Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Will we ever see that non-action movie from Michael?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    400

    Default Will we ever see that non-action movie from Michael?

    I hope that after Revenge of the Fallen he does something different. It would be very interesting to see how that one turned out. If anything it would be a surreal experience walking out totally confused from a Bay-film thinking "There was no explosions, no gunfire, no chases, no nothing" And while people may laugh and say the only thing Michael can do is action.... well, that's just wrong. Hell, even the critics think so. They were raving about those first 50 minutes or so of The Island and said that all the action destroyed the film. I've heard rumors of him wanting to a comedy... well, I just hope it's more mature and interesting and not some kind of Adam-Sandler type comedy or a Superbad type one. To me, that wouldn't be worth looking forward to. He's worked with many actors that have a great comedic range I think; Nic Cage, Owen Wilson, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare, John Turturro, Ewan McGregor... so get them all in the film, give them a great script and start shooting

  2. #2

    Default Re: Will we ever see that non-action movie from Michael?

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesman217 View Post
    i Hope That After Revenge Of The Fallen He Does Something Different. It Would Be Very Interesting To See How That One Turned Out. If Anything It Would Be A Surreal Experience Walking Out Totally Confused From A Bay-film Thinking "there Was No Explosions, No Gunfire, No Chases, No Nothing" :d and While People May Laugh And Say The Only Thing Michael Can Do Is Action.... Well, That's Just Wrong. Hell, Even The Critics Think So. They Were Raving About Those First 50 Minutes Or So Of The Island And Said That All The Action Destroyed The Film. I've Heard Rumors Of Him Wanting To A Comedy... Well, I Just Hope It's More Mature And Interesting And Not Some Kind Of Adam-sandler Type Comedy Or A Superbad Type One. To Me, That Wouldn't Be Worth Looking Forward To. He's Worked With Many Actors That Have A Great Comedic Range I Think; Nic Cage, Owen Wilson, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare, John Turturro, Ewan Mcgregor... So Get Them All In The Film, Give Them A Great Script And Start Shooting
    No one said that.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    448

    Default Re: Will we ever see that non-action movie from Michael?

    It wasn't that The Island was horrible, it was that it was different than anything he's done and it WAS working. What happened to The Island is that it essentially became Bad Boys II.

    He needs to do more projects like The Island and not the quick buck films like Transformers.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    400

    Default Re: Will we ever see that non-action movie from Michael?

    The Island had some of the best action I've seen so I'm not going to complain that it became an action flick. It's just the falling R I have problem with it and the silly "No, I'm Lincoln!" stand off. The only script I ever read was actually Caspian Tredwell Owen's original script that was penned before Michael got involved and before Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. It's basically the same film but without all the action. It wasn't particularly exciting. Scarlett's character was pregnant I remember, she also met her "sponsor". I really don't remember much.

    And the only quick buck film Michael's ever done would be Bad Boys II. Transformers I feel it's probably the riskiest and most complicated movie Michael's done so far from a film making perspective. I think the reason because the budget is low (140 million dollars isn't low exactly but now when studios throw 280 million dollars at movie it's pretty low) is because that there were people not sure if it would be a success or not. People who claim "Oh, it was going to make 700 million dollars worldwide no matter who directed it" are off the mark. Just a couple of years back people were laughing out loud at the thought of a live action Transformers movie.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    448

    Default Re: Will we ever see that non-action movie from Michael?

    Quote Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
    And the only quick buck film Michael's ever done would be Bad Boys II. Transformers I feel it's probably the riskiest and most complicated movie Michael's done so far from a film making perspective. I think the reason because the budget is low (140 million dollars isn't low exactly but now when studios throw 280 million dollars at movie it's pretty low) is because that there were people not sure if it would be a success or not. People who claim "Oh, it was going to make 700 million dollars worldwide no matter who directed it" are off the mark. Just a couple of years back people were laughing out loud at the thought of a live action Transformers movie.
    Not that I don't disagree about Bad Boys II, but that is just fun all around.

    I'm not disrespecting the job Bay did on Transformers, but that was making a profit based on the name alone. It's like G.I. Joe; Sommers can't direct to save his life but its going to make money because of the name.

  6. #6
    Senior Member darthrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,035

    Default Re: Will we ever see that non-action movie from Michael?

    No, because I want him to keep on making nothing but action spectacles.

    Maybe smaller action films but still action films, nonetheless.

    His films are just fun. The right amount of action and humour and the pacing is perfect. Never a dull moment. He's gotta successful working formula and he should stick with it.

    A Michael Bay drama film won't be recieved well. I don't think you can please everyone with this one.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    400

    Default Re: Will we ever see that non-action movie from Michael?

    Quote Originally Posted by darthrage View Post
    No, because I want him to keep on making nothing but action spectacles.

    Maybe smaller action films but still action films, nonetheless.

    His films are just fun. The right amount of action and humour and the pacing is perfect. Never a dull moment. He's gotta successful working formula and he should stick with it.

    A Michael Bay drama film won't be recieved well. I don't think you can please everyone with this one.
    Who said drama?

    The problem with this is that there will be a point where Michael runs out of ideas. Where his action direction becomes tired and we see the same shots of cars flipping over and helicopters flying against sunsets. So I'm for something different after Transformers 2 - doesn't matter if it's, like you say, a smaller action film (something that Tony Scott would do perhaps) or a crime thriller, a comedy.... just something different.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Devastator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,840

    Default Re: Will we ever see that non-action movie from Michael?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beej View Post
    Hmmm....

    Maybe, swords, lords and a deaf mute girl, or LA Confidential meets Sunset Boulevard...

    I can tell I've had a little too much wine tonight... feels good, but I shouldn't have had that second glass.

    Okay, back to work... you guys continue to pontificate.
    Ohh a crime noir Bay film. I like that idea. A second glass put you over the top or about? Lightweight

  9. #9
    Senior Member Trigger Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,121

    Default Re: Will we ever see that non-action movie from Michael?

    Quote Originally Posted by halofan1 View Post
    It wasn't that The Island was horrible, it was that it was different than anything he's done and it WAS working. What happened to The Island is that it essentially became Bad Boys II.
    What happened to The Island was poor marketing. Plain and simple.

    Quote Originally Posted by halofan1 View Post
    He needs to do more projects like The Island and not the quick buck films like Transformers.
    "Quick buck"? You do know that Bay has to dedicate over two years of his life to a film like Transformers, right? The amount of time and effort that goes into creating this monster films is anything but "quick". They're as physically and mentally draining as filmmaking gets. The reason Bay does them is because he's one of the few directors who can handle these projects.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Will we ever see that non-action movie from Michael?

    Oh man, it's always hilarious if people name The Island (the first 30 minutes or something) as a good example that Bay can do that "other" stuff.
    The first half of The Island was pretty boring and bad. Thank god it got great after the escape.
    So, when "will we ever see that non-action movie from Michael"? Hopefully never.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •