new beasts.

Default Re: Godzilla aka Nautilus?

'Godzilla' smites Lin and Lee; seeks Parent guidance
    Producer swap, Darabont rewrite come weeks before production
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave McNary
    Some serious rumblings are coming from Legendary Pictures' "Godzilla" just weeks before lensing is set to begin.

Scheduled for a March start, "Godzilla" is going forward without producers Dan Lin and Roy Lee, as Legendary has exercised its option to remove the Warner Bros. lot-based production partners from the project they brought to the studio in 2010. In the same stroke, the studio is bringing aboard "Pacific Rim" producer Mary Parent, who's based at Paramount.

Meanwhile Frank Darabont, who brought life to "The Walking Dead" at AMC, has been hired to work on the script, studio sources confirmed to Variety. Studio is considering several actors for parts, including "Man of Steel" star Henry Cavill, Scoot McNairy and Caleb Landry Jones.

Legendary announced plans for "Godzilla" under its co-production and co-financing deal with Warner Bros. in March 2010. Lin and Lee, who both have first-look deals with Warners, were involved from the start, but Legendary is buying them out. Legendary's Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni remain as producers, along with Brian Rogers.

Lin and the studio had no comment about the development, first reported on the website Hitfix. Deadline first reported the Darabont and Parent developments.

"Godzilla" is set for a May 16, 2014 release with a promise that Godzilla will return to "its epic roots with a gritty, realistic actioner." Gareth Edwards directs from a screenplay by David Callaham, David S. Goyer and Max Borenstein. The 3D film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. except in Japan, where it will be distributed by Toho Co.

Legendary had announced in March, 2011, that it had closed the rights deal for "Godzilla" with Japan's Toho Co., which has overseen more than 25 "Godzilla" films.

Lin is a producer on the "Sherlock Holmes" films and "Gangster Squad," which premieres in Los Angeles on Monday opens Friday. He's partnered with Lee on "Lego" and a remake of Stephen King's "It." Lee is working on an "Oldboy" remake for FilmDistrict.
    Its from AICN:
    UPDATED Another big Godzilla update hits! A new, awesome geek writer involved?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Quint
    UPDATE - Quint here again with a mini update on Godzilla's production. Sources tell me the exact date production starts is March 14th and filming will take place in Vancouver and Hawaii. Locals might want to be on the lookout for giant footprints, destroyed building, mobs of running Japanese businessmen and signs using Godzilla's working title "Nautilus." Original story below!

From THR:
    'Godzilla' Studio Sues Producers in Battle Over Credit and Money
    Legendary Pictures is sparring with the producers of the potential monster franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Belloni
    Legendary Pictures, the studio behind a planned reboot of the Godzilla movie franchise, has sued the producers of the film over whether they are entitled to remain on the project.

In a lawsuit filed Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court and obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, Legendary seeks a court order to enforce a contract it says allows the studio to dump producers Dan Lin, Roy Lee and Doug Davison in advance of the start of production on the new Godzilla movie. Legendary says it has a March 2011 contract with Lin Pictures and Lee's Vertigo Entertainment that requires it to involve the producers only if they are "deemed to be engaged" to produce the film.

But Legendary says the producing team did little to justify being included on the project.

"Defendants efforts on the project consisted only of introducing a screenwriter to Legendary and contributing notes to a screenplay which Legendary subsequently decided to not utilize," the lawsuit states. "Legendary judged that Defendants offered little to the ongoing production of the film, and that their likely role (if engaged) would not warrant the substantial fees and backend compensation that they could potentially earn as producers."

Accordingly, the lawsuit states, "Legendary notified Defendants in writing that it would not be engaging their services to produce the film."

That notification did not sit well the producers, who, according to the lawsuit, threatened to rush into court and seek a restraining order to prevent the film from going forward. Legendary filed suit first to seek arbitration of the contract dispute.

Godzilla, the Japanese monster property, is getting a new treatment from Legendary, Warner Bros. and director Gareth Edwards. The project is ramping up for a spring production start.

But THR reported on Monday that Lin and Lee, who brought the project to Legendary, were sparring with the studio over the creative direction of the film. Legendary also was said to have wanted the producers to reduce their fees. When the pair declined, the company began the process of booting them from the project.

Legendary argues that the producers are entitled "at most" to a $25,000 development fee, and it seeks a court approval to go to arbitration.

Larry Stein, the producers' lawyer, declined to comment on the lawsuit.

The suit, filed by Dale Kinsella and Gregory Korn at Santa Monica's Kinsella Weitzman firm, seeks a declaration from the court that the March 2011 agreement be enforced and the case be sent to an arbitrator.

Bryan Cranston, Elizabeth Olsen in Talks to Star in 'Godzilla'
    Quote Originally Posted by Borys Kit
    The logline is being kept under wraps but Heat Vision can tell you to expect plenty of monsters in this creature feature.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=100201

Word broke just days ago that Elizabeth Olsen was up for a role in Gareth Edward's upcoming reboot of the Godzilla franchise and, today, Olsen confirmed her involvement in the project on the BAFTA red carpet.

"It's definitely not lighthearted," Olsen says of Edwards' take. "It's kind of going back to its roots of the original Japanese film."

The 1954 original was directed by Ishirô Honda and the Godzilla character (originally Gojira) was designed to serve as an allegory for nuclear weapons. Especially compared to some of the campier sequels that would follow, Godzilla is a decidedly somber film and it appears that that tone will be emulated in Edwards' version.

Likely to also star Bryan Cranston and Aaron Johnson, Godzilla hits theaters May 16, 2014.

Vancouver Film Production Update - March 2013

NAUTILUS
    Local Production Company: Nemo Productions - Can, Inc.
    Director: Gareth Edwards
    Exec. Producer(s): Alex Garcia, Patty Whitcher
    Producer: Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni, Mary Parent
    DOP: Seamus McGarvey
    PD: Owen Paterson
    PM: Jim Rowe
    PC: Adrienne Sol
    LM: Rino Pace
    ALM: Jason Collier
    Cast: Aaron Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Bryan Cranston
    SPFX Coord: Joel Whist
    Sched: Mar 18/13 - Jun 29/13
    Email: nautilusoffice@gmail.com

Monster blockbuster starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson to film scenes in Victoria

Production Begins on GODZILLA; Ken Watanabe Joins Cast

WARNER BROS. PICTURES AND LEGENDARY PICTURES

ANNOUNCE CAST AND START OF PRODUCTION FOR “GODZILLA”

BURBANK, CA, March 18, 2013 – Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today the final principal cast for the upcoming tent pole “Godzilla.” Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Ken Watanabe, Elizabeth Olsen, and Juliette Binoche are starring in the film, with David Strathairn and Bryan Cranston.

The companies also announced that principal photography began today on location in Vancouver.

Gareth Edwards is directing the film from a screenplay by Max Borenstein, Frank Darabont and Dave Callaham. Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing with Mary Parent and Brian Rogers. Alex Garcia and Patricia Whitcher are serving as executive producers alongside Yoshimitsu Banno and Kenji Okuhira.

A presentation of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, “Godzilla” will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, except in Japan, where it will be distributed by Toho Co., Ltd. Legendary Pictures is a division of Legendary Entertainment.

Slated to open on May 16, 2014, the film is expected to be presented in 3D.
    'Godzilla': Ken Watanabe Joins Cast as Production Gets Underway
    Principal photography on the Warner Bros. project, due out May 16, 2014, kicked off Monday in Vancouver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie Schillaci
    Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures announced Monday that principal photography has begun on next year's 3D tentpole, Godzilla, in Vancouver.

It was also announced that Inception actor Ken Watanabe has joined the cast, which already includes Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche, David Strathairn and Bryan Cranston. Details about the storyline and characters are being kept under wraps, but as The Hollywood Reporter previously noted, Olsen will play Johnson’s girlfriend and Cranston will play his stepfather.

Monsters helmer Gareth Edwards is directing the film from a screenplay by Max Borenstein, Frank Darabont and Dave Callahan, with Mary Parent, Brian Rogers and Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni producing.

Godzilla is due to hit theaters on May 16, 2014.