Thread: Hire This Man!

Banned

Default Hire This Man!

I honestly thought that there would be some boss ass car chases in TF07, how could there not be?

...Anyway this page had a pretty clean bumblebee years ago and now this.

http://www.themichaelsmith.com/animations/TransZ.mpg

seems both sides have half of the equasion, MS here has the feel and style of the Transformers and ILM has the LucasBucks that afford them the LucasTime to sit down light and render the heck out of every part..

Sorry if its a re-post. This guy seems to have it down, if movie TFs were a little more like this and less jigsaw puzzle TF2 could be decent.
    Last edited by S!gma; 04-22-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Banned

Default Re: Hire This Man!

Quote Originally Posted by S!gma View Post
    I honestly thought that there would be some boss ass car chases in TF07, how could there not be?

seems both sides have half of the equasion, MS here has the feel and style of the Transformers and ILM has the LucasBucks so sit down light and render the heck out of every part..

Sorry if its a re-post. This guy seems to have it down, if movie TFs were a little more like this and less jigsaw puzzle TF2 could be decent.
    Wow... that is really cool!

that was awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone from IMDB
    Why does Will Smith always play a black man?

My Blu-ray collection.

That caught me off guard. I didn't know what to expect - that's really sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by S!gma View Post

seems both sides have half of the equasion, MS here has the feel and style of the Transformers and ILM has the LucasBucks that afford them the LucasTime to sit down light and render the heck out of every part..

The lack of machine sound effects totally threw it for me. It's neat, of course. Definitely an achievement, but I completely miss the crashing sounds of shifting car parts. It's a huge part of putting it together in my mind as a realistic event, if that makes sense. I liked watching all the little bits come together...
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

It's a great piece of work for something fan made. However I wouldn't want the movie bots to adopt that design aesthetic. Save that style for cartoons, and comics.

Quote Originally Posted by redqueenar View Post
    The lack of machine sound effects totally threw it for me. It's neat, of course. Definitely an achievement, but I completely miss the crashing sounds of shifting car parts. It's a huge part of putting it together in my mind as a realistic event, if that makes sense. I liked watching all the little bits come together...
    I agree though, big parts were put together, not the kind like the first film.
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone from IMDB
    Why does Will Smith always play a black man?

My Blu-ray collection.

That was wicked, truely. But it doesn't seem as, well, real. The little bits and part type thing they used in the movie seems much more logical and down to earth(figuritivly speaking, of course). The face of the Bee from the little move didn't strike me has completely real. The bit and pieces faces have a realer, more true to life, feeling to them. If they had used the 'liquid' type of face, I probably wouldn't have felt the same amount of awe that I did with the 'B and P' faces. Like I said befor, it just wouldn't feel real. It would look cool, yes, but it wouldn't work with live-action. I agree with what someone else said. Leave the 'liquid' face for the cartoons. It looks better in those, then in live action. I also miss the machine sounds.

But this is pretty wicked.
    Freedom of speech is great and all, but say it polite or don't say it at all.
    Please call me Ditto.

This is old... I saw this video in late 2006.

BTW, if the TF2 robots looked like this, I would personally ask Michael for a refund.

i gotta say..i was upset with the lack of a car chase in the movie. I was hoping to see cars chasing each other....transforming at like 70mph....lunging at each other duking it out a bit....and transforming back into cars to keep chasing each other...and this go on a for a bit..and every time they transform to fight its something different. I hope to god Michael has something like this in plan for 2.

Quote Originally Posted by xAgonyxScenex View Post
    i gotta say..i was upset with the lack of a car chase in the movie. I was hoping to see cars chasing each other....transforming at like 70mph....lunging at each other duking it out a bit....and transforming back into cars to keep chasing each other...and this go on a for a bit..and every time they transform to fight its something different. I hope to god Michael has something like this in plan for 2.
    All of these sequences happened. They just didnt happen all at once and to the point that you become bored with the entire sequence. It's pretty obvious Bay is gonna be able to do more of that now that he will probably have more leeway. (both in not needing a whole lot of exposition and in having more $$, perhaps)

(in bold) Are you talking about this old animation Ag (I hope not. ) or your above opinion of a sequence?

And guys, it's just a short drift/slide coupled with the music of Vince DiCola doing his best Yanni impression. The animation is good in its own right, but not movie-caliber. (looks more like an animatic) It was cringe-inducing, reading people's hyperbole: "THIS is what TF should be", "THIS guy knows, Bay doesn't", etc.

BTW, the last part wasn't knocking Michael Smith's stuff, when it was posted a while back, he was very humble and appreciative of all of the feedback, spoke highly of the movie, etc. So, it's more about people's ad nauseum chants (back then) about this being the right/only way TF's should be.

That was incredible! And I can tell what parts of the car go where...the car hood are the legs, the trunk are the shoulders, and the roof is the chestplate...I love seeing the 350Z's head and tailights still in plain view in robot mode.....Hopefully the TF2 bots will be something in between this and what we got in TF1, in terms of overall design.

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post

BTW, if the TF2 robots looked like this, I would personally ask Michael for a refund.
    In terms of design, why? This was fantastic!

Pause at 6.8 seconds...you see the car clearly splitting up logically. You seem to see the engine components shift from the front to the middle of the car where the chest will be, it's awesome. At 7.5-7.8 it all comes together and you can see that this is a robot from a car.

Of course there does seem to be shortcuts (from a non-programmer eyes). The whole spinning while transforming thing seems to be hiding things (pause at 7.2...LOL!). But this is a fan video right? For a fan video it's very kickass!

I didn't notice the "liquid face", and the head was so goofy but the overall design was sound. Just because it's not Bay doesn't mean I'm not allowed to like it.
    Last edited by Bay_Fan_Gibson; 04-23-2008 at 01:48 PM.

Post Re: Hire This Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Bay_Fan_Gibson View Post
    That was incredible! And I can tell what parts of the car go where...the car hood are the legs, the trunk are the shoulders, and the roof is the chestplate...I love seeing the 350Z's head and tailights still in plain view in robot mode.....Hopefully the TF2 bots will be something in between this and what we got in TF1.
    I can tell where the parts of the car are on Michael's TF. I'm with r-type.
    Please call me Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by MovinForward View Post

Okay then, Ratchet was a Hummer H2 right? My friend has an H2...explain where everything goes in robot mode. Yeah, I can sorta tell the front vents as the chest, even though its really really bent up. I see some words on his leg, so I assume that's somewhere on the side of the truck or back.
    Could you clarify for me?

I liked Bay's TF let's get that straight. But if I had to pick two things to critique, itd be the bot designs and some of the jokes.
    Last edited by Bay_Fan_Gibson; 04-23-2008 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xAgonyxScenex View Post
    I think so too. I LOVED the highway scene with Optimus and Bonecrusher. THAT was amazing when they were transforming on the fly, stepping over cars, jumping at each other - EVERY time I watch the movie, I'm mesmerized. I just thought everything was so precise: the tires screeching on the pavement when the wheels locked up, the asphalt crumbling when Optimus put his hand down, etc…. Well done, Bay.

Banned

Everyone has to remember even knowing the detale that was put into the transformations and everyone wanting to see just where all the f-ing parts go...its not going to happen. If that was the case then it would take like forever to show a transformation. Something that Bay just dosent have the time and money to do. I think the transformations where really great. Who cares if you cant see all the parts. Remember these are not G-1 transformers and these are based on nano tech. A lot of their parts will not be seen because of the shifting in size. I mean come on... I really dont care where the muffler goes, or where the hood is or isnt. As long as some things like the tires are there and they somewhat look like what they transformed from, i'm happy

Quote Originally Posted by Bay_Fan_Gibson View Post
    Okay then, Ratchet was a Hummer H2 right? My friend has an H2...explain where everything goes in robot mode. Yeah, I can sorta tell the front vents as the chest, even though its really really bent up. I see some words on his leg, so I assume that's somewhere on the side of the truck or back.
    Could you clarify for me?

I liked Bay's TF let's get that straight. But if I had to pick two things to critique, itd be the bot designs and some of the jokes.
    I see his wheels, two on his back, the other two make his arm joint-thingy. Some of his side(where the linething is)parts are on his lower arms and shoulder. He's got those little reflector things above his knee. His siding also makes up some of his leg as you said. And of course we all see that some of his low head lights are on his shoulder while the others are on his chest(but I'm sure everyone knows this). There more that I can see but I really don't know how to explain them and what certain things are called.

I'll also have to agree with Shadow.
    Please call me Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by MovinForward View Post
    Yeah, this is a neat effect, but it looks more like a melt effect, like in Terminator 2. Real robots have moving parts, and machines interlock in sequence to create a result, and make hella noise, which is, for me, the second best part of putting your foot to the accelerator!
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

Banned

Im not saying its the end all and be all Ideal transformers it obviously isnt the quality ILM could churn out but it was just 2 guys.

And it has a lot of good, its a nice wide angle, quick and clean treansform , and you can see where the parts go. I hate the mashed up tin-foil look from TF07, If megatron is an example of what cybertronian modes look like, a flashback would be like a fractal acid trip.

I think the Tfs look veunerable and naked but thats not even the real reason I say the movie lacked style. Besides the jokes. It's the biggest sign that Bay doesnt get Transformers; the Pre-Transformation Che chee cha cho chou, I wouldnt have been angry if he left it out of the movie but tacking it on the beginning of Blackouts Transform was the second big sign that the movie was going to suck.

the sound may be corny but the idea was that Cybertronians were veunerable while open so they would Transform quickly in 5 or 6 big moves or part shifts instead of the continuous merging and switching of parts. I think ILMs CG TFs should develop it, each TF being unique would still transform and sound differently, and maybe that will appease those who like the intracate small parts and those who want to see where things go.

This short film by Michael Smith shows a TF that in actiony poses manages to use its interior space very well and quickly moves between modes, even moves by the camera without falling in our laps or making a bouncing disorenting shot. and I think thats all fans want, but with much better CG so we can slo-mo it as much as nessesary.
    Last edited by S!gma; 04-24-2008 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post
    All of these sequences happened. They just didnt happen all at once and to the point that you become bored with the entire sequence. It's pretty obvious Bay is gonna be able to do more of that now that he will probably have more leeway. (both in not needing a whole lot of exposition and in having more $$, perhaps)

(in bold) Are you talking about this old animation Ag (I hope not. ) or your above opinion of a sequence?

And guys, it's just a short drift/slide coupled with the music of Vince DiCola doing his best Yanni impression. The animation is good in its own right, but not movie-caliber. (looks more like an animatic) It was cringe-inducing, reading people's hyperbole: "THIS is what TF should be", "THIS guy knows, Bay doesn't", etc.

BTW, the last part wasn't knocking Michael Smith's stuff, when it was posted a while back, he was very humble and appreciative of all of the feedback, spoke highly of the movie, etc. So, it's more about people's ad nauseum chants (back then) about this being the right/only way TF's should be.
    the bold is something i said...not this animation. The animation while nice is old, and its short as hell..a drift and a transformation. it's damn cool but not amazing to the point of "omg hollywood needs to hire him for this movie!!" It wasnt anything earth shattering, and certainly not anywhere close to cooler then anything in the movie.

I realize a lot of the stuff I said was in the movie. But I was just expecting a chase sequence on complete crack. The chase sequence to end all chase sequences. Don't get me wrong...I about lost my shit when Devestator ran after bumblebee and jumped in the air, transformed and then hit the ground going. But that was pretty much the extent of it.

I would have liked to have seen a little more transforming from car to robot and fighting multiple times through the chase sequence. Then again, you always want to see more =P
    The shit the is in my head would probably just be to expensive to film haha

What I have in mind is the fluidity and grace of an anime. Which is completly plausible and doable. One of the reasons why I was so upset with Bays decision for the shaky cam during some robot sequences and not pulling the camera back. I can only assume that was to save money during the animation process.
    Last edited by xAgonyxScenex; 04-24-2008 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post

i wouldn't ask for my money back...no reason it couldn't have worked, and worked well. A truly talented person could take the old designs and make the movie work, and work well. It's just a better choice for the way Michael chose. A new updated look for modern times.

Only way that robot would have worked is if the tons and look of the film was very different then Michaels.

Banned

Yeah, I saw that video on the old MBay forums years ago.

Actually, I found some leaks from ILM a while ago where they were doing animation tests similar to that, you would be very surprised how exact they were to the G-1 style before massive revamps, so most likely, we will not see that kinda transformation as the higher ups already did and disapproved back in 06.

Banned

TF2...More car chases please.