Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Avatar by Cameron

Default Re: Avatar by Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    Ya know when I took my mom and a couple of my cousins to the movie, one of them actually compared it to real historical events. In this case, how the Europeans oppressed the Native Americans. Is that a bad thing. Heck no, in fact I find it a very good thing, as the movie reflects real historical aspects of our society and is not some kinda cliche. Sure, the basic premise of Avatar is probably something we're all familiar with, and one we've seen a lot in films and literature, but that doesn't stop it from being a good one. Now add a future setting, a far away planet, Avatars, some awesome Na'Vi biological magic, Banshee's, some bitchin' RDA weapons and AMPsuits, and you got yourself one hell of a ride. In other words, ticket money well spent.
    Couldn't have put it better myself. A new experience is exactly what I look for each time I step into a dark movie theater!

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Trigger Mike, I think Big Tee is right - we can agree to disagree. The debate will get us nowhere. Fact of the matter is, all movies have their problems and it's up to the viewer to decide what to do - to nitpick these problems or accept them and enjoy the ride.

Personally, I decided to enjoy these films without overanalyzing everything and it works for me. Besides, I have more important things to worry about, especially these days.

On a side note, am I blind or the other thread ( "Revenge of the Fallen" - Top Movie of 2009 ) is gone? :wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    On a side note, am I blind or the other thread ( "Revenge of the Fallen" - Top Movie of 2009 ) is gone? :wtf
    Closed the thread because it still seems to be unclear what movie will be the biggest grossing in 2009, and the thread was going to be another Avatar thread. (Currently thread-merging function doesn't work well.) Debates can go on in this thread.

Avatar just became the Top Grossing Film of 2009 and only the 4th film to pass the $1 billion mark.

Wow!

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Congratulations to James Cameron and crew - http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

I need to correct myself. Avatar is, in fact, the 5th film to cross the $1 billion mark. It's the 4th highest grosser of all time.

Cameron is about to have the top two grossing movies of all time.

Box Office Mojo (Please note the year next to Avatar.)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Mike View Post
    Avatar just became the Top Grossing Film of 2009 and only the 4th film to pass the $1 billion mark.

Wow!
    H-h-h-h-h-h-h-how did it get there that fast?!!! Because like only yesterday I saw it between the $800-900 million range. Delayed updating on Box Office Mojo's part?

H-h-h-h-h-h-h-how did it get there that fast?!!! Because like only yesterday I saw it between the $800-900 million range. Delayed updating on Box Office Mojo's part?
    Now I know. There's been an estimated HUGE jump in ticket sales this weekend: http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...&id=avatar.htm

Seems like everybody wanted to go to the movies this weekend.

Now I know. There's been an estimated HUGE jump in ticket sales this weekend: http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...&id=avatar.htm

Seems like everybody wanted to go to the movies this weekend.
    Whatever the case, congratulations to James Cameron and crew for making one of the highest grossing films of all time!

(sorry for the triple post, lol)

Damn it really is doing phenomenal. At this rate it could bypass Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak87 View Post
    Damn it really is doing phenomenal. At this rate it could bypass Titanic.
    If ANY movie beats Titanic it'll be a huge achievement. That movie's been king of the box office for 12 years now. Its reign is gonna end sometime.

Right now Avatar's on it's way to beat Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and very likely will beat Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, which will put it at the number two spot. I'm not sure at this point if it'll beat Titanic, but who knows at this point.

Nice, two James Cameron films as the #1 and #2 highest grossing films.

Nice, two James Cameron films as the #1 and #2 highest grossing films.
    Two original, written-for-the-screen, non-franchise (so far) movies at that.

Note to Hollywood: Audiences want original movies.

Quote Originally Posted by redqueenar View Post
    Two things to remember here, people. 1, we're talking about total dollars, not indivudal number of tickets sold and 2, 3D glasses cost extra, IMAX viewing costs extra, and 3D IMAX costs extra-extra!

Avatar is "whipping" RotF because the tickets to see it cost a bit more.
    disgusting, I know.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Mike View Post
    Two original, written-for-the-screen, non-franchise (so far) movies at that.

Note to Hollywood: Audiences want original movies.

From your mouth to all the ears... inlcuding the WME agents and my agent.

Can you believe that Avatar scored over 1 billion ww box office in just 17 days? That's jus roughly 3 weeks damn!
    Besides, Avatar will beat Dead Man's Chest and Return of the King in no time, and it's definitely possible to beat Titanic.
    After 12 years James-King of the world-Cameron is owning the world again.
    We're a young species. We have much to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by transfrominside View Post
    After 12 years James-King of the world-Cameron is owning the world again.
    Because he dared to dream about something different. To make this film required company's taking a gamble and investing a lot more money then they ought too. And as we all know most wouldn't risk that gamble, but it is a big step in the right direction. Price tickets inflation is helping this reach it's Titantic goal faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone from IMDB
    Why does Will Smith always play a black man?

My Blu-ray collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Do View Post
    Heheheheheh...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Do View Post
    Zowie, that's what I was thinking when I was watching the film... and those fabulous tails!

Okay, clearing the mind and back to regular programming.

Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

Quote Originally Posted by Xsubs View Post
    Sorry Bay, i like your movies, but there are much better directors out there.
    michael bay is my favorite movie director. that's why my favorite cameron movie is true lies, it's got the same tone as bad boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Beej View Post
    Zowie, that's what I was thinking when I was watching the film... and those fabulous tails!

Okay, clearing the mind and back to regular programming.
    Them tails ARE fabulous! Do want =D (Yeah Trail I jacked your saying)
    Mean, Green Sexy DEATH Machine!

Okay... I really like RoTF, but it is far from superior to Avatar. TF1 was better than #2. But Avatar is a whole different film. But from a storytelling aspect and writing quality, Avatar was definitely more engaging.

If they did away with the sexual jokes so often in TF2 I would have even higher marks for it, but it wasn't the type of film where that was deemed necessary as much as I LOVE LOVE comedy.

Oh come on both James Cameron and Mikey rock! they new how to make some original movies and even great sequels but TF 2 was a big disappointment for me since it failed to live up to the awesome original, GI Joe i thought was much better then TF 2.

Afterall Cameron and Mike do have similar movies such as Pearl Harbor and Titanic but i still think Titanic is the better made out of the two, and that was a 90's classic dudes and dudettes. I can't wait for the future of James Cameron such as him doing Battle Angel Alita and a couple of segments for the upcoming multi-animated Heavy Metal movie.

But the only director comparable to Cameron is basically Peter Jackson. And who else thought Zoe's alien chick character is smokin' hot? i mean nothing beats alien beauties from space no matter what they look like not even cat-like Nightcrawler-lookalike smurf people.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    TF 2 was a big disappointment for me since it failed to live up to the awesome original, GI Joe i thought was much better then TF 2.
    G.I. Joe was without a doubt the cheesiest movie of 2009, bad CGI, bad actors/actresses (except Joseph Gordon-Levitt) and a bad director (imo).

And who else thought Zoe's alien chick character is smokin' hot? i mean nothing beats alien beauties from space no matter what they look like not even cat-like Nightcrawler-lookalike smurf people.
    I prefer the real Zoe.