Thread: Recall your opening night theater experience.

Default Recall your opening night theater experience.

it was the July 2nd first screening.

I remember that I showed up at least 2 hours early to get a good spot in line. There were probably 50 people in front of me in the line. I was with some friends and further closer to the front of the line was Optimus Prime. Yes a guy who took the time to make an Optimus Prime costume.

Anyways, it was probably the best theater going experience ever. The audience was obviously filled with hardcore fans. Nobody kicking the back of your seat. No obnoxious audience members who wouldn't shut up. And the cheers and laughing came at the appropriate timing. People just wanted to make sure that it was their best viewing of the movie ever.

We all cheered at the following events:

"Lights dimming"
    "Feature Presentation"
    "BB arriving as the Concept Camaro"
    "Each Autobot Protoform taking their ALT modes"
    "Bonecrusher taken out by Prime"
    "End credits"

It was an awesome experience and it seemed like everyone was pleased.

It wasn't just about watching a movie, it was the the whole event as a package in a theater full positive energy that made the experience so fun.

Default Re: Recall your opening night theater experience.

I remember wearing my "Giant Fucking Robots are Coming" shirt, being 2nd or 3rd in line, getting the best seats in the house, and the theatre going absolutely apeshit at all of the right moments.

July 27 I was first in line and got the best seats, there wasn't that many people watching it though and I was the only person wearing a TF t-shirt.
    Jesus respawned in 3 days.....

Now that's lag.

It was 4th of August.
    My husband told me "Hey, why don't we go see some blockbuster movie today?" So we chose Transformers at randomly.

"Do you remember the cartoon?"

He asked me just before watching the movie at the theater. I said. "Yes, I think I remember"
    My husband is well known as a giant-robot geek (google his name ), so he had 2007 movieverse toys already, but we both were still thinking it might have been a kind of the alien invasion movie just having the name of Transformers on it. Because the press in Japan had been promoting it as if it was an Armageddon + The War of the World. Can you believe this? Most of Japanese audiences didn't realize that it's a movie about giant fucking robots till the opening day. (Some people complained about it.)

A few minutes after the movie started, while hearing the narration by Mr. Peter Cullen, I said. "Hey, this sounds like Transformers.." My husband agreed. "Wow, this is actually Transformers!" I totally hadn't expected me to love this movie so much till I first saw it.

You know the rest.. now I'm here as a slave of love for this movie.

Banned

I saw the first screening on july 2nd, I actually stood in line for about 3 or 4 hours, well, started a line,

Not for TF, but for Bay's new flick.

Aside from that. I was surprised at some of the underexposure, well, bad D.P. work, and surprised at how funny the movie was.
    Took my Niece and Nephew, thats about it.

I just remember my heart beating real fast as the movie was coming on. my hands were sweating and everthing. My wife thought i was gonna friggin die, and she still teases me about it to this day.

July 3rd, 2007, I went to see a movie....

I was like a kid in the candy store seeing this movie, brought my childhood back.

Oh yeah, it got some great reception from the audience. At the end of the movie, this guy jumped up and shouted "NOW THAT'S A MOVIE!!!"

I had a smile on my face for the remainder of the day.

BTW, do theaters in the U.S. usually become so crowded on the opening night?
    I'm planning to visit somewhere in the States to see it, do you think I'll need to get in line a couple of hours before the show?

Quote Originally Posted by sora View Post
    BTW, do theaters in the U.S. usually become so crowded on the opening night?
    I'm planning to visit somewhere in the States to see it, do you think I'll need to get in line a couple of hours before the show?
    In a word, yes.
    Opening nights are always hectic, especially for a blockbuster. Ever wonder where the term blockbuster came from? It was slang used when people would line up for blocks to see successfull theatre plays.
    (Lines today are not that long, but show up a couple hours ahead to get good seats)

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixgirl View Post
    In a word, yes.
    Opening nights are always hectic, especially for a blockbuster. Ever wonder where the term blockbuster came from? It was slang used when people would line up for blocks to see successfull theatre plays.
    (Lines today are not that long, but show up a couple hours ahead to get good seats)
    Thank you, wow.. it looks tough but also sounds fun! We usually book it by seat numbers in advance, so I'd better exercise a lot to grab a good seat.
    I hope the line will be shorter than Disneyland's at the Christmas time.

Thank you, wow.. it looks tough but also sounds fun! We usually book it by seat numbers in advance, so I'd better exercise a lot to grab a good seat.
    I hope the line will be shorter than Disneyland's at the Christmas time.

Oh yeah thats right. My brother lived in Tokyo for 5 years, he said that you can buy tickets in advance to get reserved seating with seat numbers so you won't ever have to worry about the movie being sold out. Also they have lots of space between the seats and in the middle, of the theater, if you pay more, they have soft couches for you with blankets or something.

Only some theaters are like that.

Quote Originally Posted by darthrage View Post
    Oh yeah thats right. My brother lived in Tokyo for 5 years, he said that you can buy tickets in advance to get reserved seating with seat numbers so you won't ever have to worry about the movie being sold out. Also they have lots of space between the seats and in the middle, of the theater, if you pay more, they have soft couches for you with blankets or something.

Only some theaters are like that.
    I'm getting worried about the movie being sold out already!

I'm getting worried about the movie being sold out already!
    LOL, not a chance.

I'm already getting worried about the movie being sold out!
    Fixed my bad English.

My opening night experience is that I DIDN'T watch Transformers on opening night (7/2)...'cause the friends I was hangin' out with that day wanted to watch "1408" (that horror flick with John Cusack in it. It sucked real bad) instead.

I was gonna watch Transformers that following Friday with said friends, but I was impatient and watched TF the day after I saw 1408... Everyone cheered and laughed at all the right moments, and some whistled during the shot of Mikaela making out with Sam ontop of BB's hood. It was awesome.

I walked out of the theater thinking that this was gonna be the Best Summer Movie of 2007 (it was)...and that I wanted to buy Steve Jablonsky's score right away
    Last edited by punkboy; 06-19-2008 at 07:57 PM.

July 2nd. First in line. Autobots shirt.

Crowd went apeshit at the following:

The opening DreamWorks logo.
    The transforming noise when Blackout shows up.
    Barricade transforming from a bot back into a car.
    Optimus Prime scanning and going to the truck.
    "My Name Is Optimus Prime." (people actually stood and applauded)
    The Autobots meeting up with Bumblebee again.
    The asswhuppin Optimus lays on Bonecrusher.
    Megatron and Starscream's confrontation.
    Optimus rolling in to beat on Megatron's ass.
    Ironhide's barrel roll.
    "One shall stand, one shall fall."
    Optimus saving Sam.
    The end of the film.

I remember shouting "FUCK SPIDER-MAN 3, FUCK SHREK 3, FUCK DIE HARD, FUCK GRINDHOUSE, FUCK HOT FUZZ, FUCK KNOCKED UP! THAT MOVIE JUST OWNED ALL OF THEM!!! MICHAEL BAY YOU ARE FORGIVEN FOR PEARL HARBOR!!!!!!"

Best. Crowd. Ever.

I didn't actually get to see it opening night, or in theaters at all. I thought it was just some stupid fad that my sisters boyfriend was into. Then, a friend of me sent me a bootleg version of it online and I watched it before work one day. I was cheering through the whole thing, and actually almost cried when Bee was caught. (I really did cry when I was watching it with my dad. He thought I was a nut.) I loved it so much, I went out and bought the DVD the day it came out. It's the special edition one that transforms. My mom thinks I'm a total dork.
    They call me Ratchet Girl for a reasonl.
    Yeah, I'm a girl...SO FREAKING WHAT????
    I will always love Ratchet. Don't even try to take my title.

July 2, 2007

I was actually planning on seeing on the 4th, until I checked my email and saw the offer/advertisement for the July 2nd showing.

So off my brother and I went, after calling ahead and ordering our tickets, and arrived about five minutes before the previews started. We got into the theater and looked at how packed it was, I remember thinking "Oh, sh*t. Everyone's got that damn buffer-seat thing going!" Luckily, when we were going up and down the side aisles, we found a double buffer-seat dead center of the screen and optimal viewing level. Perfect.

And yeah, our theater's reaction was pretty much the same as everyone else's. And it was glorious.
    vereor nox noctis incendia!

July 2, 2007

Got my ticket a week before the advanced screening.
    First dude in line, last one to leave the theater.
    Lots of Grown men playing with their G1 Optimus primes and Starscreams, the new toys also. Lots of cheering throughout the film. Lots of "ooohs" and "aaahhhs" when they were showing the cars, especially the camaro.
    And there was alot of clapping, screaming, and cheering when people heard "My name is Optimus Prime".

Took the gf to see it. I was a HUGE TF fan when I was a kid, and was so excited I could hardly contain myself. Got there an hour before the movie started opening night. Got good seats. Some guy came in wearing that optimus prime helmet that makes noises, and the place went nuts.

When optimus was narrating at the beginning, I got chills down my spine. The whole blackout scene at the beginning, was nuts, and I remember thinking, that is one of the best movie openings EVER. I think alot of people thought the same thing. People were cheering at the right times, it was awesome to say the least.

And you can be darned sure that I will be there opening night for TF2!

I saw it a few days after opening night. I went with my friend and his wife and kid. They got into some argument and she ended up staying in the parking lot or something. it ruined the movie for him, but I enjoyed it. I think the little kid enjoyed the Animated movie more.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."