Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please explain "Devastator"?

Senior Member StefsChemicalRomance's Avatar

Default Re: Please explain "Devastator"?

I know lots of people that have only simply seen the 2007 movie. Thats it. And whenever we are talking about it, and "Brawl" is brought it, he is always reffered to "That tank guy".

Call Devastator 'Devastator' - I can guarantee most people won't notice, slighlty less won't give a shit.

To whom it may concern, if your really not liking the idea of buying a NZ$16 movie ticket because of a character name error, we all know your going to see it anyway - Just don't come into my session and bitch about it.
    "I can change almost anything - But I can't change human nature." -Dr Manhattan/Jon Osterman

(A bit off topic)
    Hey, anybody could explain "gestault" with other words ?
    I'm french and couldn't find an explaination or a translation via google or my own dictionnary.

Quote Originally Posted by Djeeloo View Post
    (A bit off topic)
    Hey, anybody could explain "gestault" with other words ?
    I'm french and couldn't find an explaination or a translation via google or my own dictionnary.
    It's more of a fan term and in normal usage you won't find it.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Combiner#Terms_for_combiners

Gestalt: Fan-terminology for a certain class of combiners—generally used only for "big robot" combiners with emergent personalities. The term is nebulously defined, such that some fans would consider a two-member combiner such as Squawkbox a gestalt, but other fans would not. This is probably the fandom's second most frequently-used term for combining Transformers. Its use in Transfandom is derived from the principle of gestalt psychology, which is sometimes simplified to mean "greater/different than the sum of its parts," though a few fans consider this term pretentious and obtuse. The term remained firmly in realm of fanon for years, although it did appear in some Energon design sketches implying that Hasbro designers used the term occasionally, until in 2007 "gestalt" made its first official appearance, in the bio of the Titanium Series Menasor toy, once more in 2007's Spotlight: Optimus Prime referring to Monstructor, and again in 2009 in the Rise of Safeguard comic where Perceptor describes Jetfire's & Jetstorm's combination into Safeguard as a sort of "gestalt powerlink".

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Sergeant, man... sergeant. C'mon.
    Wow...muffed that one.
    Some people do believe there's a reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. Duty.

Will the name thing stop me from buying a ticket? HELL no! I'm gunna be there 12am FIRST DAY, like any good fan! I just wanted to know if they were gunna at least try to cover it up? I mean... Is Sir Bay the kind of man to leave an obvious slip up hanging in the air, or is he the kind of man so dedicated to his art that he'll try to smooth the edges a little? Distract as he may with explosions (reportedly breaking world-records, god bless him), but to not take the time to ensure you make your best work doesn't exactly strike me as being "bayish", hm?

By the by, the guy pretty much covered what the word "Gestault" came from and how it's used, but for fun, let me add to this that the whole idea of "The Whole is Greater Than the Sum of its Parts" was what Megsy was after when he commissioned the Devastator Project. Unfortunately, the result of slamming a bunch of TF bodies and minds together into a single robot has a bad side-effect of making the combined mine... LESS than the sum of its parts, so to speak? But seeing as that tends to make big, stupid bots that follow orders and NOTHING else, Megatron deemed the first combiner, Devastator, an unqualified success!

YAY BLIND LOYALTY!!!