Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please explain "Devastator"?

Default Please explain "Devastator"?

I know this question has been brought up, but I've yet to see it adequately explained. The name "Devastator" was used in movie 1 (yes, I know this was a mistake, but regardless of the fact that the tank is supposed to be called "Brawl" the movie was released, printed, and submitted to DVD with the name "Devastator" never being fixed), so is the gestault form of the constructicons going to still be called "Devastator" or will it be given a new name?

How are we going to explain away the name mistake??

I know it's probably been asked, but all I've ever seen as an answer is "they made a mistake". But the simple fact of the matter is, the mistake STANDS. It would be a little silly and a bit embarassing for Sir Bay to backstroke now and say "oh no, he actually said Brawl when everyone who watched the movie saw him say Devastator because it's a cooler decepticon name *actual excuse*"

So, what is the game plan?

Default Re: Please explain "Devastator"?

I don't think there is a game plan.

I don't think there has to be a game plan for that. I mean really...is it that important. The can be two characters named John in a movie series....why can't there be two Devastators????
    Ironhide kills Barricade!!!

they made a mistake

they didn't bother to fix it

they moved on

and so did the fans, well.....not all of them
    Transformers 4 Movie Updates on Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/TheRaginNation

Maybe little Devastator named himself after the big guy back on Cybertron. It's not like you can't have two guys named Bob.

USA--Bethlehem, PA The former hideout of Demolishor

In the original film....the only D-Cons that addressed each other by name were Megs & Screamer when they spoke at the dam so....it would be highly unlikely there would be more than one mention of the name "Devastator" {if there even is one in RotF}

I could see this line being used from Megs.....

"Constructicons unite so the Autobots can experience pure devastation" It alludes to DEV but..it doesn't confuse anyone who isn't aware of the mix-up
    Last edited by Ladies_Man_217; 05-23-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typo
    A creative signature would be right here if I wasn't such a procrast.....

:deadhorse1:
    Some people do believe there's a reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. Duty.

Or like humans the decepticons just messed up and called brawl by his wrong name, like how you accidently call your friend Bob, Sam. Or when brawl answered there was a programing error and he messed up his own name.

But either way who cares, Devistator is Devistator. Big deal there was a mess up in the first movie get over it. I am true fan and bigger then you and I don't give a crap about the mess up, it happens. As long as everything else is cool then I'll forgive the LITTLE mistake.

Was... that a challenge, magjipro? I would argue that if you were indeed a "bigger" fan than I, you'd be just as confused... and willing to debate it just for the fun of the thing. (Hell, most "bigger fans" than I whine and complain endlessly without offering anything to the discussion, if you noticed some of the Geewunner complaints during the making of film one..) Let's play a game you and I... strictly for the fun of the thing. Two can share the TF universe, yes? By the way, you misspelled "Devastator", uberfan.

That aside... Of course multiple humans can be called "John" or "Bob" within a single series without it getting TOO confusing because they have something that Transformers do not have:

LAST NAMES

When you're referred to by a single name, I.E. "BUMBLEBEE" I sincerely doubt that Sir Bay would allow it to go unnoticed somehow that someone else got your name "just because".

Don't try to pull up "Optimus.......Prime" because "Prime" is a title, folks.

That being said, my suggestions for recovering the Devastator name:
    1) as previously suggested, DON'T mention the big guy's name at all! Simple.
    2) Perhaps the Constructicons have a collective intelligence? "We are Devastator" so to speak, and Movie-Verse Brawl was one of them?
    3) In an EXTREME circumstance, we could always call this Devastator "Menasor" or some other Combiner's name.

There, three perfectly good (well, maybe not in that THIRD case >_>) game plans that could be put into play. Suggestions? Ideas?

And to the one who claimed I was:deadhorse1:, would you be so kind as to go into the forums and find even one post where they explain how they're going to get over the mishap rather than explain it as a movie flub in the first movie and intentionally ignore it? Thank you kindly!

-Night

Quote Originally Posted by Night_ShadeX View Post

And to the one who claimed I was:deadhorse1:, would you be so kind as to go into the forums and find even one post where they explain how they're going to get over the mishap rather than explain it as a movie flub in the first movie and intentionally ignore it? Thank you kindly!

-Night

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...vastator+brawl

You're right, there arent any posts explaining it. But you have the same results pertaining as to how many people care.

You're the only one
    There's a thin line between being a hero and being a memory...

Quote Originally Posted by magjipro View Post
    Or like humans the decepticons just messed up and called brawl by his wrong name, like how you accidently call your friend Bob, Sam. Or when brawl answered there was a programing error and he messed up his own name.

But either way who cares, Devistator is Devistator. Big deal there was a mess up in the first movie get over it. I am true fan and bigger then you and I don't give a crap about the mess up, it happens. As long as everything else is cool then I'll forgive the LITTLE mistake.
    Since when were you an authority on who is a "true/bigger" fan and who's not? Don't you know that "true fans" are only a myth?

If I'm the only one that cares, why are others bringing it up? Think about it.

As for the authority thing. No real basis, just feel a tad insulted that someone that can't even spell the robot's name is trying to belittle my point. I posted because I genuinely want to know if the name thing's going to get resolved, not to be critisized for my curiosity. Now...

If you don't CARE, don't post. If you would like to talk it over and discuss it because you do care about ANYTHING in this movie beyond "Oohh, sparkly vam-sorry-robots!" please, continue to talk.

And if it's such a hassle for you to read this... ask someone to delete it, so you're at the VERY least doing something "productive"

Thanks.

well all i can say to this thread is "Who gives a S**t its a film about giant fking robots kicking each others asses and its not real its fantasy.

so they made an error its not like it hasent happened before in other films no ones perfect live with it watch the film enjoy and repeat.

I know this question has been brought up, but I've yet to see it adequately explained. The name "Devastator" was used in movie 1 (yes, I know this was a mistake, but regardless of the fact that the tank is supposed to be called "Brawl" the movie was released, printed, and submitted to DVD with the name "Devastator" never being fixed), so is the gestault form of the constructicons going to still be called "Devastator" or will it be given a new name?

How are we going to explain away the name mistake??

I know it's probably been asked, but all I've ever seen as an answer is "they made a mistake". But the simple fact of the matter is, the mistake STANDS. It would be a little silly and a bit embarassing for Sir Bay to backstroke now and say "oh no, he actually said Brawl when everyone who watched the movie saw him say Devastator because it's a cooler decepticon name *actual excuse*"

So, what is the game plan?
    IMO, I don't you'll get an explanation.

Drake

It's called a mistake. It happens. Please get over it.

Simple way to fix the error. Devastator does not speak in TF2 and no autobot/decepticon mentions him by name. There are no subtitles displaying devastator's actual name.

Problem solved.

Yes i dont like the fact that they mixed it up, but i can look beyond that and enjoy the movie.

If I'm the only one that cares, why are others bringing it up? Think about it.

As for the authority thing. No real basis, just feel a tad insulted that someone that can't even spell the robot's name is trying to belittle my point. I posted because I genuinely want to know if the name thing's going to get resolved, not to be critisized for my curiosity. Now...

If you don't CARE, don't post. If you would like to talk it over and discuss it because you do care about ANYTHING in this movie beyond "Oohh, sparkly vam-sorry-robots!" please, continue to talk.

And if it's such a hassle for you to read this... ask someone to delete it, so you're at the VERY least doing something "productive"

Thanks.
    Sorry bud, I just tried to "show" you that your thread is getting the same feedback as before. That's all.

Just like with the dinobot thing, it's just a subject that does get feedback, good and bad and weird. But it's been done.

No one in this forum is disagreeing with you on this one and no one said "oooh sparkly vam-sorry-robots" (whatever that means)

I will not post anything on this again, because "I dont care" Im just a drifter that likes sparkly robots. Just because someone disagrees or doesnt care about 1 thing, doesnt mean that they cant talk. It's an open thread.
    There's a thin line between being a hero and being a memory...

-Night
    Someone's already taken care of finding a previous post around this topic, so I'll leave that alone. However the meaning of beating a dead horse in regards to this subject isn't limited to this forum alone. I doubt I'm alone in that I've seen this very topic multiple times on the web. It wasn't a shot at you personally.
    Some people do believe there's a reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. Duty.

I'd like to take a moment to apologize to anyone I've offended. I think I got a little snippy earlier (and yes, I do have strong opinions and times and tend to see fights where there aren't any). The "sparkly vam-robots!" comment was actually me taking a stab at Twilight, which is another sore spot for another time while simultaneously being somewhat insulting. Again... uncalled for. So, my apologies everyone, but to those of you who still are out there...

I think "not mentioning" it in the movie would basically cover their bets. I just wanted to see if anyone knew if or how they would try to cover up the mistake. Yes, they happen, but that doesn't mean you can't take an opportunity to smooth it over with a simple fix like "not mentioning". Hats off to MouseNo4 for pointing this out.

And the only reason I get upset about the beating of dead horses is because I don't see this horse as being dead, because an answer was never given outside of "we don't care, there's a movie being made, so be happy".

... If I wanna beat a dead horse, I'll ask about Soundwave again >_>

So, sorry again, folks, and to those still listening in or willing to talk... Any thoughts on WHETHER OR NOT they will attempt to fix the mishap? If yes, how? If no, okay then.

MouseNo4 took the words right out of my mouth. There's a good chance that in the movie, he's probably just gonna be known as the "big ass robot the Constructicons form into." Hell, we may never get any of the Constructicons' names for that matter. Who knows. Not gonna bother me when I watch the movie.

What I would like to see though is a future DVD/Blu-Ray release of TF1 with some mistakes fixed, including the Brawl/Devastator subtitle mix up. I wouldn't be surprised to see that one day. Heck, maybe a DVD featurette in the RotF DVD could address the mistake. I'd like to see them make note to the audience that they are aware of it.

Here. I know it's not the best source, but a source nonetheless. Although it doesn't say if the mistake will be corrected in the next film, it at least does acknowledge it as a mistake.

According to Roberto Orci, one of the writers of the movie, and Hasbro's Transformers team, "Devastator" is the mistake, and that the character is supposed to be named Brawl. The official names of all the Transformers seen in the film were confirmed in August of 2006, nearly a year before the film's North American release date. However, director Michael Bay was not fully aware of these names and sometimes referred to some of them by their "on-set names". (He said in an interview, that he often referred to Frenzy as "Soundbyte".) Thus, on-set he would refer to the tank Decepticon as "Devastator". Somehow, the name made its way into the final cut of the film. Director Michael Bay favored the name Devastator, as he felt that it sounded more threatening than Brawl. [2] The early leaked script Prime Directives had him named Devastator, as does the Titan U.K. magazine. Concept art for the character named him "Demolishor", as the name Brawl (in concept art) went to Barricade.

Yeah, I knew where it was admitted to be a slip-up. I forgot where the sources were, so thank you for hunting all those down, John! Points for doing homework! I can see how the slip-up was made, and I totally understand the nature of the mistake, but let's just hope that it doesn't make any real impact on TF2. Heck, I even HAVE the "Decepticon Brawl" toy here, which still makes me chuckle... Something to be said for Movieverse and Toyverse, eh?

Trailbreaker, that would be cool if they did it. I'd certainly buy it >_> but then again, I'm the type to fangirlishly squeal whenever anything TF related goes on the market. I even have the Autobot symbol tattooed on my arm, which is awesome (still gotta get the D-Con symbol on the other though). Plus, if there's commentary on the DVD and/or bluray... I'm all over that. *needs to check for commentary on his special edition TF1 disk now that his damned remote's finally working again* Yeah, my DVD player has no means of navigation beyond the remote *rolls eyes*

*just realized the geeky usage of action bubbles*

People have the same name....Robots cant?

That homework statement eerily reminds me of a Lt. in my old Company. He used to always say "Way to do your homework Sargeant!" No matter how exhausted we were he managed the same stupid grin every time he said it too.

Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Johnd818 View Post
    That homework statement eerily reminds me of a Lt. in my old Company. He used to always say "Way to do your homework Sargeant!" No matter how exhausted we were he managed the same stupid grin every time he said it too.

Sergeant, man... sergeant. C'mon.