Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bay frustrated at critics?

Hybrid View

Default Bay frustrated at critics?

Bay has never come across as someone who has cared about what critics think of him or his movies but this was posted on IMDb. Its apparently from an article on WENN:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    The filmmaker helmed the original 2007 movie and returned this year with its sequel - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

But Bay, who is known for his explosive action sequences, is sick of receiving negative reviews from critics who dislike his movie-making style and is determined to move away from the genre.

He says, "It's easy to go shoot an art movie in a winery in the South of France. But people have no idea how hard it is to create something like Transformers. They (the critics) review me before they've even seen the movie."

And Bay admits that if film bosses give the go ahead for a third Transformers movie, they will have to find a different director.

He adds, "After the three and a half years I've spent making these movies, I feel like I've had enough of the Transformers world.

"I need to do something totally divergent, something without any explosions."

I haven't been able to find the article on the WENN website so first off, can anyone confirm whether this is a legitmate article/interview?

If it is accurate, I think Bay is spot on about how his movies are treated by critics but its the first time he's come across as caring about their opinion. Also, he recently said he would do Transformers 3 but only after a years break.

Thoughts?
    "To the Believer, no proof is necessary...To the non-Believer, no proof is possible."

Default Re: Bay frustrated at critics?

Wont let me edit my original post - looks like Total Film is reporting the same http://www.totalfilm.com/news/no-tra...or-michael-bay
    "To the Believer, no proof is necessary...To the non-Believer, no proof is possible."

Yeah, I just read the same at total film. That's why I came here to see if there was anything official.

Wussy! Never pay any mind to critics!

Just kidding. I won't call him a wussy. I had worked on a trilogy + a sequel + a spin-off for 10 years, so I can understand the way he feels that he's had enough.

But quite honestly I want to see more, even I've already seen RotF just 10 days ago.
    He expanded the possibility and raised the bar of the genre. Look at all of the Transformers-wannabe visuals on movies/TV. Definitely he's the one who established the totally new genre.

Yeah, I know he should do whatever he wants. He deserves to do that. But if I may make a wish, I want to see one more piece of the Transformers universe by Michael Bay and his team. As I've got permanently inked on my skin, I love no other Primes but the movie Optimus he made. So I hope Michael will be back. I bet fans can wait.

Default No Micheal Bay for TF3?

Link - http://www.totalfilm.com/news/no-tra...or-michael-bay

If this is true..goodbye awesome explosions
    Why so serious?

Are you sure this is real?

The sentence doesn't look like Bay. And the part of the art movie in france is exactly like one he said in the first Transformers promotion.

I don't believe this he has to return. Who cares what the critics think.

it came from IMDB don't believe them bay will do TF3
    Optimus Prime. Never disappoints... Unlike YOU, Starscream!

Quote Originally Posted by megatron42 View Post
    it came from IMDB don't believe them bay will do TF3
    I found the initial article from a poster on IMDb but as I said, Total Film are reporting the same thing.

Ultimately, I just want to know - is this a real interview or just based on heresay/joke?

Look, TotalFilm says [Source: WENN, via IMDB]. I'll be more than happy if this isn't real.

Quote Originally Posted by sora View Post
    Look, TotalFilm says [Source: WENN, via IMDB]. I'll be more than happy if this isn't real.
    Ooops - didn't see that. D'oh lol. I'd love it to not be real and I wasn't sure it was which is why I asked if anyone could confirm/deny

Relax Bay will do TF3 and many more action movies. The journalists always try & report things out of context or to generate a story out of nothing. Michael Bay is only human and not a robot!! After 3.5 years of work on Transformers he is obviously a bit tired right now. When he has his year off and counts the salary from TF2 you can depend on him being back for TF3!!! Only Bay can make a TF movie no-one else has the talent!!

Critics are never going to like his movies but the worldwide PR tour for TF2 has shown fans love his movies and pay lots of money to see them repeatedly. That matters more than critical acceptance.

It took Spielberg almost 20 years to win an oscar and be critically accepted so Bay has plenty of time to make an oscar winning masterpiece!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
    Bay has never come across as someone who has cared about what critics think of him or his movies but this was posted on IMDb. Its apparently from an article on WENN:

The filmmaker helmed the original 2007 movie and returned this year with its sequel - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

But Bay, who is known for his explosive action sequences, is sick of receiving negative reviews from critics who dislike his movie-making style and is determined to move away from the genre.

He says, "It's easy to go shoot an art movie in a winery in the South of France. But people have no idea how hard it is to create something like Transformers. They (the critics) review me before they've even seen the movie."

And Bay admits that if film bosses give the go ahead for a third Transformers movie, they will have to find a different director.

He adds, "After the three and a half years I've spent making these movies, I feel like I've had enough of the Transformers world.

"I need to do something totally divergent, something without any explosions."

I haven't been able to find the article on the WENN website so first off, can anyone confirm whether this is a legitmate article/interview?

If it is accurate, I think Bay is spot on about how his movies are treated by critics but its the first time he's come across as caring about their opinion. Also, he recently said he would do Transformers 3 but only after a years break.

Thoughts?
    Don't do it, Michael! TRANSFORMERS 3 needs you!

No Bay no Transformers!!!

Please Bay Never give up!!!!!!! I love your film ! :-(

hope this news is Fake....

never in my life have i followed a movie being made like i have TF2. I believe no one else could of made transformers come to life the way he has. To many G1 fans wanted wimpy weak looking TFS but Bay made you want to do a double take while driving down the road seeing a familliar car. Please Bay continue on this awsome adventure called Transformers, I am a huge fan of the movies tf1 & tf2 and i want to see you do tf3. If it isnt you then I won't go see it.
    "Call me a traitor...I'm just collecting your victims..." Paramore Monster

if its true by explosions and possibly megan and shia noooooo come on mr bay u where made to make this film all the way through it will be the best sequal since terminater all the way up to number 3 that is salvation isnt that great

so mr bay if its true then i hope it isnt

sorry double post but here a nother link

http://www.filmshaft.com/news/michae...-transformers/

says

Michael Bay, director of this Friday’s blockbuster release, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is leaving the franchise if recent reports are to be believed. The action director who brought you 2007’s Transformers, Bad Boys II and Pearl Harbour is supposedly leaving the genre he’s built his career on - because he’s tired of negative reviews.
    The news comes from WENN and via IMDB today, just three short days since FilmShaft attended the UK Premiere of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen starring Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox and Josh Duhamel:
    “It’s easy to go shoot an art movie in a winery in the South of France. But people have no idea how hard it is to create something like Transformers. They (the critics) review me before they’ve even seen the movie.”
    It’s worth noting that this story goes completely against earlier reports regarding the release date of a third Transformers film, in which Michael Bay has been quoted as saying:
    they asked me on the phone - I said yes to July 4 - but for 2012
    So what’s going on? Is this a cynical trick from the director to promote ticket sales on his “last” Transformers film? Or is Michael Bay for real? Well, according to the Baymeister:
    “After the three and a half years I’ve spent making these movies, I feel like I’ve had enough of the Transformers world.
    “I need to do something totally divergent, something without any explosions.”
    You know despite my lukewarm review for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, I don’t think any other director should really be given the series. Bay has put his own spin on things yes, but it certainly seems to have ticked all the right boxes with people first time round and I have no doubts it will again.
    Sometimes it has to be said that a critics opinion matters very little, whether the crowd is entertained is far more important to a studio than if the individual is entertained after all.

very sad face

like that said if no bay then no one else should get the series
    Last edited by devil127; 06-18-2009 at 11:15 AM.

one person i'm waiting to answer this.. they know who they are

Why should Bay care what a few armchair critics without a creative bone in their body think. On their best day they could not even come close to Bay's work. It's easier to tear down than create and we've got lots of critics that simply wish to tear down.

Fact of the matter is, it's the money that talks. The real fans pay money not go to free press screenings. Vote with your dollars, make this one the biggest thing since the last one. It's the audience that matters not the peanut gallery of naysayers.
    - Omar B.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

Seems like an odd time to start giving a crap what reviews say but I can understand it really did seem like Michael put a lot of effort into this movie but the critics are treating it as if he just lazily did the movie. Critics are just like that I make web comics I once released a web comic that I was sure to be my best work but everyone hated it calling it too much style and not enough humor. Oh well what can you do but keep true your style. Hang in there Mike do it for all the regular movie viewers who love Transformers check out the opinions of Fandago for TF2 everyone really loved the first 1 and 2 looks awsome.

Question What Would Bay Do Next For a Film?

No Matter what Mr. Bay decides to tackle next, He'll be the legend that brought the Transformers Franchise to life unlike any other director would have been capable of doing. I'm a huge Bay fan so no matter what type of movie he does, I'll be sure to watch it. I wouldn't mind seeing a Drama or a Thriller/Suspense Movie. He could do anything, i'd actually love for him to do a Gears of War movie, But that's just wishful thinking, I doubt bay would ever do a Video game to Movie remake. But He would be the Sickest Director for Doing A GOW movie. Another movie i Could see him doing would be like a Post Apocolyptic Thriller, or something. Maybe even a Western like he's mentioned he would like doing. No Matter what it will be Bada**. Thank you Michael Bay for Making Movies an amazing Visual Experience and Being The sickest action director on the Planet!

Michael Bay is a wonderful man, and I do not like Critics and reviewers, he should do what he wants to do without stupid critics telling him what to do. I don't read any good or bad reviews either!
    Last edited by DiplomaDope; 06-24-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Banned

the critics say their are plotholes in the movie, i went on this website and i EXPLAINED every every SINGLE plothole and "shot down" all of them! I think the movie has no plotholes, and the plotholes that they came up with makes them seem like they dont understand the story. U have to really understand the story before you go even tformers fans are like "that makes more sense than what i came up with" i know how to save the plotholes, and i think tformers is awesome!

madison

Quote Originally Posted by prettygirlmadison View Post
    the critics say their are plotholes in the movie, i went on this website and i EXPLAINED every every SINGLE plothole and "shot down" all of them! I think the movie has no plotholes, and the plotholes that they came up with makes them seem like they dont understand the story. U have to really understand the story before you go even tformers fans are like "that makes more sense than what i came up with" i know how to save the plotholes, and i think tformers is awesome!

madison

i never listen to what they say maybe i'll be a critic

Junior Member Raymond Lee Leggs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by megatron42 View Post
    i never listen to what they say maybe i'll be a critic

Me neither, Movie critics are really annoying, especially the really Immature, or snobby ones who have to nitpick everything or worse threaten to kill you
    for liking the movie and go on and on about how you are worthless.

Trying to find plotholes in ROTF is like coplainging about the fact will smith always plays a Black man, or why Perez hilton is a Douche, there is no explanation nor are there ANY plotholes