Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 83

Thread: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

  1. #1
    Senior Member Bumblebee1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    None ya :P
    Posts
    4,496

    Default What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    Simply put...this response:

    Why not? How many people your age remember the film? Texas Chainsaw was banned when it was released. It only became a "classic" in revisionist critics history. Why don't you read the reviews from back then? The people who saw the Texas I produced, never saw the original Texas. The movie was made for $7 million dollars and made $120 worldwide - making it one of the most profitable films of the entire year. When are you people out here going to realize this is a business? Studio's stay in business off films like these, so that they can make more films. Platinum Dunes is my side business. It is a business where I make a lot of money.

    You want to talk about injustices in this world - then start talking about why the fuck we are in Iraq - that's an injustice. People out here feel films are sacred - it's simply entertainment - relax - fight about cry about stuff that is more important in the world.

    M
    'nuff said.
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

    I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.



  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    283

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    You are wrong Bee, and so is Michael Bay. Bay's remarks are hurtful. To say that cinema is merely business, just a way of making big money, is insulting. As a movie goer is that all I am?!!! 10$ for a ticket, and more money for Bay. Nowhere does he mention why he wants to remake Rosemary's Baby, a classic at the time of its release. All he can do is talk money. Cinema is an art, and I'm sorry some of us feel that way, but there it is. Good cinema is priceless.
    Bay is talking about exploitation, making money from the largest amount of people possible. Honestly, if that's his game, then he's no better than Hugh Hefner.
    Btw, he's entitled to have a personal opinion about Iraq, but I have no idea why he mentioned it. And what the hell it has to do with cinema?!!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bumblebee1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    None ya :P
    Posts
    4,496

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    You are wrong Bee, and so is Michael Bay. Bay's remarks are hurtful. To say that cinema is merely business, just a way of making big money, is insulting. As a movie goer is that all I am?!!! 10$ for a ticket, and more money for Bay. Nowhere does he mention why he wants to remake Rosemary's Baby, a classic at the time of its release. All he can do is talk money. Cinema is an art, and I'm sorry some of us feel that way, but there it is. Good cinema is priceless.
    Bay is talking about exploitation, making money from the largest amount of people possible. Honestly, if that's his game, then he's no better than Hugh Hefner.
    Btw, he's entitled to have a personal opinion about Iraq, but I have no idea why he mentioned it. And what the hell it has to do with cinema?!!!
    I mainly (and should have done this, but umm...I was in a hurry, sowwy!) was regarding this part of his post:

    People out here feel films are sacred - it's simply entertainment - relax - fight about cry about stuff that is more important in the world.
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

    I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.



  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    400

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    I'm with Beetlejuice on this one. As a fan of his this is not the responce I wanted to see from Michael.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bumblebee1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    None ya :P
    Posts
    4,496

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
    I'm with Beetlejuice on this one. As a fan of his this is not the responce I wanted to see from Michael.
    I was mainly speaking about the latter part of his response...not generally the entire thing.

    People get their panties in a wad over trivial things. I agree with him on that bit.
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

    I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.



  6. #6

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    I'm also with Beetlejuice on this one.

  7. #7
    Senior Member redqueenar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Orange County, CA USA
    Posts
    1,985

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    I wholeheartedly agree with everything he said. If you don't think this is a business, then lucky you for obviously NEVER having tried to operate in it.

    Regardless of *anyone's* specific opinion of the situation in Iraq, I think he is right to point out that the issue of the war is FAR more important to us than crying over a film remake that no one is going to force you to go see. OVER FOUR THOUSAND of our men and women have died over there. Remaking Rosemary's Baby isn't going to KILL anybody. If you don't like it, then don't see it.

    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    It's his business. Where he can make money.

    Let's face it, PD is not a company where he wants to make something artistic and meaningful. The fact that he's never directed his own film under PD pretty much proves that.

    He has his own films to create his own art. He leaves the art to the directors and actual film makers of the PD films.
    I've always defended Michael Bay against attacks that his films are full of stupid explosions, girls in underwear and mindless characters... but then he made Transformers 2 and I conceded...

  9. #9

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    You are wrong Bee, and so is Michael Bay. Bay's remarks are hurtful. To say that cinema is merely business, just a way of making big money, is insulting. As a movie goer is that all I am?!!! 10$ for a ticket, and more money for Bay. Nowhere does he mention why he wants to remake Rosemary's Baby, a classic at the time of its release. All he can do is talk money. Cinema is an art, and I'm sorry some of us feel that way, but there it is. Good cinema is priceless.
    Bay is talking about exploitation, making money from the largest amount of people possible. Honestly, if that's his game, then he's no better than Hugh Hefner.
    Btw, he's entitled to have a personal opinion about Iraq, but I have no idea why he mentioned it. And what the hell it has to do with cinema?!!!

    Business is business. Moviemaking is business.

    Michael Bay is right. He's talking like a professor...he's just giving it to you straight.

    Mr. Bay is fortunate to be in a position where he seems to enjoy his job and what he does to make money. But it's about making money.

    It's all about keeping up your personal value and ensuring that you remain viable. Big budget movies have investors that expect a return for their participation. The actors/workers answer to Mr. Bay, he answers to somebody, and that person answers to somebody else. All these people who need paychecks....there is a responsibility to keep the properties viable.

    To think otherwise is living in lala land.
    Last edited by Bay_Fan_Gibson; 04-22-2008 at 01:38 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bumblebee1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    None ya :P
    Posts
    4,496

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by redqueenar View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with everything he said. If you don't think this is a business, then lucky you for obviously NEVER having tried to operate in it.

    Regardless of *anyone's* specific opinion of the situation in Iraq, I think he is right to point out that the issue of the war is FAR more important to us than crying over a film remake that no one is going to force you to go see. OVER FOUR THOUSAND of our men and women have died over there. Remaking Rosemary's Baby isn't going to KILL anybody. If you don't like it, then don't see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay_Fan_Gibson View Post
    Business is business. Moviemaking is business.

    Michael Bay is right. He's talking like a professor...he's just giving it to you straight.

    Mr. Bay is fortunate to be in a position where he seems to enjoy his job and what he does to make money. But it's about making money.

    It's all about keeping up your personal value and ensuring that you remain viable. Big budget movies have investors that expect a return for their participation. The actors/workers answer to Mr. Bay, he answers to somebody, and that person answers to somebody else. All these people who need paychecks....there is a responsibility to keep the properties viable.

    To think otherwise is living in lala land.
    Well said both of ya.

    Thanks for backing me up, I'm a little distracted and couldn't put it into those words quite as you could.
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

    I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.



  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    400

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    It's great that Michael responds to certain issues on these boards but he should really think about what he's saying. It will probably be all over the fuckin' internet tomorrow that Michael admits all the Platinum Dunes bullcrap is all about earning more cash for him, which we all suspected, but anyway. As I said, as a big fan of him that's been defending him for many years it's pretty disappointing to see him basically saying "Oh, so what, I make a lot of money producing these remakes of those crappy originals no one remembers" which also is purely wrong; TCM, Amityville, The Hitcher, The Birds, Friday The 13th, Rosemary's Baby are all horror cult movies that will probably stand the test of time better than the Platinum Dunes-remakes. Who does they make the remakes for anyway? The clueless 11-year olds that pretty much think anything with a little gore in it is "teh cool"? I actually think at least 50% of the audience of the TCM-remake were the big horror fans who saw the original and not the clueless 11-year olds.

    I just think that Michael should know that, for instance, the majority of the people that are going to see the Friday The 13th-remake, are probably fanboys who have been watching these movies for years, and not the 11-year old "Tha best movie all time is Prom Night (08 version), worst one is Psycho man so old, black and white, no blood, just talk talk talk, man talk boring are" type of people.

    Anyway, I just hope that Michael don't see the movies he directs the same way.

  12. #12

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
    It's great that Michael responds to certain issues on these boards but he should really think about what he's saying. It will probably be all over the fuckin' internet tomorrow that Michael admits all the Platinum Dunes bullcrap is all about earning more cash for him, which we all suspected, but anyway.
    To me that's like accusing a pro sports star of signing with teams to go after the big bucks...as if there's something wrong with that.
    The sports star is just leveraging his assets to maximize his income, it's what we all try to do.
    Again, Bay's just giving it to you straight, unlike many others who would sugarcoat BS slop about how it's not for the money.


    Who does they make the remakes for anyway? The clueless 11-year olds that pretty much think anything with a little gore in it is "teh cool"? I actually think at least 50% of the audience of the TCM-remake were the big horror fans who saw the original and not the clueless 11-year olds.
    When you ask who these remakes are for specifically, you pretty much have your answer. The fact that, as Bay says, Chainsaw was one of the most profitable films of the year means that it hit its target audience right on the spot. It was successful and delivered.

    We don't have the analysis on where the film was targeted specifically, but obviously research was conducted and the film exceeded its goal.


    Anyway, I just hope that Michael don't see the movies he directs the same way.

    Why not? If Bay directs Transformers 3, and at that point his researchers discover an increasing trend towards a changing appeal age group (lets say, 20 year olds), then why not strategically target and gear the movie in that direction? It's smart business. It doesn't mean that other qualities, like his art in direction, the quality of the storytelling, and the acting go down the tubes. They are still there...it's just an increased awareness to maximize revenue potential.

  13. #13
    Senior Member CJP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,071

    Talking Michael Bay is the SHIT!

    I'm sorry, as a vet, and one who has been butt-fucked by Stop-Loss
    and back in Iraq, I had to post this in a thread where people could reply.

    Michael Bay in reply to a question about remaking Rosemary's Baby:

    Why not? How many people your age remember the film? Texas Chainsaw was banned when it was released. It only became a "classic" in revisionist critics history. Why don't you read the reviews from back then? The people who saw the Texas I produced, never saw the original Texas. The movie was made for $7 million dollars and made $120 worldwide - making it one of the most profitable films of the entire year. When are you people out here going to realize this is a business? Studio's stay in business off films like these, so that they can make more films. Platinum Dunes is my side business. It is a business where I make a lot of money.

    You want to talk about injustices in this world - then start talking about why the fuck we are in Iraq - that's an injustice. People out here feel films are sacred - it's simply entertainment - relax - fight about cry about stuff that is more important in the world.

    M


    You know that last part got me going since I am all about being against this war. Thanks for the honesty in that reply. You freakin' rock! Hope you check out my deployment videos one day.

    Casey
    View My Latest Video/Photo Work Here!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaseyJPorterOfficial

  14. #14
    Senior Member Bumblebee1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    None ya :P
    Posts
    4,496

    Default Re: Michael Bay is the SHIT!

    Quote Originally Posted by CJP View Post
    I'm sorry, as a vet, and one who has been butt-fucked by Stop-Loss
    and back in Iraq, I had to post this in a thread where people could reply.

    Michael Bay in reply to a question about remaking Rosemary's Baby:

    Why not? How many people your age remember the film? Texas Chainsaw was banned when it was released. It only became a "classic" in revisionist critics history. Why don't you read the reviews from back then? The people who saw the Texas I produced, never saw the original Texas. The movie was made for $7 million dollars and made $120 worldwide - making it one of the most profitable films of the entire year. When are you people out here going to realize this is a business? Studio's stay in business off films like these, so that they can make more films. Platinum Dunes is my side business. It is a business where I make a lot of money.

    You want to talk about injustices in this world - then start talking about why the fuck we are in Iraq - that's an injustice. People out here feel films are sacred - it's simply entertainment - relax - fight about cry about stuff that is more important in the world.

    M


    You know that last part got me going since I am all about being against this war. Thanks for the honesty in that reply. You freakin' rock! Hope you check out my deployment videos one day.

    Casey
    Errr...blonde moment, move along. I get it now! *duh*

    *slap forehead*
    Last edited by Bumblebee1983; 04-22-2008 at 09:38 PM.
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

    I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.



  15. #15
    Senior Member xAgonyxScenex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    2,172

    Default Re: Michael Bay is the SHIT!

    I keep saying the same thing to people who bitch that there is no originality in Hollywood. It's a business...end of story. If people want originality they need to stop seeing the cookie cutter shit, and start watching the more experimental shit. Simple as that. Studios go where the money is. They have stock holders to please, and employees to pay. Cant blame them.

  16. #16
    Senior Member xAgonyxScenex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    2,172

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    You are wrong Bee, and so is Michael Bay. Bay's remarks are hurtful. To say that cinema is merely business, just a way of making big money, is insulting. As a movie goer is that all I am?!!! 10$ for a ticket, and more money for Bay. Nowhere does he mention why he wants to remake Rosemary's Baby, a classic at the time of its release. All he can do is talk money. Cinema is an art, and I'm sorry some of us feel that way, but there it is. Good cinema is priceless.
    Bay is talking about exploitation, making money from the largest amount of people possible. Honestly, if that's his game, then he's no better than Hugh Hefner.
    Btw, he's entitled to have a personal opinion about Iraq, but I have no idea why he mentioned it. And what the hell it has to do with cinema?!!!
    hell ya you are..and the sooner you realize that the better. It's nice to want things (i.e cinema to be a sacred thing for you). You have no idea how business works.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    400

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    I hear ya. But to me, it's disappointing to see him justify doing those remakes by "They make money, what can you do?" (Didn't TCM: The Beginning underperform and The Hitcher flat out bomb anyway?) and "Who remembers the originals?". Ah, I just dislike Platinum Dunes. I hate that Michael Bay is involved with that, honestly. I didn't have a problem with them until I started to question "WTF?! Are they going to remake every horror movie out there or what?". I don't really understand how anybody, horror fan or not, can't have a problem with all the fuckin' remakes lately. It's embarrasing. I haven't seen that many of them (why bother?) but from what I've heard remakes like The Fog, Black Christmas or Prom Night are Uwe Boll-type crap films. I saw Halloween and even that was pure shit.

    And of course I understand that Bay can't make a movie for 200 million dollar and be like "Fuck the box-office. I've made a good film here, don't care if it only makes 10 million" but to make a quality flick always needs to be the main priority. I don't want him to say "I make Transformers 2 mainly because it grossed 700 million dollars worldwide. After this one I'll make something that I actually want to make". The reason for Pearl Harbor gettin' so fucked up was, let's face it, because they started to look at it like a product. They wrote in a fuckin' love story there to attack both sides of the target audience so to speak and movie suffered immensily because of it. I don't know if that was Bruckheimer or Bay's fault, because maybe Disney said "Movie about Pearl Harbor sounds great but we can't make a movie like that for 200 million dollars if it only will speak to war film buffs so let's get a fuckin' love triangle in there, two good-looking model-like actors for the girls, a cute girl for the guys, a little bit of love, a little of explosions, and everyone shall be pleased".

  18. #18
    Senior Member Bumblebee1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    None ya :P
    Posts
    4,496

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by xAgonyxScenex View Post
    hell ya you are..and the sooner you realize that the better. It's nice to want things (i.e cinema to be a sacred thing for you). You have no idea how business works.
    *snicker*

    We're pawns in a big Hollywood blockbuster war (that's never ending!)! *bwahaha!*

    But if it weren't for us, people like Bay wouldn't be around, ya know? And we'd have no entertainment to talk about to bring people of certain interests together.

    Ya know?
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

    I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.



  19. #19
    Senior Member uraydo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Greenwood, SC
    Posts
    4,115

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    as an artist, I agree with Michael. If your art can't sale, why make it? this is especially true for story telling artist such as film.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

  20. #20

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    Now you are twisting my words. This is the danger with the internet - words become fodder for other stuff off subject. Very simply I'm talking about my "side business". That is my horror genre division where I produce - and nothing else. I'm not talking about my movies I direct. I'm talking about re making Texas Chainsaw. I'm very clear in the last post that I was talking about Texas, the original movie, and was it so "sacred" that it should of never been remake?? Stay on point - don't apply these words to other movies.
    M

  21. #21

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    Hitcher was our first bomb. We went three for three, we spent $43 million in production and they went on to make $300 million worldwide in ticket sales not including video. Texas 2 was profitable so you are wrong on that fact.

    M

  22. #22
    Senior Member Bumblebee1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    None ya :P
    Posts
    4,496

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbay View Post
    Now you are twisting my words. This is the danger with the internet - words become fodder for other stuff off subject. Very simply I'm talking about my "side business". That is my horror genre division where I produce - and nothing else. I'm not talking about my movies I direct. I'm talking about re making Texas Chainsaw. I'm very clear in the last post that I was talking about Texas, the original movie, and was it so "sacred" that it should of never been remake?? Stay on point - don't apply these words to other movies.
    M
    I didn't do it!

    *hides*

    On a serious note....I haven't seen the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, even though I've heard it's great and all, but to be honest, I have no problem with remakes. It just gives it a...flavor (I guess that's the word I'm looking for) of the current generation.

    Take the Star Wars movies for example. When Lucas re-released the originals, he added some bits to it and remastered it. Yeah, okay, the real fanboys were very upset at that little fact. But I enjoyed it because it made me feel like I was a part of that movie history. Then, the prequels came out. Fanboys were upset about that, but that's my version of Star Wars. My dad was happy to see Star Wars-the original trilogy on the big screen again and able to share it with me and my little brother. Now...the same can be said for the prequels.

    Did that make sense? I'm dead tired from a hell of a day.

    AGH! After thinking about this on the road, (yes, I do a lot of thinking on my commute), I don't necessarily have a problem with remakes as they can add a bit of newer technology to them...but Short Circuit? Why remake that? But, perhaps since it has the original writers, maybe there won't be a problem. *shrug*
    Last edited by Bumblebee1983; 04-22-2008 at 09:34 PM.
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

    I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.



  23. #23
    Senior Member uraydo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Greenwood, SC
    Posts
    4,115

    Default Re: Michael Bay is the SHIT!

    Quote Originally Posted by xAgonyxScenex View Post
    I keep saying the same thing to people who bitch that there is no originality in Hollywood. It's a business...end of story. If people want originality they need to stop seeing the cookie cutter shit, and start watching the more experimental shit. Simple as that. Studios go where the money is. They have stock holders to please, and employees to pay. Cant blame them.
    " we're lowering the standard in a process selective
    the formula is too thin
    but it takes more than one person
    so everyone jump on

    i'll miss you when you're just like them
    imitate and water down
    selection breathes on its own
    before the crash i'll write it out:
    selection breathes on its own
    make them open the request line and let selection kill the old
    take back the radio
    ...[ah... I mean cinema]"

    ~Jimmy Eat World~


    my word in the matter... don't buy shit if you don't watch shit... really, what Agony said.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

  24. #24
    Senior Member hautbasclair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Paris, FRANCE
    Posts
    420

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Bay is talking about exploitation, making money from the largest amount of people possible. Honestly, if that's his game, then he's no better than Hugh Hefner.

    Well then, that would make him the best at what he's doing.

  25. #25

    Default Re: What makes Bay great? (err...awesome) ;)

    BeetleJuice, you are wrong. Moviemaking - is business. I talking about mainstream movies, not for some movie festivals or social stuff.

    Movie - is a product. We pay for our good/bad emotions.

    I totally agree with Michael Bay.
    Last edited by chubaka; 04-22-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •