Thread: Is there a Lawyer in the house

Default Is there a Lawyer in the house

I had my car towed last weekend and because I didn't have a car it was towed a second time before I retrieved my things.

my car was towed twice and was at two locations and had $200 worth of tools stolen from it.

every one has told me it is usually the tow truck driver and I know the first tow truck driver had a small child with him (potentially a witness)

Why does no one (including my insurence company) care and what can I do to make them car?

also both lots it was at were under surveillance.

What rights do I have?
    What actions can I take?
    Can I go all Punisher on these Fools?
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

Default Re: Is there a Lawyer in the house

Quote Originally Posted by uraydo View Post
    Can I go all Punisher on these Fools?
    The 360' Chandelier move? I don't think you've got the stones.

Seriously though: You are S.O.L. unless you take/perhaps even threaten to take legal action (small claims) and have the proof to back it up. Paper trail of the tool purchases, file a report, etc. The surveillance video isn't gonna get handed over until they are forced to (which would be in court).

Also depending on your Ins. Company and policy, they also like to drag their feet the less concrete the incident is. No police report, no vandalism to the car, items not physically bolted down, etc., is gonna make it real tough for them to be an advocate for you especially the more cut-rate the insurance company is. Go over your policy to see what kind of recourse you have with regards to your coverage when dealing with theft of loose items.

Lesson learned Ury, If you can't clean out your car on the spot, make sure you ride with the guy to where ever the car is being towed to (which by law you also have the right to dictate, btw, unless it's being towed because of a violation) if you need to clean out your car. That disclaimer of "not responsible for lost or stolen items" isn't there for your protection, it's to cover their ass in situations like this.

I use to deal with wrecker drivers and their respective shops on a daily basis. While alot of them are stand-up guys/gals, their industry can and does have its share of crooks and not-so-reputable shops.

I hate to sound like a pessimist, but you're gonna have to weigh the pros and cons of fighting for $200 worth of tools versus the time it's gonna take to recoup them.

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post
    The 360' Chandelier move? I don't think you've got the stones.

Seriously though: You are S.O.L. unless you take/perhaps even threaten to take legal action (small claims) and have the proof to back it up. Paper trail of the tool purchases, file a report, etc. The surveillance video isn't gonna get handed over until they are forced to (which would be in court).

Also depending on your Ins. Company and policy, they also like to drag their feet the less concrete the incident is. No police report, no vandalism to the car, items not physically bolted down, etc., is gonna make it real tough for them to be an advocate for you especially the more cut-rate the insurance company is. Go over your policy to see what kind of recourse you have with regards to your coverage when dealing with theft of loose items.

Lesson learned Ury, If you can't clean out your car on the spot, make sure you ride with the guy to where ever the car is being towed to (which by law you also have the right to dictate, btw, unless it's being towed because of a violation) if you need to clean out your car. That disclaimer of "not responsible for lost or stolen items" isn't there for your protection, it's to cover their ass in situations like this.

I use to deal with wrecker drivers and their respective shops on a daily basis. While alot of them are stand-up guys/gals, their industry can and does have its share of crooks and not-so-reputable shops.

I hate to sound like a pessimist, but you're gonna have to weigh the pros and cons of fighting for $200 worth of tools versus the time it's gonna take to recoup them.
    I have already filed a police report and am in the process of finding the two drivers. also the driver that towed my car initally didn't seem to want to give me a ride and the cop was quick to. I feel like everyone set me up to fall on this one. Even the insurence moved my car before I could get to it. I intend on looking for a new insurer after this.

Also, do I have the right to strip my vehicle before they take it. things such as rims and seats and other things?

I have already filed a police report and am in the process of finding the two drivers. also the driver that towed my car initally didn't seem to want to give me a ride and the cop was quick to. I feel like everyone set me up to fall on this one. Even the insurence moved my car before I could get to it. I intend on looking for a new insurer after this.

Also, do I have the right to strip my vehicle before they take it. things such as rims and seats and other things?

The cops can strip, tear, rip destroy ANYTHING with probable cause. Impound the car, inventory it, and all round f*** your day up. Why was it town in the first place?

And as far as your rights it's going to be your word vs the word of the tow truck driver's/cop. Sad but yea tis kinda true.
    The only thing worse than stupid people are stupid people who bother me...
    Bumblebee1983:
    I'm da bomb.
    xXRavenXx:
    I'm Da Bomb... you can be my igniter though **Humms Light My Fire by The Doors** lol
    Bumblebee1983:
    As for being your igniter.....umm.....okay.
    xXRavenXx:
    **Thrilled with BB Raven sings afternoon delight from Anchorman**

Quote Originally Posted by xXRavenXx View Post
    . Why was it town in the first place?
    I don't know why I didn't mention this in my first post, but my car was towed because it ran over the curb. it ended up totaling my car.

That's really why I'm so angry. the reason my tools were stolen, was because of the actions taken by my insurance company. And I'll be damned if I ever let them tow my car to a lot again.

Sorry to hear about your troubles dude...........but the cops won't give a shit about any theft under $1000.

If you want the po-po to do anything about it, or your insurance company....

.....mention the 10 karat diamond ring you left in the ash tray.......the nike golf clubs, your 10 thousand dollar car stereo.........etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by guitarded View Post
    Sorry to hear about your troubles dude...........but the cops won't give a shit about any theft under $1000.

If you want the po-po to do anything about it, or your insurance company....

.....mention the 10 karat diamond ring you left in the ash tray.......the nike golf clubs, your 10 thousand dollar car stereo.........etc.....
    :lol
    Optimus Prime. Never disappoints... Unlike YOU, Starscream!

if you wasn't park in a handy cap parking space or parked illegally
    they can't tow your car

Quote Originally Posted by megatron42 View Post
    :lol
    congratulations. you're on my shit list.

if you wasn't park in a handy cap parking space or parked illegally
    they can't tow your car
    I freaking totaled my car. What was I suppose to do. leave it in the middle of the street?

Where are those TBS "Life Lessons" when you need them?....

I hope you weren't hurt in the accident! That would make things worse

I rolled an 85 Honda Accord when I was 21 (worst $1400 I ever spent)...anywho....Tow truck driver originally wanted $700 to flip the car back onto its wheels.....after a sob story about not having any money.....price went down to $400........
    the next day, I went and gathered a few personal belongings, and gave them the ownership to the car.............biggest mistake of my life was telling the insurance company that I rolled the car.............

Quote Originally Posted by guitarded View Post
    Where are those TBS "Life Lessons" when you need them?....

I hope you weren't hurt in the accident! That would make things worse

I rolled an 85 Honda Accord when I was 21 (worst $1400 I ever spent)...anywho....Tow truck driver originally wanted $700 to flip the car back onto its wheels.....after a sob story about not having any money.....price went down to $400........
    the next day, I went and gathered a few personal belongings, and gave them the ownership to the car.............biggest mistake of my life was telling the insurance company that I rolled the car.............
    why was that? if they had an agent look at it, they would have been able to tell.

congratulations. you're on my shit list.

I freaking totaled my car. What was I suppose to do. leave it in the middle of the street?
    what did you do to total it

what did you do to total it
    i hit the curb.

why was that? if they had an agent look at it, they would have been able to tell.
    Depending on the damage and guitarded keeping quiet instead of saying he rolled it, not always the case.

If your car is more than a decade old, they usually send their total loss adjuster over. Plus when it's that old, replacing a door can total a car. There are also fluke ones, like when an airbag deploys when one of the sensors is hit in an accident. Air bags are usually checkmate for an older car because they are so $$$.

The word "total" alot of times seems to be associated with the absolute worst that can happen to a car, but really, simply means when the $$ to fix/replace affected area/parts exceeds value of vehicle. Which more often than not are the majority of totals. They'll write it off, cut you a check for the worth of the car, move it to one of their lots, auction it off, where it's bought for parts or to get repaired by some shady outfit (with cheap parts) to be resold here or in mexico.

Can you guess which one isn't a total loss:

Depending on the damage and guitarded keeping quiet instead of saying he rolled it, not always the case.

If your car is more than a decade old, they usually send their total loss adjuster over. Plus when it's that old, replacing a door can total a car. There are also fluke ones, like when an airbag deploys when one of the sensors is hit in an accident. Air bags are usually checkmate for an older car because they are so $$$.

The word "total" alot of times seems to be associated with the absolute worst that can happen to a car, but really, simply means when the $$ to fix/replace affected area/parts exceeds value of vehicle. Which more often than not are the majority of totals. They'll write it off, cut you a check for the worth of the car, move it to one of their lots, auction it off, where it's bought for parts or to get repaired by some shady outfit (with cheap parts) to be resold here or in mexico.

Yellow corvette?

The only two useful things I know on point is that if your car is about to be towed, get in it and "never admit fault". Thanks Dad.
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

Sounds like you know your stuff... why yes you do... and we know why. Solid as usual.

AR: My guess is the last one which seems to be the only car that didn't take it to the frame and looks to be the newer... can't tell which is the cheaper to keep her... but I don't know enough about cars -- just to hand over money to the mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Beej View Post
    Sounds like you know your stuff... why yes you do... and we know why. Solid as usual.

AR: My guess is the last one which seems to be the only car that didn't take it to the frame and looks to be the newer... can't tell which is the cheaper to keep her... but I don't know enough about cars -- just to hand over money to the mechanic.
    The more I look at it, the more I think it's the silver Porsche in the center.... hmmm....

Edit: Nah, gotta be the Corvette.
    Last edited by redqueenar; 10-31-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redqueenar View Post
    The more I look at it, the more I think it's the silver Porsche in the center.... hmmm....

Edit: Nah, gotta be the Corvette.
    Corvette is too old. If it was recked today, it would be a total. My car was a 99 and it looked a hell of a lot better than any of these cars after the wreck.

Does this require me to use my brain for math? Because if it is I'm lost on this one.

total loss..my first guess would be all three of them.
    The vette is last gens model so per what your rules state it most likley is a total loss.

the Porsche well being a higher end car most insurance companies here will total it out for the owner and they get something newer...or about the same

the Honda..would be my only guess to not being a total loss only for the fact that its a lower volume car than even the porshe. But not a high price car like one. So they might try to fix it. AND I dont see the air bags deployed..

But to me they all look like total loss cars

Quote Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot View Post
    total loss..my first guess would be all three of them.
    The vette is last gens model so per what your rules state it most likley is a total loss.

the Porsche well being a higher end car most insurance companies here will total it out for the owner and they get something newer...or about the same

the Honda..would be my only guess to not being a total loss only for the fact that its a lower volume car than even the porshe. But not a high price car like one. So they might try to fix it. AND I dont see the air bags deployed..

But to me they all look like total loss cars
    nah, i wouldnt throw a curve like that, making all 3 totals. Correct though, The s2000 was the only one of the 3 not to total out.

The Vette was cut off, spun out and clipped another car. turned the irs to mush, and cracked or shattered the all of the fiberglass in the area.

The Porsche was hit by an on coming car. aside from the obvious cosmetic damage, it mangled the aluminum frame on the right side ($$$ repair), suspension, deployed airbag, and caused the safety bars at the headrests to eject upwards.

Ths s2000 suffered only exterior damage, it was skimmed by a truck. Basically what you see. Light, hood, bumper cover, fender and liner.

But to bring it back, its not hard to imagine Ury's car totaling out by simply jumping a curb.

I kinda figured it would be the S2000.

nah, i wouldnt throw a curve like that, making all 3 totals. Correct though, The s2000 was the only one of the 3 not to total out.

The Vette was cut off, spun out and clipped another car. turned the irs to mush, and cracked or shattered the all of the fiberglass in the area.

The Porsche was hit by an on coming car. aside from the obvious cosmetic damage, it mangled the aluminum frame on the right side ($$$ repair), suspension, deployed airbag, and caused the safety bars at the headrests to eject upwards.

Ths s2000 suffered only exterior damage, it was skimmed by a truck. Basically what you see. Light, hood, bumper cover, fender and liner.

But to bring it back, its not hard to imagine Ury's car totaling out by simply jumping a curb.
    Wow...the S2000 damage looked far more significant. I am so startled.

As for Ury's car...won't they 'total' if the damaged exceeds a certain percentage of the blue book value. And if he is still in Savannah...those are HUGE curbs. My father-in-law bumped one with a SUV and destroyed the rim and blew the tire. If the curb was large enough, I could imagine damage to the suspension, drive train and perhaps the engine. That or he has a really crappy insurance adjustor.

Sadly, there is a lesson for all to learn from. Never leave ANYTHING of value when someone is in your car. I had all of my cd's, tools and spre change stolen from a truck that I had repainted. The collision shop clearly made notes on the contract and had signs posted in their office "Not responsible for lost or stolen property". Bastards. Sorry Ury...I feel your pain.

And the insides of the 'vette are fiberglass, too. Rats. I really thought it was going to be a trick question.

The worst part? I failed to identify the Honda. Otherwise, I would have NEVER bet against the Honda!!

Ury...and news on the car???