Thread: Bay has come a long way

Default Bay has come a long way

You know, its kind of funny when you look back at Bad Boys compared to now. It was a movie that was made for only $9 million. Bay had to fork out his own money of $30,000 to pay for a scene he wanted. And he had to use his own Porsche for Will Smith's character to drive.

And now fast forward 14 years later. He's got his own jet, drives a Ferrari, and can get $240 million (Transformers 2) films greenlit.

That in itself is inspiration. In my opinion, he holds the title of greatest visionary director in the action genre. A title that was once held by John Woo, in my opinion.
    Transformers 4 Movie Updates on Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/TheRaginNation

Default Re: Bay has come a long way

Quote Originally Posted by darthrage View Post
    You know, its kind of funny when you look back at Bad Boys compared to now. It was a movie that was made for only $9 million. Bay had to fork out his own money of $30,000 to pay for a scene he wanted. And he had to use his own Porsche for Will Smith's character to drive.

And now fast forward 14 years later. He's got his own jet, drives a Ferrari, and can get $240 million (Transformers 2) films greenlit.

That in itself is inspiration. In my opinion, he holds the title of greatest visionary director in the action genre. A title that was once held by John Woo, in my opinion.
    The money and the stuff is neat but what I think what is really tremendous is how he's become a cultural phenomenon. People satirize his work and you know it immediately. It's pretty wild. He has some of the best gifts. He's got an eye like Ridley, an ethic like Cameron and a youthful sensibility that is reminiscent of Spielberg (although I think Bay is much closer to portraying young people as they are, whereas Spielberg was always the master of childhood as it could and should be).
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

Quote Originally Posted by redqueenar View Post
    He has some of the best gifts. He's got an eye like Ridley, an ethic like Cameron and a youthful sensibility that is reminiscent of Spielberg (although I think Bay is much closer to portraying young people as they are, whereas Spielberg was always the master of childhood as it could and should be).
    Yea, i agree with this. On the comm. for 1 of his first 3 films, i THINK it was Arma., Bruckheimer says he is like Tony Scott meets Cameron. I'd agree with this, his pictures have the scale of a Cameron film, but are more aesthetically Tony Scott-ish, to me.
    My Fav Bay -
    1. The Rock
    2. Bad Boys 2
    3. Transformers
    4. Bad Boys
    5. The Island
    6. Armageddon
    7. Pearl Harbor

Quote Originally Posted by darthrage View Post

and can get $240 million (Transformers 2) films greenlit.

240 million is the budget for Transformers 2? Is this confirmed, or a guess?

I think the budget was confirmed..not sure..I forgot. But personally, I think he's got the talent of converting his visionary picture into reality on screen. He's mental picture of a certain take is tremendous and he knows what to do to make it even better. Everytime I watch a certain film he has done, I can tell right away that he did it because of his style of vision. It just blows me away and I feel like I can connect to it, because before I ever watched Bad Boys or Transformers, I had that same visionary picture, and it was not until Transformers that I actually discovered Michael Bay and realized and learned his style of film and I was shocked at how similar our style of mental picture may be...unfortunately, i dont have the money or resources haha so I say that Michael Bay is bound to be the best director out there
    (o_O)

Michael Bay is a genius. The man is the Fellini of action movies, the Scorcese of awesome. Anyone who has not seen this from the start is clearly.... Y'know. He's a genius.