Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: does anyone else feel the picture quality is a little grainy?

  1. #1
    Senior Member darthrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,044

    Default does anyone else feel the picture quality is a little grainy?

    I gotta 42" LG LCD last year.

    Anyways, so when I popped in my TF DVD, it look like alot of the night shots and sometimes indoor shots are unusually grainier than most of the other DVDs I have.

    Did they rush the transfer? Cuz it only took 3 month between its theatrical release and the DVD release.

    There's a alot of "noise" specs on the screen. Anyone else notice this?

  2. #2
    Administrator nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,869

    Default

    Maybe because a HD TV needs a movie in HD-DVD?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    southern california
    Posts
    410

    Default

    You are wrong on that Nelson, the shots are grainy, I forgot all about that.

    That is one of the biggest problems I had with Transformers.
    Alot of the night shots were very grainy in the actual film itself. No, they didn't rush the transfer as studio DVD's where out before the films release. During filming, the D.P. exposed to low and they had to pull it up in post, thats what happens when you leap frog D.P.s


    P.S. Thanks for fixing my status Nelson!!!
    Last edited by elemental fantasy; 10-17-2007 at 05:56 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member darthrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Maybe because a HD TV needs a movie in HD-DVD?

    thats probably true

    but then I was watching my Criterion DVD of The Rock and the picture quality is pretty much flawless.

    The picture quality for the for the entire Arrival of the Autobots scene has lots of noise specs.

    I'm sure the problem will be gone when I watch it on HD-DVD but for a DVD, I've seen alot of movies with pretty flawless picture in their night shots. That was something that me and my brother noticed while watching it.

    Is there a type of video cable that you can attach to your DVD player to your TV that can improve the picture quality, other than S-Video.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    southern california
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Ok dude, fuck off then. I just told you EXACTLY why there is grain in TF shots, and you completely ignore the post. Piss off, and no you cant fix the grain problem.

    I noticed the problem at every theater I went to.

    I am sorry for my anger, It might be able to be fixed, but as far as what I know, thats how the dark parts of the movie turned out. Now resume pissing off.
    Last edited by elemental fantasy; 10-17-2007 at 09:53 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member darthrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elemental fantasy View Post
    Ok dude, fuck off then. I just told you EXACTLY why there is grain in TF shots, and you completely ignore the post. Piss off, and no you cant fix the grain problem.

    I noticed the problem at every theater I went to.

    I am sorry for my anger, It might be able to be fixed, but as far as what I know, thats how the dark parts of the movie turned out. Now resume pissing off.
    Thats funny, cuz I never saw any graininess when watching it in the theater. The picture was crystal clear. It was only when i watched the DVD that the picture got downgraded. during certain night scenes.

    It was predominant the certain Pentagon control center scenes as well as scenes after the neighborhood blackout caused by Ratchet.

    And don't apologize for your anger. You obviously got issues with anger so thats a personal matter you need to do deal with on your own and I wish you luck with that. My word of advice; calm down, its just a movie.

    You should be a moderator that way you can close a thread immediately after you have responded to it with your profane responses because you're pretty much telling me to shut up after your response. I responded after your response cuz I want to hear the opinions of other forum members and you're trying to make my original question invalid......are you 15? Where your answer is the only answer and everyone else is wrong?

    And make more sense in your response because first you say it can't be fixed and then you say "maybe" it can be fixed. You lose all credibility for that. I asked a very valid question.

    PWN3D!

    Now lets stay back on topic without the use of cuss words.
    Last edited by darthrage; 10-17-2007 at 10:44 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member xAgonyxScenex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    2,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elemental fantasy View Post
    Ok dude, fuck off then. I just told you EXACTLY why there is grain in TF shots, and you completely ignore the post. Piss off, and no you cant fix the grain problem.

    I noticed the problem at every theater I went to.

    I am sorry for my anger, It might be able to be fixed, but as far as what I know, thats how the dark parts of the movie turned out. Now resume pissing off.
    wow...talk about ridiculous

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    southern california
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Yeah, but when I give you a post explaining darkness and you completely ignore it, it kinda ticks me off.

    I did give you an honest answer, it was due to underexposure during production. Your next post clearly indicated that my post didnt matter and was way off. It is a simplistic fact of under exposure.

    Workin on the anger thingy. : )

    P.S. I am insulted that you ignored my post and sided with Nelson. I still am with your responses. But dont blame you. I also say maybe it can be fixed with digital tech. Keeping an open mind. Also, dont tell me not to say sorry, in case you didnt notice, just as you didnt notice any grain during the theatrical screening, I said sorry because I know I am out of line for getting angry.


    Again, anger gets thrown on here from other things, like nelson not changing my status back when he does so for everybody else, other things, and yes X, it is ridiculous. Thats why I say sorry. Nothin against Nelson, he rocks!

    Not that anybody here cares, but my fience past away a few months ago among other things, so forgive me for misguiding anger at you darthrage. Perhaps we should change screen names. lol Overall, you did ignore my post and it ticked me off, for my response, I am sorry. My life is just rapidly fallin apart.
    Last edited by elemental fantasy; 10-18-2007 at 12:55 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Xsubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    783

    Smile

    Well i dont really care if its grainy because i like a movie with a tiny bit of grainyness ,and most movies are quite grainy in theatres anyway

  10. #10
    Senior Member brAnd7onX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    395

    Default

    when did everyone get so damn picky???? DEAL WITH IT! and for that other guy... one word... angermanagement.

  11. #11

    Default

    A lot of hostility on this forum

  12. #12
    Senior Member Tobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Calm down guys

    I just saw my HD DVD last night, and THERE IS grain on the picture, especialy the darker/night shots, but it was shot like this on purpose, there's an interview somewhere about this, I'll link it when I get some time to look it up. And yes, it did look like this in theaters. But it has nothing to do with the picture quality (which is awesome by the way), it was an artistic descision to shoot this way, nothing else.
    Last edited by Tobi; 10-18-2007 at 05:55 AM.

  13. #13
    Member Universal Kalle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Skövde, Sweden
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darthrage View Post
    Is there a type of video cable that you can attach to your DVD player to your TV that can improve the picture quality, other than S-Video.
    Reading that I assume you're using S-Video (?). From S-Video there are a lot of better cables out there. You should at least run a Scart from your dvd-player to your tv's RGB Scart input and then turn on the RGB in your player's setup. Beyond that there are component cables, DVI and HDMI. If you've got a newer player there's a big chance you've got component or HDMI output (or with an older but expensive player). But for those you also need to have the correct inputs in your TV (wich isn't always the case).
    This won't remove any grain or anything but it'll make the picture a lot clearer and with better colours. I bought a 120$ scart cable a couple of years ago and was blown away by the huge difference it made compared to a 'normal' scart.
    Your homecinema is only as good as it's weakest link

    HDMI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
    Component http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video
    SCART http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scart
    Last edited by Universal Kalle; 10-18-2007 at 08:41 AM.
    "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder but ugly is there for everyone to see", Kevin Gilbert (1966-1996)

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elemental fantasy View Post
    Yeah, but when I give you a post explaining darkness and you completely ignore it, it kinda ticks me off.

    I did give you an honest answer, it was due to underexposure during production. Your next post clearly indicated that my post didnt matter and was way off. It is a simplistic fact of under exposure.

    Workin on the anger thingy. : )

    P.S. I am insulted that you ignored my post and sided with Nelson. I still am with your responses. But dont blame you. I also say maybe it can be fixed with digital tech. Keeping an open mind. Also, dont tell me not to say sorry, in case you didnt notice, just as you didnt notice any grain during the theatrical screening, I said sorry because I know I am out of line for getting angry.


    Again, anger gets thrown on here from other things, like nelson not changing my status back when he does so for everybody else, other things, and yes X, it is ridiculous. Thats why I say sorry. Nothin against Nelson, he rocks!

    Not that anybody here cares, but my fience past away a few months ago among other things, so forgive me for misguiding anger at you darthrage. Perhaps we should change screen names. lol Overall, you did ignore my post and it ticked me off, for my response, I am sorry. My life is just rapidly fallin apart.

    He asked if anyone else felt like the picture was too grainy. It's a matter of opinion and not fact right now so calm down.

    To stay on topic, I agree with the graininess. But only on the night shots. I had read that the transfer for this DVD was almost flawless, maybe it's just my player and/or TV? I don't know, but some shots look good and others don't.

    I'm converting to HD-DVD by Christmas so I'm looking forward to watching this bad boy (no pun intended) in HD.

  15. #15

    Default

    I saw TF four times in a digital theater and once in IMAX. The grain was in every viewing. The fact that you're seeing it on DVD or HD DVD just shows how good the transfer is. If you weren't seeing grain, they'd have done some artificial softening or compressed it too much.

  16. #16

    Default

    Yep, there's film grain in the HD DVD image. Yep, it's natural. Nope, it doesn't bother me one bit

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    Calm down guys

    I just saw my HD DVD last night, and THERE IS grain on the picture, especialy the darker/night shots, but it was shot like this on purpose, there's an interview somewhere about this, I'll link it when I get some time to look it up. And yes, it did look like this in theaters. But it has nothing to do with the picture quality (which is awesome by the way), it was an artistic descision to shoot this way, nothing else.
    Yeah man, I agree with you (aside from the jaggies I saw on some edges, but that's not that bad). I don't know if it's really artistic, but the thing was shot on film people... I think Super 35 for some of it actually... Guess what that does... it adds grain. It was there in theaters as well. Now when you see compression blocks, that's something to bitch about, but not film grain.

  18. #18
    Senior Member darthrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    anyways, i'm not complaining. Its just something that I noticed. If it was shot like this on purpose, thats fine. I just wasn't sure and thats why I decided to ask.

    It doesn't make it any less of a film.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darthrage View Post
    anyways, i'm not complaining. Its just something that I noticed. If it was shot like this on purpose, thats fine. I just wasn't sure and thats why I decided to ask.

    It doesn't make it any less of a film.
    Apparently it made 300 way less of a film for some people. Holy crap you should've heard all the complaints about film grain on the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray version of that! It was disturbing...

  20. #20
    Senior Member Trigger Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Some shots are grainy, but they were shooting Kodak 5218 500T on part of the film. This is a faster stock and does have some noticeable grain.

  21. #21
    Senior Member xAgonyxScenex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    2,172

    Default

    ya i could def. notice it in the night shots

  22. #22
    Member Universal Kalle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Skövde, Sweden
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Normally I'd have a problem with grain, but since this is such a kickass movie it doesn't bother me one bit
    "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder but ugly is there for everyone to see", Kevin Gilbert (1966-1996)

  23. #23
    Senior Member Tobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    157

    Default

    If my memory serves me right, I think Bay went grain-heavy after Pearl, I remember watching the night shots in Bad Boys 2, automatically, and without knowing blamed the new DP (I'm not a fan of grain).

  24. #24
    Senior Member xXRavenXx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Shreveport, LA via Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elemental fantasy View Post
    Yeah, but when I give you a post explaining darkness and you completely ignore it, it kinda ticks me off.

    I did give you an honest answer, it was due to underexposure during production. Your next post clearly indicated that my post didnt matter and was way off. It is a simplistic fact of under exposure.

    Workin on the anger thingy. : )

    P.S. I am insulted that you ignored my post and sided with Nelson. I still am with your responses. But dont blame you. I also say maybe it can be fixed with digital tech. Keeping an open mind. Also, dont tell me not to say sorry, in case you didnt notice, just as you didnt notice any grain during the theatrical screening, I said sorry because I know I am out of line for getting angry.


    Again, anger gets thrown on here from other things, like nelson not changing my status back when he does so for everybody else, other things, and yes X, it is ridiculous. Thats why I say sorry. Nothin against Nelson, he rocks!

    Not that anybody here cares, but my fience past away a few months ago among other things, so forgive me for misguiding anger at you darthrage. Perhaps we should change screen names. lol Overall, you did ignore my post and it ticked me off, for my response, I am sorry. My life is just rapidly fallin apart.
    Go to your mantra!...[/Ace Ventura] In with the good; out with the bad! But yea answer was honest. How do you explain the shots that were CGI and grainy black. Only thing I can assume is that it had to be done like that to get the color to match as seamlessly as they could. Was a little grainy, but I didn't think it was a bad thing.
    The only thing worse than stupid people are stupid people who bother me...
    Bumblebee1983:
    I'm da bomb.
    xXRavenXx:
    I'm Da Bomb... you can be my igniter though **Humms Light My Fire by The Doors** lol
    Bumblebee1983:
    As for being your igniter.....umm.....okay.
    xXRavenXx:
    **Thrilled with BB Raven sings afternoon delight from Anchorman**

  25. #25

    Default

    um.. thats what i already was talking about, when i talked about the bad scenes in transformers... like with (almost) all night shots in todays movies they're shot digitally (easier and stuff), or a filmcamera which looks like a digital film for that matter, which looks just awful. those "grainy" shot are exactly those i meant. not because they're grainy, i don't care for that, but just because they'r "digital". looked exactly bad like on the big screen so i don't really get why you talk about "dvd", "tft" or whatever problem.
    at least it was just for some scenes. miami vice looks like that the whole time
    Last edited by Simon; 10-20-2007 at 03:42 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •