Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Michael Bay's directing works...

Default Re: Why Michael Bay's directing works...

I'll be blunt, if I could make millions of dollars in profit by producing a few remakes of some cheap horror movies that weren't that good to begin with I'd do it.

As we say in England it's a nice Brucie bonus.

And I'd do it even more if it pissed off a group of people calling themselves the Horrordrunx....but that's just me.

This is officially the lamest debate ever on michaelbay.com
    I've always defended Michael Bay against attacks that his films are full of stupid explosions, girls in underwear and mindless characters... but then he made Transformers 2 and I conceded...

Quote Originally Posted by kevski View Post
    This is officially the lamest debate ever on michaelbay.com
    Indeed, if not slightly amusing to see people so worked up over something so trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by Horrorgasm View Post
    In Kate's defense, someone here compared The Horror Drunx to the Ku Klux Klan in another folder.
    Yeah that was me, and that was only meant to be a tease, no harm was meant to be done. But it was in response to what we perceived as a threat:

Quote Originally Posted by Horrorgasm
    They already dislike Michael Bay enough that they have him listed in their Pumpkin Kickers Hall Of Shame (http://thehorrordrunx.yuku.com/topic/501), so you really don't want to get their attention. They are responsible for one TV show being cancelled before it began and making a couple studios have to answer publically to them on some other issues. They have also been known to swarm to the point that a few websites have had to shut down for a week or longer to try and remedy the situation.

I don't view movies as art or treat them as such. I watch movies to enjoy them. That to me is their purpose. To quote from William Friedkin - "Directors dont make movies to be hung in The Louvre, they make them to watched by audiences in cinemas" The enjoyment is for different reasons on different levels. I enjoyed Transformers for very different to reasons to why I enjoyed Usual Suspects.

Re: the remakes. I think the point is that Bay is not directing them. He is listed as the producer as its his company thats producing them If you didn't enjoy the movies, blame the director.

If you want what you call a higher class of film, go and watch them or better yet, make one yourself. Not sure why you think you have the right to tell others what they should and shouldn't be enjoying. I severely doubt Bay has any intention of justifying himself to an anonymous name on a forum.

Has it ever occured to you that the easiest thing is to just not watch movies you don't enjoy? I don't want all movies to be like Bays but I don't want character studies of the human condition all the time either.
    Last edited by Grazer; 01-20-2009 at 08:28 AM.
    "To the Believer, no proof is necessary...To the non-Believer, no proof is possible."

Wow, they blow my mind! The best bunch of virgins ever!
    I've always defended Michael Bay against attacks that his films are full of stupid explosions, girls in underwear and mindless characters... but then he made Transformers 2 and I conceded...

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbay View Post
    Who is KATEVONSPOOKY?

You need to stand corrected - Actually I was accepted into USC. I chose Art Center College of Design.

I'm curious - what movies have you made?
    you know mike i'd like to know that answer too... what movie have they
    made. can they make kick ass movies like you done oh say like transformers bad boys 1 &2 kevski is right this is lame, it's calling out one of the best directors and say your an amature
    Optimus Prime. Never disappoints... Unlike YOU, Starscream!

It's like they view movies as sacred relics that were never meant to be duplicated. If you don't like it, stop wasting your time protesting against it. Why don't you take your website, your oh so amazing club of Drunx and convert it into a humanitarian organization to help fight poverty or AIDS instead of wasting your energy complaining about a fucking reel of film.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    It's like they view movies as sacred relics that were never meant to be duplicated. If you don't like it, stop wasting your time protesting against it. Why don't you take your website, your oh so amazing club of Drunx and convert it into a humanitarian organization to help fight poverty or AIDS instead of wasting your energy complaining about a fucking reel of film.
    Well said sir **standing ovation**
    "To the Believer, no proof is necessary...To the non-Believer, no proof is possible."

This current bashing of Bay is a consequence of him producing remakes of horror movies?

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

Every movie, every book, every play, every poem, every opera, on some level, is a remake because there simply aren't that many different themes that one could create a work of art about.

So don't give me this bullshit about "X is blatant remake of Y". Because Y, in reality, is a remake of Z.

Regardless, something as silly as this argument is no reason to resort to insulting personal attacks against Bay (or anyone) on website dedicated to the APPRECIATION of Bay.

You want to bash Bay (or anyone). That's fine. Do it on your own website.

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

To Katevonspooky,

This will be the last time I will respond to your lame questions. It's not even worth a conversation - because you have all of your facts, dead wrong. That is the danger of this entire internet community -people believe if you read it on the internet - it true. Our society has fallen for gossip to be the purveyor of truth. That is you Katevonspooky, you have read up well on internet fodder.:deadhorse1:

Quote Originally Posted by katevonspooky View Post

INTERPRETATION: You are such a softie in your approach. You do know it is bad when you are hearing this from a girl, right?

Appeasement is not an option for us. And what "hard work" have to put into fighting the good fight like the HD does on a daily basis? You only really care about a Transformers movie.It's all about you. We are talking about the bigger picture here. Can you grasp that simple concept without bloviating all over yourself?

Now...Let's move away from the sheep and go straight to the sheep herder himself.

I still invite Michael to address my John Frankenheimer questions.

The non-buying public needs answers.

Kate Von Spooky,
    Chapter leader, Rhode Island Horror Drunx
    http://www.myspace.com/oceanstatehorrordrunx
    In a world full of fear mongering, violence, and all around badness, I take being called a softy as a complement. makes me feel like Gondi.

and I'm curious about what Hard work you do? Public Drukenness? I mean, that's what I get form your myspace page.

And it is True that I am excited about TF2 (although, I don't like a lot of what I hear), but I have interest in other films and other media.

Look, I'm sure you came on this forum with the best of intentions, but the road to Hell is paved on the best of intentions. The only thing you will accomplish by speeking down to people like you do, is to make us think you are some creepy internet chick. And you know that's bad when it comes form some sex starved college student.

Quote Originally Posted by Horrorgasm View Post
    THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (Producer)
    TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (Producer)
    FRIDAY THE 13TH (PRODUCER)
    A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (PRODUCER)
    THE HITCHER (PRODUCER)
    THE BIRDS (ANNOUNCED IN DEVELOPMENT)
    ROSEMARY'S BABY (ANNOUNCED IN DEVELOPMENT)

Wait, and apologies if I'm misunderstandng here, but you pass yourself off as a film student and film maker and didn't know those were remakes?!! I could completely rest my case on that alone. If I'm correct, please change careers immediately.

THE ISLAND was actually more of a blatant rip-off of LOGAN'S RUN (with a wee bit of Blade Runner) than a remake. Again, unoriginal and derivative. Had I been George Clayton Johnson (the writer of Logan's Run), I'd have filed a lawsuit... Just like when Harlan Ellison sued (and won) the case against James Cameron for blatantly stealing THE TERMINATOR.

Shall I continue?

Not only is it now appearing on his IMDB page, it has appeared printed several other places in the past.

True artists only answer to their own tastes...Then if it finds an audience, all the better. Bay's "Art by the yard" approach is done to pander to the masses and though it takes some skill it is still souless and done only for profit, not any true artistic desire. Art By The Yard BTW are paintings done assembly line fashion. is mass produced, and is most often seen hanging on the walls of cheap motels. While I have nothing against paint-by-numbers kits, if I PAY to enter a museum I expect to see something more original. ...Not a remake.

Though film is a collaborative effort, if someone takes possession of it as "A MICHAEL BAY PRODUCTION" or "A MICHAEL BAY FILM" they take it upon themselves to answer to the entire sh-bang.

One, I am not a film student. I am a sequential art student. I am sorry if I made you think otherwise. Two, The Island was a blatant rip off of Parts: A Clonus Horror, which was so bad, it was featured on MST3K. That's why it was a bad movie.

Also, all those movies you listed, bay has only touched as a producer. which I think are bad movies, not because they are remakes, but because they are horror. To me a horror movie is at the bottom of the quality totum. There is no real entertainment in it. To me, horror just sucks. So yeah, I'm not even going to try to defend those movies.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

Banned

To Katevonspooky,

This will be the last time I will respond to your lame questions. It's not even worth a conversation - because you have all of your facts, dead wrong. That is the danger of this entire internet community -people believe if you read it on the internet - it true. Our society has fallen for gossip to be the purveyor of truth. That is you Katevonspooky, you have read up well on internet fodder.:deadhorse1:
    Lmao!! You shouldnt have responded to him at all.

Banned

To Katevonspooky,

Kate's questions are valid..

Here is a question Mr. Bay, Why all the remakes, are you saying there are no new scripts being submitted ? I call Bullshit on that !

Rosemary's Baby ?? The Birds ?? WHY ?!?

Going to give Polanski and Hitchcock a "reboot" huh ??

Why would you take credit in the Friday the 13th Trailer for TCM "FROM THE PEOPLE WHO BROUGHT YOU TEXAS CHAINSAW" are you trying to make people forget the original work ?

You are a pumpkin kicker of the lowest sort.

My Name is Gary-O and I am a Horror Drunx

Who is KATEVONSPOOKY?

You need to stand corrected - Actually I was accepted into USC. I chose Art Center College of Design.

I'm curious - what movies have you made?
    KATEVONSPOOKY is from an organization who has individuals that have threaten to hack, attack, and close this forum if you continue to remake horror films.

Quote Originally Posted by garyo View Post

Here is a question Mr. Bay, Why all the remakes, are you saying there are no new scripts being submitted ? I call Bullshit on that !

Why would you take credit in the Friday the 13th Trailer for TCM "FROM THE PEOPLE WHO BROUGHT YOU TEXAS CHAINSAW" are you trying to make people forget the original work ?

They're not remaking Rosemary's Baby. It's been confirmed that's the case.
    Platinum Dunes did the remake of the Texas Chainsaw. Many people enjoyed it. Its the same company that did the Friday 13th movie. What would you expect them to put??
    Your name is Gary-O and you're simply arrogant to think you can tell people what they should be doing and stupid enough to think people will pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by garyo View Post

Actually you and Katevonspooky are banned, not for asking questions that could be asked with civility but because of rudeness, insulting, lack of class, and trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    KATEVONSPOOKY is from an organization who has individuals that have threaten to hack, attack, and close this forum if you continue to remake horror films.
    If by organization you mean three eunuchs, a MySpace page, and their "onslaught"? Then yes that would be the case.