Thread: Oscar nominations

Default Oscar nominations

- Complete list of 81st annual Academy Award nominations announced Thursday:

1. Best Picture: " The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ," "Frost/Nixon," "Milk," " The Reader ," " Slumdog Millionaire ."

2. Actor: Richard Jenkins , "The Visitor"; Frank Langella , "Frost/Nixon"; Sean Penn, "Milk"; Brad Pitt , "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; Mickey Rourke , " The Wrestler ."

3. Actress: Anne Hathaway, "Rachel Getting Married"; Angelina Jolie , " Changeling "; Melissa Leo , " Frozen River "; Meryl Streep, "Doubt"; Kate Winslet , "The Reader."

4. Supporting Actor: Josh Brolin , "Milk"; Robert Downey Jr ., " Tropic Thunder "; Philip Seymour Hoffman , "Doubt"; Heath Ledger , " The Dark Knight "; Michael Shannon , " Revolutionary Road ."

5. Supporting Actress: Amy Adams , "Doubt"; Penelope Cruz , " Vicky Cristina Barcelona "; Viola Davis , "Doubt"; Taraji P. Henson , "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; Marisa Tomei , "The Wrestler."

6. Director: David Fincher , "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; Ron Howard, "Frost/Nixon"; Gus Van Sant , "Milk"; Stephen Daldry , "The Reader"; Danny Boyle , "Slumdog Millionaire."

7. Foreign Film : "The Baader Meinhof Complex," Germany; "The Class," France; "Departures," Japan; "Revanche," Austria; " Waltz With Bashir ," Israel.

8. Adapted Screenplay : Eric Roth and Robin Swicord , "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; John Patrick Shanley , "Doubt"; Peter Morgan , "Frost/Nixon"; David Hare, "The Reader"; Simon Beaufoy , "Slumdog Millionaire."

9. Original Screenplay: Courtney Hunt, "Frozen River"; Mike Leigh , "Happy-Go-Lucky"; Martin McDonagh , "In Bruges"; Dustin Lance Black, "Milk"; Andrew Stanton , Jim Reardon and Pete Docter, "WALL-E."

10. Animated Feature Film : "Bolt"; " Kung Fu Panda "; "WALL-E."

11. Art Direction: "Changeling," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "The Duchess," "Revolutionary Road."

12. Cinematography : "Changeling," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "The Reader," "Slumdog Millionaire."

13. Sound Mixing: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "Slumdog Millionaire," "WALL-E," "Wanted."

14. Sound Editing: "The Dark Knight," "Iron Man," "Slumdog Millionaire," "WALL-E," "Wanted."

15. Original Score: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," Alexandre Desplat ; "Defiance," James Newton Howard ; "Milk," Danny Elfman ; "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman ; "WALL-E," Thomas Newman .

16. Original Song: "Down to Earth" from "WALL-E," Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman; " Jai Ho " from "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman and Gulzar; "O Saya" from "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman and Maya Arulpragasam.

17. Costume: "Australia," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Duchess," "Milk," "Revolutionary Road."

18. Documentary Feature: "The Betrayal (Nerakhoon)," " Encounters at the End of the World ," "The Garden," "Man on Wire," " Trouble the Water ."

19. Documentary ( short subject ): "The Conscience of Nhem En," "The Final Inch," "Smile Pinki," "The Witness From the Balcony of Room 306."

20. Film Editing: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "Frost/Nixon," "Milk," "Slumdog Millionaire."

21. Makeup: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "Hellboy II: The Golden Army."

22. Animated Short Film: "La Maison en Petits Cubes," "Lavatory Lovestory," "Oktapodi," "Presto," "This Way Up."

23. Live Action Short Film: "Auf der Strecke (On the Line)," "Manon on the Asphalt," "New Boy," "The Pig," "Spielzeugland (Toyland)."

24. Visual Effects: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," " Iron Man ."

Default Re: Oscar nominations

Yes! Departures is on the list! *pumps a fist*

I've never heard of half that stuff. I live in a cave of coolness.
    Wall-E better get animated, that movie was so cute I almost puked.
    Ledger will probably get, or would have probably gotten best supporting actor because he totally deserved it.
    The rest, meh.
    "...take it away but I want more and more, one day I'm gonna lose the war."
    www.myspace.com/tremorjames

Thank god the overhyped Dark Knight wasn't nominated for Best picture.
    Not that I care for Oscar winners at all (still love to watch the show), but at least they have that right.
    And while Wall-E was good and all, it also was overrated as hell. But the best of the nominated of course.

I hope Mickey Rourke gets the Best Actor trophy

Wow, couple of surprises in there, but otherwise predictable.

After all of that hoopla the Academy made the composers of TDK go through, they didn't even get a nod for it?

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post

After all of that hoopla the Academy made the composers of TDK go through, they didn't even get a nod for it?
    Yea, Downey I saw coming, but I would hope the academy wouldn't honor Hoffman for Doubt over Ledger... that would be a huge mistake.
    The only thing worse than stupid people are stupid people who bother me...
    Bumblebee1983:
    I'm da bomb.
    xXRavenXx:
    I'm Da Bomb... you can be my igniter though **Humms Light My Fire by The Doors** lol
    Bumblebee1983:
    As for being your igniter.....umm.....okay.
    xXRavenXx:
    **Thrilled with BB Raven sings afternoon delight from Anchorman**

Moderator / formerly "Gunrock" The Great's Avatar

I was going to say i don't think button should have been in there but, as i reflected on the movie as a whole and not for it's separate entities.

WALL-E might get more than Best Animated Feature.

Frozen River was actually filmed and takes place in my region.
    Last edited by Trailbreaker; 01-22-2009 at 05:29 PM.

the wrestler was really good...and I hate wressling. oh and for animated wall-e was great,well at least my nephew thought so...I personally thought it had some adult content,not really meant for young kids. but he loved it.
    "Autobots, let's go dismantle us some decepticons; So transform and roll out!"
    http://www.myspace.com/raddimus33

Good year box office wise for the oscar nominated films. Im a little disapointed that Revolutionary Road is not getting that much attention I though that movie was fantastic. Also disapointing the attention the Reader is getting but thats more Weinstiens fault. You do after all need money to market a film. But overall should be a great ceremony this year some awesome films up there.

Quote Originally Posted by raddimus View Post
    the wrestler was really good...and I hate wressling. oh and for animated wall-e was great,well at least my nephew thought so...I personally thought it had some adult content,not really meant for young kids. but he loved it.
    What!?!

I would hate for me, or any kids I may have in the future, to watch what you considered meant for young audience. That's about as dumbed down and safe as I would like any feature to be.

oh, and I'm pulling for Wall-e and Hellboy II. I feel both movies pushed techniques in there own areas
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post
    "In Bruges" ????? (emperor...no clothes)

I hope Rourke gets the award. He has been a freaking solid actor his entire life and has gotten little respect from his peers.

I'd personally have given him one for Angel Heart.

Quote Originally Posted by uraydo View Post
    What!?!

I would hate for me, or any kids I may have in the future, to watch what you considered meant for young audience. That's about as dumbed down and safe as I would like any feature to be.
    I'm with Uryado on this one. No where did I see any adult content, otherwise it wouldn't have been rated G now, would it? Ohhh, Wall-E [SPOILER] getting crushed [SPOILER] is too much for the kids?

Oh, and as far as being overrated, I seriously disagree. I think Wall-E is one of the most intelligent films I have seen in years, the fact that it's animated and it's for a young audience is out of the question. This movie deserves a lot.