Thread: Michael Bay for Godzilla

Default Michael Bay for Godzilla

So who thinks Michael Bay should direct the new Godzilla movie scheduled for 2013

No, he definitely shouldn't. There doesn't need to be another travesty of a Godzilla movie, give it back to Roland Emmerich, no one sees his movies anyways.
    My Fav Bay -
    1. The Rock
    2. Bad Boys 2
    3. Transformers
    4. Bad Boys
    5. The Island
    6. Armageddon
    7. Pearl Harbor

one of the origional Godzilla scripts was actually pretty good. The one written by the guys that wrote Pirates. Its possible to make a good one i'm sure, jsut the last one fell very short

any rundown of the plot or what that script was to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Chemical Superfreak View Post
    No, he definitely shouldn't. There doesn't need to be another travesty of a Godzilla movie, give it back to Roland Emmerich, no one sees his movies anyways.
    I so agree with you on that.

Rumors are the new Abrams film is the new Godzilla, but I honestly don't think Abrams will follow up the Matthew Broderick/Roland Emmerich travesty with what he's working on now.

No, it's not a Godzilla movie. It's basically "Rampage-The Movie", the 8bit NES game yknow? You should read CHUD.com, easily the best movie-gossip site on the net. They have the Cloverfield trailer there, they broke that the movie is now officially called Cloverfield and they have the official trailer & poster.
    My Fav Bay -
    1. The Rock
    2. Bad Boys 2
    3. Transformers
    4. Bad Boys
    5. The Island
    6. Armageddon
    7. Pearl Harbor

There are a bunch of other movies I'd prefer Bay to tackle first. Still hurtin' from Emmerich's Godzilla.

No, it's not a Godzilla movie. It's basically "Rampage-The Movie", the 8bit NES game yknow? You should read CHUD.com, easily the best movie-gossip site on the net. They have the Cloverfield trailer there, they broke that the movie is now officially called Cloverfield and they have the official trailer & poster.
    Thanks for the tip there superfreak.

CHEMICAL Superfreak, actually. No, that's still wrong. Supergeek Fanboy Superfreak is closer to the truth. EXCELSIOR! EXCELSIOR!.......
    My Fav Bay -
    1. The Rock
    2. Bad Boys 2
    3. Transformers
    4. Bad Boys
    5. The Island
    6. Armageddon
    7. Pearl Harbor

CHEMICAL Superfreak, actually. No, that's still wrong. Supergeek Fanboy Superfreak is closer to the truth. EXCELSIOR! EXCELSIOR!.......
    ROFL.

How 'bout SFS???

Supergeek Fanboy Superfreak

Wait, fanboy? Those guys were hostile on Ain't It Cool News forums regarding TF!!!

i don't give a crap about some 80s cartoon i never saw. those are the "worthless" fanboys, the fat bitter ones bitching about cartoons n' comics.
    My Fav Bay -
    1. The Rock
    2. Bad Boys 2
    3. Transformers
    4. Bad Boys
    5. The Island
    6. Armageddon
    7. Pearl Harbor

i don't give a crap about some 80s cartoon i never saw. those are the "worthless" fanboys, the fat bitter ones bitching about cartoons n' comics.
    Ahhhh, okay, thanks for clarifying there.

The Day After Tomorrow was a big hit if I remember correctly.

Back to topic, nah, he shouldn't do Godzilla. Besides, Emmerich killed off any possible chance of a franchise with his lifeless, dull 1998-flick, so they'll have to start things over and there really is no need for a "remake" of a less than 10 years old film. I doubt it would go very well at the box-office.

Day After Tomorrow was a.......hit? Seriously? I remember it dropping from theatres like that.......well anyways, how was it? did everyone here catch the midnight screening? Sorry, i'm off topic, but my freind and i were arguing the merits of Emmerichs' directing recently. Stargate is the only Emmerich film that's lasted <and maybe improved?> over the years.

Back on topic.......Godzilla SUCKS. CLOVERFIELD WILL SUCK TOO.
    Back on topic..........um.....uhhhhh......
    My Fav Bay -
    1. The Rock
    2. Bad Boys 2
    3. Transformers
    4. Bad Boys
    5. The Island
    6. Armageddon
    7. Pearl Harbor

Day After Tomorrow was a.......hit? Seriously? I remember it dropping from theatres like that.......well anyways, how was it? did everyone here catch the midnight screening? Sorry, i'm off topic, but my freind and i were arguing the merits of Emmerichs' directing recently. Stargate is the only Emmerich film that's lasted <and maybe improved?> over the years.

Back on topic.......Godzilla SUCKS. CLOVERFIELD WILL SUCK TOO.
    Back on topic..........um.....uhhhhh......
    Heh, I never saw it in theaters, still haven't seen it entirely.

Godzilla does suck (all versions, but the originals are very cheesy), and Cloverfield...I dunno, I have yet to see the entire new trailer.

See now i don't agree with that. The original Godzilla had a very clear commentary on a post-wwII "nuclear fears" society. The rest may be cheesy but i'd watch a ".....vs Mothra, Rodan, etc" movie ANY night of the week over Godzilla 1998. I see the point, Bay COULD do that masterfully, it's his gift. SHOULD he? no no, he needs to do 2012 and try to advance his skill sets, i don't want him to stall out and pull a Tarantino....
    Last edited by Chemical Superfreak; 11-25-2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: grammar
    My Fav Bay -
    1. The Rock
    2. Bad Boys 2
    3. Transformers
    4. Bad Boys
    5. The Island
    6. Armageddon
    7. Pearl Harbor

See now i don't agree with that. The original Godzilla had a very clear commentary on a post-wwII "nuclear fears" society. The rest may be cheesy but i'd watch a ".....vs Mothra, Rodan, etc" movie ANY night of the week over Godzilla 1998. I see the point, Bay COULD do that masterfully, it's his gift. SHOULD he? no no, he needs to do 2012 and try to advance his skill sets, i don't want him to stall out and pull a Tarantino....
    To each his own. I haven't seen the original in years.

The dubbing is horrible, but of course it's horrible with all foreign films, especially the Bruce Lee films.

Great, but cheesy.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the highlight to that character and series were in the 60's-70's when special effects were limited.you had to use your imagination to make the movie work.that was the magic.new stories and move on,unless its your stories....(hint,hint,Transformers2?) I think the 90's attempt to make godzilla was the final gasp of breathe for this beloved creature,unless you check ps2 game sales for the newly released gozilla unleashed.if they sale a record amount then maybe??beat an old rug to look nice for company coming over....but beat it too much and it gets a hole in the middle.that sucks.....
    Last edited by barricade505; 12-11-2007 at 10:38 AM.

Default Re: Michael Bay for Godzilla

Quote Originally Posted by BrettLee View Post
    one of the origional Godzilla scripts was actually pretty good. The one written by the guys that wrote Pirates. Its possible to make a good one i'm sure, jsut the last one fell very short
    GODZILLA written by Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio
    One thing they don't warn you about in film school, that nobody tells you about regarding screenwriting, is THE SPEECH.

For most of the films I've worked on that have been produced, I've had to learn some version of The Speech. What happens is this: people (friends, relatives) come up to you and say something like, "I saw THE PUPPET MASTERS on television the other night," or "Hey, didn't you work on GODZILLA?" And you feel compelled to explain that yes, you worked on the picture, but you know that it's terrible, it's okay that they hated it, you would have done it differently, etc. You find yourself in the situation so often, the collection of disclaimers, apologies and explanations for a movie eventually become rote.

For example, here's 'The Speech' for GODZILLA:

"Yes, we worked on it, but our script got thrown out. We got story credit because they kept some basic elements -- but in our draft, Godzilla fought a second monster, and kicked his ass. We realized that Godzilla was the hero, and even if people were afraid of him in the beginning, they wanted to root for him in the end."

To which people invariably look relieved ("Great, I don't have to pretend the movie wasn't crap") and say, "Oh, that would have been much better."

And it would have been.

For the record: Ted and I originally helped get the GODZILLA film off the ground at TriStar, writing a screenplay that satisfied the studio enough to seek directors. Our draft got the interest of Jan De Bont just after he finished SPEED. During pre-production on the film (man, the storyboards looked great!) budget differences caused Jan and TriStar to part ways.

The INDEPENDENCE DAY team of Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich came in, and decided to write their own script. They were complimentary of our draft, and said it showed them that a film could be made -- but concluded "It wasn't a story we wanted to tell." They kept some elements, and changed most. So here is the version that might have been -- our last draft, worked on with Jan. You can see for yourself how responsible we are for the film that was eventually made.

All right -- now all the tech stuff.

You can read GODZILLA online(one BIG page; 240k), and you can also download a compressed 'formatted text' file for Mac (Stuffed, self-expanding, BinHex'd; 130k), or PC (Zipped; 70k).

ALL versions look best when viewed in Courier 12 point. You might want to double-check that your 'Fixed' or 'Fixed-width' font option/preference is set to Courier.

To download a compressed file (again in most current browsers), click and HOLD your cursor on the file's link till a small menu pops up, and select 'Save this Link as...' or 'Download Link to Disk' or words to that effect.

Finally, to use a compressed file, you'll need a program to decode and/or open them. (Get StuffIt Expander. It's FREE, it's multi-platform, and it's great!)

Please note that the 'formatted text' files are similar to the original script but NOT exact (no underlining, for example). We're all sticklers for detail as far as screenplay formatting goes, but in this case, there's no choice -- that's just how this file stuff works.

So there you go. We hope you enjoy the script -- it's the version of the film we thought would work. No speeches needed.

Terry Rossio
    May, 1999

COVER INTRO SCRIPT

WELCOME FORUMS COLUMNS INDY PROS COMPANY ARCHIVES
    1999 Terry Rossio & Ted Elliott http://www.wordplayer.com Site Map Mail

Rampage the Movie?!?! FUCK YES! Bay would do an excellent job with this. Any links?
    TF2 Trading Cards http://www.tf2cards.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Thank you for digging up this old thread from nearly TWO YEARS AGO!!!