Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heath Ledger's Joker is 'Thrill of the Knight'

Default Heath Ledger's Joker is 'Thrill of the Knight'

This looks freaking fantastic. Heath's role certainly deserves an Oscar.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06302008...830.htm?page=1
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

Banned

Default Re: Heath Ledger's Joker is 'Thrill of the Knight'

I so want that Bat suit.

What looks fantastic??? I wouldn't say his performance deserves anything until we see it. He certainly doesn't deserve an Oscar for his death. I know that they might give it to him cause people already want him to have it and say he deserves it, but not too many people have seen the movie yet, and the ones who have go in to it almost with an attitude that no matter what he does in the role, it's brilliant, which just isnt true.....

"The first moment he appeared onscreen a burst of applause and cheers from the audience."

He just shows up and instantly people praise him without really even seeing his performance.... Only time will tell, though I think he indeed looks freakin awesome in this, and probably will be 100% worthy of the Oscar, I just dont want it to be for the wrong reasons, like he died, we like him, give it to him.
    Last edited by elemental fantasy; 06-30-2008 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elemental fantasy View Post
    I so want that Bat suit.

What looks fantastic??? I wouldn't say his performance deserves anything until we see it. He certainly doesn't deserve an Oscar for his death. I know that they might give it to him cause people already want him to have it and say he deserves it, but not too many people have seen the movie yet, and the ones who have go in to it almost with an attitude that no matter what he does in the role, it's brilliant, which just isnt true.....

"The first moment he appeared onscreen a burst of applause and cheers from the audience."

He just shows up and instantly people praise him without really even seeing his performance.... Only time will tell, though I think he indeed looks freakin awesome in this, and probably will be 100% worthy of the Oscar, I just dont want it to be for the wrong reasons, like he died, we like him, give it to him.
    Of course they won't give him the Oscar just because he died. That's not the point. They didn't do that with Chris Farley when he died, did they? :lol

The point is that Heath gave an incredible performance as this villain. It's sad that it had to be his last performance, but everyone's saying he has ultimately given the Joker a real villainous feeling. This is unlike anything he ever did in his short career as an actor. He was just now up and coming in Hollywood and a tragic overdose took his life. Essentially, this role did kill him, but they're not saying for him to get the Oscar because he died. They're saying give him the Oscar because his performance is out of this world.
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

He'd have to really thrill me to beat out Jack. Seeing trailers, photos, and reading the news just won't do it for me. I'll watch Batman89 and the Batman show with Cesar then make a comparison. Me being a Jack fan I'm going to tear apart Ledger's take. Just because he died doesn't mean I should sympathize and take it into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
    He'd have to really thrill me to beat out Jack. Seeing trailers, photos, and reading the news just won't do it for me. I'll watch Batman89 and the Batman show with Cesar then make a comparison. Me being a Jack fan I'm going to tear apart Ledger's take. Just because he died doesn't mean I should sympathize and take it into account.
    Dude, you can't compare Heath's Joker to Jack's Joker.

Jack's Joker was more comedic and comic-bookey. Heath's Joker is a psychotic twisted person.

Just you wait and see.

And I'm not looking for sympathy, neither is Christopher Nolan or Christian Bale or any of the people that are a part of the Dark Knight.

I honestly think he'd still be getting this much attention even if he didn't die.

You have to compare until its seen. Its a given. Just like Jack's was compared to Cesar. It's like comparing all the actors who played Batman/Bruce Wayne.

You have to compare until its seen. Its a given. Just like Jack's was compared to Cesar. It's like comparing all the actors who played Batman/Bruce Wayne.
    I could do that too!!!! :lol

Honestly, I'm taking the critic's word for it. But yes, I can't wait to see it and then compare (truthfully) with Jack's and Cesar's.

NO BEE DONT DO THAT!!!!!! Never take the critic's word. Don't give in to the dark side. Save you we can.

NO BEE DONT DO THAT!!!!!! Never take the critic's word. Don't give in to the dark side. Save you we can.
    Okay Yoda.

I love July! Luv it, luv it, luv it!

Okay, it's obviously the film to watch for several reasons (nods to Ledger), but I'm just tossing in my guesses as to which characters get offed (most likely in my brain anyway) are Fox and Dawes. As for Ledger's Joker, it is apples to orange. Stands alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Beej View Post
    I love July! Luv it, luv it, luv it!

Okay, it's obviously the film to watch for several reasons (nods to Ledger), but I'm just tossing in my guesses as to which characters get offed (most likely in my brain anyway) are Fox and Dawes. As for Ledger's Joker, it is apples to orange. Stands alone.
    YES! Stands alone. Thank you!

Dawes definitely (it's in the trailer!)....as for Fox, why do you say that? I'm perplexed.

knowing bee she'll see it 14 X's like i did for the last of the mohicans
    when it came out to the theater i saw it every night for 14 days straight
    Optimus Prime. Never disappoints... Unlike YOU, Starscream!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post
    YES! Stands alone. Thank you!

Dawes definitely (it's in the trailer!)....as for Fox, why do you say that? I'm perplexed.
    Of all the characters that I recall being in the strip his isn't one of them. If I were the Joker, I'd take out the man's Toy Maker. I know, I know, they don't know who the Dark Knight is, ergo, how does one find his Toy Maker, but I'd put it in there. Maybe the toy the Bat needs to defeat the criminals isn't quite ready, but the fight rages on and when Fox delivers it, his life is forfeited. Depends on where and when Dawes dies... one of them is the lowest point for the hero and one is the one that has him rise and comeback. I'm probably over thinking it. And then, too, while part of the story will be resolved, there will also be the cliff hanger for the next installment, or at least the set up for it.

Just deducing: Alfred ? Nope; Lt. Gordon? Nope; Barbara Gordon? No; Two Face? No; Scarecrow? Maybe; James Gordon, Jr. ? Maybe; Commissioner? Sure, why not it's not Gordon; Rachael Dawes ? Lucious Fox ?

He just shows up and instantly people praise him without really even seeing his performance....
    Well, I for one have - and although I think his performance will long be forgotten come Oscar time, I'd certainly vote for him.

Thumbs up Re: Heath Ledger's Joker is 'Thrill of the Knight'

I have to agree with Dev and Elemental.
    The critics are beating this into the ground like this is Gandhi.:deadhorse1:.And like mentioned the people in the showing cheered when he came on screen??? Right there gives me the suspicion of not seeing it at a normal level. I know its human nature to look at someones role after they died a little more..or when its to good to be true. Heck it just happened recently with somone here not giving Robert Downy Jr. his credit in Iron Man for his more than amazing role as Stark.
    Truthfully, nothing about this movie has impressed me. Jacks Joker though different is still tops in the live area. Will I compare the two? Not really, two diffrent telling of Batman. But what I will compare is if he measures up to the expectations of the Jokers role in movies.
    What bothers me is Ledgers Joker looks like he just walked out of a sewer..that gets me first.
    The Joker in my mind was always this showman with theatrics to his evil..crisp clean "fun" always dressed to impress.but again this is his telling of the Joker so if he does make the Joker come alive on the screen I will credit it..if its just Ledger in makeup doing a good role I will say it..till then we gotta wait..

I tell you Iron Man kicked ass as far as comic movies are concerned and raised the bar..sooo..Batman has a lot to live up to..but agai nthats me.

Quote Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot View Post
    I have to agree with Dev and Elemental.
    The critics are beating this into the ground like this is Gandhi.:deadhorse1:.And like mentioned the people in the showing cheered when he came on screen??? Right there gives me the suspicion of not seeing it at a normal level. I know its human nature to look at someones role after they died a little more..or when its to good to be true. Heck it just happened recently with somone here not giving Robert Downy Jr. his credit in Iron Man for his more than amazing role as Stark.
    Truthfully, nothing about this movie has impressed me. Jacks Joker though different is still tops in the live area. Will I compare the two? Not really, two diffrent telling of Batman. But what I will compare is if he measures up to the expectations of the Jokers role in movies.
    What bothers me is Ledgers Joker looks like he just walked out of a sewer..that gets me first.
    The Joker in my mind was always this showman with theatrics to his evil..crisp clean "fun" always dressed to impress.but again this is his telling of the Joker so if he does make the Joker come alive on the screen I will credit it..if its just Ledger in makeup doing a good role I will say it..till then we gotta wait..

I tell you Iron Man kicked ass as far as comic movies are concerned and raised the bar..sooo..Batman has a lot to live up to..but agai nthats me.
    Sooo lemme ask you, have you read Frank Miller's "The Killing Joke"? It's a dark tale of Batman and the Joker (and I mean DARK). Heath apparently was influenced by that version of the Joker and man oh man is he psychotic.

Quote Originally Posted by megatron42 View Post
    knowing bee she'll see it 14 X's like i did for the last of the mohicans
    when it came out to the theater i saw it every night for 14 days straight
    Maybe...we'll have to see.

Of all the characters that I recall being in the strip his isn't one of them. If I were the Joker, I'd take out the man's Toy Maker. I know, I know, they don't know who the Dark Knight is, ergo, how does one find his Toy Maker, but I'd put it in there. Maybe the toy the Bat needs to defeat the criminals isn't quite ready, but the fight rages on and when Fox delivers it, his life is forfeited. Depends on where and when Dawes dies... one of them is the lowest point for the hero and one is the one that has him rise and comeback. I'm probably over thinking it. And then, too, while part of the story will be resolved, there will also be the cliff hanger for the next installment, or at least the set up for it.

Just deducing: Alfred ? Nope; Lt. Gordon? Nope; Barbara Gordon? No; Two Face? No; Scarecrow? Maybe; James Gordon, Jr. ? Maybe; Commissioner? Sure, why not it's not Gordon; Rachael Dawes ? Lucious Fox ?
    You have some points there. We haven't seen much of Lucius in the trailers. And it would be smart of the Joker to go after the Bat's toy maker.

Dawes dies right before Two-Face emerges: the Joker kills her off (we do see this in the trailer, him pushing her off the roof of a building and Harvey reaching for her), then Harvey being forced into some sort of chemical vat, thus bringing in Two-Face.

And in viewing the original ('89) movie trailer and then viewing the very first trailer to the Dark Knight, there are many editing similarities.

Of course Burton's version was dark, but it was...comic bookey dark, if you know what I'm speaking of.

The Dark Knight is going to be dark dark. Gothic even. Batman Begins was. And I've heard praises about that movie (and even follows the comics much much better.) Sooo I wonder if in the end of this movie we'll see Two-Face team up with Ras Al Guhl....because we really didn't see him die in the end of Batman Begins...and villains sometimes come back at the end of the sequel.

I think this re-beginning of the franchise could go far if done right.

As for Ledger's Joker, it is apples to orange. Stands alone.
    Only if Ledger were playing someone else. If Joker is the apple, then all we are doing is comparing which one is the most rotten.

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post
    Only if Ledger were playing someone else. If Joker is the apple, then all we are doing is comparing which one is the most rotten.
    Or the one that fell furthest away from the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post
    Or the one that fell furthest away from the tree.
    An apple nonetheless...

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post
    An apple nonetheless...
    Now I want an apple.

But yes, I see your point. :lol

Banned

OK, now I am getting fed up, almost to the point of wanting Heaths last role to fail!!! Hollywood is doing THAT!!!

I shit you not, I saw previews for this movie last night around 7 pm, I think on sportscenter or somethin, all the previews featured the Joker, and they were all around 1 minute and 10 seconds, far more then a commercial, as well, they played it at the beginning and end of there commercial blocks, and even had behind the scenes interviews with the cast talking about Heath..... He's dead, he wasnt the greatest, nor the worst, but he's dead, let him rest in peace and move on.
    I for one now DONT want to see him get the oscar unless it's a must, and with ALL the movies this year, I promise you there ARE people who are more deseving of the oscar performance wise, or just as deserving. It's actually VERY easy for any decent actor to play a mental fuck case. The more suddle roles are the overlooked ones cause they dont stand out like the Joker roll, as well, there often the most difficult to capture for actors on ANY level. The public makes me sick of insisting how amazing his performance is, though most havent seen it, and if the guy was still alive, I promise not too many people would be saying JACK SHIT about him!!!!!!

No offense to you queen Bee (I still hate some of these stupid smilys)
    Bee 83 is way cool however and does fall a bit into this catagory, but not wanting to be a meany as Bee is very sweet and a Great Heath fan!!!!
    Dont get me wrong, I freakin LOVE heath, but......

But I dont like critics and the media literally force feeding and trying to brain wash people the way they are doing for this film. I've officially had enough and now am sick of Heath, he's edead, leave him there for christ sakes already!

Again, not conveyed well, but this is due to what I have been seeing in, well, everywhere in the past week, not this thread, but the main media pool, sickens me!

OK, now I am getting fed up, almost to the point of wanting Heaths last role to fail!!! Hollywood is doing THAT!!!

I shit you not, I saw previews for this movie last night around 7 pm, I think on sportscenter or somethin, all the previews featured the Joker, and they were all around 1 minute and 10 seconds, far more then a commercial, as well, they played it at the beginning and end of there commercial blocks, and even had behind the scenes interviews with the cast talking about Heath..... He's dead, he wasnt the greatest, nor the worst, but he's dead, let him rest in peace and move on.
    I for one now DONT want to see him get the oscar unless it's a must, and with ALL the movies this year, I promise you there ARE people who are more deseving of the oscar performance wise, or just as deserving. It's actually VERY easy for any decent actor to play a mental fuck case. The more suddle roles are the overlooked ones cause they dont stand out like the Joker roll, as well, there often the most difficult to capture for actors on ANY level. The public makes me sick of insisting how amazing his performance is, though most havent seen it, and if the guy was still alive, I promise not too many people would be saying JACK SHIT about him!!!!!!

Bee 83 is way cool however and does fall a bit into this catagory, but not wanting to be a meany as Bee is very sweet and a Great Heath fan!!!!

But I dont like critics and the media literally force feeding and trying to brain wash people the way they are doing for this film. I've officially had enough and now am sick of Heath, he's edead, leave him there for christ sakes already!

Again, not conveyed well, but this is due to what I have been seeing in, well, everywhere in the past week, not this thread, but the main media pool, sickens me!
    Dude....number one

breathe

and number two...the critics aren't forcing anything down anyone's throats.

and come on, you really don't want Heath's role to fail. Be honest with me, yourself and everyone here. Honesty is the best policy.

and I am offended!!!!!!!! You are now off my friends list.

okay, maybe not, (come on, I can't be offended that easily!) you've got your own opinion, I've got mine, that's the American way damnit! (dunno where that came from!) :lol Maybe I ought to change my signature just to piss you off. *wink wink*

but come on...you don't have to see the movie, you don't have to watch the media's take on this....just turn the TV off and don't click on any links.

How 'bout that? Try that...see if that makes your blood pressure go down.

And yes, Heath is dead, but honor the dude's memory by realizing this is his last complete film role. K? We square?

God I hate typing up church news. Maybe that's all the pent up anger I'm going to feel next week. LOL

And yes, I am queen...and cool (many many people have said that) and this is my last edit because I have to get back to cleaning up church news for tomorrow's early deadline....*cracks knuckles*

Most the time I would agree on the media, however people have always talked about HL's performances and it started with Cassidy's television series "Roar." Mind you HL's performance in "Brokeback Mountain" so, not like the buzz is without merit per se.

In case you did forget:
    2005 Oscar (78th)
    ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
    Philip Seymour Hoffman -- Capote {"Truman Capote"} Winner
    Terrence Howard -- Hustle & Flow {"DJay"}
    Heath Ledger -- Brokeback Mountain {"Ennis Del Mar"}
    Joaquin Phoenix -- Walk the Line {"John R. Cash"}
    David Strathairn -- Good Night, and Good Luck. {"Edward R. Murrow"}

I haven't seen his performance beyond the DK trailers, but I did see the snippet on YouTube which wasn't a trailer, it was the jiggly snuck my camera in version of the bank heist. Wasn't just HL, was the whole enchilada and it just made me go, "nice."

Oscar smosker, as if one lives a life to win a little golden bald man with a very short sword. And, look who got this year... pshaw.

Yo, r-type, it is an orange, as in "Clockwork."

Banned

lol

Sorry, I'm not upset at anybody other then hollywood.

Heath is such a great actor, his death is WHY he gets all the attention. Not due to his roll, and yes, they focus alot on Heath DEATH!!!, alot more then when the trailers came out, when I start to see commercials that are interviews about the cast and crew talking about how great Heath was in the film rather then a commercial for the film itself, then theres a problem, that sickens me and thats when I speak my mind. And I shouldnt be disrespect, (I shouldnt let anybody deminish that the way I let Hollywood) other people in hollywood should too, like the studio execs. But they dont, they ARE using the poor Mans death for a marketing strategy, that IS WRONG! imho...
    But I still cant wait to see it, and know Heath will deliver a kick butt performance. Hollywoods approach is just wrong, well, there intentions are, morally that is, but hey, they are makin bank off the guy's death, there happy, moneys money I suppose...

lol

Sorry, I'm not upset at anybody other then hollywood.

Heath is such a great actor, his death is WHY he gets all the attention. Not due to his roll, and yes, they focus alot on Heath DEATH!!!, alot more then when the trailers came out, when I start to see commercials that are interviews about the cast and crew talking about how great Heath was in the film rather then a commercial for the film itself, then theres a problem, that sickens me and thats when I speak my mind. And I shouldnt be disrespect, (I shouldnt let anybody deminish that the way I let Hollywood) other people in hollywood should too, like the studio execs. But they dont, they ARE using the poor Mans death for a marketing strategy, that IS WRONG! imho...
    But I still cant wait to see it, and know Heath will deliver a kick butt performance. Hollywoods approach is just wrong, well, there intentions are, morally that is, but hey, they are makin bank off the guy's death, there happy, moneys money I suppose...
    See? Isn't that better? Don't you feel better with the truth now out? (granted you did write the bolded part, right?)

Well, in that case, you may not want to stay for the ending of the film (through the credits). They dedicate the film to him.

And by the by....I think he would have gotten just as much attention if he didn't die. You know why? This role is completely different than any of his other roles.

Take a Knight's Tale. He played the love interest in that film. (Love that movie...)
    Brokeback Mountain: a VERY different type of character and very well acted.
    Candy: a druggie who's trying to break from the addiction
    I'm Not There: Bob Dylan in one of his many stages of life
    Roar: never saw it, but I heard he was great in that
    The Patriot: the first movie I ever saw him in. Great little supporting role
    Monster's Ball: WHOA. That movie freakin' disturbed me. His role as the troubled son of Billy Bob's character was pretty good.
    Casanova: again, the love interest, in a comical sort of fantasy-ish way

But his role as the Joker in The Dark Knight is a completely different role for him. He dared to take it. Nolan wanted him specifically for that role. He broke through the barriers of his image in Hollywood and his fan base.

I admit, when I heard he was cast as the Joker, I immediately said "WTF?" and thought the movie would go downhill from there.

But from what I've seen, he's completely exceeded my expectations. That was even before he died when the teasers began coming out.

So, in conclusion, I don't see Hollywood as 'banking' on his death. It was very unfortunate that he died and left that little girl without a daddy. But this is his last complete film and it's a good way to honor Heath, an actor who died too soon and very much broke the boundaries of film and acting. This was the role of a lifetime and from what I've seen (not heard from the critics), he has succeeded in that very sense.

*bows*