Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heath Ledger's Joker is 'Thrill of the Knight'

Banned

Default Re: Heath Ledger's Joker is 'Thrill of the Knight'

^^^ I mostly agree with ya Bee, not lookin to debate, lol.

But I do disagree about hollywoods approach. A, Heath 's best performance was in Brokeback Mountain. That's what I was referring to, it's more risky and harder to do simplistic, then to go nuts as the joker, thats kinda easy to play a nut case.

I dont wanna debate cause I am doing so in a zillion places at once... ARghhh lol

FROM ANOTHER PLACE....

DorkmanScott posted:As for talking about Heath, I don't know if you've ever watched any marketing,
    E_F
    No, I have not watched any marketing, I am just talkin out my ass.

DorkmanScott posted:whenever there's a really stunning performance in a film, they always promote the hell out of it, having everyone talk about how great it is.
    E_F
    Indeed, but ya know, when I see a commercial for the film with actors behind the scenes talking about how great heath is and not even addressing the film itself, then there's a problem, for me anyways. I have never seen that for a movie preview.... That's NOT a movie preview, it's propaganda at it's lowest level of financial gain out of physical loss.

DorkmanScott posted:Frankly, I think it's great that they're promoting and really paying tribute to a great actor in what is apparently a great performance -
    E_F
    Are they really paying tribute to a great actor? Or are they taking advantage of his death and marketing it?

I'll take a chill pill, I just get sick of how Heath's death is OVER exposed so the film can generate more financial flow, but money is money, and that's the WB.

And yeah, the bold in your quote me post is me. I love Heath and his work, I just dont love the fact that WB is actually making his death bigger then his roll.

Quote Originally Posted by elemental fantasy View Post
    ^^^ I mostly agree with ya Bee, not lookin to debate, lol.

But I do disagree about hollywoods approach. A, Heath 's best performance was in Brokeback Mountain. That's what I was referring to, it's more risky and harder to do simplistic, then to go nuts as the joker, thats kinda easy to play a nut case.

I dont wanna debate cause I am doing so in a zillion places at once... ARghhh lol

FROM ANOTHER PLACE....

DorkmanScott posted:As for talking about Heath, I don't know if you've ever watched any marketing,
    E_F
    No, I have not watched any marketing, I am just talkin out my ass.

DorkmanScott posted:whenever there's a really stunning performance in a film, they always promote the hell out of it, having everyone talk about how great it is.
    E_F
    Indeed, but ya know, when I see a commercial for the film with actors behind the scenes talking about how great heath is and not even addressing the film itself, then there's a problem, for me anyways. I have never seen that for a movie preview.... That's NOT a movie preview, it's propaganda at it's lowest level of financial gain out of physical loss.

DorkmanScott posted:Frankly, I think it's great that they're promoting and really paying tribute to a great actor in what is apparently a great performance -
    E_F
    Are they really paying tribute to a great actor? Or are they taking advantage of his death and marketing it?

I'll take a chill pill, I just get sick of how Heath's death is OVER exposed so the film can generate more financial flow, but money is money, and that's the WB.

And yeah, the bold in your quote me post is me. I love Heath and his work, I just dont love the fact that WB is actually making his death bigger then his roll.

Well Hollywood is into the money making business.

Anybody in the marketing/movie business/media is in the money-making business (sadly, I'm not...and I'm in the damn media...*sniff* yes, I'll take cheddar with my wine...)

there may be a little more of overpromoting due to his untimely death, but that was six...seven (counts on hand) months ago. It'll be sad that he isn't around to see the audience's reaction to his role as the Joker.

I'm just sayin'...
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

they can make a movie about real life... parts of it's real parts of it is hollywood
    they have to hollywood it to make it believeable
    Optimus Prime. Never disappoints... Unlike YOU, Starscream!

Quote Originally Posted by megatron42 View Post
    they can make a movie about real life... parts of it's real parts of it is hollywood
    they have to hollywood it to make it believeable
    Yup. Very true.

I dread the day they decide to bank on his death even more by making a movie out of his life.

Hey EF...there's banking on his death for ya! :lol
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Beej View Post
    Yo, r-type, it is an orange, as in "Clockwork."
    Nice. Droog reference, ftw.

Banned

Bumblebee1983
    I dread the day they decide to bank on his death even more by making a movie out of his life.

lol, not if the gain goes to a good cause.

Semi off topic, Whats really sad, is people never fully grasp what is lost until it is lost forever... That's the case with Heath Ledger. And not to get religious or anything, but I have a pretty good feeling that Heath will be watching over his little girl every now and then, and I am sure he will know the love that people have for him that he so rightfully earned in his life's work. -

Quote Originally Posted by elemental fantasy View Post
    Bumblebee1983

lol, not if the gain goes to a good cause.

Semi off topic, Whats really sad, is people never fully grasp what is lost until it is lost forever... That's the case with Heath Ledger. And not to get religious or anything, but I have a pretty good feeling that Heath will be watching over his little girl every now and then, and I am sure he will know the love that people have for him that he so rightfully earned in his life's work. -
    Uh oh dude....better watch it...you'll be the next emo! :lol

(j/k)

Thumbs up Re: Heath Ledger's Joker is 'Thrill of the Knight'

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post
    Sooo lemme ask you, have you read Frank Miller's "The Killing Joke"? It's a dark tale of Batman and the Joker (and I mean DARK). Heath apparently was influenced by that version of the Joker and man oh man is he psychotic..
    I have not read Frank Millar's "The Killing Joke" must be a very rare find

But I do have Alan Moore's book "the Killing Joke"
    I am a huge Batman fan spanning from 1986 when I started collecting till now and collectiong various stories even before I got into comics from the 70's and 60's.
    I think the best example of what I can show about the Jokers total package is the "A Death in the Family" story when he kills Jason Todd. The way things went about it that story he was untouchable..and showed it in every way..on top of his stature he had for himself.
    I mean sure a Killing Joke introduced that particular Joker to us. But this expanded on the idea and showed what the Joker really was..in fact a cold blooded killer that was insane but not crazy. Just could not care less in how he gets his way and he sure knew how to dress for it.
    What I am saying is I hope this jokers not just some brooding dirty looking drugged out whacko with no real connection to the Joker. I think thats why I connect to Jacks Jocker so much. He did it with style that befits who the Joker is. He is supposed to be crass, flamboyant and NUTS! All those make the Joker who he is..Something that might be missing from this movie. Especially since they take much of what makes the Joker who he is in the comic..
    the way I see the Joker is..Wolverine with laughing gas..someone that will out and out be buddies with you and then turn an eye the wrong way laugh his ass off at you while brutally hitting you with whatever he can grab..and not only not care but be totally happy if he kills you even if your his best friend..I mean if I don't see the joker on the screen and just some guy in clown makeup I dont care if the acting is award winning ..hes not the Joker and its bad..but that remains to be scene..and again I agree with Elelemental its Ledger overlad with the commercials..This is the Dark Knight..not The killing Joke..

Quote Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot View Post

I've been looking for that book for years. It and War On Crime (paul dini/alex ross) are extremely hard to find now a days. If any one is a Batman fan these are must have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post
    Yup. Very true.

bank on it bee you know they will... look what they did to anna
    nicole they're thinking on making a movie about her

Sooo I wonder if in the end of this movie we'll see Two-Face team up with Ras Al Guhl....because we really didn't see him die in the end of Batman Begins...and villains sometimes come back at the end of the sequel.

Want the answer? Warning, MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not kidding! MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!

While Ras Al Guhl makes a brief appearance at the start of "The Dark Knight", Two-Face won't be teaming up with anyone. He loses his sanity over the death of Rachel and goes on a hunt for those he deems responsible, among them Commissioner Gordon and his team who were tasked to protect him and Rachel, but were undercut by traitors. In the end, however, he dies and a choice is made to cover up his deeds. Batman deliberately takes the blame for everything that's gone wrong and becomes the outcast once more - hunted by police and public.

Quote Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot View Post

I am a huge Batman fan spanning from 1986 when I started collecting till now and collectiong various stories even before I got into comics from the 70's and 60's.
    I think the best example of what I can show about the Jokers total package is the "A Death in the Family" story when he kills Jason Todd. The way things went about it that story he was untouchable..and showed it in every way..on top of his stature he had for himself.
    I mean sure a Killing Joke introduced that particular Joker to us. But this expanded on the idea and showed what the Joker really was..in fact a cold blooded killer that was insane but not crazy. Just could not care less in how he gets his way and he sure knew how to dress for it.
    What I am saying is I hope this jokers not just some brooding dirty looking drugged out whacko with no real connection to the Joker. I think thats why I connect to Jacks Jocker so much. He did it with style that befits who the Joker is. He is supposed to be crass, flamboyant and NUTS! All those make the Joker who he is..Something that might be missing from this movie. Especially since they take much of what makes the Joker who he is in the comic..
    the way I see the Joker is..Wolverine with laughing gas..someone that will out and out be buddies with you and then turn an eye the wrong way laugh his ass off at you while brutally hitting you with whatever he can grab..and not only not care but be totally happy if he kills you even if your his best friend..I mean if I don't see the joker on the screen and just some guy in clown makeup I dont care if the acting is award winning ..hes not the Joker and its bad..but that remains to be scene..and again I agree with Elelemental its Ledger overlad with the commercials..This is the Dark Knight..not The killing Joke..
    I think that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
    I've been looking for that book for years. It and War On Crime (paul dini/alex ross) are extremely hard to find now a days. If any one is a Batman fan these are must have.
    I think I have the 25th anniversary hardback edition of "The Killing Joke." It's incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Winkeladvokat View Post
    Want the answer? Warning, MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not kidding! MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!

While Ras Al Guhl makes a brief appearance at the start of "The Dark Knight", Two-Face won't be teaming up with anyone. He loses his sanity over the death of Rachel and goes on a hunt for those he deems responsible, among them Commissioner Gordon and his team who were tasked to protect him and Rachel, but were undercut by traitors. In the end, however, he dies and a choice is made to cover up his deeds. Batman deliberately takes the blame for everything that's gone wrong and becomes the outcast once more - hunted by police and public.
    And I read that if you blink, you'll miss the Scarecrow/Dr. Crane appearance.

Ah, sorry, I was confused for a moment there - it's not Ras Al Guhl, but Scarecrow I was talking about...

Ah, sorry, I was confused for a moment there - it's not Ras Al Guhl, but Scarecrow I was talking about...
    Okay, gotcha now. I knew the scarecrow came in, if you blinked you missed him. He showed up that much. :lol

My major concern with the first four Batman-films was that Batman/Bruce Wayne became a secondary character to all the villains. I really don't want this to happen with The Dark Knight. It does look great, but I hope Christian Bale doesn't get pushed back for the sake of the Joker. He's such a great actor, as was Heath Ledger, but frankly I don't want to see a Heath Ledger-show here. This is my biggest fear for the film. The movie is called The Dark Knight you know, and not The Joker And Ledger should get the Oscar if he truly deserves it, not because he sadly passed away.

What I like about Chris Nolan though is that he makes these movies as a spit in the face of people who'll go "Oh, the silly Batman-movies are just for kids" and so forth. I wonder if kids even enjoyed a film like Batman Begins? I know some people my age (I'm 20) thought the movie was "boring" and "nothing happened" and "too talky". Dumbasses Anyway, I'm looking forward to the film really much - as does the rest of the movie going public it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
    My major concern with the first four Batman-films was that Batman/Bruce Wayne became a secondary character to all the villains. I really don't want this to happen with The Dark Knight. It does look great, but I hope Christian Bale doesn't get pushed back for the sake of the Joker. He's such a great actor, as was Heath Ledger, but frankly I don't want to see a Heath Ledger-show here. This is my biggest fear for the film. The movie is called The Dark Knight you know, and not The Joker And Ledger should get the Oscar if he truly deserves it, not because he sadly passed away.

What I like about Chris Nolan though is that he makes these movies as a spit in the face of people who'll go "Oh, the silly Batman-movies are just for kids" and so forth. I wonder if kids even enjoyed a film like Batman Begins? I know some people my age (I'm 20) thought the movie was "boring" and "nothing happened" and "too talky". Dumbasses Anyway, I'm looking forward to the film really much - as does the rest of the movie going public it seems.
    I have been warning people with young kids that this new franchise is not for young kids. Nolan's vision of this franchise is much much much darker than Tim Burton's or Shumacker's versions.

Even though Jack Nic's Joker was a bit freaky, in his own way.

I don't know of any younger kids that have seen Batman Begins. And it was not too talky! What a buncha dumbasses!

*by the by...likey my new avatar?* Bwahaha!!

I have been warning people with young kids that this new franchise is not for young kids. Nolan's vision of this franchise is much much much darker than Tim Burton's or Shumacker's versions.
    I for one think that "Batman Returns" is way more nightmarish and dark than "Batman Begins" and even "The Dark Knight".

i liked batman forever with val kilmer

I for one think that "Batman Returns" is way more nightmarish and dark than "Batman Begins" and even "The Dark Knight".
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from. That one is dark, but not gory dark like TDK will be.

Quote Originally Posted by megatron42 View Post
    i liked batman forever with val kilmer
    As much as I love Val Kilmer....I didn't like him as Batman. :deadhorse1:

he was ok