Thread: Late 2008 Mac Product Updates

Default Late 2008 Mac Product Updates

Talk about a bittersweet product release today. the new designs for the laptops look great except for a few flaws.

1. Glossy only displays. - major dealbreaker- I hate em. Last thing I need is to not be able to see my laptop screen because the sun or even indoor lighting is throwing reflections all across it. Function looses over form in this decision. Might even be a real deal killer on me updating my MacBook Pro anytime in the near future. Looks like they still have the 17s old style. But i don't need a giant 17" laptop. Nor do I want to pay for one.

2. FireWire 400 Gone -
    MB Pro -Now those with FireWire drives that don't sport the FW800 port will be forced to buy new drives, loop through a FW800 drive, or buy an ExpressCard Adapter. Not a deal killer but annoying for sure. And why not two FW800 ports???

MacBook - They killed off FireWire completely!!! Not even adding FW800. What's up with that? USB 2 doesn't even come close to the performance of FW 400 let alone 800. I'm sure a handful of consumers won't notice or care. Especially those who are switching from Windows to Mac. But current Mac owners will more then likely be very very annoyed. Possible dealbreaker for many. Even more of an issue when trying to initialize Target mode. Which is useful for tech support & troubleshooting, wether the macbook is the client, or the controller. And how are consumers supposed to hook up their Camcorders and capture footage with iMovie now? Did apple forget that part?

3. DisplayPort problem. - While I'm not opposed to moving on to a new display technology, it irks me that they don't include a DVI converter adaptor. I got a VGA adaptor included when I bought my current MBPro. Now an adapter annoying extra 30 option.

The Apple gang also announced a new 24" Cinema Display conveniently overpriced at $900 bucks and only supporting the new DisplayPort connection. So those folks with pre-today Macs of any kind won't be able to plug an play with this one. Only the new laptops can. This is sure to piss off a lot of professionals with Mac Pros who have been waiting up to 2 years for new displays. And I'm sure it will piss off a hell of a lot of Laptop owners, and a few iMac owners as well.
    Odds are an adapter will pop up in the store as an extra option of course. Yuck. Then apple kicks you while your down with the once again, glossy only screen. And I've heard one comment already about the hight of the monitor being lower then the 24" iMac monitor hight. Making a dual screen configuration for your iMac a bit awkward. Maybe thats a good use for the old hardcover book you stopped reading. To boost up the monitor hight a few inches.

No updates to the 30" CinemaDisplay which is now over 4 years old I believe. Pissing off yet even more professionals.

Now that we've heard the bad news. Lets finish with the good news.

1. Better graphics all around. Nvidia came up with a great new integrated graphics chip & chipset combo. And new faster dedicated graphics. sweet.

2. New "Buttonless" Trackpad. - the new trackpad has no button. Because it IS the button. the whole thing. And loosing a separate dedicated space for a button means a larger pad for fingering. Great for the new four-finger gestures added to the trackpad language library.

3. faster processors. Faster RAM. nice. but nothing revolutionary or un-expected.

4. All screens are LED backlight. I have this on my current MBPro. And I love it. BUT my MBPro IS NOT glossy. And thats they way I prefer it thank you very much. I hate glare on my screen. Especially when I'm trying to edit my photos. "Punchier color" and "customer prefered" is a load of bullshit IMO. (Sorry but i really really hate glossy.)

5. New design. Cool. Much needed to replace the ugly plastic Macbooks shells. But not really a feature to me. I quite like my current MBP the way it is. So no compelling reason for me to drool over the new design.

Conclusion: Honestly I'm quite disappointed. Too much form over function this time around. It used to be a good balance between the two. But not this time around at least. The real insults being the lack of FireWire Completely in MacBooks and glossy-only screens all around. There is a workaround with the display using adapters. But once again, no FireWire ports and Glossy only screens. (Old Displays had both features) Not to mention the spec sheet on the new display is a bit sub par on the brightness, contrast, and response time compared to the Dell 24" which is also at least a few hundred cheaper. (Which isn't LED powered. But thats minor considering the performance difference.)

Blah.
    Last edited by ScarCrow28; 10-14-2008 at 04:46 PM.

Default Re: Late 2008 Mac Product Updates

man. seems like a one step forward two steps back kinda deal. what gives.

Damn I wrote way too much there didn't i?

Quote Originally Posted by ScarCrow28 View Post
    Damn I wrote way too much there didn't i?
    no no no. i meant the logic of apples new products

should have clarified my statement. my bad ryan.
    Last edited by r-type; 10-14-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typo

Love the new designs, very elegant. As far as the problems you mentioned above go, maybe they will fix them sometime in the future. Apple is usually good with answering customer complaints as seen with the older round of intel Macs. They were full of flaws and problems but they improved a lot over time. It's gonna take more than a lot to move this long time Mac user out of his place!

I've been reading the comments from other folks in response to the new stuff. And practically all of them are complaining about the very two things I did. Gloss and FireWire.

In the Pro graphics world. Glossy screens just are a big no no. Your cannot accurately control colors. They appear too vivid and don't match printed outputs. Only in a pure digital world will this not matter so much. Once it goes to paper, It's already a world of headache to get colors to match, no need to make it worse.

And I've seen the glossy laptop screens.... they are so annoying. Even one of the Big Wigs at MacWorld Magazine declared he will not be purchasing any of the new released products as long as they retain the glossy only screen. No matter what else has been upgraded or introduced. And I certainly fit into that category too.

I can see FireWire becoming extinct at some point. But its just too early. Apple has yet to introduce e-Sata into any products. And e-Sata is now widely available on hard drives. FW3200 was recently announced and it uses the same exact hardware as FW800. So whats wrong with putting a FW800 port on a macbook?

THere is literally no way to add FW support to the new macbooks. It's not like you can buy the ExpressCard adapter either. Macbooks don't feature that slot.

Many music pros have gear which will ONLY hook up to their systems Via FireWire. This will force many to pay extra hundreds of dollars just for a measly FW Port.

Display Port will be an annoyance at least. I am hearing It's not as Industry Standard as Apple is stating because they are using a "Mini Display Port" instead of the "normal" sized Display Port. A move that restricts product compatibility with 3rd parties. I Don't know much about Display Port so I can't say whether that is true or not. But they do have Adapters. So it can be overcome.... Not that consumers should have to.

Sorry, more wordy griping from me. I just can't figure out how their design team can justify such decisions. I hope the make corrections to at least the screen. At least FW800 is still on the Pro. But the screen.... No laptop upgrade for me. I might as well invest in a larger Hard drive on this Core 2 2.2 I got now. And hope that new software won't render it useless for a long long time.

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post
    no no no. i meant the logic of apples new products

should have clarified my statement. my bad ryan.
    Nah, I didn't say that cause of you. I said that cause realized I wrote a whole essay just on complaining about something once again. I must be in a bitter stressful mood these days. Time for a vacation. If i could only afford one.

Is firewire that much better than USB 2. I read stats on them both about a year ago and they seemed comparable. there was debate on which on is better, but I really didn't get a concise opinion.

also, I don't see many things nowadays that is firewire compatable.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

I've done my own tests.

USB2 can only sustain 15-20MBps when moving large video and photo files. FW400 will sustain 30MBps. Thats a huge time difference when moving mega large amounts of data as is common in the creative fields. FW800 Can sustain 60MBps. I haven't tested e-Sata because I don't have a computer that uses it. But I do have many LaCie External Hard Drives that support it at my work. e-Sata is supposed to kick the pants off FW800. But you have a fast enough hard drive to reap the benefits.

In Final Cut Pro, you can edit HD video using FW400. With USB2 you will get lots of dropped frames. Which is a bad thing. The Pro Audio world relies on FW400 connections because USB2 just doesn't sustain enough of a bandwidth for their equipment. Though I cannot go into detail to exactly what they need it for. I'd have to refer to an Audio Pro.

Its not so much of a deal on the consumer side. Most folks don't move large amounts of data often enough to notice or worry about the speed difference. But thats not to say that many o professional Video & Photo peeps don't buy non-pro Macbooks to do their work. At least they used to. I use FW400 & 800 extensively every day.
    Last edited by ScarCrow28; 10-14-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uraydo View Post
    Is firewire that much better than USB 2. I read stats on them both about a year ago and they seemed comparable. there was debate on which on is better, but I really didn't get a concise opinion.

also, I don't see many things nowadays that is firewire compatable.

And most of them that are are USB-U-Fire wire cables. You don't see a device that is straight up FW.
    The only thing worse than stupid people are stupid people who bother me...
    Bumblebee1983:
    I'm da bomb.
    xXRavenXx:
    I'm Da Bomb... you can be my igniter though **Humms Light My Fire by The Doors** lol
    Bumblebee1983:
    As for being your igniter.....umm.....okay.
    xXRavenXx:
    **Thrilled with BB Raven sings afternoon delight from Anchorman**