Thread: High School Math

Thumbs down High School Math

*WARNING: CONTAINS RANTING*

Exponents, Absolute Value, Quadratic Equations, Inequalities containing absolute value, Linear Inequalities, Quadratic Inequalities, Operations with Radicals, and now "imaginary numbers"? :wtf Seriously, does anybody here understand any of this stuff? I just got my inequalities test back and I'll just say that it was not good, near failing as a matter in fact. I used to be great in math back in Junior High, but now it's become one of those subjects that really brings that average down. The stuff we have to learn is unbearably difficult and down right confusing, and the littlest of mistakes can throw an entire problem off. And all of this is for a big regents exam in June, which mandated by the state, so all of this is required.

So I need to ask some of our older members here, when you were in high school, was math such a daunting subject like it is now?

Cool Re: High School Math

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post

Exponents, Absolute Value, Quadratic Equations, Inequalities containing absolute value, Linear Inequalities, Quadratic Inequalities, Operations with Radicals, and now "imaginary numbers"? :wtf Seriously, does anybody here understand any of this stuff? I just got my inequalities test back and I'll just say that it was not good, near failing as a matter in fact. I used to be great in math back in Junior High, but now it's become one of those subjects that really brings that average down. The stuff we have to learn is unbearably difficult and down right confusing, and the littlest of mistakes can throw an entire problem off. And all of this is for a big regents exam in June, which mandated by the state, so all of this is required.

So I need to ask some of our older members here, when you were in high school, was math such a daunting subject like it is now?
    Nah, what grade are u in? And yeah I vaguely remember a lot of that stuff from high school over a decade ago...don't ask me for any help on it now, though...lol
    "Megatron, requesting permission to teleport"

Default Re: High School Math

Quote Originally Posted by Skywarp View Post
    Nah, what grade are u in? And yeah I vaguely remember a lot of that stuff from high school over a decade ago...don't ask me for any help on it now, though...lol
    11th grade.

And I'm not asking anybody for help. I just feel like ranting about how evil this course is lol.

MY God, they're teaching this stuff in Seventh grade (I'm in it, which sucks) and I'm like, the only one that ever gets at least a portion of it right. I'm ocnsidered a nerd but..

But seriously, they shouldn't be teaching stuff like that here. You should feel lucky at least.
    I am the Queen of Angst...fear me.
    Of course my mind is a dark and warped place!!! Iíve spent years getting in that condition!!!

Decepticon Slickstreak
    --------------
    Height:
    18.9'
    Relatives:
    Shadowshock
    Alt-Form:
    Panavia Tornado ADV
    Weapons:
    plasma cannons, twin thermal blades, forearm blasters
    "One, two, Slicky's coming for you. Three, four, you'll get slaughtered by the door..."

I'm with ya bud. Had nightmares about my geometry teacher last night. I have a recurring nightmare about enrolling in a college algebra class, then six weeks into the semester realizing I haven't even attended one class. The good news is, eventually you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Yes, it totally was that awful and that complicated. Plus, I have Attention Deficit Disorder, which makes everything that much harder. Just don't get it into your head that you're "bad at math" because you're bad at this type of math. You'll psych yourself out. You are *not* bad at math! See if you can get a tutor or a study group to help you with the stuff because the tutor will work with you at YOUR pace. You'll find out very quickly that you're not alone.

It sucks, but that's high school for you. High school is designed with the idea that everyone should be the same all the time and people aren't like that at all. Math is cumulative (meaning you CAN'T learn the next step without learning the first step) and the schools in this country don't slow down for anyone! LAME!

Summary: Don't feel bad, you're not alone. Get a tutor.

"When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

11th grade.

And I'm not asking anybody for help. I just feel like ranting about how evil this course is lol.
    Oh. Well, good luck all the same!
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

Thanks for the advice. Now my problem is is for the subjects that I don't like, I tend to wander in lala land for. In subjects like History, I am fascinated, that's why my grades are so high in that course.

I was awesome at math, but my teachers always yelled at me and threatened to fail me because I didn't show my work. I would like to go back and do it again just so I could call my teachers Nazis.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

It depends on whom teaching you that stuffs. Like the teacher, some can really bring interest in the class while others just bores you the heck out of it.

From my experience, its always like this, it really depends on whos teaching me. Lets say in my Sophomore year, my math teacher is very cool and hes teaching style was great (not boring that kind of stuffs). And i did very well, i learn a lot. Then im in my Junior year, my math teacher is different and she (yes its a she) have different teaching style than my previous math teacher. So my performance is kinda OK but not as good as from last year. Now im in Senior year and I have different math teacher (shes french) and her teaching is very interesting and not boring. And I did really really well than my Junior year.

So in the end, it all depends on their teaching style.

Lol@uraydo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone from IMDB
    Why does Will Smith always play a black man?

My Blu-ray collection.

Hmm...

Seriously?

I ain't got a freakin clue what I did in school.

Sorry bud, it definately sounds like your maths lessons are much tougher than the ones I had.

11th grade.

Cool we're the same grade porbably I'll understand. Just give me an example. If it's 3-d graphing, I'm your girl.
    Softball is life.

Sorry. Not there yet.

Sorry. Not there yet.
    well, if you get around there and quite don't get the whole 3-d stuff come to me.
    Softball is life.

So what are you taking exactly; Trigonometry, algebra or what. Is this mandatory?

Back in my day I took General math one year and then Geometry the next mainly cuz I spent so much time in the JROTC.

I understand all that stuff

I'm studying Phisics at university and i have these things every day (and some theoretical and higher grade maths).

When i was in pre-universitary school, at 16-18 (don't know wich is the USA equivalent) we alredy have all the imaginary numbres, linear systems of equations, matrices, derivation, integration...