Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Armageddon still everyones fave Bay movie?

Default Is Armageddon still everyones fave Bay movie?

For me, yes! it never fails to entertain me and make me depressed yet feel good at the same time.

Default Re: Is Armageddon still everyones fave Bay movie?

You assume it's my favorite movie of his? You are wrong.
    - Omar B.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

See this is hard. I love Pearl Harbor, but the Transformers movie made me feel like a kid again and gave me something fun to have in common with my son.

However, in terms of writing and overall story mine would be Pearl Harbor.
    Some people do believe there's a reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. Duty.

The Island, ... until Transformers came along.

bad boys 2,transformers,the rock,pearl harbor,the island,armaggedon.bad boys 1...thats my list maybe it will change when TF2 comes out

The Island is his best movie in my opinion. (Besides Transformers)
    "Science fiction isn't about spaceships, laser-fights, and explosions, Sci-Fi is about placing humanity in extreme positions and examining their reactions and our morality, as well as postulating on our future development as a species and as individuals."

Yes, it's fucking great.

My favorites of his are:

1. Armageddon.
    2. Transformers.
    3. The Rock.
    4. The Island.
    5. Bad Boys.

My least favorite is Bad Boys 2 (Inferior to the first one which was awesome). I do have mixed feelings on "Pearl Harbor", it's not too bad but it's good fun but far inferior to the superior "Titanic".

Drake

I'm actually not a huge Bay fan. I like his movies, but I'm by no means fanatical about them.

I certainly like all his movies. Transformers is my favorite. But picking what would be number 2 is difficult. I really like the Island, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor.....huh....I like each of his movies for different reasons. Guess it depends on what mood I in.

Actually Transformers is my second favorite movie of all time. The top stop still belongs to Lord of the Rings (I just count it as one movie...cause it is.) Revenge of the Fallen might just, maybe....change that.

Guess I with find out in three weeks time.

Honestly it's a tough one. I watched Bad Boys when it first came out and loved it. I fell in love with Mr. Bay then. Armageddon was a nice ride. And while some underestimate and try and dummy him down, Pearl Harbor had a LOT of factual events and stories it. His attention to detail in that movie I feel was greatly under-rated. Bad Boys 2 was a fun ride as well. And Transformers no doubt cemented his status as a hell of a director.

For Bay movies, I prefer Pearl Harbor though. With Bad Boys 1&2 tied with Transformers and Armageddon last. But that's still good. And it was nice to see Jon Voight in Pearl Harbor AND in Transformers 2. (I wonder how many noticed that. ) He's bad ass IMO. It's obvious Michael Bay agrees.

I have the DVD set of Pearl Harbor that is the directors cut of it that comes with the postcards, more graphic violence and less sappy story. As well as a different menu theme and a bunch of other stuff. It's a snazzy kit at that!

I also have the Criterion version of Armageddon.

Either way, Armageddon is a fun ride. But I would say wasn't his best. Don't get me wrong. I love the movie and think it's great. But I feel Pearl Harbor and the Bad Boys movies are better.

I consider ARMAGEDDON 1A and TRANSFORMERS 1B.

They are equally perfect Summer blockbuster spectacle thrillrides of the highest grade, just 100% red-blooded, all-American, stand-up-and-cheer, visceral film entertainment extravaganzas. ARMAGEDDON is funnier, more emotionally involving and shot prettier, but then TRANSFORMERS is/was just mindblowing, a kind of jaw-dropping work of visual art I hadn't experienced since I saw JURASSIC PARK June 11, 1993, so I can't give either an edge over the other.

I digress by adding this, but it is a film sin that TRANSFORMERS did not win the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects. It would have been really classy to see the guys who did THE COMPASS decline the award and maybe even scold the Academy, I mean that's like running for 1,300 yards and 10 scores in the NFL the same year another cat runs for 2000 and 30 scores and you get named NFL MVP. WTF... I would be embarrassed. (And yes, that's a perfect analogy; they did good work on COMPASS, the equivalent of a 'good' season running the ball, but better than TRANSFORMERS?? UM, NO.)

The Academy's awarding of Best VFX to COMPASS over TRANSFORMERS was very wrong, very personal, and totally unprofessional.

End of tangent rant, and yes, I know, it was 2 years ago, let it go, etc . . . :deadhorse1: I am aware...

Quote Originally Posted by armageddon View Post
    I digress by adding this, but it is a film sin that TRANSFORMERS did not win the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects. It would have been really classy to see the guys who did THE COMPASS decline the award and maybe even scold the Academy, I mean that's like running for 1,300 yards and 10 scores in the NFL the same year another cat runs for 2000 and 30 scores and you get named NFL MVP. WTF... I would be embarrassed. (And yes, that's a perfect analogy; they did good work on COMPASS, the equivalent of a 'good' season running the ball, but better than TRANSFORMERS?? UM, NO.)

The Academy's awarding of Best VFX to COMPASS over TRANSFORMERS was very wrong, very personal, and totally unprofessional.

End of tangent rant, and yes, I know, it was 2 years ago, let it go, etc . . . :deadhorse1: I am aware...
    It's okay dude, I still feel your pain to this very day.

Hopefully Revenge will take the next Best VFX Oscar.

The Fallen shall have it's revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    It's okay dude, I still feel your pain to this very day.

Hopefully Revenge will take the next Best VFX Oscar.

The Fallen shall have it's revenge.
    And I agree with both of you. That did hurt...a lot. But I don't think they'll be able to get away with it a second time.

Transformers. Hell, it's one of my favorite movies. No pun intended, but for me, it was more than just a movie to me.

Hmm, tough to personally rank them.

Bad Boys 2 for me as a first though.

Pearl Harbor DC is probably my next fav

In order from most fav to least fav

Bad Boys 1, The Rock, Bad Boys 2, Transformers, The Island, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor

But they are all on top lists in comparison to other movies for me. But against each other Bad Boys 1 will always do it for me it is just perfect in every way. But they are all very close and I have a feeling TF2 or the new movie Bay will be doing the small one might take over the number 1 spot.

Dont get me wrong i am a sucker for Armaggedon but there is Transformers lol. Armaggedon may be the 2nd but there still is Pearl Harbor, The Rock and the bad boys

Ok i own Armageddon on Criterion as well, it's great and superior in it's unrated cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Mech_1000 View Post
    The Island, ... until Transformers came along.
    Same here. Island is underrated.
    XBL: Double 979
    PSN: Double_979

Thumbs up Re: Is Armageddon still everyones fave Bay movie?

From top to bottom most to least enjoyable for me.

Armageddon: DVD + Criterion Edition DVD.
    Transformers: HD-DVD + Bluray + DVD
    The Rock: DVD + Criterion Edition DVD +Bluray
    Pearl Harbour: DVD +Vista Series DVD + Bluray
    The Island: DVD + Bluray

I also own the very expensive Criterion Laserdiscs for both Armageddon & The Rock which cost around $100 each on release when I bought them!

Armageddon is without doubt one of the greatest if not the greatest popcorn movie ever made or likely to be. I still remember how stunning & overwhelming it was at the cinema and then when it hit Laserdisc & later DVD it still retained so much incredible power. I cannot wait for this baby to come home on Bluray and hope its real soon!!! "makes the rock look like my dinner with andre" is a quote Michael Bay said when doing an interview about this movie which is another reason why I love Bay's work. What an incredible cast as well all give memorable performances.

Transformers is next for me as its again an overwhelming experience
    & incredible wall to wall entertainment from start to finish. Everything about it is perfect you could not change anything as the tone is just pure popcorn so who cares about the humour or other plot factors critics hate. Its only a movie after all! How ILM never got the Oscar is typical academy to not give it to someone they still do not fully respect (and probably fear as Bay is an unstoppable powerhouse of movies now).

The Rock is an amazing action movie which has everything and is one of the best ever made. Connery, Cage & Harris all give strong performances but all through the cast everyone is perfect. When the action kicks in it goes into overdrive in a very stylish way that only Michael Bay can film & edit. No-one else on earth can do this type of movie the way Bay does it.

Pearl Harbour is another very strong movie. The action is totally incredible and the way Michael Bay manages to stage it all and tell the story on film in a style only he can accomplish. The only let down is some aspects of the romance are a little OTT and the shock in the ending feels very forced. I blame Disney for this as they would have insisted on certain story elements for such a big budget film.

The Island is a strong sci-fi/horror action movie. Well staged action, thoughtful & deep storyline. Again all actors are well cast & the action is well staged. The only reason I rank this so low is that the other 4 have more action and are more rewatchable. Make no mistake The Island is still a great movie.

Not seen much of Bad Boys 1+2 as not really interested in the story but what I did see on TV of BB2 looked like typical Bay!!!

For over 10 years now I have looked forward to whatever Bay does next in the movies and he has yet to let me down. I think that he has developed a style & unspoken language with film in the way he can explain a lot of information to the viewer without needing to use any actors to tell you what is happening. I think that no-one else, not Spielberg, Cameron, Zemeckis or Lucas can tell these stories the way Bay does. He is without a shadow of a doubt the greatest action movie director of alltime.

After TF3 I would love him to do another space movie perhaps the When Worlds Collide remake that Spielberg has been thinking about for years. Michael Bay would be perfect for this story!

Until then I can look forward to TF2 next week and hopefully the Armageddon Bluray in the next few months although it may well be next year now as I heard they might need to fix some VFX shots as the CGI does not hold up @ Bluray resolution.

Written by P+W: "Armageddon is without doubt one of the greatest if not the greatest popcorn movie ever made or likely to be. I still remember how stunning & overwhelming it was at the cinema and then when it hit Laserdisc & later DVD it still retained so much incredible power. What an incredible cast as well all give memorable performances.

Transformers is next for me as its again an overwhelming experience & incredible wall to wall entertainment from start to finish."

I concur 100%.
    Last edited by armageddon; 06-10-2009 at 09:36 PM.

Yes.
    Shoot for the impossible...
    ...Then do it.

"It's not easy being a Michael Bay fan. In contemporary society you could be an overweight, disabled, lesbian, African-American Jew who smokes, and still you wouldn't be as discriminated against as much as someone who positively adores Armageddon."

www.jesterpictures.com www.jarek.com

Quote Originally Posted by P+W View Post

From top to bottom most to least enjoyable for me.

Armageddon: DVD + Criterion Edition DVD.
    Transformers: HD-DVD + Bluray + DVD
    The Rock: DVD + Criterion Edition DVD +Bluray
    Pearl Harbour: DVD +Vista Series DVD + Bluray
    The Island: DVD + Bluray

I also own the very expensive Criterion Laserdiscs for both Armageddon & The Rock which cost around $100 each on release when I bought them!

Armageddon is without doubt one of the greatest if not the greatest popcorn movie ever made or likely to be. I still remember how stunning & overwhelming it was at the cinema and then when it hit Laserdisc & later DVD it still retained so much incredible power. I cannot wait for this baby to come home on Bluray and hope its real soon!!! "makes the rock look like my dinner with andre" is a quote Michael Bay said when doing an interview about this movie which is another reason why I love Bay's work. What an incredible cast as well all give memorable performances.

Transformers is next for me as its again an overwhelming experience
    & incredible wall to wall entertainment from start to finish. Everything about it is perfect you could not change anything as the tone is just pure popcorn so who cares about the humour or other plot factors critics hate. Its only a movie after all! How ILM never got the Oscar is typical academy to not give it to someone they still do not fully respect (and probably fear as Bay is an unstoppable powerhouse of movies now).

The Rock is an amazing action movie which has everything and is one of the best ever made. Connery, Cage & Harris all give strong performances but all through the cast everyone is perfect. When the action kicks in it goes into overdrive in a very stylish way that only Michael Bay can film & edit. No-one else on earth can do this type of movie the way Bay does it.

Pearl Harbour is another very strong movie. The action is totally incredible and the way Michael Bay manages to stage it all and tell the story on film in a style only he can accomplish. The only let down is some aspects of the romance are a little OTT and the shock in the ending feels very forced. I blame Disney for this as they would have insisted on certain story elements for such a big budget film.

The Island is a strong sci-fi/horror action movie. Well staged action, thoughtful & deep storyline. Again all actors are well cast & the action is well staged. The only reason I rank this so low is that the other 4 have more action and are more rewatchable. Make no mistake The Island is still a great movie.

Not seen much of Bad Boys 1+2 as not really interested in the story but what I did see on TV of BB2 looked like typical Bay!!!

For over 10 years now I have looked forward to whatever Bay does next in the movies and he has yet to let me down. I think that he has developed a style & unspoken language with film in the way he can explain a lot of information to the viewer without needing to use any actors to tell you what is happening. I think that no-one else, not Spielberg, Cameron, Zemeckis or Lucas can tell these stories the way Bay does. He is without a shadow of a doubt the greatest action movie director of alltime.

After TF3 I would love him to do another space movie perhaps the When Worlds Collide remake that Spielberg has been thinking about for years. Michael Bay would be perfect for this story!

Until then I can look forward to TF2 next week and hopefully the Armageddon Bluray in the next few months although it may well be next year now as I heard they might need to fix some VFX shots as the CGI does not hold up @ Bluray resolution.
    Now this guy is a Bay fan!