Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Avatar by Cameron

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

$500 million production budget?

And how exactly does Cameron and Fox plan on making a profit from this movie?
    Last edited by Bayhem; 11-11-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    $500 million production budget?

And how exactly does Cameron and Fox plan on making a profit from this movie?
    Well they better hope to score Titanic box office success if they're gonna make some serious profit.

I just watched the extended trailer. I gotta say that it looks very impressive and exciting. I definitely wanna see it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    I just watched the extended trailer. I gotta say that it looks very impressive and exciting. I definitely wanna see it now.

I know I'm gonna see the movie, no doubt about it, but they're seriously pushing it in terms of the money they're spending. If I recall correctly back in 1995 "Waterworld" was also hyped-up as a huge event , something exceptional with ginormous budget...and we all saw what happened.

Seeing the previews, I very excited for the movie. I like Cameron's movies generally and the story seems very epic and cool.

Until I saw some of these recent previews, I would've said without question that Revenge of the Fallen should be a lock for the VFX oscars this year (even though I have absolutely no faith in the academy), but now, I think that probably Avatar will win them. Obviously, I haven't seen the movie, so I could be totally wrong, but this kind of movie (and given Cameron's previous success with academy awards) is exactly the type of stuff the academy goes for. And the stuff does look impressive.

It really is a shame in some sense; the first Transformers movie got completely robbed. Seriously, The Golden Fucking Compass?!

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Cameron's got it in the bag because he is Cameron.

And also because the Oscars make the Olympics look like a pristine font of legitimate activity...
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Fuego View Post
    Seeing the previews, I very excited for the movie. I like Cameron's movies generally and the story seems very epic and cool.

Until I saw some of these recent previews, I would've said without question that Revenge of the Fallen should be a lock for the VFX oscars this year (even though I have absolutely no faith in the academy), but now, I think that probably Avatar will win them. Obviously, I haven't seen the movie, so I could be totally wrong, but this kind of movie (and given Cameron's previous success with academy awards) is exactly the type of stuff the academy goes for. And the stuff does look impressive.

It really is a shame in some sense; the first Transformers movie got completely robbed. Seriously, The Golden Fucking Compass?!

Ed Fuego
    Shame indeed, as this time around there are two heavyweights in that dept.

But ultimately, it's why they have no bearing on any of this. Personally speaking, getting a VFX Oscar would seem like getting an award from your English teacher for something you did in metal shop. That's pure opinion on my part, as I'm sure they have the best of the best of the best (with honors) on the Academy's VFX board.... [/sarcasm]

In the meantime, here is the extended TV Spot.

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post
    Shame indeed, as this time around there are two heavyweights in that dept.

But ultimately, it's why they have no bearing on any of this. Personally speaking, getting a VFX Oscar would seem like getting an award from your English teacher for something you did in metal shop.

Totally agree. I'm not even certain what the point of the awards show is, besides an evening of watching people you don't know dress up, pat each other on the back and then cry onstage while we as an audience are supposed to care. For three, arse-numbingly hours.

Still, I'd say Cameron's got it in the bag.

To me this all looks impressive until we linger on shots of the blue aliens. They look abit under detailed, and out of place, like a Pixar/Dreamworks character interacting with realistic environments. I'm sure the story will be enjoyable, but to my untrained eyes this film is far from the visual leap, many made out it was.

Quote Originally Posted by fu2kimus_prime View Post
    To me this all looks impressive until we linger on shots of the blue aliens. They look abit under detailed, and out of place, like a Pixar/Dreamworks character interacting with realistic environments. I'm sure the story will be enjoyable, but to my untrained eyes this film is far from the visual leap, many made out it was.
    Watch it in 3D when it comes out. you will change your mind.

i thought the movie was going to suck.. until i just saw the trailer for it
    looks damn good i thought it was going to be like the cartoon
    Optimus Prime. Never disappoints... Unlike YOU, Starscream!

I might be setting myself up to be disappointed here, but I'm pretty sure Avatar is gonna be great. This is James Cameron we are talking about here. This guy knows how to tell a story. 3d effects or no 3d effects, it's story and character that come first and James Cameron knows a thing two about both.

The fact that he's also technically very astute is what makes him a hero of mine.
    When Michael Bay starts writing his own scripts, I'll put him up there with Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by Hautori View Post
    I might be setting myself up to be disappointed here, but I'm pretty sure Avatar is gonna be great. This is James Cameron we are talking about here. This guy knows how to tell a story. 3d effects or no 3d effects, it's story and character that come first and James Cameron knows a thing two about both.

The fact that he's also technically very astute is what makes him a hero of mine.
    When Michael Bay starts writing his own scripts, I'll put him up there with Cameron.
    Very true. Hes a man that creates his own story, script, characters as well as direct a movie. Makes him much more unique than most directors out there.

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

I think the visuels will be good, but thats it. Here's a poll I started yesterday on YouThink:

http://www.youthink.com/questions.cfm?obj_id=544085

Quote Originally Posted by Bot of Badassness View Post
    I think the visuels will be good, but thats it.

"Avatar" will be a good Sci-Fi action film and that'll be enough for me. But outside the visual effects, I don't expect something groundbreaking.
    Last edited by Bayhem; 11-16-2009 at 02:43 PM.

I made Titanic because I wanted to dive to a shipwreck, not because I particularly wanted to make the movie

James Cameron November 12 -2009

:lol

Quote Originally Posted by fu2kimus_prime View Post
    Again, I put my faith in ye, o' James Cameron. This is guy known to get a bit
    obsessive over his films, sometimes to arguably psychotic levels. If it doesn't look proper now, he'll make damn sure it looks great come release day.

Besides, I've a feeling they pushed out those images for the trailer, rushed it
    but they're still rendering to proper quality and detail as we speak.

That and the 3d factor. It's gonna look a whole helluva lot better once seen
    the way Cameron's intended it to be seen. One film I won't wait for the DVD for, cause it's meant to be seen in a cinema.

Human Hardware Featurette

AMP Suits, ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by Hautori View Post
    Again, I put my faith in ye, o' James Cameron. This is guy known to get a bit obsessive over his films, sometimes to arguably psychotic levels. If it doesn't look proper now, he'll make damn sure it looks great come release day.
    I heard the guy's got a really short temper. Not sure if I'd wanna work with him, I don't wanna risk having my head bitten off.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    I heard the guy's got a really short temper. Not sure if I'd wanna work with him, I don't wanna risk having my head bitten off.
    True. I'd thought about it, and I also wasn't too certain whether I'd want to work
    with someone who, rumour has it, dangled an executive over a tank with a 55 ft drop. I mean, you gotta have 2nd thoughts on that.

But then you see the guys resume and you'd have to be nuts not want to work with him
    if given the opportunity. I mean, if only as an education. I can't really think of anyone, bar Scorcese and Spielberg maybe,
    who's got such a thorough appreciation and understanding of filmmaking. You'd learn a shitload. But be prepared to get crapped on in a big way, especially should you screw up.
    Last edited by Hautori; 11-21-2009 at 04:42 AM.

Permission to bump?
    "Science fiction isn't about spaceships, laser-fights, and explosions, Sci-Fi is about placing humanity in extreme positions and examining their reactions and our morality, as well as postulating on our future development as a species and as individuals."

Smile Re: Avatar by Cameron?

Quote Originally Posted by Jammed9000 View Post
    Permission to bump?
    Of course, but if you're gonna bump, bump with style.

60 Minutes Segment on Avatar/Cameron.

*nice Avatar, btw.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/157...wn-to-the-wire

Producer John Landau told The Wall Street Journal on Thursday that production crews are working around the clock to finish up basic elements from color and sound mixing to more complicated visual effects shots on the 30 minutes of the film that remain incomplete. These last minute fixes are understandably driving the film's cost up somewhat with the budget looking likely to climb over the $300 million mark.
    Looks like the production value alone is set to rise about $50 million, I do hope they get back what they put into it, they spent something along the lines of $550 million now on it with promotion campaigns etc.

30-second TV spot - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD8EEJepfiY

^SIMPLY AWESOME^
    "Science fiction isn't about spaceships, laser-fights, and explosions, Sci-Fi is about placing humanity in extreme positions and examining their reactions and our morality, as well as postulating on our future development as a species and as individuals."

Quote Originally Posted by Jammed9000 View Post
    30-second TV spot - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD8EEJepfiY

^SIMPLY AWESOME^

Weapon spree, Weapon spree!

Love Quaritch!