Thread: Why doesn't Michael read his movie's reviews?

Default Why doesn't Michael read his movie's reviews?

I AM NOT BASHING, I LOVE ALL HIS MOVIES...BUT...

...Does anyone really know why Bay doesn't read ANY reviews for his movies?
    I'm not sure about his older movies but he definitely said he doesn't read any reviews for Transformers 2.
    Why not hear what critics or even everyday people think of his movies so he can get a better idea how he could improve his story-telling skills?
    If I made movies, I would read EVERY review out there to know what I'm doing right or wrong.
    Nelson would probably know why he chooses this method. I would love to know why.

Thoughts?
    "Science fiction isn't about spaceships, laser-fights, and explosions, Sci-Fi is about placing humanity in extreme positions and examining their reactions and our morality, as well as postulating on our future development as a species and as individuals."

Default Re: Why doesn't Michael read his movie's reviews?

I think he doesn't read them at least since Armageddon.

Also Bruckheimer and Tarantino have said the same several times.

Reviews are just one guys opinion. Box office take reflects better on the movie.
    - Omar B.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

^ Agreed. And I've read so many reviews by people that sound like they slept through the movie... or are just dumb... The fans and general public will say- the fans will probably see it more than once, and if people who aren't fans can still "get it" then more will see it after. And if critics are dead wrong/missed something/ are malicious you could spend your entire life correcting them... but you'd have to hang up your director's... megaphone?
    "to punish and enslave"

Probably because he doesn't need to know someone elses opinion. As long as he is happy of the finished product then to him it should be a good film. Box office does not prove if a film is good.
    I've always defended Michael Bay against attacks that his films are full of stupid explosions, girls in underwear and mindless characters... but then he made Transformers 2 and I conceded...

I think that if Steven Spielberg told me I'd done an awesome job everybody else in the world could go shove it!
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

Quote Originally Posted by redqueenar View Post
    I think that if Steven Spielberg told me I'd done an awesome job everybody else in the world could go shove it!
    ^^Answer.

If directors pay too much attention to reviews, the project will run off the track.

Besides, while he said he doesn't read reviews, he said he's listening to fans. Actually some things fans wanted are reflected in the film. So, I have no doubt the next film will be further improved.

Quote Originally Posted by redqueenar View Post
    i think that if steven spielberg told me i'd done an awesome job everybody else in the world could go shove it!

::grins::

Well, I don't think we'll ever find out why unless we hear it from the man himself.
    "Science fiction isn't about spaceships, laser-fights, and explosions, Sci-Fi is about placing humanity in extreme positions and examining their reactions and our morality, as well as postulating on our future development as a species and as individuals."