Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla

Default Godzilla

From BD:The Mighty 'Godzilla' Will Roar Once More!

Quote Originally Posted by [B]MrDisgusting[/B]
    55 years and 28 movies later, the Japanese monster Godzilla is looking to make his return to big screens everywhere. Making his first appearance in 1954 (Gojira) Godzilla is a giant monster that lives in the sea that comes from the ocean to feed on mankind. Bloody Disgusting has learned exclusively that Legendary Pictures is looking to do another major movie with the iconic horror monster (they are in early discussions), although there are NO details at this point other than this should be a reboot. In 1998, TriStar Pictures produced a remake set in New York City, directed by Roland Emmerich and starring Matthew Broderick. In recent interviews for 2012 Emmerich has said that he's not interested in sequels (even though all of his disaster movies are basically the same).

Hell yeah! It's about f-ing time!

From AICN:
    Oh, Boy...Is Legendary Pictures Gearing Up For A GODZILLA Reboot??
    From /film:
    Rumor: New Godzilla Movie in Discussion Stage at Legendary Pictures?
    From FirstShowing.net:
    Rumor: Legendary Pictures Developing New Godzilla Movie?!
    From twitch:
    Godzilla to return to the US to wreck havoc again? yes please.

Default Re: Godzilla

Lets hope It's better than the 1998 film. While I thought it was an okay film, They just couldn't seem to get Godzilla's size right (His size seemed to change throughout the movie).

I hope it will be good.

I hope they'll depict Godzilla as a tragic icon, not just a giant reptile.

Quote Originally Posted by sora View Post
    now that would be cool..like the original..and hes got to look like Godzilla.

Sweet that Toho is reviving this

Godzilla needs muscle, lot's of it. I mean, for something so big, he would need all of that strength to be able to move his weight around. Of course, more muscle will only increase his weight. Hopefully we'll see a Godzilla that's very faithful to the traditional one but at the same time will be able to be believable and not look like a guy in a rubber suit.

Quote Originally Posted by sora View Post
    Despite the many many failings of the American Godzilla, I thought it had a really sad and tragic end. In fact, I would go as far as to say it was one of the best death scenes I've seen.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

I actually like the way they designed the American Godzilla. Problem was, they made him a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    I actually like the way they designed the American Godzilla. Problem was, they made him a bitch.
    His son was a true badass in the animated series.

How now? I that correctly understood? It again give to Godzilla? And Roland Emmerich lives still? From that I saw and belonged for a long time nothing more… a miracle. I liked always gladly the old film look. Those always were stretching. With RE' s Godzilla I found end a tragedy. There to me the monster did in such a way suffering which I not to look could not. Purely theoretically it did not want to only live and humans anything do. But well… senseless makes also sense… hihi
    Sam Witwicky: He peed on you? Bad Mojo! Bad!
    Ironhide: Bad Mojo! Ugh, my foot's gonna rust...

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Call me crazy, but I actually liked "Godzilla" / 1998 /.

I don't know, personally I expected a big and fun adventure and that's exactly what I got - I really liked the technical stuff, the cinematography, the production design, the music, the locations...

And I can honestly say that it was way better than the last Emmerich film - 10,000 BC.

Only my humble opinion.

10.000BC was good. Pleased me. Above all the sound in the cinema… hihi. But somehow silent movies are then nevertheless not my thing.
    Sam Witwicky: He peed on you? Bad Mojo! Bad!
    Ironhide: Bad Mojo! Ugh, my foot's gonna rust...

Quote Originally Posted by Nenita View Post
    10.000BC was good. Pleased me.

Well, I wouldn't call myself a fan of "10,000 BC", but I guess it was good for what it was.

But in my opinion, "Godzilla" was overall a better movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    Well, I wouldn't call myself a fan of "10,000 BC", but I guess it was good for what it was.

But in my opinion, "Godzilla" was overall a better movie.
    The problem with Godzilla was that the character was all wrong. It really was Godzilla in name only.. It was okay as a regular monster movie, but as a Godzilla movie, it fails. Not to mention it had the worst lead actress in the history of film.

Regardless of the old crappy model effects, I have to say Gojira is the best out of all the other Godzilla films.

I really liked Cloverfield and hope they do the movie somewhat like that. Maybe more destruction and a bigger budget.

Quote Originally Posted by uraydo View Post
    Despite the many many failings of the American Godzilla, I thought it had a really sad and tragic end. In fact, I would go as far as to say it was one of the best death scenes I've seen.
    I felt sorry for Godzilla in the end as well. And yeah, that death scene really helped with that, IMHO. Poor Godzilla

I like the movie. Fun to watch. It's not the best movie ever made, but it's a lot better then some other junk I've seen (like Torque...ugh). And when I watch it, I like correcting the characters who can't pronounce Tatopoulos right (za-top-a-lous).

As for new movie, Legendary Pictures...they did 300 and the new Batman movies, right? If so, that could be make for an interesting Godzilla...

Quote Originally Posted by Spruebox View Post

As for new movie, Legendary Pictures...they did 300 and the new Batman movies, right? If so, that could be make for an interesting Godzilla...
    It all depends on the Director and writer.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    The problem with Godzilla was that the character was all wrong. It really was Godzilla in name only.. It was okay as a regular monster movie, but as a Godzilla movie, it fails.

If I have to be honest, even to this day I'm not really familiar with the Godzilla mythology and I was watching the movie simply as a disaster film "from the creators of ID4" and I was pleased with what I got.

The critics can say whatever they wanna say about it, but at the end of the day the movie was just trying to entertain people, and in my case it succeeded.

Hopefully they will get the Godzilla look right when doing the CGI,like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHxzAXaJOtU

Drake

Godzilla was supposed to be a warning to mankind, regarding our experiments with atomic weapons. Folly of man, stuff like that. Or an even better analogy would be that we had gotten too big for our breeches.

I think Sora was getting at the tragedy that Godzilla was man-made, and couldn't be held responsible for the destruction. Only we could.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardkore View Post
    Hopefully they will get the Godzilla look right when doing the CGI,like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHxzAXaJOtU
    Definitely cheesy, especially with how the truck jumped over the pile of rubble like that, and how he went all DBZ all the sudden.

Still though, I'd take that over a guy in a rubber suit any day.

The problem with the Godzilla movies is how it is filmed. They are always shot at Godzilla's level, because of the guy in the suit. What we need is what they had in the clip, shot at the people's level. It would definitely put a lot more monster in the monster.

From Heat Vision:
    Godzilla stomping back to theaters via Legendary

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Fernandez
    Well, well, well ... look who's getting back in fighting shape.

Everyone's favorite gigantic, havoc-wreaking lizard, Godzilla, is on his way back to the big screen via Legendary Pictures, which has acquired the rights to develop and produce a new feature based on the iconic Toho Co. character. Warner Bros. will co-produce, co-finance and distribute through its deal with Legendary, and Toho will roll out the film in Japan.

Dan Lin, Roy Lee and Brian Rogers are also producing; Yoshimitsu Banno, Kenji Okuhira and Doug Davison will be executive producers on the project.

The last major Godzilla outing, an American, New York-set version from Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin, grossed $376 million worldwide in 1998 despite fielding equally major criticism. Toho quickly produced "Godzilla 2000," in which the big beast took on an evil UFO, the following year.

But the Godzilla franchise juggernaut has survived decades of permutations (he first appeared in 1954), dozens of films, books, video games and merchandising tie-ins and seems perpetually ready to rear up again for new audiences.

The new film is shooting for a 2012 release.

"Godzilla is one of the world's most powerful pop culture icons, and we at Legendary are thrilled to be able to create a modern epic based on this long-loved Toho franchise," said Thomas Tull, chairman and CEO of Legendary. "Our plans are to produce the Godzilla that we, as fans, would want to see. We intend to do justice to those essential elements that have allowed this character to remain as pop culturally relevant for as long as it has."

Added Jeff Robinov, president of Warner Bros. Pictures Group, "Godzilla is emblematic of the kind of branded, event films for which Warner Bros. and our partners at Legendary are best known."

The two companies have partnered on such global properties as "Batman Begins," "The Dark Knight," "Superman Returns" and "The Hangover," which have grossed more than $2 billion worldwide. Together, they have a remake of "Clash of the Titans" stomping into theaters Friday.
    From Variety:
    'Godzilla' stomps back to screen - Legendary Pictures gets rights to iconic monster

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE MCNARY
    "Godzilla" is coming back -- this time, with Legendary Pictures taking the lead, co-producing and co-financing with Warner Bros. for release in 2012.

Legendary announced Monday it had obtained rights to the iconic monster character from Japan's Toho Co., which has overseen more than 25 "Godzilla" films. Toho will release the pic in Japan.

Legendary said it's planning to announce a director shortly.

In addition to Legendary, producers on the new film will be Dan Lin, Roy Lee and Brian Rogers. Yoshimitsu Banno, Kenji Okuhira and Doug Davison will exec produce.

"Godzilla is one of the world's most powerful pop culture icons, and we at Legendary are thrilled to be able to create a modern epic based on this long-loved Toho franchise," said Thomas Tull, Chairman and CEO of Legendary. "Our plans are to produce the Godzilla that we, as fans, would want to see. We intend to do justice to those essential elements that have allowed this character to remain as pop-culturally relevant for as long as it has."

Legendary noted the film will fall under its co-production and co-financing deal with Warner Bros. Legendary's productions with Warners have included "The Dark Knight," "300" and "The Hangover."

Speculation about a new "Godzilla" has been active since last summer. The Bloody Disgusting web site reported in August that the project was in development.
    From Deadline:
    Do We Really Need Another Godzilla Movie?
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE FLEMING
    Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros finally closed a deal with Toho to do another Godzilla. This has been going on for a year or so. Surely there will be 3D like in the Legendary/Warners Clash of the Titans. But can they breathe fire into an over-sized lizard that seemed out of gas in a 1998 Roland Emmerich-directed TriStar version considered a pricey disappointment? Anybody got ideas on how to make this reptile relevant?

As long as they treat Godzilla like Godzilla and not a scared lizard, I'm down.

From Twitter:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Devlin
    Now I have to hear all over again how our version sucked. Arrg.