Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sag

Banned

Default Re: Sag

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    Ummm...aren't a lot of things "state mandated" in this country? How about school? Oh and how about our highway system? And how about mail?!! Uncle Sam's got first dibs on that.
    School is not mandated. A person can go to a private school, a state school, or be home schooled. A person can choose to graduate early, or drop out of school, or get a GED for school. *Edit* It depends on how you look at the mandation of school. If you are referring to the curriculum then its mandated by the state school board for city schools. If its a private school or home schooled, then theres a general guideline of things to learn. If you wish to get a college degree then some programs are mandated while others are optional. College degrees are not mandated. They are just looked well upon by employers since they look at it with the thinking you have a general idea of what you should know for the job.

Highway systems are of course mandated by the government but are also given input by the public as far as where to build them. As well as they have to get permission to buy the land from owners to build highways there.

The mail is only mandated if you choose to send mail by the USPS. Otherwise you can send things by FedEX, UPS or other such services. You can also choose to email a person instead of using paper mail.
    Last edited by Smokescreen_5; 05-15-2008 at 07:25 PM.

Damn beej, you touched his button...

I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

Yes Beej has.

Ooooookay then, perhaps I ought to reword that. These are "state supplied services".

I live in the Adirondack Park, can't cut a stick of wood on state land as it it forever wild. Then there is the APA, a state created organization that controls building and developement in the Adirondacks. Do I oppress? No, I support. It's the state that has made my hometown an awesome place to live, no congestion and pollution here in the Adirondacks, only the trees, mountains, culture, unique towns, and the nice locals. I also plan on getting a state job in the future.

Banned

Yes Beej has.

Ooooookay then, perhaps I ought to reword that. These are "state supplied services".

I live in the Adirondack Park, can't cut a stick of wood on state land as it it forever wild. Then there is the APA, a state created organization that controls building and developement in the Adirondacks. Do I oppress? No, I support. It's the state that has made my hometown an awesome place to live, no congestion and pollution here in the Adirondacks, only the trees, mountains, culture, unique towns, and the nice locals. I also plan on getting a state job in the future.
    This reminds me of a letter I once read... here.. I'll let you read it for yourself:

This is a copy of an actual letter sent to Ryan DeVries, from the
    Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, State of Michigan. Wait
    till you read this guy's response - but read the entire letter before
    you get to the response.

Mr. Ryan DeVries
    2088 Dagget
    Pierson, MI 49339
    SUBJECT: DEQ File No. 97-59-0023; T11N; R10W, Sec. 20;

Site Location: Montcalm County

Dear Mr. DeVries:

It has come to the attention of the Department of Environmental Quality
    that there has been recent unauthorized activity on the above referenced
    parcel of property. You have been certified as the legal landowner
    and/or contractor who did the following unauthorized activity:

Construction and maintenance of two wood debris dams across the outlet
    stream of Spring Pond.

A permit must be issued prior to the start of this type of activity. A
    review of the Department's files shows that no permits have been issued.

Therefore, the Department has determined that this activity is in
    violation of Part 301, Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural Resource
    and Environmental Protection Act, Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994,
    being sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the Michigan Compiled Laws
    annotated.

The Department has been informed that one or both of the dams partially
    failed during a recent rain event, causing debris and flooding at
    downstream locations. We find that dams of this nature are inherently
    hazardous and cannot be permitted.

The Department therefore orders you to cease and desist all activities
    at this location, and to restore the stream to a free-flow condition by
    removing all wood and brush forming the dams from the stream channel.
    All restoration work shall be completed no later than January 31, 2002.

Please notify this office when the restoration has been completed so
    that a follow-up site inspection may be scheduled by our staff. Failure
    to comply with this request or any further unauthorized activity on the
    site may result in this case being referred for elevated enforcement
    action.

We anticipate and would appreciate your full cooperation in this matter.
    Please feel free to contact me at this office if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
    David L. Price
    District Representative
    Land and Water Management Division
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RESPONSE:

Dear Mr. Price,

Re: DEQ File No. 97-59-0023; T11N; R10W, Sec. 20;
    Montcalm County

Reference your certified letter dated 12/17/2000 has been referred to me
    to respond to. First of all, Mr. Ryan De Vries is not the legal
    landowner and/or contractor at 2088 Dagget, Pierson, Michigan.

I am the legal owner and a couple of beavers are in the (State
    unauthorized) process of constructing and maintaining two wood "debris"
    dams across the outlet stream of my Spring Pond.

While I did not pay for, authorize, nor supervise their dam project, I
    think they would be highly offended that you call their skillful use of
    natural building materials "debris." I would like to challenge your
    department to attempt to emulate their dam project any time and/or any
    place you choose. I believe I can safely state there is no way you could
    ever match their dam skills, their dam resourcefulness, their dam
    ingenuity, their dam persistence, their dam determination and/or their
    dam work ethic.

As to your request, I do not think the beavers are aware that they must
    first fill out a dam permit prior to the start of this type of dam
    activity. My first dam question to you is:
    (1) Are you trying to discriminate against my Spring Pond Beavers? or,
    (2) do you require all beavers throughout this State to conform to said
    dam request?

If you are not discriminating against these particular beavers, through
    the Freedom of Information Act I request completed copies of all those
    other applicable beaver dam permits that have been issued. Perhaps we
    will see if there really is a dam violation of P! art 301, Inland Lakes
    and Streams, of the Natural Resource and Environmental Protection Act,
    Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections 324.3010,1 to
    324.30113 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, annotated. I have several
    concerns. My first concern is aren't the beavers entitled to legal
    representation?

The Spring Pond Beavers are financially destitute and are unable to pay
    for said representation - so the State will have to provide them with a
    lawyer.

The Department's dam concern that either one or both of the dams failed
    during a recent rain event causing flooding is proof that this is a
    natural occurrence, which the Department is required to protect. In
    other words, we should leave the Spring Pond Beavers alone rather than
    harrass them and call their dam names. If you want the stream "restored"
    to a dam free-flow condition - please contact the beavers - but if you
    are going to arrest them they obviously did not pay any attention to
    your dam letter (being unable to read English).

In my humble ! opinion, the Spring Pond Beavers have a right to build
    their unauthorized dams as long as the sky is blue, the grass is green
    and water flows downstream. They have more dam right than I do to live
    and enjoy Spring Pond. If the Department of Natural Resources and
    Environmental Protection lives up to its name, it should protect the
    natural resources
    (Beavers) and the environment (Beavers' Dams).

So, as far as the beavers and I are concerned, this dam case can be
    referred for more elevated enforcement action right now. Why wait until
    1/31/2002 The Spring Pond Beavers may be under the dam ice then, and
    there will be no way for you or your dam staff to contact/harass them
    then.

In conclusion, I would like to bring to your attention a real
    environmental quality (health) problem in the area. It is the bears.
    Bears are actually defecating in our woods. I definitely believe you
    should be persecuting the defecating bears and leave the beavers alone.

If you are going to investigate the beaver dam, watch your step! (The
    bears are not careful where they dump!)

Being unable to comply with your dam request, and being unable to
    contact you on your answering machine, I am sending this response to
    your office via another government organization - the USPS. Maybe,
    someday, it will get there.

Sincerely,
    Stephen L. Tvedten
    The University of Texas at: Austin
    Office Community Relations/Accounting unit
    P.O. Box 7367
    Austin, TX 78713

Haha beavers! Yep, the beavers have the right, humans, still can't cut a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbay View Post
    Oh my god. SAG wants more than Directors and Writers? That's a smart tactic I guess. When are people going to understand, most importantly actors - we are at war - we are facing a major recession - our country is in dire need of being fixed - our country also has no money because we have given trillions to the Iraq war and we have NOT even started to pay for it - it is just paid right now by printing more money on presses - China owns our ass in every way. Why not strike on a business in a down fall. Just like the writer's they made pennies on the four extra months striking - when you do the real math and they are paying the price for it still - so many writer's out of work still!!! I want this business to thrive - I know the studio heads and they will punish those that defy them. Okay, be an idealist - but you will never get a better deal then the writer's or directors - only the same - the studio's will never allow it, don't kid yourself. The working actors don't want a strike - they have said so. Too many non working actors have a say which is crazy - maybe there are just too many actors?? Gosh I'm even a member of SAG, but I don't feel I've earned the right to vote in this guild.

One hunch, the leaders of these guilds seem to like the limelight they get in the press, it becomes more about the ego in the room rather than something smart. Striking is not smart. Through the history in America, strikes in businesses have only gained the union worker 6% at the max - so take the emotion out of it and go for the 6%. A path to strike is not smart for the the hundreds of thousands of people in this business. Sanity needs to prevail here - talk real and talk the same talk as your union brothers - not more!
    As a working actor myself I would HATE to have a strike. I am just now thinking of joining in the guild, and was going to join up right before the writer's strike. Then there was the rumor. Crossing a guild line is career suicide. You are right in saying everything you posted.

Why, or have you, given thought to pulling a Robert Redford, and working on developing new talent outside of the studio system? The Hollywood machine has 1% of actors actually making "real" money. Check out an area like Shreveport Louisiana. It is growing, and smaller production companies are coming up. Saddly with the studios it is hard to get wide distribution for independent films, and that trickles down to the actors that are in those film. It makes it hard. Now a days it about being lucky or who you know and not talent based. Sad, but true.

So, Mike, do you think you would get any flack if you ever did decide to branch out in a "Sundance" way?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post
    But hey, this strike will give directors a chance to find new talent.

*hides under desk*

But yeah, the demands are outstanding.
    Yes, and no. Because if you have a film you want it to be SAG related so that you can get insurance for your actors. So it's very hard to get a fil off the ground not using a Guild based system. It's sad. And what Mike said about the outsourcing, and printing money to pay for things. China does own us. And add to that we will most likely be at war with them in 10+ years. American Economics are in the shitter, and we are just encouraged to go shopping with our 600$ rebate check.

G.W.: Our economy is in the crapper, but who cares... BEST BUY HAS BD PLAYERS ON SALE!
    The only thing worse than stupid people are stupid people who bother me...
    Bumblebee1983:
    I'm da bomb.
    xXRavenXx:
    I'm Da Bomb... you can be my igniter though **Humms Light My Fire by The Doors** lol
    Bumblebee1983:
    As for being your igniter.....umm.....okay.
    xXRavenXx:
    **Thrilled with BB Raven sings afternoon delight from Anchorman**

Yes Beej has.

Also if you look into getting any state assistance the only way to guarantee it is knock a woman up. Then you can get assistance. Rather than helping people out by giving those who need help and are actually trying to further and better themselves; most of the help goes to those who got pregers at 16, and live off of the government never even trying to get a job.

2008 will be horrible for the Presidency. Dems win and we get higher taxes on an already meager and hard to win in society. Republicans and we will end up with an on going war that will drain us dry. So either way it's a lose lose situation.
    The only thing worse than stupid people are stupid people who bother me...
    Bumblebee1983:
    I'm da bomb.
    xXRavenXx:
    I'm Da Bomb... you can be my igniter though **Humms Light My Fire by The Doors** lol
    Bumblebee1983:
    As for being your igniter.....umm.....okay.
    xXRavenXx:
    **Thrilled with BB Raven sings afternoon delight from Anchorman**

Quote Originally Posted by xXRavenXx View Post
    China does own us. And add to that we will most likely be at war with them in 10+ years. American Economics are in the shitter, and we are just encouraged to go shopping with our 600$ rebate check.
    Hmmm, that would be unfortunate considering we've not had the stomach to see anything like that through since 1945. Guess you better learn the lingo, because we'll be toast seeing how you've got it laid out.

Bay's budgets don't get him that status (i.e., must be micro budgets). Paramount is signatory to SAG, WGA, DGA, IASTE, et., al. The unions and the studios will work through it.

This is the last I shall post on this topic: It's very expensive to live in LA. An actor's fee when they do get a gig, gets shared with an agent (10%), possibly a manager (15%), an attorney (hourly or by retainer...ouch, ouch, ouch) and they also pay for photographer's services (head shots), and lord knows what else, but it's not cheap. They earn the fee they are paid, and as their image is their livelihood, they should be able to say yeah or nay as to who controls that image, or at least if they should be paid for use of said image and if in perpetuity. An actor's career isn't long lived like everyone else's since the world is so enamored with youth. Age and you are done or at least employed less often. And they should have the right to forever vote to protect the rights they earned. Doris Day and her estate deserve the right to vote as to what happens to her image, as do every other actor even if they've not been able to get work for whatever reason in the last couple of years. They earned it, and that right should be preserved. Should anyone ever attempt to take away a director's right or credit for "a film by" status, and you'd see a very different response -- that's an analogy, but I'd stand by the director's right just as much as I stand by the actor's.

I am surprised and amazed at the lack of compassion based on hype and image put forth in the media.
    Last edited by Beej; 05-16-2008 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokescreen_5 View Post
    As far as going back on topic with SAG... ehh.. screw them.. They are making the equivalent of about $3000 an hour. Let them work long hard hours like I do with dirty greasy jobs in dangerous situations where you have to put on Hazmat suits for a measily $14.00 an hour and see if they'd be complaining about their jobs anymore.

Jesus H Christ. Do you think everyone that is a fucking actor is in that league? don't you ever see the "where are they now" where they show some poor one hit wonder from the fucking 80's now working as a security guard, or in jail, or a bum. What the fuck are the actors union rates? $655 per day. That might seem an OK amount but fuck me, when your jobs are far between it ain't shit. I'm in IT and I make nearly that much - 5 days a week, 52 weeks per year. Not just one day per fucking month, after spending 3 fucking days doing fucking auditions for which I get paid shit. All those great character actors you see in films. You see them, and you go yeah he's cool. Try adding up all the fucking times he might appear in a movie every year. Maybe enough to amount to 20 days of work. Try taking 20x$655 and fucking living off that.

It isn't all fucking rosy. I'd seriogsly hate to be an actor on the lower half of the food chain.

if your starting out you would be
    Optimus Prime. Never disappoints... Unlike YOU, Starscream!

Quote Originally Posted by xXRavenXx View Post
    Also if you look into getting any state assistance the only way to guarantee it is knock a woman up. Then you can get assistance. Rather than helping people out by giving those who need help and are actually trying to further and better themselves; most of the help goes to those who got pregers at 16, and live off of the government never even trying to get a job.

2008 will be horrible for the Presidency. Dems win and we get higher taxes on an already meager and hard to win in society. Republicans and we will end up with an on going war that will drain us dry. So either way it's a lose lose situation.
    Babe....that will only benefit the mother and baby, but more the baby. (Trust me, I know, I have a friend who is going through just that)

The father will lose out in benefits. Individual states can't handle that massive number.

And yes, it is a lose lose situation.

And this is soooooo wayyyyyy off topic. What was the original post about again?
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
    Jesus H Christ. Do you think everyone that is a fucking actor is in that league? don't you ever see the "where are they now" where they show some poor one hit wonder from the fucking 80's now working as a security guard, or in jail, or a bum. What the fuck are the actors union rates? $655 per day. That might seem an OK amount but fuck me, when your jobs are far between it ain't shit. I'm in IT and I make nearly that much - 5 days a week, 52 weeks per year. Not just one day per fucking month, after spending 3 fucking days doing fucking auditions for which I get paid shit. All those great character actors you see in films. You see them, and you go yeah he's cool. Try adding up all the fucking times he might appear in a movie every year. Maybe enough to amount to 20 days of work. Try taking 20x$655 and fucking living off that.

It isn't all fucking rosy. I'd seriogsly hate to be an actor on the lower half of the food chain.
    First.. cut down on the swearing.

Second, to address your issue, if they are a one hit wonder, and working at another job, are they still in SAG? Most likely not. If they are in between jobs, are they still looking for another acting job or are they going to traditional work? I know that this doesn't apply to all actors because some try it for a few years and then just stop all together. What I'm more or less referring to, are the actors who are in movies all the time who are still complaining that they aren't making enough. Even if an actor IS in between jobs.. McDonalds is hiring.

Hollywood studios, AFTRA agree on contract pact

By RYAN NAKASHIMA 12 hours ago
    LOS ANGELES (AP) The American Federation of Television and Radio Artists and Hollywood studios have tentatively agreed on a three-year contract, both sides announced Wednesday.
    The deal establishes fees for content streamed and downloaded over the Internet and preserves actors' right of consent on the use of their voices and images in online clips, the union said.
    The agreement over a handful of prime-time TV shows such as "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "Rules of Engagement" will last through June 2011 if it is approved by AFTRA's national board and ratified by members.
    It will be submitted to the board at a meeting June 6-7 in Los Angeles.
    The deal reduces the chance of an actors strike. The larger and more combative of the two actors unions, the 120,000-member Screen Actors Guild, is set to resume its stalled talks with the studios Wednesday.

[Link to Full Article]

Long story short, TV Actors managed a three-year agreement but they weren't negotiating for the same things at SAG. SAG still wants the DVD money.
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman