Thread: How to get the attention of large Distribution Companies?

Default How to get the attention of large Distribution Companies?

I am a film maker/actor but I have had a hard time getting some of the larger distribution companies to even give you a time of day. It's also hard to even get some of the middle men to get on your side also.

Other than the use of a big name, or a deep pocket funder is there any special way to get the attention of other larger companies if you have produced a film outside of their system?

Good films help, but with such a focus on films being a better investment than the stock market how can I as a 22 year old start on the road to get my projects recognized?

Thanks,
    Scooter B.
    The only thing worse than stupid people are stupid people who bother me...
    Bumblebee1983:
    I'm da bomb.
    xXRavenXx:
    I'm Da Bomb... you can be my igniter though **Humms Light My Fire by The Doors** lol
    Bumblebee1983:
    As for being your igniter.....umm.....okay.
    xXRavenXx:
    **Thrilled with BB Raven sings afternoon delight from Anchorman**

Quote Originally Posted by xXRavenXx View Post
    I am a film maker/actor but I have had a hard time getting some of the larger distribution companies to even give you a time of day. It's also hard to even get some of the middle men to get on your side also.

Other than the use of a big name, or a deep pocket funder is there any special way to get the attention of other larger companies if you have produced a film outside of their system?

Good films help, but with such a focus on films being a better investment than the stock market how can I as a 22 year old start on the road to get my projects recognized?

Thanks,
    Scooter B.
    you know, wouldn't even call double posting if you posted this in the Ask Michael Bay forum, but I am not a moderator so just ignore me.

... you didn't see anything....
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

This is not about a filmaker, but i think the example would work in the same way.

This is about an amateour comic writer/drawer in spain who wanted to get the atention of large distribution companies.

He started to send his work, and they rejected it. He continued sending it, and then continued rejecting. After more than one hundred works send and rejected in the company decided to publish one short story in the back of an X-Men (well.. i'm not sure if it was x-men, but it won't matter) book.

People liked that short story so they published another, and people liked it.

Now he is one of the most important comic writers in this country.

So this is what i could say, persist. Try it again and again sending things. If you are lucky some day you'll be advicing this to an anonymous young filmaker in your own forums.

Film festivals...
    Shoot for the impossible...
    ...Then do it.

"It's not easy being a Michael Bay fan. In contemporary society you could be an overweight, disabled, lesbian, African-American Jew who smokes, and still you wouldn't be as discriminated against as much as someone who positively adores Armageddon."

www.jesterpictures.com www.jarek.com

Default Re: How to get the attention of large Distribution Companies?

I'm not one to weigh into these thisgs early but I've made three posts just to bump the actual "film making" threads up from the I love [blank] movie threads and I'm just keeping it going.

Firstly you need to have a completed project. And it has to be good.

Secondly you need to go to where the distributors are buying, which can often be film festivals. Don't limit yourself to the US.

(You could also pick yourself up a sales agent to sell your product for you.)

Lastly, start small. What is wrong with a small distributor? After going with a small distributor you won't be a 22 year old wannabe, but a 23 year old with a distributed film. Large companies look for that.

And Raven, pink is not your colour at all! (Sorry, that was a bit rude, but a black shirt on a grey background makes for a lovely headshot. I just think that the pink kind of overwhelms you. Your FACE should be the overwhelming thing. Okay, I go to bed now....)

Post Re: How to get the attention of large Distribution Companies?

Why not go independant, thats what Ive been thinking everyone needs, I mean we have the internet why doesnt everyone link up to form a independant company with help from people all around the globe and whoever contributes gets a percentage of the profits signed by contract, some acclaimed computer games were made this way. Sometimes I feel the days of hollywood controlling the masses is on the decline , its still way up there now. Afterwards technology is going to be better / people will be copying more and more and anyone with some technical know how would be able to finally create top notch quality film with little money. Hollywood are going to have to standardise some new medium for film, such as 3d.

Quote Originally Posted by autobot2007 View Post
    people will be copying more and more and anyone with some technical know how would be able to finally create top notch quality film with little money
    Well, it depends on how many things do you want to blow up

Banned

just focus on making the films you like... even if they are small budget or whatever. i don't give a shit what others think of my movies... i make them for myself. it's the love of the art that counts.
    but if you really want to know, film festivals are the only place for small guys like us.

Lightbulb Re: How to get the attention of large Distribution Companies?

Bumping up, and BeetleJuice is right - do the movies you like for the fun of it etc.

Most studio movies are run as companies producing a product, for better or for worse, pretty much on the same line that the road project outside my house cost 100 million (the sign says so - tax dollars at work!) and it was all infrastructure and a little bit of art.

A fully CG movie probably could be done like a computer game, everyone being given a bit of footage to work on. I guess the problem comes if you have differences in skill and time comittment to a job. A top-notch compositor with big shake/flame equipment can only spare an hour a week, while the kid with a P3 and a Photoshop 5.5 rotoscoping can spare 100 hours - both turn in work of different grade. Who should get paid more? I guess it would work best if everyone was of a similar skill level.

The hardest bit in live action is footage aquiring. Someone has to get everyone together and film the bloody thing! So that will be the sticking point in a global network of film makers.

(I blew up a Zeppelin. It cost me nothing! Thanks Avid! And Google! And Adobe!)