Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Official RoTF discussion thread 3 /Reviews go here [ SPOILERS ]

Default Re: Shia hated Revenge of the Fallen

Interesting.

All the more reason that Bay & Co should have pushed back those that were pushing them into making the 3rd installment for 2011.

If a better movie can be made due to time, I can wait.
    There's a thin line between being a hero and being a memory...

Writers are important.

For the last goddamned time.
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

I also believe the film suffered alot due to the writer's strike. That said it doesn't matter to me personally i enjoyed the movie very much, if they didn't have a writer's strike i believe ROTF would have had an exemplary audience, with less critics and analysis of the film, i agree with queen good writer's are definetly important so they actually don't compromise how well the movie's plot line goes.
    "The only human female to ever fall in love with a prime"

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Default Re: Official RoTF discussion thread 3 /Reviews go here [ SPOILERS ]

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBad View Post
    I didn't hate ROTF, I just didn't think it was a good outing AT ALL.

Fair enough, but some of the things you've said here were pretty harsh. Saying that "Michael Bay is to Transformers what Joel Schumacher was to Batman, and he needs to walk away"...that was a bit extreme if you ask me. Even for a Michael Bay/Transformers critic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBad View Post
    I respect Shia all the more now for not being another sheep in the herd.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the people who liked the movie are sheep?
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the people who liked the movie are sheep?
    You heard that right.

I'm pretty critical about parts of the film but I still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    You heard that right.

Thought so.

Same here. Like I said before, it's not a perfect movie, it's not the best action film ever made, but in my view it's definitely one of the most entertaining action films of 2009. No doubt in my mind.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Same here. Like I said before, it's not a perfect movie, it's not the best action film ever made, but in my view it's definitely one of the most entertaining action films of 2009. No doubt in my mind.

Bayhem i agree with ur opinion and i think alot of ppl who didn't like the ROTF movie have severe limited imagination and they retaliate with childish and crude opinions so i wouldn't worry about ppl who dislike michael bay or his movies if u personally enjoy his movies well thats all that matters. Let the critics say whatever they want it's sad that they have nothing else to do but critisize proffesional directors, as if they could do better.
    "The only human female to ever fall in love with a prime"

I still love it warts and all, too. And I believe that TF3 will be even better.

What still i can't get is how can really a person get confused with the movie plot or individual sequences. I found several people having this issue with the movie and it's simply something i can't understand.

The movie has some problems but I can't think how that was one of them.

And besides all it's issues ROTF is still one of the most energetic movies i've ever seen. It's pure adrenaline rush.

In my opinion the best Bay can do in TF3 is to keep that ultra kinetic breakneck pacing and all that energy. That's more important that any other thing.

Well ultimately what was my main criticism is not the story, I totally get that, not the flow of events, got that, it's that too much happened in between takes that we didn't see.

For example, reviving Megatron. It seemed as if between two takes Megatron went from a dead hunk of metal to a newly rebuilt body. I would have loved to have seen the construction of his new body!

But yeah, rushed script, writer's strike, oh well. Who can blame them? Times are tough.

It did seem like some of the more key points were rushed a bit.

As much as I loved ROTF, I did have a few problems with it that began to emerge during my viewings on the Blu-Ray.

First off, the first act of the film (which to me, ends with Optimus dying), is flat out awesome. It keeps us up to speed on the events thus far, and turns the story into slightly darker territory, while injecting some great action scenes. The third act is very good as well, aside from some characters disappearing, the final fight with the Fallen being a teeny bit too short, and not that much emphasis on the Transformers fighting, as it showed more of the Humans shooting at the Decepticons.

My main problem is with the 2nd act. After the excellent scene of the Decepticons destroying the cities, there kind of a lull. For nearly the entire second act, there isn't an action beat. And the Decepticons, who we just saw destroy multiple cities, left for some kind of intergalactic coffee break, and disappeared until the third act. When they got to new york, I though they were going to run into a Decepticon, since we saw one there earlier, but nothing happened, aside from getting Simmons. Some if the humor, which I liked in the first act, wasn't quite as good. The bits in diner (the guy with the messed up teeth) disrupted the flow of the scene, and the swine flu joke didn't quite work. Same with the midget at the Egyptian toll booth, a couple of the Twins' gags and that very unnecessary car chase in Egypt that goes nowhere. There was also some very weird editing errors in this part of the film that took me out. Such as at the Smithsonian, after Leo is tazed, he is missing for the bit where the gang is looking for Jetfire, then the moment he's activated, Leo suddenly appears. Same for when the gang arrive at the ruins. We see a wide shot of the Twins helping each other into the ruin, but when it cuts inside, no Twins. Then they suddenly appear when the scene calls for them to fight each other.

Storywise, it worked. All my issues had to deal with flow and the humor.

the story defininately lacked the transformers as characters aspect. this film focused entirely way too much on the humans, more so than the first film. humor also took a major toll on me. you can only have so much, and alot of it made the characters pathetic. . . im pointing at you leo. the movie wasnt albe to be taken seriously half the time. and i was wonderin. . . if that cube sliver brought back megatron, there was still that perfectly good sliver that sam gave to Mikayla. that could have brought optimus back right away right?

Quote Originally Posted by almostthethird15 View Post
    and i was wonderin. . . if that cube sliver brought back megatron, there was still that perfectly good sliver that sam gave to Mikayla. that could have brought optimus back right away right?
    Optimus had the misfortune of not informing Sam of why stealing the cube piece was bad news, so Sam didn't know that it could bring Megatron back to life. Also, even if he did know, he didn't have the cube sliver on him when Prime died (Mikaela did), so if he had that idea, he was miles and miles away from Prime. At any rate, it was too late when they used it to bring Jetfire back.

Quote Originally Posted by IHeartBayhem View Post
    Optimus had the misfortune of not informing Sam of why stealing the cube piece was bad news, so Sam didn't know that it could bring Megatron back to life. Also, even if he did know, he didn't have the cube sliver on him when Prime died (Mikaela did), so if he had that idea, he was miles and miles away from Prime. At any rate, it was too late when they used it to bring Jetfire back.
    Good points. I also thought that in the midst of all that was happening, Sam and Mikaela actually forgot about the shard - as a viewer, I forgot about it until the Smithsonian scene, so I can imagine that a person in their situation would, too. The shard was forgotten again following Jetfire's reactivation, but according to the novel, it was burned out, anyway.

Thumbs up Re: Official RoTF discussion thread 3 /Reviews go here [ SPOILERS ]

Steve Jablonsky, winner of a 2010 BMI Film Music Award for "Revenge of the Fallen" ( and for "Desperate Housewives" ).

Congrats SJ.

About BMI - http://www.bmi.com/about/entry/533110

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Magnus View Post
    The shard was forgotten again following Jetfire's reactivation, but according to the novel, it was burned out, anyway.
    That's what I had assumed when I had watched it in the theater for the first time. It was much smaller than the one that was stollen so I just figured that after creating bots at Sam's house and awakening Jetfire that it was just depleted. Also as far as I know none of the "good guy" characters knew how Megatron was brought back. All they knew was that the Allspark fragment was stolen and not why.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

I enjoyed it but the tasteless jokes and the twins nearly killed it for me. First was better and hope part 3 will get rid of this installment's mistakes.