Thread: Bruckheimer and Bay to Reunite for HBO Drama?

Default Bruckheimer and Bay to Reunite for HBO Drama?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=44677

Variety reports that Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay may reunite for a Warner Bros. TV drama series to air on HBO. The project is loosely based on the 2006 documentary Cocaine Cowboys.

The trade says the series would revolve around the drug trade in Miami in the 1980s. It would focus on the cutthroat world of drug dealers and the Colombian cocaine kingpins who set up shop in the once-sleepy Florida city.

Bruckheimer and Bay, who collaborated on a string of blockbusters in the 1990s including Bad Boys, The Rock and Armageddon, would serve as executive producers.

A deal has not been finalized between HBO and Warners and a writer is not yet attached.

Default Re: Bruckheimer and Bay to Reunite for HBO Drama?

Hmm. Tony Montana redux? He was Cuban, I know, but you can't help but to make the association.

I saw that documentary, Its awesome. It had movie written all over it.

Bruckheimer & Bay could turn this into a hit. It was more like the Johnny Depp movie BLOW then ScarFace. But a lot of material to draw from.

I hope it happens. Always wanted bay to give a had at CSI..... Not that this is exactly the same but...

You can see the doc here.

I'm curious as to see how they're gonna develop this or if it's just going to be Miami Vice 2.

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    You can see the doc here.

I'm curious as to see how they're gonna develop this or if it's just going to be Miami Vice 2.
    In what way? More drama than action?

I'm curious whether it will be told from the criminal's perspective, that would be interesting. But given the way the doc presents it, looks like everybody was on the take, save for a few cops.

Thanks for the link, BTW. Just finished it.

Not for me, Baby!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beej View Post
    If it were to just be Miami Vice 2 they'd not need to get rights on Cocaine Cowboy, but it says "loosely based" so it's all about what they have in mind. I don't see them sytylizing it al la Michael Mann unless they hire Michael Mann to do the series. Is it a pilot and series, or a mini-series? Will it be something like Miami Vice meets Crime Story, or is it Dragnet in Miami or just Bad Boys on TV? Depends on what they want, what gets pitched, and who gets hired. But if it's in the trades, they already know which direction they are going, but Bruckheimer, Bay... I'm thinking you can be assured it'll be good lookin' and sound cool.
    I love this idea. I love everything about this idea... so far.

(And as much as I loved/obsessed/memorized CSI... it's been done for a while. At least for me. I'm ready for a new TV love.)
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman