Thread: Rumored GM/Chrysler Merger

Default Rumored GM/Chrysler Merger

We started talking about this in the Hummer thread, so I thought it would make more sense to make this topic into it's own separate thread.

Discuss here.

Default Re: Rumored GM/Chrysler Merger

GM was also rumored to have talked to Ford before that.

I dunno if it was mentioned also, but they are looking at selling off the Hummer name.
    The only thing worse than stupid people are stupid people who bother me...
    Bumblebee1983:
    I'm da bomb.
    xXRavenXx:
    I'm Da Bomb... you can be my igniter though **Humms Light My Fire by The Doors** lol
    Bumblebee1983:
    As for being your igniter.....umm.....okay.
    xXRavenXx:
    **Thrilled with BB Raven sings afternoon delight from Anchorman**

We were just talking about that in the Hummer thread.

I dunno who would buy it right now. I mean if you look at it logically, Hummer has the odds stacked against it. A vehicle that is synonymous with gas guzzling - cool and luxurious as it may be, the brand almost takes pride in its inefficient fuel economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapple View Post
    I dunno who would buy it right now. I mean if you look at it logically, Hummer has the odds stacked against it. A vehicle that is synonymous with gas guzzling - cool and luxurious as it may be, the brand almost takes pride in its inefficient fuel economy.
    why? because people wanted them..now that we can't afford a gallon of gas all of a sudden they are "gas guzzlers" In reality most of the larger SUV's get around the same MPG as hummer. Problem is Hummer is singles out for what it is and actually is very low on the sales volume compared to other trucks that get that or worse MPG.
    Heck look at the green flag of Toyota..guess how many low MPG SUV's they make that is on par with Hummer and sell way more in one 1/4 of sales than Hummer does in a whole year..:deadhorse1:

and onto the merger..they are all talking and meeting and seeing where things go..it might be a merger it may be a sharing of platforms it may be for one thing..it could be nothing but to raise stocks..

Chrysler does not have much to offer only volume..they have an 11% share in national volume that would bump GM's share back up to 35%. in this economy that would be huge. Problem is overlap..the big ticket is Jeep..If GM merged with Chrysler Jeep would be the diamond in the muck..
    Putting the Hummer back in with its lost relative Jeep would be the first order..consolidating both brands to one great off road brand..
    Dodge has the best selling minivan..where GM really has none..another great piece that would help GM..the rest of Chrysler and Dodge there is not much to offer that GM does not already have that is a better product.
    The only thing is GM would get the Ram truck..that might be a great hit or a huge miss..the LX platform is in need of a change and at this time where would it go? Chrysler/Buick.

just to much crossover to make it worth the time..though stranger things have happened?

One thing is for sure, UAW will not stand for the merger: http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...er-merger.html

Well the unions gotta wake up...it is either lose a few jobs with a merger and head forward or one or both of the companies go under..and you lose not only jobs but whole towns go under.
    the problem is the UAW is being more of a burden than a help in todays auto making market. Comments like this and others he has said will just put themselves right out of a job.

It looks like Nissan is also courting Chrysler. As a Metro-Detroiter...I really hope is goes to Nissan rather than GM. A GM/Chrysler merger would destroy our local economy.

Nissan GT-R...meet your new step-brother...Viper! Imagine the possibilities.

just a short thought..IF Nissan gets Chrysler..and GM goes under. Forget about your local economy. It would be 3 times worse if GM goes under for not just local but national. So think about that. A GM Chrysler merger is the less of both evils.

Right now it looks like Dodge trucks might be given to Nissan if the deal goes with GM and Chrysler.

and the GTR..that thing is the ultimate FAIL by Nissan..and I wont get into that either but lets just say if the GTR was 1/2 what the Viper is. Then it would be a real supercar. Here is a hint. Actual owners of the GTR are calling for Nissans head over what they have been given.

and the other thing is the Viper is dead soon.

I have never even seen a Viper in real life.

people in MI don't want it to happen
    Optimus Prime. Never disappoints... Unlike YOU, Starscream!

Quote Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot View Post
    just a short thought..IF Nissan gets Chrysler..and GM goes under. Forget about your local economy. It would be 3 times worse if GM goes under for not just local but national. So think about that. A GM Chrysler merger is the less of both evils.

Right now it looks like Dodge trucks might be given to Nissan if the deal goes with GM and Chrysler.

and the GTR..that thing is the ultimate FAIL by Nissan..and I wont get into that either but lets just say if the GTR was 1/2 what the Viper is. Then it would be a real supercar. Here is a hint. Actual owners of the GTR are calling for Nissans head over what they have been given.

and the other thing is the Viper is dead soon.
    Dude...you don't realize just how much damage this merger will to the state of Michigan. Our government is already bridging for massive unemployment requests. We already lead the nation in unemployment. Our economy is in rough shape. We have been battling a recesion for the last 4 years.

I pray this GM/Chrysler merger does not take place. I would rather see each company sell individual components. GM placed AC Delco on the blocks today, Hummer is already being shopped.

Both companies, especially GM, have improved on their products. This has nothing to do with the quality of their products. They need cash.

Ask anyone living here...a merger is just as bad as one of them going out of business. That is exactly why the State of Michigan is closely involved in the negotation talks.