Thread: Plot Hole or let the audience think?? (The Island related)

Default Plot Hole or let the audience think?? (The Island related)

I really liked The Island. Out of all of Michael Bay's films, I felt that the Island was the most deep and though provoking of them all while keeping the it feeling like a Summer Blockbuster.

Anyways, alot of people whom I talked to raised the question which they felt was a plot hole. And that question was "well what happens to the sponsors? Do they just die? They should've explained that."

How do you guys feel about this?

I honestly felt that this question did not need to be answered in the movie. It would be better to leave it up to the audience to think about and discuss but my personal opinion about this matter is that, the Agnates/Clones deserve to live because they are breathing, living souls just like anyone else and money shouldn't be able to determine whether one should be able to live longer. Fate or destiny, rather, tells you how long you are supposed to live and they should let that take its course. The concept that people can attempt to live longer than they should is just toying with nature.

I'm not saying the sponsors deserve to die and the clones deserve to live but now that they clones are free, the sponsors are to let destiny and fate take its course.

Default Re: Plot Hole or let the audience think?? (The Island related)

Well... that's not a plot hole... just happends after the movie. It's another story.

But i don't think that "they just die".

It's like in "Star Wars" trilogy, they don't say what happends to the rest of the imperial forces after the second death star is destroyed. It's not part of the movie.

And "fate and destiny" do not say anything. They are just human illusions created due to we are not brave enough to fave the real world.

We get old and die due to a cellular copy malfunction wich (they are now studying that) may be fixed in not so many years, without the need of killing anyone to do it.

yeah we don't know what happens to them and it doesn't really need to be explained because now that Merrick's company is gone, we know that their clones are off running around thus if ever they need a transplant of any of kind, they're kind of screwed. So they'll have to let nature take its course.

If it's their time to die, then it's their time. They weren't meant to live forever. That's destiny for them.

Quote Originally Posted by darthrage View Post
    If it's their time to die, then it's their time. They weren't meant to live forever. That's destiny for them.
    But not all of them where old. Look at the woman who get the child ¿why would she die?

Quote Originally Posted by darthrage View Post
    I really liked The Island. Out of all of Michael Bay's films, I felt that the Island was the most deep and though provoking of them all while keeping the it feeling like a Summer Blockbuster.

Anyways, alot of people whom I talked to raised the question which they felt was a plot hole. And that question was "well what happens to the sponsors? Do they just die? They should've explained that."

How do you guys feel about this?

I honestly felt that this question did not need to be answered in the movie. It would be better to leave it up to the audience to think about and discuss but my personal opinion about this matter is that, the Agnates/Clones deserve to live because they are breathing, living souls just like anyone else and money shouldn't be able to determine whether one should be able to live longer. Fate or destiny, rather, tells you how long you are supposed to live and they should let that take its course. The concept that people can attempt to live longer than they should is just toying with nature.

I'm not saying the sponsors deserve to die and the clones deserve to live but now that they clones are free, the sponsors are to let destiny and fate take its course.
    Then again, it's possible that someone with enough money to afford an agnate (and a small enough sense of human decency to purchase one, still knowing what it is) will hire someone even more talented and vicious than Djimon Hounsou to get their agnate back...

Just PM me and I'll tell you where to mail the check.

It's science fiction, m'boy! Anything is possible!
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

Quote Originally Posted by redqueenar View Post
    Then again, it's possible that someone with enough money to afford an agnate (and a small enough sense of human decency to purchase one, still knowing what it is) will hire someone even more talented and vicious than Djimon Hounsou to get their agnate back...
    that is only if the government will allow the Merrick Corporation to continue after knowing that they are killing clones

I LOVE THE ISLAND!

I think that the clones were out there to live in the world and in a real life.
    the world and the Government discovered what Merrick was doing, so the sponsors must have "lost" their Investment on the agnates.

I don't think that later in time, the sponsors killed the clones to get their organs for transplants. I don't feel like anyone or the government would let them do something like that, even if they did pay for it, because that is against the laws anyway. the clones were let to live a normal life. maybe if a sponsor had good feelings, he may adopted his clone, or something, if he felt sorry or compassion for the clone.

and I don't feel that the sponsors should die because of beeing sponsors or the clones should die because of beeing clones. every person should die when their time comes. and a clone is still a person, don't matter what.

and I know how you feel about the movie

because I kinda feel the same way

I like it so much that I wish a second part of the movie or something.
    I wish I had all the answers to the questions I have about the movie xD

anyway, I guess that a second part will not happen, even if we want to know if lincoln and jordan get married, had kids, where did the choose for living, and all of other questions. It's a movie so it's fiction, of couse we want more like every person that likes one random movie in special, but that's the way it is and well we are here trying to find out xD and even If I know that a second part may not going to happen, I still want it

whatever, I love the movie too, and i know that a lot of people that has seen the movie likes it a lot too I'm sure about it.

Greetings!

-Sergio-

Last edited by [Sergio Hilton]; 05-26-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by [Sergio Hilton] View Post
    ...even if we want to know if lincoln and jordan get married, had kids, where did the choose for living, and all of other questions.
    You’ve got to be kidding….

If they decide to make a sequel to THE ISLAND, I sincerely hope this is not going to be the main synopsis.

Quote Originally Posted by haut_bas_clair View Post
    You’ve got to be kidding….

If they decide to make a sequel to THE ISLAND, I sincerely hope this is not going to be the main synopsis.

really, why?

what are u talking about?

I don't get you :S

what do u want it to be or what is it wrong about it? xD

Quote Originally Posted by [Sergio Hilton] View Post

really, why?

what are u talking about?

I don't get you :S

what do u want it to be or what is it wrong about it? xD

Don't get me wrong, THE ISLAND is my favorite.

But "Did Lincoln and Jordan get married? Did they have kids? And where did they choose to live?" is not a reason good enough to make a sequel... especially with what happened at the end THE ISLAND.

We could have expected a storyline along the way of the TV show "4400". How do you get the clones rehabilitated in the society : More meaningful and deeper.

But you know what, as you said: The sequel will indeed most likely never happen.

OOH OK I see

anyway, yes I know the questions I made are not "deep enough" to make a movie, but I still want to know that

huahahah

cheers.

=D

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by haut_bas_clair View Post
    Don't get me wrong, THE ISLAND is my favorite.

But "Did Lincoln and Jordan get married? Did they have kids? And where did they choose to live?" is not a reason good enough to make a sequel... especially with what happened at the end THE ISLAND.

We could have expected a storyline along the way of the TV show "4400". How do you get the clones rehabilitated in the society : More meaningful and deeper.

But you know what, as you said: The sequel will indeed most likely never happen.

LOL I actually liked the "4400" series. Thought it was quite interesting thought it was short lived and all.

I do have to agree with you that I don't see a sequel coming out of this movie at all. The movie ended with the "Island" pretty much being destroyed. What are they going to do.. create another island? open up the same facility and do it all over again? Highly unlikely. This would just make for a really dumb movie.

maybe there's no way to invent another merrick biotech and another lie about the island.. maybe a movie just about what lincoln and jordan did after they were free
    I'ld absolutely watch it!