Thread: Ben Affleck on Armageddon DVD Commentary

Default Ben Affleck on Armageddon DVD Commentary

Most of the time, I don't really like group commentaries on DVDs because the cast and crew just end up talking to each other. But then later I found out that each commentator on the DVD was recorded separately and then spliced together based on relevancy of the scene.

I would have to say that Ben Affleck really added nothing to the the commentary. All he did was poke fun at the other actors and made annoying impressions of his cast mates. His Billy Bob Thornton Sling Blade impressions were so unnecessary

Bruce Willis sounded like he was half asleep and talked very little.

Anyways, I thought that out of all the commentaries I've listened to from the Michael Bay DVDs, Ben Affleck should've not have been included in it.

I don't mind him in the movie but he didn't contribute to anything that sounded interesting enough to make it worth listening to him.

Default Re: Ben Affleck on Armageddon DVD Commentary

He didn't really contribute much in terms of film making. But he was fun to listen to.
    I've always defended Michael Bay against attacks that his films are full of stupid explosions, girls in underwear and mindless characters... but then he made Transformers 2 and I conceded...

I love that commentary to pieces. It is high-larious.

And if he doesn't contribute, how can we make fun of him while sitting at home on my couch, MST3K-style? ("Actually Ben, there's a North, South and Latin or Central America bringing the grand total up to three or four...") Hee-hee.... Love It!
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

All of Bay's commentaries are really good actually. Very informative because he gives a really good balance of behind-the-scenes information, real life facts, and funny production stories.

There is not one commentary that is better or worse than the other, they are just perfect (on Michael Bay's part)

Ben Affleck most of the time just says "hey look! there's me! Hey look! There's Billy Bob!! Oh here's the part where I do a stunt. That was me!!"

He's just having fun with the film. Not taking it too seriously.... which is great!
    I've always defended Michael Bay against attacks that his films are full of stupid explosions, girls in underwear and mindless characters... but then he made Transformers 2 and I conceded...

Quote Originally Posted by kevski View Post
    He's just having fun with the film. Not taking it too seriously.... which is great!
    Affleck really seemed to get the movie. In that, he understand that it was supposed to be fun. Willis gets some goofy cracks in on the commentary, too. It really puzzles me why Bruce Willis was such a grouch after the fact. Probably the same grumpy old man effect that made him into suddenly veer over in right-wing conservative territory (EXACTLY like John Wayne did!)...

This makes me wonder how they're going to do the Blu Ray edition. The Criterion edition is unusual and the commentary runs over an extended version of the film.
    Last edited by redqueenar; 05-16-2008 at 08:11 PM.

I like the Trans. commentary alot, and what's with no comm. on the BB2 disc?? I realized there wasn't one recently and was VERY let down. I've listened to all of them except the Island's comm. Or maybe i have heard the Islands......hmmmm. Oh, of course i haven't listened to the PH comm. because, erm, um, yea i didn't care for that film.
    My Fav Bay -
    1. The Rock
    2. Bad Boys 2
    3. Transformers
    4. Bad Boys
    5. The Island
    6. Armageddon
    7. Pearl Harbor

Quote Originally Posted by Chemical Superfreak View Post
    I like the Trans. commentary alot, and what's with no comm. on the BB2 disc?? I realized there wasn't one recently and was VERY let down. I've listened to all of them except the Island's comm. Or maybe i have heard the Islands......hmmmm. Oh, of course i haven't listened to the PH comm. because, erm, um, yea i didn't care for that film.
    Dude, you should give those commentaries a chance. Especially the Bay/Jeanine Basinger (which is Bay's film school teacher and a major film historian) track - which actually makes you appreciate the film more and see what they were trying to with it.

I think Ben Affleck is a lot of fun in the commentary to Armageddon and Pearl btw.

Oh, i'm not avoiding the Island commentary track, i just have yet to listen to it. But i don't, and won't, own PH. Ever.
    My Fav Bay -
    1. The Rock
    2. Bad Boys 2
    3. Transformers
    4. Bad Boys
    5. The Island
    6. Armageddon
    7. Pearl Harbor

Quote Originally Posted by Chemical Superfreak View Post
    Oh, i'm not avoiding the Island commentary track, i just have yet to listen to it. But i don't, and won't, own PH. Ever.
    So rent it, silly! And definitely listen to the Island. Good stories on that one. I was a bit puzzled when Bay was signed on to direct 2012: War For Souls because it would have been "another" clone movie and you can practically hear him tearing his hair out when he talks about the nightmarish technical aspects of Lincoln and Tom being in the same room AND TOUCHING EACH OTHER on the commentary for The Island! Good stuff.

Well, my dad owns it, so why would i rent it? and no, the point is, i don't want to see PH again. Ever. Even if the movie is muted while Bay talks bout the movie. Sorry. Definitely not happening.
    My Fav Bay -
    1. The Rock
    2. Bad Boys 2
    3. Transformers
    4. Bad Boys
    5. The Island
    6. Armageddon
    7. Pearl Harbor

Quote Originally Posted by redqueenar View Post
    So rent it, silly! And definitely listen to the Island. Good stories on that one. I was a bit puzzled when Bay was signed on to direct 2012: War For Souls because it would have been "another" clone movie and you can practically hear him tearing his hair out when he talks about the nightmarish technical aspects of Lincoln and Tom being in the same room AND TOUCHING EACH OTHER on the commentary for The Island! Good stuff.
    I agree. That is a great commentary. Alot of funny and entertaining information. It really opens your eyes about how much of a challenge it was to make the scene with Ewen and Ewen happen.

I also like how he defends product placement in the Island. What he says is true about the world today. There is tonnes of advertising everywhere and now that they're in the future, it doesn't mean that there's going to be any less of it.

Quote Originally Posted by darthrage View Post
    I also like how he defends product placement in the Island. What he says is true about the world today. There is tonnes of advertising everywhere and now that they're in the future, it doesn't mean that there's going to be any less of it.
    He shouldn't even have to defend product placement. That's one thing I have never and will never understand the negative buzz on. For me, whenever a critic talks about how it's riddled with product placement and is like a 2 hour long commercial (like some said of Transformers) I just think that critic has run out of ideas. This might be OT but I believe a critic going to a Bay-film in the year 2007 has pre-concieved notion that it will suck, they want it to suck, they go to see it with a negative mindset and when the end credits roll they have to find specific reasons why it's so obnoxious and stupid. When it comes to Transformers all they come up with was that it was loud, it was dumb, it was like a commercial and it was downright boring, and the now classic "You couldn't see nor hear anything!".

Quote Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
    He shouldn't even have to defend product placement. That's one thing I have never and will never understand the negative buzz on. For me, whenever a critic talks about how it's riddled with product placement and is like a 2 hour long commercial (like some said of Transformers) I just think that critic has run out of ideas. This might be OT but I believe a critic going to a Bay-film in the year 2007 has pre-concieved notion that it will suck, they want it to suck, they go to see it with a negative mindset and when the end credits roll they have to find specific reasons why it's so obnoxious and stupid. When it comes to Transformers all they come up with was that it was loud, it was dumb, it was like a commercial and it was downright boring, and the now classic "You couldn't see nor hear anything!".

Yeah, that's because they're looking for the wrong things. I don't understand the uproar, either. The Island is very well-suited to product placement because it actually contributes to The Major Theme of The Movie, hel-lo?? The Island is a great parable about 21st century America, a world in which we are All Products and celebrity has destroyed the true purpose of individuality.

And how the hell do you make a movie about cars in the 21st century and not declare the make 'n models? People are going to recognize the vehicles, anyway, so why shouldn't the director shave some money off his budget by letting them carry their decals?

There's half a bag of Reese's Pieces sitting on my desk right now. I have perspective.