Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transformers 2 writers confirmed

Default Transformers 2 writers confirmed

Ehren Kruger, Alex Kurtzman and Robert Orci.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6372

Transformers 2 Writers Confirmed
    Source: The Hollywood Reporter
    October 4, 2007

Screenwriter Ehren Kruger and the writing team of Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are in talks to team to write the screenplay for DreamWorks/Paramount's Transformers 2, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Director Michael Bay, star Shia LaBeouf and producers Tom DeSanto, Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Don Murphy are back in their respective chairs, as is executive producer Steven Spielberg.

The trade adds that the teaming of A-listers to write such a huge project might be an industry first and could have been necessary because Kurtzman and Orci -- who wrote first movie -- also are busy writing J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movie for Paramount and producing Eagle Eye for DreamWorks.

The three writers are also working together on Nightlife, a DreamWorks serial-killer project that sees Kruger adapting a Thomas Perry novel, with Kurtzman and Orci producing along with Neal Moritz. Kruger also adapted the Stephen King novel "The Talisman," which Spielberg is exec producing for TNT.

Kruger met with Bay and Hasbro president Brian Goldner and impressed the duo with his knowledge of the "Transformers" mythology.

That's great to hear! They seem to be extremely busy but I wish much they would be back to TF2 soon.

That's fantastic! (if it's true). Kurtzman & Orci did a good job with the first flick in my opinion. By now, they also have a nice working relationship with both Bay and Spielberg.

Ehren Krueger has written a lot of shit though, mostly thrillers/horror-flick, so who knows how he will handle this, but if he has a knowledge of Transformers then I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

I have mixed feeling about this. Although I like the writers, I think they copped out on some important things like *spoiler* Jazz's death*spoiler*.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

Personally, I'm hoping the writers don't pull an "X-MEN 3" and introduce too many new characters before continuing to develop the ones they already have. Bring in Arcee and Soundwave, by all means, but stay focused on Sam and Optimus Prime above all else. Don't resurrect Megatron, at least just yet; give Starscream a chance to shine as the Decepticon leader.

That's all the advice I can give to Kruger, Orci, and Kurtzman.
    Last edited by MitP; 10-04-2007 at 02:54 PM.

Wow, the same guys that delivered the story that most of us said needed work in the first place and a new guy who's written one clunker after another. Well maybe these 3 minds might put together something more compelling than the first movie's story.

I wish I could be excited about this one but I'm not. The first one I loved because of everything but the script, I hope this time it's not more of the same.
    Last edited by OmarB; 10-04-2007 at 09:53 AM.

I hope they don't speed through it because of this strike. "quality over quantity"

Chud's take...

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=12037

My copy of the Transformers DVD just came in the mail, and I'm excited to pop the film in and watch it again; the movie has really grown on me in the months since I've seen it. I'm curious how it will play on the small screen since the parts that have grown in my mind are not the parts with big action but the 'smaller' moments. I think that's a credit to Michael Bay, since I read the script to Transformers by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman and kind of hated it, but that script was there on the screen.

I say this as a way of minimizing the possible negative impact of this announcement: Ehren Kruger is in talks to join Orci and Kurtzman as a writer on the Transformers sequel. Ehren Kruger has written a number of movies, and one of them - Arlington Road - was quite good. The Ring was passable. Every other one sucked so hard that they gave my eyeballs hickies. He wrote Blood & Chocolate, for Christ's sake. And I know that you have to give screenwriters some leeway - what they write and what ends up on film often have nothing in common. But if Kruger's work is getting bastardized this badly, he needs to write under a pseudonym. But I suspect that he really needs to write in a bunker 100 miles beneath the surface of the Earth, without any method of passing his writing on to Hollywood producers.

I'm chalking this up to pre-strike madness - the Writers Guild is rumbling about going on strike like ASAP, and not waiting for the Directors and Actors, like everyone assumed, which would mean no new scripts past this month. But even still, can't Dreamworks-Paramount (the new name!!!) get somebody DECENT on this script? Surely they have the budget. What would be totally dope would be getting John Sayles back into B-movie mode for this one. The paycheck could help fund his next real movie, and Transformers 2 would suddenly have a pedigree.

Quote Originally Posted by OmarB View Post
    Wow, the same guys that delivered the story that most of us said needed work in the first place and a new guy who's written one clunker after another. Well maybe these 3 minds might put together something more compelling than the first movie's story.

I wish I could be excited about this one but I'm not. The first one I loved because of everything but the script, I hope this time it's not more of the same.
    Well, that is the thing Orci and Kurtzman did not come up with the original story, they only reworked an existing script. as for how much was there doing, I don't know. you would have to talk to someone who read the original script.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Aaaah...good ol' Devin Faraci. I appreciate his view on the movie, but on the other hand, he HAS been very public in his opinion of all TF fans being infantilist perverts. (The operative word here is "all", as opposed to "some".)

I don't care at all who the writers are in a Bay film.
    The "story" / screenplay / whatever of the first movie already was bad, who cares.

Great to see they aren't wasting time with Transformers 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I don't care at all who the writers are in a Bay film.
    The "story" / screenplay / whatever of the first movie already was bad, who cares.
    Agree, but a good story/script wouln't hurt, right?

Roberto Orci spent a lot of time on Don's board and on the main Transformers-board during the making of Part 1. I hope he comes here and posts as well - actually it would be better for him 'cause most people here were enthuastic about the first film, while on the others there's sorta 50/50, the fans of the movie and then the whiners

Oh, and the script for Part 1 wasn't bad. It wasn't great either but it's based on an old cartoon so what can we really demand? I haven't seen that much of G1 (just a few episodes) but the way some fans talk about them, like the stories are something of the best ever written I will have huge expectations

Happily I like the way Orci and Kurtzman wrote in the first flick. I felt the movie had a kind of relaxed and warm atmothphere G1 cartoons used to have.
    So I'm happy to hear that Bay, Shia, ILM, Jablonsky, entire crew involved in the first installment are back to TF2 again. I hope they'll continue what they want to do.

As for Kruger, if he's a huge fan of TF, I think there is nothing to worry about. (Am I overly optimistic?)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sora View Post
    Happily I like the way Orci and Kurtzman wrote in the first flick. I felt the movie had a kind of relaxed and warm atmothphere G1 cartoons used to have.
    So I'm happy to hear that Bay, Shia, ILM, Jablonsky, entire crew involved in the first installment are back to TF2 again. I hope they'll continue what they want to do.

As for Kruger, if he's a huge fan of TF, I think there is nothing to worry about. (Am I overly optimistic?)
    No, you are not and I have confidence in the next movie myself.
    "You want to scream? I'LL give you something to scream about!" Quote by G1 Galvatron.

WOW, that is realy great news. I hope they will make even better then the first one

I'm not familiar with Kruger's work, so I'll keep an open mind. Glad Orci, and Kurtzman are returning though, as I was more than happy with their work on the first film.

This will be a way better movie.

Now if only they get rid of Megan Fox....

Dude, you don't like Fox? Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
    No, you are not and I have confidence in the next movie myself.
    Glad you think so.
    This movie really made me feel happy. So, the words I'll say in 2009 is just "Welcome back!".

I PM'ed Roberto Orci on Don's board, asking him if he could perhaps come to post here because me (and many others perhaps) don't really like to be around the whiners on that board and still like to know how the writing process goes. He said he would do that, so we'll see if he comes here.

Quote Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
    I PM'ed Roberto Orci on Don's board, asking him if he could perhaps come to post here because me (and many others perhaps) don't really like to be around the whiners on that board and still like to know how the writing process goes. He said he would do that, so we'll see if he comes here.

Oh man that's way cool. I think the writing duo of Kurtzman/Orci is awesome and I'm glad their back on this project. I heard Ehren Kruger isn't a very good writer, but we'll see.

I wonder how Bay is gonna top the 15 action pieces in TF2. I hope he doesn't just make MORE action pieces, but makes BETTER action pieces. "Quality over Quantity" works here.

biggest reason im not over there...it's a giant 'baby fest'

I like it here because this place is peaceful. I wish Orci would like it too.

nah we're not whiners, we just have better ideas than those who regularly post here.
    here, you are too afraid to challenge bay's ideas. there, we are fearless.
    furthermore, nelson already acknowledges that bay doesn't take fan opinion into account when making decisions.
    so why would orci come here for discussing the movie, if those who post here already accept that bay doesn't listen to them? at least at don's board, you have a wider variety of opinions of the direction the movie should go.
    at first i used to post here b/c i thought bay read the comments and opinions we had about the direction of the first film. but after realizing (via nelson) that he doesn't even consider our opinion in his decisions, I just come here to see what is new with the production now. that's about it.
    don, orci and tom listen to the fans. even if they don't use all our ideas, they at least listen and let us feel as though we have input. that is why i post at don's forum.
    anyway, bay did do well with the movie in an entertainment perspective, so hopefully the 2nd will be able to surpass the bar the first one set up. i'm a fan of bay's movies b/c i'm a fan of transformers.
    Last edited by bliss81; 10-09-2007 at 07:35 AM.