Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 672

Thread: Avatar by Cameron

  1. #126
    Senior Member Trailbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    11,114

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    You mean you didn't like "the greatest movie of all time"?


    lol, to this very day I still don't know why it was such a massive success. The audience reaction is actually quite mixed to this very day. In fact, it only holds a 7.3/10 on IMDb. (and for sh*ts and giggles I'll throw in ROTF, which holds 6.2/10 there too, that's a 1.1 star difference!)

    2 Reasons Why Titanic was such a success:
    -It's James Cameron!
    -The Ship is the Titanic! We all know what that is!

    Now here's a movie I would totally see, a love story that takes place on a ship, except, this ship would be the RMS Lusitania! That ship also sank, but not because of an iceberg, it was torpedoed by a German U-Boat, killing 1,198 of the 1,959 people on board. It was also one of the events that eventually lead to World War I. Now wouldn't that be an interesting story? I sure think so, but too bad it's not the Titanic, because how many people have heard of the Lusitania?

    But please keep in mind that this will not prevent me from seeing Avatar.

  2. #127
    Senior Member Xsubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    783

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    You mean you didn't like "the greatest movie of all time"?



    Highest grossing film of all time.

    Greatest film of all time is still 'Citizen Kane'

  3. #128
    Senior Member Xsubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    783

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    lol, to this very day I still don't know why it was such a massive success. The audience reaction is actually quite mixed to this very day. In fact, it only holds a 7.3/10 on IMDb. (and for sh*ts and giggles I'll throw in ROTF, which holds 6.2/10 there too, that's a 1.1 star difference!)

    2 Reasons Why Titanic was such a success:
    -It's James Cameron!
    -The Ship is the Titanic! We all know what that is!

    Now here's a movie I would totally see, a love story that takes place on a ship, except, this ship would be the RMS Lusitania! That ship also sank, but not because of an iceberg, it was torpedoed by a German U-Boat, killing 1,198 of the 1,959 people on board. It was also one of the events that eventually lead to World War I. Now wouldn't that be an interesting story? I sure think so, but too bad it's not the Titanic, because how many people have heard of the Lusitania?

    But please keep in mind that this will not prevent me from seeing Avatar.
    Titanic was a film aimed at people who are interested in romance/Drama. Not people who are into explosions. Obviously Titanic had shown that there were many audiences out there who love this sort of stuff. I personally didn't like Titanic because Im more of an Action/sci fi movie geek. But that doesn't mean the movie is horrible to everyone else. You making the assumption that the movie was a success due to it being a James Cameron film is somewhat Bias and unjustifiable.

    Rotten tomatoes:
    Critics: 82% with a certified fresh rating.
    RT community (general audience): 81%
    Last edited by Xsubs; 10-25-2009 at 05:50 PM.

  4. #129
    Senior Member Trailbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    11,114

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xsubs View Post
    You making the assumption that the movie was a success due to it being a James Cameron film is somewhat Bias and unjustifiable.
    I can justify that. Look at the new Avatar trailer. They practically listed Cameron's entire filmography in the trailer. Obviously they're marketing it by using James Cameron and his previous works, not the movie itself. Now I can't remember if his name was actually in that trailer or not, but you can tell their intention is to get people to say to their buddies:

    "Hey Bob, wanna go see Avatar?"
    "Uhhh that movie there with the blue people?"
    "Yeah!"
    "I dunno Fred."
    "C'mon! It's by the guy who did Aliens and Terminator!"
    "Well you had me there! This outta be really good!"

    If you want my opinion, listing all of Cameron's previous works in that trailer seemed like a very desperate move to me, a response to the very mixed reaction to the first trailer.

    What they should have done was offer free screenings of that awesome 15 minute preview in all theaters, not just IMAX. Because not everyone, including myself can catch an IMAX in their area.

  5. #130
    Senior Member razgriz21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    444

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    You mean you didn't like "the greatest movie of all time"?

    It was over hyped in my opinion and I'm not really much into cliche romance or romance in general (except the Sam and Mikaela relationship in Transformers 1 and 2).

    Granted, the set design, costume, cinematography, casting, and FX were great, but the plot to Titanic was standard romance novel fluff.

    I hope Cameron has gone back to his Terminator and Aliens roots (Yes, I'm a fan of Michael Biehn).

  6. #131

  7. #132
    Senior Member r-type's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,578

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    Thx for the heads up, Mf!

  8. #133
    Senior Member alexsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Asturias, Spain
    Posts
    997

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    Cameron, I'm in!

  9. #134
    Senior Member Mindfreak87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    If you thought the new trailer was wicked you have to watch the featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geNv6FUK0HU

    New scenes, it really is a visual masterpiece, as for the story it is rather boring if you ask me.

  10. #135
    Senior Member r-type's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,578

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak87 View Post
    If you thought the new trailer was wicked you have to watch the featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geNv6FUK0HU

    New scenes, it really is a visual masterpiece, as for the story it is rather boring if you ask me.
    2 for 2 Mf, thank you!

    Although, spoilers abound in this featurette, for those that wish not to know.

  11. #136
    Senior Member Mindfreak87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    For anyone with a PS3 / XBOX you can download the trailer encodes here:
    (watch them on the console via streaming, usb stick etc)

    480p - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EZKYF78Z
    720p - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EJAYVQVV
    1080p - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HMFKOFFD

    And you can download the featurette here (note: downloaded from the YouTube servers):

    http://rapidshare.com/files/29983416...Featurette.mp4
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J97B6AZ2

  12. #137
    Senior Member Trailbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    11,114

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    I just totally saw Avatar action figures in the toy section at my Target yesterday. Seriously.

  13. #138
    Senior Member Mr.Gabba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    382

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    Avatar just looks boring to me. Nothing in it tells me that I need to watch this movie. Hell, the trailer told me WAY more than I wanted to know, and now I feel like I know the whole movie or that it was spoiled for me.

    And I worked in a movie theater when Titanic was out, and droves of teenage girls kept coming back to see this movie for months. My wife has told me that she saw it 7 times. It's ok, I just like the sinking part.
    Driller-bot is thirsty.

  14. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,713

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    i think they are going to ruin it

  15. #140
    Senior Member Michael Do's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    1,553

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    the soundtrack from the beginning is from The Island i think
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone from IMDB
    Why does Will Smith always play a black man?

    My Blu-ray collection.

  16. #141
    Senior Member Burnflare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    My House... DUH!
    Posts
    637

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    Looks epic. I'll be seeing this one for sure.
    Zombies.

  17. #142
    Administrator nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,869

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    lol, to this very day I still don't know why it was such a massive success. The audience reaction is actually quite mixed to this very day. In fact, it only holds a 7.3/10 on IMDb. (and for sh*ts and giggles I'll throw in ROTF, which holds 6.2/10 there too, that's a 1.1 star difference!)

    2 Reasons Why Titanic was such a success:
    -It's James Cameron!
    -The Ship is the Titanic! We all know what that is!

    Now here's a movie I would totally see, a love story that takes place on a ship, except, this ship would be the RMS Lusitania! That ship also sank, but not because of an iceberg, it was torpedoed by a German U-Boat, killing 1,198 of the 1,959 people on board. It was also one of the events that eventually lead to World War I. Now wouldn't that be an interesting story? I sure think so, but too bad it's not the Titanic, because how many people have heard of the Lusitania?

    But please keep in mind that this will not prevent me from seeing Avatar.
    Actually, Titanic made lots of money because of one MAIN factor:

    Little girls watching it 20x to see Leo DiCaprio.

    The Titanic was the marketing factor. This could have been a movie about the Lusitania and it still would've made the amount of money it did.

  18. #143
    Senior Member Mindfreak87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    TV Spot with some new footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxuNtDhCZZI

  19. #144
    Drake
    Guest

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    I actually really enjoyed Titanic, with Leo being a minor distraction. I tend to like a lot of what Cameron does, but I don't think Avatar will be a movie that I want to see. The trailer looked godawful.

  20. #145
    Senior Member Bayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.
    Posts
    2,262

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak87 View Post
    TV Spot with some new footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxuNtDhCZZI

    "The Greatest Adventure of All Time"

    I'm not so sure about that...

  21. #146
    Senior Member Bot Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northern California.
    Posts
    3,113

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    I actually liked Titanic, too. Just a couple minor quibbles: The love story was a little syrupy for my taste, but I tend to dislike "chick flick" type stuff anyway; and, with all the wonderful real stories of love lost on that ship , did they feel the need to bring in another one?
    Bot Girl
    ~~Age and treachery beats youth and skill every time!
    ~~You say "Nerd," I say "Intellectual Badass!"!

  22. #147
    Senior Member r-type's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,578

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    "The Greatest? Adventure of All Time"

    I'm not so sure about that...
    They need to chill with that kind of hyperbole. That's up to me (read: the audience) to decide.

  23. #148
    Senior Member Trailbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    11,114

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    "The Greatest Adventure of All Time"

    I'm not so sure about that...
    Then about a year later some other guy will use the same exact phrase for their movie.

    "THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST ADVENTURE IN ALL OF THE HISTORY OF MANKIND, EVAAAARR!!!!!!!!!!!"

  24. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,713

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    "The LAMEST adventure of all the f*cked up time we live in"

  25. #150
    Senior Member r-type's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,578

    Default Re: Avatar by Cameron?

    NY Times article on the marketing, budgetary concerns, and various companies involved.

    Link




    *Although I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the last part of the article. (re: 20th Century Fox's "secret weapon")

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •