Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The myth of "bad word of mouth"

Banned

Default Re: The myth of "bad word of mouth"

"Word of mouth" only applies to the SECOND WEEK box office, and many analysts are predicting a spectacular drop-off for Revenge of the Fallen.

Only this time next week will we know if "bad word of mouth" is "a myth".

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post

Just remember, in entertainment, money talks and bullshit walks.

It's been nice knowing you.

Oh, and one more thing.... Michael Bay took on all of you.

well said. And can I put that as my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimash Prime View Post
    First of .....Nelson = the man ....

I find it funny that people would register on a site called or basically the "Michael bay fan site" then start hating on it????? We don't go on Miley Cyrus .com and hate all over that we avoid it with a 40 ft pole. I dont go on sites that dont interest me but haters apparently get a kick out of coming here so they can let us know how mad they are. :wtf It bothered me at first...
    yup....wondered about that myself.....and as for all those nasty haters

Quote Originally Posted by carlpickard View Post
    "Word of mouth" only applies to the SECOND WEEK box office, and many analysts are predicting a spectacular drop-off for Revenge of the Fallen.

Only this time next week will we know if "bad word of mouth" is "a myth".
    No, bad word of mouth tanks a movie in it's opening.

In the Friday to Sunday time frame, Bay's movie haven't lost more then 50%.

It's funny to see people like you wanting the film to tank just because you didn't like it.

Of course there is going to be a huge drop-off next weekend at the box office; you can't really sustain those kinds of numbers nowadays. Regardless, it will likely surpass the first film's entire domestic total by that time. Dollar amounts aside, I do hope that Mr. Bay listens to some of the criticisms this time around and brings us a better third movie.

The first one did around 155 in the first week and 70 Million in the second week.

That's a drop of 55%, a normal drop. With the same drop this one should make around 90 in the second week.

Lets see what happend.

No, bad word of mouth tanks a movie in it's opening.
    You might want to tell McG and Zack Snyder that.

All I'm saying is "wait and see" before you start pounding your chest and all. It did $60M on it's first day and never topped $45M for the weekend.

Also, it did $200M total, not $201M according to Box Office Mojo and Variety.
    Last edited by halofan1; 06-29-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by halofan1 View Post
    Those movies had awful openings. There wasn't a big second week drop, is just that things went wrong since the beginning.

I bet you TF2 gets at least 80-100 Millions along the 2º week.

Quote Originally Posted by alexsm View Post
    Those movies had awful openings. There wasn't a big second week drop, is just that things went wrong since the beginning.

I bet you TF2 gets 80-100 Millions along the 2º week.
    Terminator I can agree, Watchmen I can't. It was a hard-R, nearly three hour film that opened in March. It also out-grossed Batman Begins and Superman Returns opening weekends. Not what they wanted? Maybe. A failure? Not at all.

Also, it did $200M total, not $201M according to Box Office Mojo and Variety.
    Oh no!!!!!

Terminator I can agree, Watchmen I can't. It was a hard-R, nearly three hour film that opened in March. It also out-grossed Batman Begins and Superman Returns opening weekends. Not what they wanted? Maybe. A failure? Not at all.
    Watchmen opened with 65 millions, second week was 30 millions. That mens 53% drop, a tipical one for an anticipated movie.

Also watchmens recaudation started descending the 2º day. Watchmen started failing first weekend when it got 10-15 millions under expectations. And we saw with this transformers that the studios lower their expectation in order to prevent a little tank.

The Watchmen tank at the boxoffice. It's Friday to Saturday ticket sales dropped.

T4 barely held steady.

Bad word of mouth or lank of sank them n their debuts.

Watchmen was sold as an action movie from the director of 300. Lot's of non-fans were waiting for kick-ass 300-type scenes.

T4 was alright. Nothing spectacular visually. They thought Dark Knight fans would flock to it (Bale) and give it Revenge of the Fallen numbers.

Watchmen was sold as an action movie from the director of 300. Lot's of non-fans were waiting for kick-ass 300-type scenes.
    That was the biggest problem right there. It's NOT an action movie.

Again, it was a hard-R, near three hour film. $55M/65M is a success considering.

T4 was alright. Nothing spectacular visually. They thought Dark Knight fans would flock to it (Bale) and give it Revenge of the Fallen numbers.
    T4 had fun action, but it's story was mildy retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by fu2kimus_prime View Post
    Yeah Ebert is cool, even though his taste in movies is vastly different to mine and I seldom agree with him. I still think he's fair (for the most part), and a good writer..
    You do know that he hated ROTF and bashed it even more in his blog? Critics like him expect fans of a movie they've panned to say "You don't like it cause your old". This is actually true, Ebert is old so he wouldn't take too kindly to a movie that is explosions and fast-paced action.

But like Bay said(I think): Kids these days take in visual information alot faster than older people. Two well-respected critics here in Australia praised the 2007 film except the fast-paced action and they admitted that it could be because they were old.

That's why I find alot of older people praising movies by Clint Eastwood like Flags of our Fathers and Gran Torino. These movies have action but it's slow, dreary and emotionally non-impactful. This type of action applies to the older audience.

So when they see a fast-paced rollicking adventure that they can't comprehend due to old age, they would say to themeselves "Darn kids these days!"
    Last edited by Jammed9000; 06-29-2009 at 09:49 PM.
    "Science fiction isn't about spaceships, laser-fights, and explosions, Sci-Fi is about placing humanity in extreme positions and examining their reactions and our morality, as well as postulating on our future development as a species and as individuals."

Quote Originally Posted by Jammed9000 View Post
    So when they see a fast-paced rollicking adventure that they can't comprehend due to old age, they would say to themeselves "Darn kids these days!"
    And when we get old our generation is gonna say the same thing about movies in the future!
    :lol

Nelson! Great Job as always, you have fired me up and i just want to say this
    so if tranformers drops 50% so that would be a 100 million take for next weekend, how the hell in the world could anyone consider that a bad thing, shit how many movies take a 50% drop and still make 100 million.

I had the best time ever and i have not yet found one person in my area that i know that didnt love it! The haters can just suck it!
    I was one acouple other wondeful bashing sites today aintitsomething.com and joblowerface.com and i basically got booted! but oh well ya know.

Well, Haters and critics bring the rain cause this fire cant be put out!

It tickles me to read how women enjoyed this film. My first viewing was a 3am show at the Bridge and I sat next to a totally amazing looking girl and her date. He looked like a pile of slop in a frumpy shirt, some jeans sporting bad hair and a five o'clock shadow but she looked great: dress, shoes, nails, hair, smell = all made of win. I'm not a total slouch, but it was 3AM! and she was rockin'! And she totally loved it. She laughed, she clapped, totally dug it. It was kind of like sitting next to Mikaela and Sam because some relationships are just like that.

The three people I know who had the most violent, hateful, vicious reaction to this film were men I have previously turned down. The one I knew the longest, my former writing partner (and now former friend) actually wrote a lengthy tirade on the film that began with "Michael Bay is a racist f*wit." Michael Bay is certainly not the reason we didn't hook up after being tight all those years. The reason is that my former writing partner never got a real job and he still lives with his mother so he can't really empathize with my life and the adult responsibilities I actually have. (I'm 28, he's 31) I also grew to realize that he was pushing me down for years, patronizing me, and (as you may remember from Valentine's Day) pretty much lying to me about this and that to keep me under control.

So yeah, I think a lot of this is bitterness from assholes who live miles below guys like Bay, who actually DOES THE JOB.
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

I made a very similar point on IMDb:

"Dark Knight was widely accepted by critics and broke nearly all box office records

Transformers 2 is much maligned by critics, has broken records and maybe about to surpass even Dark Knight (if it doesn't it's going to get close)

Morale of the story; people will go and see what they want and what they like, regardless of what critics say. "

But Nelson, you put it far better than I did :lol
    "To the Believer, no proof is necessary...To the non-Believer, no proof is possible."

Banned

The reason this (in my opinion) turd of a movie opened so well at the Box Office and was so highly anticipated is that the general public long for a decent Transformers flick. The franchise is engrained in the public consciousness, whether you grew up with the toys or not. The concept was used in car commercials, the animated series has been running for 25 years in one for or another, Optimus Prime is a pop-culture icon.

Literally every single person I know who saw this movie was desperate for it to be better that the first; they left theatres absolutely aghast and stunned at what they witnessed.

People will see this movie, even with it having been so demolished by critics, because they want to see it with their own eyes. Once they do, they won't rewatch it. In fact I'm willing to venture that the only people who have sat through this movie more than once are actually members of this message board.

The TRANSFORMERS are the reason these movies are popular - not Michael Bay, and not the U.S. Military.
    Last edited by carlpickard; 06-30-2009 at 10:23 AM.

Angry Re: The myth of "bad word of mouth"

The reason this (in my opinion) turd of a movie opened so well at the Box Office and was so highly anticipated is that the general public long for a decent Transformers flick. The franchise is engrained in the public consciousness, whether you grew up with the toys or not. The concept was used in car commercials, the animated series has been running for 25 years in one for or another, Optimus Prime is a pop-culture icon.

Literally every single person I know who saw this movie was desperate for it to be better that the first; they left theatres absolutely aghast and stunned at what they witnessed.

People will see this movie, even with it having been so demolished by critics, because they want to see it with their own eyes. Once they do, they won't rewatch it. In fact I'm willing to venture that the only people who have sat through this movie more than once are actually members of this message board.

The TRANSFORMERS are the reason these movies are popular - not Michael Bay, and not the U.S. Military.
    Actually, Ive heard nothing but good things from all sorts of people that have seen it and these people went into the movie theater with no "expectations" and thats why they enjoyed it. Just because you thought the movie should be one way, then you go to see it, and its not the way you wanted it or W/E does not mean its a bad movie, truthfully you don't know what you want and stop your bitching!!! Start working on a script for the third if you care so much! You and whoever you know (Haters) cant speak for the planet !!!
    "How Come the Decepticons have all the cool shit"

Wow, one person is hearing bad things, the other is hearing good. Me? I haven't heard a peep in the outside world! Everything I have heard was right on this site! I guess I need to get out more.

Who knows what will happen to it this weekend. It's Independence day in America and a lot of people go to movies to celebrate.
    They call me Ratchet Girl for a reasonl.
    Yeah, I'm a girl...SO FREAKING WHAT????
    I will always love Ratchet. Don't even try to take my title.

Drake

Baseless assumption. In fact, you could say the same about Star Trek.

That's nice. Sounds like you surround yourself with overly negative, nitpicking, film-snob douchebags. 'Birds of a feather' i guess.

Wrong. You'd be surprised how many people don't go online to read/post/blog about movies and instead go out and make up their own minds. I assure you, most of the general public enjoyed RoTF and have/will see it more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by ChozoGhost87 View Post
    That's nice. Sounds like you surround yourself with overly negative, nitpicking, film-snob douchebags. 'Birds of a feather' i guess.
    Guys, just remember this poster (not you Chozo) is trying any and which way to pick a fight. Ignore him. Let him gather as much rope as he wants...

Banned

"Picking a fight"...? You guys sure don't like anyone on here to pass on drinking Bay's Kool-Aid, huh?

I'd like to discuss the main issue the movie raises and provoke debate, although apparently that's frowned upon. I thought that was the whole point in message boards, to get a divergence of opinion and discuss things...? It shouldn't be like a cult!

[As for what audiences thought of the movie, it's rating on IMDB is 6.6/10 and falling (it was 6.7/10 this morning). X-Men Origins: Wolverine gets a 6.8.]