Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Point About Military Accuracy

Default A Point About Military Accuracy

In TF you (Mr. Bay) went to great length to seek the military's cooperation and approval for using them in your film but the actual Air Force characters in the film (Taye Diggs and... I forget the one dude's name but the guy banging Fergie) were just... so insanely incorrect in so many scenes.

1. They're in the Air Force so why are they wearing Army Combat Uniforms? The Air Force still uses the basic woodland and desert camo Battle Dress Uniform with black t-shirts under the blouse;
    2. Unless you're on a Special Rescue Team no Air Force personnel wear berets;
    3. Again, near the end of TF it shows Diggs and whatshisnuts wearing an Army Class A dress uniform. You might want to actually put them in the branch appropriate uniform (why not?);
    4. In that same shot whatshisnuts looks absolutely retarded because his beret flap is shooting straight out of the side of his head. Sorry, but if anyone is caught dead wearing a beret that dicked up on post they will get flat out jacked by anyone of superior of rank. This is how you wear military beret:

5. Lastly, why the hell is the Air Force sending out dismounted soldiers on combat patrols? That's not what the Air Force does, that's what the Army does.

Conclusion: Just switch them from Air Force to Army. They're already wearing everything Army and their mere existence simply doesn't jive with what the Air Force actually does.

__________________________________________________ ____

Sorry if that comes out ranty as that's not my intent with this post. I just found it amazing so that much detail and emphasis was placed on the military and their cooperation in the original film while the main character military personnel are... well, completely dicked up.

Thanks for reading this if ya do!

Default Re: A Point About Military Accuracy

It's dicked up because Lennox, Epps, and those guys are actually part of a special military organization....G.I. Joe Rejects. :lol

shows what you know about the top secret special forces outfit they are also assigned to which allows them to wear their uniforms however they want.

Just ask Harry Humphries, their military consultant.

What you also didn't realize is when the US is being attacked by Alien robots, they have a protocol which allows the Airmen to perform US Army duties which includes adjusting their berets.
    Last edited by darthrage; 09-14-2008 at 12:34 AM.
    Transformers 4 Movie Updates on Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/TheRaginNation

Ah, there was no warning in the disclaimer about sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by darthrage View Post
    What you also didn't realize is when the US is being attacked by Alien robots, they have a protocol which allows the Airmen to perform US Army duties which includes adjusting their berets.
    Page 54, Article 15 paragraph 4 b

'When under attack from a mechanoid alien all USAF personnel are requred to garb themselves in the correct attack uniforms before runing for your lives from the engagement zone.'

:lol
    Don S Davis 1942-2008

Godspeed

Quote Originally Posted by Kavadas View Post
    Ah, there was no warning in the disclaimer about sarcasm
    Guess you didn't see that one coming did you?

all of this emphasis and detail in your post and you cant even name the correct actor (Lmao Taye Diggs?)

Moral of the story: $#!+ happens, but we still got the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post
    all of this emphasis and detail in your post and you cant even name the correct actor (Lmao Taye Diggs?)
    Yeah, that's pretty bad :lol

In TF you (Mr. Bay) went to great length to seek the military's cooperation and approval for using them in your film but the actual Air Force characters in the film (Taye Diggs and... I forget the one dude's name but the guy banging Fergie) were just... so insanely incorrect in so many scenes.

1. They're in the Air Force so why are they wearing Army Combat Uniforms? The Air Force still uses the basic woodland and desert camo Battle Dress Uniform with black t-shirts under the blouse;
    3. Again, near the end of TF it shows Diggs and whatshisnuts wearing an Army Class A dress uniform. You might want to actually put them in the branch appropriate uniform (why not?);
    4. In that same shot whatshisnuts looks absolutely retarded because his beret flap is shooting straight out of the side of his head. Sorry, but if anyone is caught dead wearing a beret that dicked up on post they will get flat out jacked by anyone of superior of rank. This is how you wear military beret:

5. Lastly, why the hell is the Air Force sending out dismounted soldiers on combat patrols? That's not what the Air Force does, that's what the Army does.

Conclusion: Just switch them from Air Force to Army. They're already wearing everything Army and their mere existence simply doesn't jive with what the Air Force actually does.

Sorry if that comes out ranty as that's not my intent with this post. I just found it amazing so that much detail and emphasis was placed on the military and their cooperation in the original film while the main character military personnel are... well, completely dicked up.

Give Michael Bay a break. Its a movie! You cant expect all props to be accurate! I mean, do giant alien robots really exist? NO! Oh, so now your gonna complain how fictitious the robots are in this movie now?

Bay should have used the same USAF media people that Stargate SG-1 used. They were told by their military advisors that a script for the show was not accurate....

As, if it was real, the aliens wouldn't have been able to do what the script wanted:lol
    Don S Davis 1942-2008

Godspeed

Taye Diggs was in this movie??!!

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Taye Diggs was in this movie??!!

I think he watched the wrong movie

Maybe he saw Equilibrium

So you can't do your own recon to find out an actor's name except to note he's banging Fergie (real nice and classy there dude) but you point out military inaccuracies to Bay... big points to you.

I'm not sure if anyone brought this up, but Air Force and Navy people here on the ground where our Army Combat Uniforms. Sometimes the Air Force people where their new blue grey-ish tiger stripe pattern when on the FOB. Navy sometimes wheres the Marine Corps get-up.
    Last edited by CJP; 09-16-2008 at 12:35 PM.
    View My Latest Video/Photo Work Here!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaseyJPorterOfficial

as mentioned above airmen can and do wear army fatigues especially in places like Iraq where the air force do not have urban camo.

as for the black beret, Tactical Air Control Party (TACP). This is an airman who is assigned to army units (everything from regular army, to airborne, to rangers, to special forces like in the movie) on missions and patrols. They have been wearing the black beret far longer than the US Army.

Senior Member Morethanmeetstheeye's Avatar

I'm confused by this post, I'll be honest in saying that I didn't know/or think that the military guys (Epps, Lennox etc...) are in the ariforce. To me they looked like normal soldiers, mind you I know nothing about the military and what they wear
    Optimus Prime: "What if we leave, and your wrong?"

Just one of the few great quotes from ROTF

Banned

#1.... u sure ur talking about tf?
    #2 it's a movie...no need to be exact
    #3 they are part of NEST, for all you know that IS the uniform

Drake

1. MAJ Lennox is in the Army. They are a joint operation.
    And the USAF doesn't use woodland these days. It's a tiger-stripe ACU-looking getup.

2. Everyone wearing berets was supposed to be, so that's not inaccurate.

3. MAJ Lennox is IN THE ARMY. Epps is the ONLY USAF guy there.

Oh, and the USAF DOES do recon. I've met them before, and they are similar to forward recon units (cav scouts, if there's any military here).
    And for your beret comment, the beret is the hardest damn thing in the world to wear correctly, and showing me some picture of a garrison warrior won't convince me otherwise. I can count on my fingers how many people I have ever seen wear a beret 100% correctly.

Actually, for all of the errors in ROTF, the military part of it is virtually error-free. Thee's a few gaffes here and there, but I do think they were deliberate.

And FYI: I have been active duty Army for the last ten years.

Drake

And to verify... here is Epps wearing the current USAF uniform in ROTF:

Drake

And here's MAJ Lennox wearing the ACU.

Drake

Something else you failed to notice was that they were wearing multi-cam in the first movie. While multi-cam is not officially recognized by the Army as an acceptable uniform, SF and "etc" are allowed, simply due to its efficiency. I'd say MB should get bonus points for putting that in there, seeing as most people, the OP included, still think certain branches are wearing the old BDUs.

The military consultant for the movie said that the movie is near accurate and he doesn't expect the movie to be 100% in sync with what the military does. He said the only part that had the most inaccuracies was during the scene when Theodore Galloway pulled his chute in the C-17. But he even said that was done for the sake of comedy.
    Smokescreen: "You're our only hope Omega." Omega Supreme: "Failure: Impossible" - G1 Episode #41 "The Golden Lagoon"

Drake

Quote Originally Posted by BIG Tee View Post
    The military consultant for the movie said that the movie is near accurate and he doesn't expect the movie to be 100% in sync with what the military does. He said the only part that had the most inaccuracies was during the scene when Theodore Galloway pulled his chute in the C-17. But he even said that was done for the sake of comedy.

The funny part is, MB movies are normally very accurate in terms of military tech and customs/courtesies. I would classify any differences between MB's military and the real one to be strictly artistic preference (ie, the chute scene). It threw me off that someone would criticize this aspect.

No movie showing military, navy or airforce uniforms are allowed to be 100% accurate, this has always been the case since the first war movie back in the 1930`s or so. Thou with Michael Bay anything is possible.

Drake

Quote Originally Posted by jimboslo View Post
    No movie showing military, navy or airforce uniforms are allowed to be 100% accurate, this has always been the case since the first war movie back in the 1930`s or so. Thou with Michael Bay anything is possible.

That breaks down to a law about who is authorized to wear the uniform. MB got around it in the first one by using multicam, which IS used by SF, but not an "authorized" uniform.

In ROTF, he got around a lot of it by using real soldiers and equipment. I'll have to pay closer attention next time I watch, but MAJ Lennox seems to be pretty straight with his uniform.