Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why So Many Concept Cars

Default Why So Many Concept Cars

I've always been a big fan of GM and the Camaro in particular, and I've been drooling over the new Camaro since before the first TF movie was announced. It was the coolest thing that my favorite Autobot would end up being my favorite car. I used to own a yellow '77 camaro just like the one Bumblebee starts TF1 as (and I've been wishing I still did for the last two years). And I'm planning on snagging one of the new ones if Chevy ever actually sells one.

But one thing is starting to bug me about this. When I was a kid, part of the allure of Transformers was that nearly all of them were based on real-world vehicles. It was exciting to look at every VW Bug, Toyota Van, 280 Z, Army Jeep, and flat-nosed semi, and wonder if it might be a "robot in disguise". Sure, common sense told you they couldn't be, but how could you really be sure?

But now that it seems like TF2's autobot lineup is made up almost entirely by imaginary/prototype vehicles, a lot of that mystique is gone. Unless there is some sort of conversion kit, we will never see a Camaro on the street like the one in the first TF movie. GM has refined it and it is subtly, but perceptibly different now. For all practical purposes, that car doesn't exist. They have already changed the design of the Volt since principle photography, so that car now only exists as a prototype.

The original series of TF toys sort of took the same course. Eventually imaginary vehicles like Hot Rod and Kup started to get introduced and consequently I lost a lot of interest.

Am I the only one just a little bothered by this trend?

Default Re: Why So Many Concept Cars

Quote Originally Posted by samson7point1 View Post
    I've always been a big fan of GM and the Camaro in particular, and I've been drooling over the new Camaro since before the first TF movie was announced. It was the coolest thing that my favorite Autobot would end up being my favorite car. I used to own a yellow '77 camaro just like the one Bumblebee starts TF1 as (and I've been wishing I still did for the last two years). And I'm planning on snagging one of the new ones if Chevy ever actually sells one.

But one thing is starting to bug me about this. When I was a kid, part of the allure of Transformers was that nearly all of them were based on real-world vehicles. It was exciting to look at every VW Bug, Toyota Van, 280 Z, Army Jeep, and flat-nosed semi, and wonder if it might be a "robot in disguise". Sure, common sense told you they couldn't be, but how could you really be sure?

But now that it seems like TF2's autobot lineup is made up almost entirely by imaginary/prototype vehicles, a lot of that mystique is gone. Unless there is some sort of conversion kit, we will never see a Camaro on the street like the one in the first TF movie. GM has refined it and it is subtly, but perceptibly different now. For all practical purposes, that car doesn't exist. They have already changed the design of the Volt since principle photography, so that car now only exists as a prototype.

The original series of TF toys sort of took the same course. Eventually imaginary vehicles like Hot Rod and Kup started to get introduced and consequently I lost a lot of interest.

....I think you're the only one.......

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by samson7point1 View Post

well, you make a good point....

what i think they are doing is just.....showing off some really nice (fake) vehicles...

i mean, they are nice...but you are right when you say it doesn't seem as much "in disguise" to us because technically they are all cars that would pop out to us because we havn't seen them before....so if we did see them we would see them diferently, therefore they aren't really hiding from us....

but it is a fiction movie...at least they look good!...:lol

Quote Originally Posted by littleman794 View Post
    well, you make a good point....

what i think they are doing is just.....showing off some really nice (fake) vehicles...

i mean, they are nice...but you are right when you say it doesn't seem as much "in disguise" to us because technically they are all cars that would pop out to us because we havn't seen them before....so if we did see them we would see them diferently, therefore they aren't really hiding from us....

but it is a fiction movie...at least they look good!...:lol

They may be the only ones of their type on the road, but they are technically still in disguise. Nobody's gonna look at the Chevy Volt and go "hey, that must be a robot, becuase i've never seen a Volt before":lol

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    They may be the only ones of their type on the road, but they are technically still in disguise. Nobody's gonna look at the Chevy Volt and go "hey, that must be a robot, becuase i've never seen a Volt before":lol
    You never know. I watched a lady at a bus stop on Monday punching herself in the face and screaming "GET OUT, GET OUT!" I bet she would think the Volt is a robot. Of course, she also probably thinks 2+2=yellow
    "...take it away but I want more and more, one day I'm gonna lose the war."
    www.myspace.com/tremorjames

Quote Originally Posted by Firefrost View Post
    You never know. I watched a lady at a bus stop on Monday punching herself in the face and screaming "GET OUT, GET OUT!" I bet she would think the Volt is a robot. Of course, she also probably thinks 2+2=yellow
    That lady might know the Jolt is Volt. No the Volt is Jolt...
    I sure wouldnīt think the Volt was Jolt or any other robot in disguise, but then again I donīt scream at random people on the bus either. Does that make me sane?

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
    That lady might know the Jolt is Volt. No the Volt is Jolt...
    I sure wouldnīt think the Volt was Jolt or any other robot in disguise, but then again I donīt scream at random people on the bus either. Does that make me sane?
    Nope, you're here aren't cha?

Nope, you're here aren't cha?
    Thatīs what I thought. Noone in my family knows. I sneak in here while my girl takes showers or go shopping. Shh... Prolly not sane no...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    ya never know!! I've seen a group of cars drive by all looking cool with tinted windows....kuda sworn they were autobots....especially how there were two trucks and cars...lolz:lol

It's called "OMFG-those-cars-are-so-cool-but-I can't-get-one-because-they-are-not-for-sale-yet-so-I-will-just-go-ahead-and-buy-a-GM-vehicle-anyway-so-I-can-trade-that-in-for-the-more-kickass-one-when-it-finally-comes-out" product placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    It's called "OMFG-those-cars-are-so-cool-but-I can't-get-one-because-they-are-not-for-sale-yet-so-I-will-just-go-ahead-and-buy-a-GM-vehicle-anyway-so-I-can-trade-that-in-for-the-more-kickass-one-when-it-finally-comes-out" product placement.
    That's a very wise observation and quite a mouthful.

Banned

Originally Posted by Firefrost
    No!!!!!!!!! you are veeeryy wrong!!! it is obvious that 2+2=homosexual green batlike cows!!:lol:lol:lol

Quote Originally Posted by littleman794 View Post
    No!!!!!!!!! you are veeeryy wrong!!! it is obvious that 2+2=homosexual green batlike cows!!:lol:lol:lol:lol
    Ah Ha! I knew there was something wrong with the pudding

GM canīt snare me anyway. I use the filthy metro. Iīm still hoping it might someday transform as well... Into a clean metro.

Banned

i concur

That's a very wise observation and quite a mouthful.
    And super hard to type with all of those dashes.

Banned

Ah Ha! I knew there was something wrong with the pudding
    obviously, it was tapioca

Whatīs this thread about again? :wtf

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
    Whatīs this thread about again? :wtf
    homosexual tapioca flavored green colored batlike creatures!!

They should have a TF of this car, it's made of wood

In a crash though instead of bent metal you have to be worried about being skewered by wooden splinters.

Banned

wow!!! did you know that that car existed but now it is in ashes!!1

thats right, it was traveling so fast the engine caught the car on fire..!!!!

the transformer would be good....but then axecon prime would slice him up

Banned

In a crash though instead of bent metal you have to be worried about being skewered by wooden splinters.
    btw, how do you put pics in this ...or ur signature??

place [img] and [/img] on both sides of the link to the picture.

Also, images in sigs are not allowed on these forums.

place [img] and [/img] on both sides of the link to the picture.

Also, images in sigs are not allowed on these forums.
    Yeah, that