Thread: Its so hard to compare Michael Bay movies

Default Its so hard to compare Michael Bay movies

I was reading the other thread about The Rock and it reminded me how I always tell people that The Rock is my all time favorite action movie.

But then I find myself watching Transformers again and again and again. I saw it 9 times in the theater and I watched it on DVD today and I probably could see it on DVD tomorrow if I had time to.

This really isn't a thread about ranking your favorite Bay film in order of favorite.

I'm basically wondering how people like Bay's films and what makes each one better than the other when you compare them.

I feel like when I try to compare the Rock to Transformers, its like comparing Bad Boys 1 to Bad Boys 2.

The Rock overall, as a package is better than Transformers because it not only offers great intense action but the story and characters are what drive the film. The dialogue and chemistry between the characters is also a delight to watch.

Transformers on the other hand have lots of characters, Shia is really great but what we're really waiting for is for the Transformers to appear on screen. Thus it is a visually driven movie.

When I compare Bad Boys 1 to Bad Boys 2. Its so hard to say which is better. BB1 had better chemistry between the characters and I felt was funnier and had more charm. BB2, I tell people I love alot because it was the action that drove the movie. The chemistry between Mike and Marcus was less in the sequel but the action department is just insane.

I finished watching BB1 with a sense of satisfaction. However BB2 had crazy action scenes but when I left the theater, I felt I was in a little bit of denial asking myself, does the non-stop action make up for the lack of character and story depth? I enjoyed the hell out of the action but why do I still feel a little empty inside?

Its weird because I felt the Island was Michael Bay's best movie to date because it was his most thought provoking film but the centerpiece of the film is where all the action takes place. Its not a action driven film.

Every time Michael Bay comes out with a new film, I always tell myself that I love his newest film the most. But I guess thats because I'm used to watching his older films that watching something new makes it more fresh in your mind.

I know that I'm probably gonna end up saying that TF2 is the best movie ever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I love all his films equally but differently.

The Rock is my all time favorite action film when I compare it to other action films from other directors. But I'd say that Transformers is my favorite Michael Bay film.

How many people have a hard time knowing whether they truly like BB1 more or BB2 more? I still can't really figure out which one I like more because I can't decide which I appreciate more, the story and character element of the first one or the exciting action scenes of the 2nd one. Because ultimately, I thought the most enjoyable scenes in BB1 are the scenes where Martin Lawrence and Will Smith were exchanging dialogue. I like BB2 for the complete opposite reason though.

Default Re: Its so hard to compare Michael Bay movies

When I saw The Island for the first time it was my favorite, and then when I saw Transformers the first time that one became my favorite. Fast forward 6 months later and I'd have a different answer. Now I think I'm down to Armageddon and The Rock. Nostalgia has final say as some people say, and I was 10 (maybe 11) when I saw Armageddon and 12 when I first saw The Rock. I don't think I'll ever grow tired of watching them either - actually I'm willing to say they only grow stronger over the years. The more emotional scenes in Armageddon gets to me more now then they did when I was 11 (And I'm not afraid to admit it either, so sue me you bastards ) and I've seen a lot of action flicks since then and The Rock is definitely one of the very best... like ever.

About BB and BB2 - I prefer the first one. The second one is probably Michael's weakest in terms of directing. It's a pretty uneven film to be honest with you. It doesn't got a script, just a very thin plot of once again cops taking down drug dealers. It's structure is action set piece, comedy, action set piece, comedy, action set piece, comedy... It's right on a tie with Pearl as his weakest. Pearl aims higher so it might be more of a "failure", but it does have great music, amazing cinematography and some of those Bay-ish moments I know and love

And I hate the score to BB2. Temp-score is a ugly, ugly word Would have been great to have Mark Mancina back updating his music from the first one. I dig the score for BB but it's pretty dated, sounding very mid-90's, so I bit of an update would have been nice. But it didn't happen and we got that awful temp music.

I loved Bad Boys 2 for sheer insanity of it. It was extremely funny, slick, the action was just OTT and it never let up from start from end. Bad Boys was more character driven and remains one of Bays best. The Island is under-rated in my opinion. Its different to anything Bay had taken on before and it really works. . I think Pearl Harbour is his weakest because I felt he got the balance of action, humour and romance wrong, it didnt quite work. Transformers was just brilliant, the balance was right and it was damn good fun

But it is hard to compare Bays movies, they all have such great qualities.
    "To the Believer, no proof is necessary...To the non-Believer, no proof is possible."

i love bad boys 2
    it is actioned packed and has alot of comedy
    one of my favorite movies

I compare his flicks like this:

Bad Boys - One of the best buddy cop movies out there. Some of it's a stretch, but Martin and Will make it work. Plus, given the limited budget it allowed Bay to be more creative.

The Rock - Probably still Bay's best work. It has everything. Action, drama, great acting and some really neat directing on Bay's part. One of the best parts is the villain isn't one dimensional.

Armageddon - Yes it's absolutely ridiculous and yes it would have been easier to train astronauts to drill. However, this is a big-budgeted B-movie and going in with that mentality makes it work. This film was never meant to be taken seriously, even if it tries super hard to be serious. Undoubtedly has the best music of any of Michael's flicks. It's thanks to the music, some of these scenes stay with me.

Pearl Harbor - Most of you are going to jump down my shit on this one but I do not care. I hate this film. There's a battle scene in there, but it's tough to even care when the first hour and a half is spent on useless drivel. For all it's wrong doing, Titanic at least made us care about Jack and Rose. Pearl spends the first hour and a half not trying to make us care, but forcing us to care about Rafe and Evelyn because they're our leads. That's not Bay's fault, it's Randal Wallace's. What Bay did wrong (aside from making this film in the first place) was trying to make this story an entertainment piece. Films like Black Hawk Down and Platoon are entertaining sure, but they also show us what hell war is. All Pearl Harbor did was tell us the attack was an inconvenience for three people sorting out their love triangle. We wouldn't need a narration at the end explaining the last three hours of torture was so important if the film was actually that good. Pearl Harbor is poorly written, poorly acted, and poorly directed and fails as an important piece of cinema.

Bad Boys II - Bay being Bay, and that's why this one is so 'awesome' (.) Always sees constant play in my DVD or PSP. It's not the best film ever made, but it doesn't try to be. Just as good, if not better than the first.

The Island - In my opinion, had this been more successful I think Bay would have done more ambitious projects. I had to warm up to this one (I didn't care for it at first) but over time I see that's it's actually pretty decent. It was Michael Bay trying something different and for the most part, he succeeded in the first half. The second half becomes a blockbuster which isn't bad, but it just feels different than the first half. Both halves aren't bad at all, but it makes this just a little uneven. I do believe they were screwed in the marketing (thanks for spoiling the film) and that one day it will find it's audience. This is more of the Bay that needs to be seen (the one that will take projects such as this.) The score is incredible as well.

Transformers - Technically, it's one of the best films ever made. Anyone complaining about the effects needs to be pistol whipped. Again like Armageddon, this was never meant to be taken seriously. It holds up well on repeat viewings and was the event movie of last summer (the only summer movie that was better was The Bourne Ultimatum.) Shia made a lot of this work and was probably the best choice for Sam. Oh, and thank you for all the geek out moments Mr. Bay.

So there ya have it. I rank 'em like this:

The Rock
    Bad Boys
    Bad Boys II
    Armageddon
    Transformers
    The Island
    The one movie about the Japanese attack

Quote Originally Posted by halofan1 View Post
    Yes it's absolutely ridiculous and yes it would have been easier to train astronauts to drill.
    It's funny how certain critics liked to point that out as if the Bay, Bruckheimer and their scriptwriters didn't understand that. It wasn't the point. It was supposed to be a movie where the average joe working class men stepped up and saved our planet. That's what the movie was about, really. Wouldn't be the same with NASA's top trained, elite astronauts. So regardless of what some people say, it's not a plot-hole and whatnot, it was a decision, and as you say HaloFan it isn't a serious film. Bay himself has said it was more of a fantasy where the average working glass guy saved the world and became heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
    It's funny how certain critics liked to point that out as if the Bay, Bruckheimer and their scriptwriters didn't understand that. It wasn't the point. It was supposed to be a movie where the average joe working class men stepped up and saved our planet. That's what the movie was about, really. Wouldn't be the same with NASA's top trained, elite astronauts. So regardless of what some people say, it's not a plot-hole and whatnot, it was a decision, and as you say HaloFan it isn't a serious film. Bay himself has said it was more of a fantasy where the average working glass guy saved the world and became heroes.
    Exactly, and in some ways it wouldn't have worked with that plot if it was super serious (see Deep Impact.)

The way I look at his movies is thus:

Bad Boys - liked it, repeat viewings
    Bad Boys 2 - liked it, repeat viewings
    Armageddon - liked it but less repeat viewings than BB1&2
    The Island - Its alright, not one I'd watch over and over again.
    The Rock - Again its alright but I'd watch it less than The Island.
    Transformers - I'd watch it about as much as I'd watch The Rock.
    Pearl Harbor - Seen it once, can't really judge it but I remember not liking it.