Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm starting to dislike so called "Professional Critics"

Default I'm starting to dislike so called "Professional Critics"

I hope and I do mean hope that when ROTF comes out on DVD- M.Bay & Company have an extended cut integrated into the movie so these questions can be answered and so these damn ciritics can shut their pie-holes!
    But in all honesty, how much longer was ROTF without it being edited? Inquiring minds wanna know? Anyway..please read what this guy had to say over at Yahoo movies. They just won't let this movie go with their bashing. All in all...I hope the 3rd installment leaves not one pot-hole whatsoever, this way they can all shut their mouths. OK, enough rave, here's what he had to say.

Burning Questions: The 10 Most Confusing Things in 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen'

by Matt McDaniel

. June 30, 2009

"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" made over $200 million last week. What it didn't make, however, was one lick of sense.

Now, suspension of disbelief is usually not a problem for me. Tell me that a billionaire could put on a bat suit and swoop around fighting crime and I'll buy it. Or that a different billionaire could build flying armor in his basement. Or that in the future people will beam onto spaceships with their pointy-eared best friend. I'll accept all of it. I'll even take your word for it that a mechanized alien race can come to our planet, scan some cars, and turn themselves into vehicles.

That being said, there were moments in this new "Transformers" movie that were so confusing, so contradictory, or so corny that they completely took me out of the movie. Even days after watching it, some new inconsistency or plot hole would pop into my mind.

I can hear it already: "It's a popcorn movie. It's based on a bunch of toys. It's just supposed to be fun." And yes, all of those things are true. But that doesn't mean I can't ask questions about what in the world was going on. Here are the ten that I most want answered. (WARNING: contains spoilers).

1. In "Transformers," there was this giant battle in the middle of downtown Los Angeles -- excuse me, Mission City -- that was witnessed by thousands of people at the very least. But somehow the government was able to cover up the whole thing, and now the existence of alien robots is just an internet rumor? How did they do it? Pay off everyone who was there and quickly fix millions of dollars in damage? Also, didn't Keller (Jon Voight) go on TV and tell everyone we were being attacked by "a technological civilization far superior to our own"? How did they spin that?

2. There are two pieces of the Allspark cube left: the military has one under lock and key, and Sam discovers another. The Decepticons steal one and bring Megatron back to life. But when Sam (Shia LaBeouf) wants to bring back Optimus, he has to find the Matrix of Leadership on the other side of the globe. Why not use the other piece? Mikaela (Megan Fox) has it in her backpack the whole time. It brought his kitchen appliances to life, why can't it do the same for Optimus?

3. Speaking of Megatron's rebirth, when the Decepticons venture deep into the ocean to revive him, the Navy crew tracking them reads five contacts. When they get down there, they tear apart one of the robots for parts to rebuild Megatron. Then as they rise to the surface, the same Navy guys say they spot six contacts. The little "Doctor" robot popped out down there, but he's about a third of the size of a person. Would he have shown up on sonar?

4. That reminds me: even if I were to forgive the Doctor's German accent -- and director Michael Bay is asking me to forgive a lot of ridiculous accents -- why would a robot need glasses? He has little lenses that flip in front of his mechanical eyes. Couldn't he just get his eyes adjusted? You'd think with all the laser guns, someone could perform a Lasik procedure.

5. Apparently, Transformers can look like people now. How? And how is it that even though the robo-girl (Isabel Lucas) is made of metal, she can still straddle Sam without crushing him. And if Bumblebee knows something's wrong with her, why does he spit antifreeze at her instead of telling Sam? Yes, his voicebox is broken, but wasn't it fixed at the end of the last movie?

6. The Fallen is the last of the Primes, since they all sacrificed themselves to stop him from destroying the sun. But then he says that Optimus is a descendant of the Primes. First, Transformers have kids? And second, how could he descend from them if they were all dead? And if the Fallen could only be destroyed by a Prime, why didn't the originals just gang up on him back in the day? And what makes Optimus so special, anyway? Megatron beat him earlier, but all it takes is a few spare parts from creaky old Jetfire for him to take out the Fallen?

7. Sam, Mikaela, and Simmons (John Turturro) go to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. to find Jetfire. Then they walk out the back onto a wide open field with old planes and mountains in the distance. When did the National Mall start to look so much like to Tucson, AZ (where they really filmed that scene)?

8. The geography is just as bad when they go to Egypt. The stone city of Petra in Jordan is over 250 miles away, over mountainous terrain, with few paved roads and the Israeli border between them, so how can they drive from one to the other in a couple of hours. And the Pyramids are said to be shooting distance from the Mediterranean, but they are actually well over 80 miles inland. Even if the Navy ship had a secret rail gun, and even if the captain would take an order to fire from a former agent of a government branch that no longer exists (over a walkie-talkie that inexplicably starts working again), how could it hit a moving target from that distance?

9. Sam briefly dies and goes to Robot Heaven. Robot Heaven?!?!

10. Where does Sam's bandage come from? What about his extra sock? Why does Sam's roommate not contribute anything at all? What was the Fallen doing for those thousands of years Megatron was frozen in ice? How does one satellite receive transmissions from everywhere on the planet? Why does Wheelie hump Mikaela's leg? Why do we have to see John Turturro's thong? Why are robots who join together to become Devastator also seen fighting the Army at the same time? Why does the government want only our military fighting Decepticons when our weapons seem unable to make so much as a dent on any of them? Why did the ancient Egyptians build a pyramid around the sun-destroying machines instead of just breaking it? Why is the Matrix of Leadership bigger in the Fallen's hand than in Sam's? And how do Mikaela's pants stay so clean?

OK, so I went overboard at the end, but the questions remain. And I'm sure more will pop up next time I think about the movie. But the movie did make a ton of money, and it's earned a solid B+ rating from our users. Maybe I should go see it again. My questions probably won't get answered in a second viewing, but if I can just clear them from my mind I can be in Robot Heaven, too.
    Got a question or an answer? Let us know. >>

Default Re: I'm starting to dislike so called "Professional Critics"

Im not happy about it but I have to agree with most of the critics comments. I loved TF1, I enjoy Michael Bay's movies and TF2 has some great action sequences for sure. But I think it was poorly written with far too many usless parts and plot holes. It seemed rushed and seemed driven by external forces (i.e. Hasbro/GM) to add a ton of useless robots mearly to sell toys. I think there was about an hour of solid plot, action, and storyline which should have been expanded upon and the rest thrown out.

Believe me I want to really love this movie. I want nothing more than a successful TF series of movies but this one is hard to stomach.

This Matt McDaniel guy started with some valid arguments and then went overboard with nit-picks.
    The main thing I'm sick of hearing critics complain about is geographical inconsistencies.
    Who cares if there is a plain of grass behind the museum?
    Who cares if it takes longer to get to the Tomb of Petra in real life?
    It IS just a movie. I'm sure there are many geography glitches in many great movies.
    The Egyptians building the pyramid over the machine is pretty obvious to me, they might have worshipped and maybe wanted to preserve it. USE YOUR IMAGINATION MATT McDANIEL!!!
    "Science fiction isn't about spaceships, laser-fights, and explosions, Sci-Fi is about placing humanity in extreme positions and examining their reactions and our morality, as well as postulating on our future development as a species and as individuals."

Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Im not happy about it but I have to agree with most of the critics comments. I loved TF1, I enjoy Michael Bay's movies and TF2 has some great action sequences for sure. But I think it was poorly written with far too many usless parts and plot holes. It seemed rushed and seemed driven by external forces (i.e. Hasbro/GM) to add a ton of useless robots mearly to sell toys. I think there was about an hour of solid plot, action, and storyline which should have been expanded upon and the rest thrown out.
    You do know that the first movie had just as many plot holes and inconsistencies and the plot could've been expanded upon more?
    "Science fiction isn't about spaceships, laser-fights, and explosions, Sci-Fi is about placing humanity in extreme positions and examining their reactions and our morality, as well as postulating on our future development as a species and as individuals."

Most of these questions are ridiculous.

1. "How did they do it?" What the fuck? They did it. It is not important to explain it in every little detail.

2. I was under the impression that the shard was lost when it was used to restart Jetfire, but I could be wrong.

3. Maybe the doctor did show up on sonar? I don't see why that is so unbelievable.

4. The doctor was a microscope. Microscopes have lenses. What's the most logical place for them to go?

5. Really, crushing him? That's what passes as plot question?

6. The transformers are a race of beings; why wouldn't they have offspring?

7. In the words of Ari Gold, "Really? REALLLLY!?"

8. See number seven.

9. Human heaven?

10. His sock might not be extra; he could be wearing on shoe sockless (I can't believe I'm having to explain this.) His bandage? Watch damn near ANY movie; everyone walks into the desert or jungle or whatever with no hat, water, or supplies. And yet they survive. Give me a break.

I feel dumber for engaging in this, but I guess that's my fault.

Here's my question. Since when did movie "critics" become the biggest morons on the planet?

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Fuego View Post
    Most of these questions are ridiculous.

1. "How did they do it?" What the fuck? They did it. It is not important to explain it in every little detail.

2. I was under the impression that the shard was lost when it was used to restart Jetfire, but I could be wrong.

3. Maybe the doctor did show up on sonar? I don't see why that is so unbelievable.

4. The doctor was a microscope. Microscopes have lenses. What's the most logical place for them to go?

5. Really, crushing him? That's what passes as plot question?

6. The transformers are a race of beings; why wouldn't they have offspring?

7. In the words of Ari Gold, "Really? REALLLLY!?"

8. See number seven.

9. Human heaven?

10. His sock might not be extra; he could be wearing on shoe sockless (I can't believe I'm having to explain this.) His bandage? Watch damn near ANY movie; everyone walks into the desert or jungle or whatever with no hat, water, or supplies. And yet they survive. Give me a break.

I feel dumber for engaging in this, but I guess that's my fault.

Here's my question. Since when did movie "critics" become the biggest morons on the planet?

Ed Fuego
    Don't you hate it when you have to defend such an awesome movie like RotF for idiots who can't accept the fact that some people actually liked it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jammed9000 View Post
    You do know that the first movie had just as many plot holes and inconsistencies and the plot could've been expanded upon more?
    Just as many plot holes. I disagree. Barricade left for an unknown reason thats about all the major ones I can think of. If anything TF2 opened more plot holes for the first movie.

As far as the plot could have been expanded you miss my point. I feel that certain acspects of the plot in TF2 could have been expanded upon. i.e the Constructicons, Megatrons resurection, Devastator being more than a monkey climbing a pyrimid. etc. and others could have been omitted i.e. Sam's stoned mom, Sam's roomate and the conspiracy theory, Alice, the Twins, Sam going to Robot heaven etc.

Bottom line I think TF1 was better written, more consistant, and an overall tighter movie all the way around than TF2.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Don't you hate it when you have to defend such an awesome movie like RotF for idiots who can't accept the fact that some people actually liked it?
    I do indeed.

And yet I still spend time defending it.

I guess that makes me a fan.

I can live with that.

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Fuego View Post
    I do indeed.

And yet I still spend time defending it.

I guess that makes me a fan.

I can live with that.

Ed Fuego
    I hear ya.

The gloves have come off for this guy too...

It's such a minuscule cross to bear for me. Really.

On the same token dont you hate it when idiots feel the need to defend a movie because they cant accept the fact that some people actually think that the writting in a movie is as important as the action?

On the same token dont you hate it when idiots feel the need to defend a movie because they cant accept the fact that some people actually think that the writting in a movie is as important as the action?
    It's a movie about robots from outer space!!!!!!!

It's not Shakespeare! It's an action movie with ROBOTS FROM OUTER SPACE! Why can't people come to terms with that?! Are you expecting a Schindler's List story?! Oh my God! The stupidity of you haters!

It's a movie about robots from outer space!!!!!!!

It's not Shakespeare! It's an action movie with ROBOTS FROM OUTER SPACE! Why can't people come to terms with that?! Are you expecting a Schindler's List story?! Oh my God! The stupidity of you haters!
    I have said it before I loved TF1 and thought the writing was perfect for the movie. I obviously have no problems with movies about robots from outer space if I LIKE THE FIRST MOVIE !!!!!! Its my opinion the writing in TF2 was worse. OMG are you so stupid you cant comprehend that statement???? Or are you so blind with your unconditional love of this movie that you see any opinion differing from your own as a personal attack??? Relax turbo.

I have said it before I loved TF1 and thought the writing was perfect for the movie. I obviously have no problems with movies about robots from outer space if I LIKE THE FIRST MOVIE !!!!!! Its my opinion the writing in TF2 was worse. OMG are you so stupid you cant comprehend that statement???? Or are you so blind with your unconditional love of this movie that you see any opinion differing from your own as a personal attack??? Relax turbo.
    No, I'm just tired of people who can't take the movie for what it is. They bitch and moan, bitch and moan... for what? Bay won't go back and reshoot the movie because of bad criticism. Ok, so you thought the story was poor. Ok, we got it, moving on. No, every day people have to register to bitch and moan about the movie. God, I'm so sick of it. Take the hate to IMDB or AICN.

Of course I'm gonna defend the movie... we're on the official Michael Bay site, if you haven't noticed.

THAT'S IT. I'M DONE DEFENDING THIS MOVIE. I LOVE IT, IT FUCKING ROCKED, I WILL WATCH IT A HUNDREDS TIME OVER. PEOPLE REGISTERING TO THIS SITE JUST TO SPEW SHIT ABOUT BAY AND ROTF ARE PATHETIC.

No, I'm just tired of people who can't take the movie for what it is. They bitch and moan, bitch and moan... for what? Bay won't go back and reshoot the movie because of bad criticism. Ok, so you thought the story was poor. Ok, we got it, moving on. No, every day people have to register to bitch and moan about the movie. God, I'm so sick of it. Take the hate to IMDB or AICN.

Of course I'm gonna defend the movie... we're on the official Michael Bay site, if you haven't noticed.

THAT'S IT. I'M DONE DEFENDING THIS MOVIE. I LOVE IT, IT FUCKING ROCKED, I WILL WATCH IT A HUNDREDS TIME OVER. PEOPLE REGISTERING TO THIS SITE JUST TO SPEW SHIT ABOUT BAY AND ROTF ARE PATHETIC.
    I understand where you are coming from. I really do. I think one thing you may possibly be missing is (and I will speak for myself) is maybe people are coming on here with critisism because they actually love the entire world of transformers and want nothing more than to push it to be the best it can be. If I hated the movie I wouldnt even waste my time here. I think the movie was good but not great. As a fan can I not come here with others to voice our opinions to push the movie makers and writers to make better movies?? Its clear movie makers do (or at least try) to listen to fans. Maybe the critisism will result in TF3 being better than the other 2 combined. Just keep in mind not everyone is here to dis the movie and try to make fans like yourself pissed off.

I understand where you are coming from. I really do. I think one thing you may possibly be missing is (and I will speak for myself) is maybe people are coming on here with critisism because they actually love the entire world of transformers and want nothing more than to push it to be the best it can be. If I hated the movie I wouldnt even waste my time here. I think the movie was good but not great. As a fan can I not come here with others to voice our opinions to push the movie makers and writers to make better movies?? Its clear movie makers do (or at least try) to listen to fans. Maybe the critisism will result in TF3 being better than the other 2 combined. Just keep in mind not everyone is here to dis the movie and try to make fans like yourself pissed off.
    Actually, you're one of the more sensible critics of RotF... there have been some really obnoxious jerks on here that got banned (not calling you a jerk).

Drake

Yet when a motherf*cking car was seen in the first LoTR movie, everyone was like "Tee hee... what a silly little goof.... GREAT MOVIE!!!!"

Funny how everyone beams in like a laser on this flick, yet let their beloved favs slip past the radar.

Why do the constructicons appear to be fighting in two places at once? Because you are stuck in G1 world. You went and assumed they were the same, despite everything pointing towards them being different.

Military weaponry DOES hurt the decepticons, unless you were asleep for the last battle and missed most of the first movie.

As for the rail gun... did you bother listening when Simmons even told the commander the specifics of the gun? And Devs wasn't moving. He was busy getting his suck on the pyramids.

Most of the questions asked can be answered by actually thinking about it for more than a second.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraPrime View Post

2. There are two pieces of the Allspark cube left: the military has one under lock and key, and Sam discovers another. The Decepticons steal one and bring Megatron back to life. But when Sam (Shia LaBeouf) wants to bring back Optimus, he has to find the Matrix of Leadership on the other side of the globe. Why not use the other piece? Mikaela (Megan Fox) has it in her backpack the whole time. It brought his kitchen appliances to life, why can't it do the same for Optimus?

Obviously that critic guy doesn't follow the story. The first shard was used to revive megatron and the second shard was used to revive jetfire. And each of the spark stays in each robot's chest. So in order to resurrect OP, the humans need an item that is based on the same energy from the allspark.That's why the matrix of leadership came into the play.
    Last edited by sls3553; 06-30-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: lingo

I hate critics.

:deadhorse1:<----Critics
    There's a thin line between being a hero and being a memory...

the alspark is were a TF life comes from without it no more Transformers i to really like to know how there can have descendant and in the comics the Primes are a older race then the transformers

matt mcdaniel is perhaps the most moronic critic there ever was in the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammed9000 View Post
    This Matt McDaniel guy started with some valid arguments and then went overboard with nit-picks.
    The main thing I'm sick of hearing critics complain about is geographical inconsistencies.
    Who cares if there is a plain of grass behind the museum?
    Who cares if it takes longer to get to the Tomb of Petra in real life?
    It IS just a movie. I'm sure there are many geography glitches in many great movies.
    The Egyptians building the pyramid over the machine is pretty obvious to me, they might have worshipped and maybe wanted to preserve it. USE YOUR IMAGINATION MATT McDANIEL!!!
    The Pyramid stuff I buy. But when you go from D.C. to Arizona without any explanation or reason, THAT'S when the line is drawn. As far as getting to the Tomb, I assumed getting to Optimus was a lot longer than it needed to be.

I really dont think geography has to "entirely" matter in a movie. If your going to emphasis on the real world, then there would be no "autobots" or "decepticons". Sam would have broken many bones along his journey, and possible sent to an insanity ward.

It is a movie.. Let the imagination role

Quote Originally Posted by Mech_1000 View Post
    I really dont think geography has to "entirely" matter in a movie. If your going to emphasis on the real world, then there would be no "autobots" or "decepticons". Sam would have broken many bones along his journey, and possible sent to an insanity ward.

It is a movie.. Let the imagination role
    Hear...hear

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Yet when a motherf*cking car was seen in the first LoTR movie, everyone was like "Tee hee... what a silly little goof.... GREAT MOVIE!!!!"

Funny how everyone beams in like a laser on this flick, yet let their beloved favs slip past the radar.

Why do the constructicons appear to be fighting in two places at once? Because you are stuck in G1 world. You went and assumed they were the same, despite everything pointing towards them being different.

Military weaponry DOES hurt the decepticons, unless you were asleep for the last battle and missed most of the first movie.

As for the rail gun... did you bother listening when Simmons even told the commander the specifics of the gun? And Devs wasn't moving. He was busy getting his suck on the pyramids.

Most of the questions asked can be answered by actually thinking about it for more than a second.
    Epic Win!!!!!
    "How Come the Decepticons have all the cool shit"