Thread: rtype and anyone else i e-trust

Hybrid View

Moderator / formerly "Gunrock" The Great's Avatar

Default rtype and anyone else i e-trust

I need new shocks for my jeep cherokee 99 any advice on this?

Default Re: rtype and anyone else i e-trust

Next time I talk to my friend (who is more of a car guy than I am) I'll ask him.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by The Great View Post
    I need new shocks for my jeep cherokee 99 any advice on this?

Off road/performance applications? (is it 2wd/4x4?) Or just an OEM factory ride swap? (because your shocks are shot) Do alot of towing?

Depending on how rough you treat the Jeep, and me assuming it's a street Jeep, you're looking at about spending on avg. $140-$180+ (sans labor) for set of standard, get-the-job-done gas-charged absorbers. (brands like Monroe $, KYB $$, Bilstein $$$, etc.) From your local auto parts store. You can also see if your local Chrysler still carries OEM shocks, if you want to go that route.

Technically, you can do it yourself, but if you aren't comfortable with doing it, just get with a shop that doesn't necessarily force you to buy shocks from them. (unless the shocks they offer are reasonable for your budget)

Hope that helps, don't know how specific you needed the info to be.

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post
    Off road/performance applications? (is it 2wd/4x4?) Or just an OEM factory ride swap? (because your shocks are shot) Do alot of towing?

Depending on how rough you treat the Jeep, and me assuming it's a street Jeep, you're looking at about spending on avg. $140-$180+ (sans labor) for set of standard, get-the-job-done gas-charged absorbers. (brands like Monroe $, KYB $$, Bilstein $$$, etc.) From your local auto parts store. You can also see if your local Chrysler still carries OEM shocks, if you want to go that route.

Technically, you can do it yourself, but if you aren't comfortable with doing it, just get with a shop that doesn't necessarily force you to buy shocks from them. (unless the shocks they offer are reasonable for your budget)

Hope that helps, don't know how specific you needed the info to be.
    i have a 4X4 jeep the shocks were standard but i am looking for something a bit more advanced since i am going to start overhauling.

i have a 4X4 jeep the shocks were standard but i am looking for something a bit more advanced since i am going to start overhauling.
    Then yeah, you're going to want to pay for some good quality monotube shocks. Don't forget the mounts as well.

Brands such as (aside from OEM):
    Tokico
    Bilstein

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post
    Then yeah, you're going to want to pay for some good quality monotube shocks. Don't forget the mounts as well.

Brands such as (aside from OEM):
    Tokico
    Bilstein
    so the mounts will be seperate? How much do they usually run? and as usually put all shocks at once right meaning dont buy a pair put it on wait and then buy another?

so the mounts will be seperate? How much do they usually run? and as usually put all shocks at once right meaning dont buy a pair put it on wait and then buy another?
    Ideally, you want to replace all 4 corners at once. For obvious reasons (i.e, even wear & tear). Which becomes a little more difficult to do so if you are doing it piecemeal.

The mount kits are separate and can run from (approx.) $20+ per kit. Something that will aid in maintaining the life of new shock.

This is all dependent on budget, how long you plan on keeping Jeep, it being a 10 yr old vehicle, etc.