Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Movie Was Not Kid Friendly

Default This Movie Was Not Kid Friendly

Yea I thought the first one was good enough for all audiences but this one... not so much. I guess the franchise is catering to the college age people and it is no longer for kids they just lost a pretty big part of their audience when Transformers 3 comes out.

Default Re: This Movie Was Not Kid Friendly

I thought it was pretty kid friendly. If its too kid friendly it will lose out to a lot of its older audiences.

I just got back from the movie 5 minutes ago and i agree! Lots of sexual "stuff" in it but the movie was sooo badass! i cannot wait to see it in IMAX!
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Quote Originally Posted by Inflataman View Post
    I guess the franchise is catering to the college age people and it is no longer for kids they just lost a pretty big part of their audience when Transformers 3 comes out.
    Two types of robots show up on Earth. Good vs evil. Domination vs protection. The bad guys want to enslave us.

Does that sound like a Disney movie to you?

I'm glad they're not catering to the kids. I don't want them to. It's like when they started on the Aliens Vs Predator movie franchise and dolled it down just to get a lower rating, like you can somehow turn an evil creature with acid for blood like the Alien into something that's fun for the whole family!

Give me a break.

While I'd rather some of the stupid sexual jokes took a back seat from now on, I couldn't be happier if the next movie had an M rating. Kids can just see it when they're older.

Nah. Saw it with my 10 year old. There were a lot of other older and younger kids. I wasn't too upset by the sexual, teenage issues, most kids don't quite understand that stuff yet. What I didn't like was the swearing. First movie had 1 or 2 swear words max. This movie had about a dozen. Kids repeat what they hear and this movie could have been just as good without the swear words. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.
    KJFJustice

Not really, when i went to see it the line was filled with a whole bunch of kids!!! Even a baby who wasn't potty trained saw it! And I don't want the movie to be directed at kids.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

You r kidding.......you r just kidding right now right...kids film???

Since when was this ever care bears shit??

Its alien robots who are at civil war, real life, MB has stated MANY times that this IS in fact, a DARKER film! What did you expect...Megatron and Prime to have a tea party with SS and maybe Soundwave can serve them crackers while they discuss how Megatron's presence really bothers Optimus???:lol:wtf:lol

Get real you silly goose!!
    "When War comes...I will Awaken..to END it!"

Quote Originally Posted by KJFJustice View Post
    Nah. Saw it with my 10 year old. There were a lot of other older and younger kids. I wasn't too upset by the sexual, teenage issues, most kids don't quite understand that stuff yet. What I didn't like was the swearing. First movie had 1 or 2 swear words max. This movie had about a dozen. Kids repeat what they hear and this movie could have been just as good without the swear words. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.
    KJFJustice
    You'd probably feel differently if you didn't have kids. Granted, I'd probably feel differently if I did. I respect those who have kids, it's not an easy job and all that, but I'd rather not have to accomodate other people's children in the movies that I watch.

I mean, Revenge of the Fallen has a rating of PG-13, so you know you're already pushing things by going in there with a 10 year old. Whatever happened to the good old age of parents taking responsibility for their own children? If you're not sure it's suitable, screen it beforehand, and then decide yourself. Isn't that how the responsible would do it?

But no, in a movie where there are giant robots beating the snot out of each other, it makes more sense to you that everyone's going to be watching their language? Someone takes a huge hit, what, he's supposed to go "well I never, look what just happened"?!

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's parents expecting the rest of us to babysit their kids for them. If you're not sure, watch it yourself first, rather than expecting them to doll the movie down because you felt like breaking the law.

he noticed that it was the fans of the original cartoon that complained about the first one

And that demographic consists of guys in their late 20s and early to mid 30s.

And to widen that demographic, he just added the Twins for the younger audience.

The language was more geared towards teenagers and the physical comedy such as their goofy appearance and their brother on brother fighting was more directed at the kids.
    Transformers 4 Movie Updates on Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/TheRaginNation

Whoa- got quite the stick stuck up your rear-end there don't you Venturai?

I have screened films before. And I didn't bring my 8-year old daughter to this for that reason. I know my kid, I know every movie he has seen and hasn't seen. My wife and I have a list of what he isn't allowed to watch, so back the hell off.

Let me give you an example. Remember King Kong that came out about 3-4 years ago? That was PG-13, but never should have been. That was an R movie for sure. (And not for the swearing). It had intense close-up death scenes, with spears through chests, seen from low camera angles that would be a kid's height. Those kinds of scenes give kids nightmares, which you know nothing about not being a parent. It also had some intense horror scenes, like when the guys are in that ravine and there are creatures slowly eating there way up the guy's arms and such, and they are screaming in terror for 4-5 minutes of film time. Way too much for a PG-13 rating.

In comparison, this movie, (and other PG-13 movies I've noticed in the last couple years), did NOT have the close-up death scenes or blood and guts scenes. There are plenty of times when you know that people are dying, but you don't see or hear the gore of it which is what is too intense for kids. I knew already this movie wouldn't have those kinds of scenes. Oh- and by the way- my son isn't allowed to watch King Kong yet.

And your Disney comment- did you forget this whole thing comes from a kid's cartoon? Yes, these movies are geared toward the people with money in their pockets, and the people who grew up with TF's, but it's still something that is for kids. The point being that even with a PG-13 rating, everyone in the movie industry including Mr. Bay, knows damn well that people are going to bring their kids to this movie. Knowing that, he could have left the swearing out.

Your problem is that you're not a parent and you're making comments here about what is or isn't appropriate for kids. You care about no one but yourself because you're not responsible for anyone but yourself I'd guess. Please don't try and attack me on a website. I just watched a movie that was as good for me as Star Wars was when i was seven. I'm ready to take on the world. (Oh- and I'm pretty sure there was like, NO swearing in that made-mostly-for-adults-and-wildly-successful fantasy film.)

KJFJustice

this is what Michael Bay wanted

Look at his track record of films. Even Pearl Harbor, had a director's cut version which included more cussing.
    Transformers 4 Movie Updates on Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/TheRaginNation

That was PG-13, but never should have been.
    What does a movie having been rated incorrectly have to do with this? I'd think if anything that might have made you even more cautious with regards to screening this one first.

But no, you took your 10 year old son to a PG-13 movie anyway, and got a bit upset over some of the swear words. How do you think you'll feel in 3 years time? You know, when he's actually at the minimum legal age required to watch it.

Sounds to me like they got the rating for this movie just fine, you just got a little bit more than you bargained for.

it's still something that is for kids.
    This is where you're wrong. It's based off an old kids show, and off toys, but it's not "for the kids". How was that not obvious from the first one, or from pretty much everything Michael Bay has directed thus far?

Mate, Ice Age 3, that one's for kids. You walked into the wrong cinema by accident, and it's Michael Bay's fault.

You care about no one but yourself because you're not responsible for anyone but yourself I'd guess.
    Me and mine mate, just like you are with yours. I like it when people call me out on the net for being selfish, like as if the whole world isn't.

The bit about being responsible for yourself you're spot on though. I didn't mean to come across as an arsehole, and I'm sorry about that, but the next time you want to vent, try to make sure your kid's at least met the minimum age requirement first.

Well thank you for the apology. I'm sorry if I came across too strong as well.

However, you're wrong about ratings. http://www.mpaa.org/FilmRatings.asp

The lowest rating under which a child under 17 can not attend is NC-17. PG-13 means parents cautioned, not that kids under thirteen can't go. They can go buy tickets by themselves and walk in alone if they want.

R- means that parents have to see the film with their kid under 13, but the kid can still go to the movie!

The point being that it's not illegal for kids under 13 to see the movie. But I didn't let mine see it alone. I was there to make sure he understood the story line, to experience it with him, to see how he was handling the content, to see if his handling of it was better than the last intense movie he saw, etc... You're right, I could have seen it first and taken him later, as I have with many other films. But for this one... he would have been totally disappointed and would have missed the opening day experience which is something I remember from my youth, and now he will too.

Enjoy, KJFjustice.

The point being that it's not illegal for kids under 13 to see the movie. But I didn't let mine see it alone. I was there to make sure he understood the story line, to experience it with him, to see how he was handling the content, to see if his handling of it was better than the last intense movie he saw, etc... You're right, I could have seen it first and taken him later, as I have with many other films. But for this one... he would have been totally disappointed and would have missed the opening day experience which is something I remember from my youth, and now he will too.
    You're quite right about the ratings, of course. All these years, I guess I misread them. My bad for commenting on it without properly knowing what they mean.

For his and your sake though, I hope he hasn't taken to the language in ROTF too much. He probably doesn't remember that bit; If I were 10 going into this flick, I'd come out with stars in my eyes, completely and totally wowed at the giant robots on display. I wish they'd been showing movies with these effects back when I was only 10.

Lucky buggers don't know how good they've got it

Well aparently i think the TF movies are for all ages including 80's kids like myself who grew up on the show.

DOnt forget when (*?Spoiler?*) wheelie starts humping mikaleas leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsubs View Post

I thought that part was unessessary, and not many people laughed at my showing.

This scene got a lot of loughs. Certainly there was some "terrific" scenes like the death of Optimus but I donīt think that this wasnīt suitable for kids. Michael Bay movies are bad ass movies and everyone should know it.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    I thought that part was unessessary, and not many people laughed at my showing.
    The audience in the IMAX I saw it at died laughing, myself included. It's all a matter of personal opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I have a ten year old who is quite mature for his age, but I also have a five year old who is still stuck in his "terrible two's". Obviously he won't be seeing this one, but after screening this I feel my ten year old can handle it. Doesn't mean I feel like a parent who wouldn't let their ten year old see it is wrong, just that they have a different opinion. Then again, kids are individuals. Some ten year olds will probably not even pay attention to the inuendo, or realize what it is.
    Some people do believe there's a reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. Duty.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkObiWan View Post
    This scene got a lot of loughs. Certainly there was some "terrific" scenes like the death of Optimus but I donīt think that this wasnīt suitable for kids. Michael Bay movies are bad ass movies and everyone should know it.

yeah it was funny but it was really really not necessary to be in the movie. As well as the dog humping mojo gone a bit too far for a transformers movie....

I personally thought the movie had too many humorous scenes.
    But I Overall I enjoyed the movie. the story isnt as bad as I thought. The fight scenes were definitely spectacular.
    Abit more character depth and more optimus prime woul've been good.
    I just wished this movie was a bit more serious(not so much humor in it).

Abit more character depth and more optimus prime woul've been good.
    I just wished this movie was a bit more serious(not so much humor in it).
    I agree. Optimus hadīnt lot screentime. His "final" fight and of course his final fight as Jetprime were just eyecandy. Ratchet and Ironhide were also too much in the background.

ROTF is defintly the funnier movie. But maybe we can expect a lot more drama for the third part. But itīs a log way to go. Until then I saw the two movies in an endless rotation.

Yea I remember with all the sex jokes, and the humping thing was silly.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkObiWan View Post
    Ratchet and Ironhide were also too much in the background.
    Yeah, Ironhide and ratchet were literally in the movie for like a total of 3-4 minutes. Sideswipe was barely noticed in the movie, and Soundwave should've helped some of the battles but i guess hes too lazy floating in space.

ANyways I loved the forrest fight scene! I have to say that was the best fight scene out of all the other fights in this movie. Optimus realy owned the battle considering how small he is next to Grindor, Megs and StarScream.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Gould View Post
    Yea I remember with all the sex jokes, and the humping thing was silly.
    As well as the mother showing everyone the baby boots and being high at the same time were just down right unecessary. Oh, and the marijuana thing doesnt help the plot of the movie at all as well as being a portrayal of drug use.

I'm 23 and I was not offended.

I support the humor and immaturity.

Besides, it was rated PG-13. Not a kids movie but more of a teen movie in my opinion.

I could have done without the Twins though.

Note to parents:

Screen the movie first before you take your kids.