Thread: Movie Reviewers/Film Critics

Default Movie Reviewers/Film Critics

For some reason I haven't realized this until now. But when movie reviewers have a bad review of something. They just absolutely tear into it. For the most part it's not fair constructive criticism. It's "lets make fun of this man/woman and rip into how bad a film maker they are". As a decent human being shouldn't they have a social responsibility to these people to at least be decent in their criticism. Or am I just a crazy nut?!

Default Re: Movie Reviewers/Film Critics

I only pay attention to Roger Ebert, Richard Roeper, and Gene Shalit.

Who gives a shit about a reviewer's opinion? What makes their opinion more valid than mine? Some snob with a hard on for bland French Cinema's never gonna dig a big, ballsy action flick. The only thing that matters if is you like it.
    - Omar B.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

In the end it's all about opinions. The problem is that most critics feel theirs is law and everyone else is wrong.

that's not my point. I don't care if a film reviewer doesn't like a movie. That's not my issue. The issue is, that if a film reviewer is somebody your reading, they are in a position where a lot of people may be reading that review. So don't they have a social responsibility to be negative in a constructive, mature, considerate way towards the film maker then to be as harsh as possible, while trying to come up with the best negative ways to make fun of aspects of the film?

Quote Originally Posted by xAgonyxScenex View Post
    that's not my point. I don't care if a film reviewer doesn't like a movie. That's not my issue. The issue is, that if a film reviewer is somebody your reading, they are in a position where a lot of people may be reading that review. So don't they have a social responsibility to be negative in a constructive, mature, considerate way towards the film maker then to be as harsh as possible, while trying to come up with the best negative ways to make fun of aspects of the film?
    Depends on how they feel really. I've trashed some films in the worst possible way that others didn't have a problem with. There are times though where critics do need to say "well this worked, this didn't" but to tell ya the truth, it's more fun to write bad reviews. :P

Quote Originally Posted by razgriz21 View Post
    I only pay attention to Roger Ebert, Richard Roeper, and Gene Shalit.

Why? Those guys are like 80 years old.... The only critics you should go by are people you know...You're friends... Not some old guy who wouldn't even go see the movie he's reviewing if he wasn't paid to do it. Why would you trust their opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by halofan1 View Post
    Depends on how they feel really. I've trashed some films in the worst possible way that others didn't have a problem with. There are times though where critics do need to say "well this worked, this didn't" but to tell ya the truth, it's more fun to write bad reviews. :P
    your still missing the point. Every movie review ever could be negative. That's fine. Who am I to tell someone their opinion is wrong. It's the downright unnecessary attacking of people in a production. Saying things like "the writer should never be allowed near a movie again" and "the director is so incompetent it's a wonder he even graduated film school." Stuff like that, that serves no purpose in a film review.

I've definitely been guilty of this.

your still missing the point. Every movie review ever could be negative. That's fine. Who am I to tell someone their opinion is wrong. It's the downright unnecessary attacking of people in a production. Saying things like "the writer should never be allowed near a movie again" and "the director is so incompetent it's a wonder he even graduated film school." Stuff like that, that serves no purpose in a film review.I've definitely been guilty of this.
    I get you're point and I think it's a social as well as a psychological reason. As human beings we just tend to think our opinions are right and everyone else is wrong. While we're taught to tolerate other opinions we don't always do it. And socially all us fanboys/fangirls, geeks, film enthusiast, what ever you want to call us. We should just relax we take movies and Bay a little to seriously. Look at all the Transformers 2 review threads if they don't think it's awesome we trash them as human beings. If you listen to a regular average Joe about their film opinions they won't care or argue so hard with you if they disagree (well mostly). I think we should all collectively take a chill pill.

Quote Originally Posted by Inflataman View Post
    I get you're point and I think it's a social as well as a psychological reason. As human beings we just tend to think our opinions are right and everyone else is wrong. While we're taught to tolerate other opinions we don't always do it. And socially all us fanboys/fangirls, geeks, film enthusiast, what ever you want to call us. We should just relax we take movies and Bay a little to seriously. Look at all the Transformers 2 review threads if they don't think it's awesome we trash them as human beings. If you listen to a regular average Joe about their film opinions they won't care or argue so hard with you if they disagree (well mostly). I think we should all collectively take a chill pill.
    Bless you, sir. This is just what i was thinking.

Humans have a strength that cannot be measured.
    We all have our own unique strengths and weaknesses.
    So why hate? Bring in the love.

Quote Originally Posted by OmarB View Post
    Who gives a shit about a reviewer's opinion? What makes their opinion more valid than mine? Some snob with a hard on for bland French Cinema's never gonna dig a big, ballsy action flick. The only thing that matters if is you like it.
    This.