I spent over a year anxious to see this movie and when it came out I was there opening night, with my kids. Then, a few nights later with my kids and my friend and his kid. I saw it 3 times in theaters and about 3 more times on DVD. I loved the movie, but it was so different from the G1 plot that I was very disappointed.
Am I the only one who didn't like most of the changes made in the 2007 TF movie? Let me elaborate...
- The Allspark. This is a completely NEW concept to the TF. In the G1 series the focus was on getting Energon cubes to power the Decepticons thirst for domination. The allspark comes along as a live giving giant cube that transforms into a tiny little cube, and electrocutes any machinery into insane evil robots. Ridiculous.
- Choosing Alt modes on the fly. Teletraan 1 selected alt modes and actually spent TIME to BUILD/Repair the robots to become those alt modes. How it is that these robots can change their hardware while driving down the street, and then repaint and wash themselves? If you're shooting for realism, you missed.
- If the robots transformed into meteor/asteroid/spaceships to get to earth... then surely they could do that again and leave. The movie gives the impression that they're stranded.
- The Matrix of Leadership goes into their chests, not a cube.
- The Decepticons in the original series did not talk like monsters like the MB flick. It's so weak to make them less intelligent like that. The constant bickering between Megatron and Starscream was great and there is virtually no dialog in the new movie.
- Taking out Soundwave in the first movie was absent minded. Bring him back with a vocoder.
- Megatron is not Megatron without Frank. Nuf said on that one.
- The transformation sequences were shot too close to the action to get a good grip/feel of the transformations. Pan out next time.
- In the next movie, when there is a battle happening, don't forget about all the characters on the set - they vanished and reappeared for the ending. WTF?
Disclaimer: I only watched the G1, G2 and G3 cartoons. I only had the toys that were available in Canada. The comics and international stuff has not played a part, so if what I dislike about the TF 2007 movie is sourced from those places, I stand corrected.
I hope the sequel is better.