Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey everyone..here's an Optimus Prime painting I just did..

Default Hey everyone..here's an Optimus Prime painting I just did..

Hey everyone,
    I've been visiting these forums since before the film came out ( though this is my first official post), and I can't wait for the sequel.

I'm an artist working for WildStorm/DC Comics, and I recently did this Optimus Prime painting for fun. I was trying to get a look reminiscent of the old-school cartoon and movie ( meaning more linework on the characters and a looser, painterly background). I also wanted to try and show just how massive Prime is, so I added the flock of birds taking off from his back. Let me know what you guys think!

Default Re: Hey everyone..here's an Optimus Prime painting I just did..

Don't f*** with the Prime!

Quote Originally Posted by LivioPainter View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I've been visiting these forums since before the film came out ( though this is my first official post), and I can't wait for the sequel.

I'm an artist working for WildStorm/DC Comics, and I recently did this Optimus Prime painting for fun. I was trying to get a look reminiscent of the old-school cartoon and movie ( meaning more linework on the characters and a looser, painterly background). I also wanted to try and show just how massive Prime is, so I added the flock of birds taking off from his back. Let me know what you guys think!

First off. I love the rendering. spot on man. Originally, I was going to say Prime is too big, but I don't know, I guess it deepens on the birds. I think a common malady for drawing Prime is drawing him to big. (unless you are of the school of mass shifting.) Personally Scale is a big thing to me. I saw a line up in the latest Transformers/Avengers where all the Autobots were the same size. anyways, back to the birds, I see them as both good and bad. They do add a dynamic to the piece, but really Bird would only perch on something not moving or moving really slow. it's weird, they add movement to the illustration yet they stop Prime dead cold. Maybe the birds taking off form under Prime would work better. (that is if you are a stickler for realism like me.)

when all is said and done, this is a solid piece. I hope to achieve what you have someday. Its nice to have another person into sequential art on the board so come back. also, if you have more work you would like to show, drop by http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...read.php?t=107 , our community art gallery. also, if you have the inclination, give some constructive feed back to your fellow members. My work you can tear the hell out of. just be nice about it.

edit: I was looking at the Birds again, and I don't really think they are slowing down prime because they don't really look like they are perched on him. they look like they are flying behind and over him. I think I let the way you worded your post alter the way I saw the piece.
    Last edited by uraydo; 04-09-2008 at 11:42 PM.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

it's def not super pro level stuff...something about the head and arm and some other parts look off. Just the way the lines are. But still a really really good piece man. WAY WAY WAY WAY better then I could ever hope to achieve.

and holy shit i just got a double shot of deja vu....creepy

Banned

Thats some sweet work! Post more if you have any in shoot for the art.

Nelson, can you make that thread a sticky???

Quote Originally Posted by xAgonyxScenex View Post
    it's def not super pro level stuff...something about the head and arm and some other parts look off. Just the way the lines are. But still a really really good piece man. WAY WAY WAY WAY better then I could ever hope to achieve.

and holy shit i just got a double shot of deja vu....creepy
    Some of the line quality isn't sharp. I was going to mention it, but I actually think it lends to the beat-up look.

I think its an amazing piece. I've taken several painting classes and I know how hard of a medium it is to use... I never got the hang of it. I was better at photography and the 'digital medium'.

Good stuff.

Nate

Hey everyone,
    Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it. I'm new to posting here, even though I've been an avid reader for all the movie news the past two years or so. I didn't even know there was a fan art thread around here, but I'll definitely track it down.

A few notes- one thing I do need to work on with my paintings is keeping better line quality. Sometimes I think it can look too textural or sloppy. So I definitely hear what you guys are saying.

As for Prime being too big- I'd say he almost certainly is. And I'm not a big mass-shifter fan ironically, but for a stand-alone piece like this I figured it was justified. I just wanted to get across a really epic feel..but if I were doing more sequential stuff I'd probably nail down his scale to something more accurate.

Again, thanks for all the comments and talk to you later!

Sweet! Damaged texture is nicely done. Come back and show us more.

THats awsome work!

kinda makes me think "Prime turned Decepticon" but its pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mech_1000 View Post
    kinda makes me think "Prime turned Decepticon" but its pretty good.

Haha, good point. I'm going to just say Prime ONLY fired in self-defense..he just happened to wipe everyone out. In the name of peace.

Banned

Yeah, Prime is one bada$$ mutha! Nice work.

Thats one sweet pic

would love to see a pic of Megatron with Galvatron fighting each other with prime in the back ground holding starscreams head or something like that.

Oh that's SWEEEEEEET.

It's pretty spot-on, also love the details on which Decepticons Prime just pwned ... is that Starscream I see in the distance? I almost want to put a caption there for one of them ("Did someone get the number of that semi that ran over me?").

Also love the detail of the Matrix there in Prime's chest. They tried to take him down... but they should know better not to f@$k with The Prime!
    "I am Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

That is a definite masterpiece! The beat-up texture gives it a more realistic battle scene, and it really tributes back to the G1 Optimus and 80s nostaliga. I LOVE IT! 10/10! Me, I sketch and do pencil colour artwork. I'll post some as sooon as I get my new laptop. (By the way, if you ever manage to paint a picture of G1 or the new solstice Jazz, I would by it off of you! If it was for sale!)
    Mean, Green Sexy DEATH Machine!

Swift, here's a thread for artists (started by Ury) in this forum. If you have any drawing/paintings you made, feel free to drop by and post them.
    http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...read.php?t=107

Quote Originally Posted by sora View Post
    Swift, here's a thread for artists (started by Ury) in this forum. If you have any drawing/paintings you made, feel free to drop by and post them.
    http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...read.php?t=107
    Thanks Sora.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That is a definite masterpiece! The beat-up texture gives it a more realistic battle scene, and it really tributes back to the G1 Optimus and 80s nostaliga. I LOVE IT! 10/10! Me, I sketch and do pencil colour artwork. I'll post some as sooon as I get my new laptop. (By the way, if you ever manage to paint a picture of G1 or the new solstice Jazz, I would by it off of you! If it was for sale!)

Thanks for the compliment, my friend! If you're serious about buying a painting, I'd be happy to do one for you. Hit me up at LivioRamondelliArt@yahoo.com and we can talk it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Stitch View Post
    Oh that's SWEEEEEEET.

It's pretty spot-on, also love the details on which Decepticons Prime just pwned ... is that Starscream I see in the distance? I almost want to put a caption there for one of them ("Did someone get the number of that semi that ran over me?").

Also love the detail of the Matrix there in Prime's chest. They tried to take him down... but they should know better not to f@$k with The Prime!

Thanks! And yep, that is Starscream's shredded wing in the distance. I tried to make sure all the wreckage on the ground comes from specific Decepticons, so I'm sure you can find out what comes from who. Though some of them might be a bit obscure in terms of how little they're visible.

And glad you got the detail about the Matrix light shining out! Only Transformers fans really understand what that's about..so I'm glad to be here!

I really like the dark feeling...It looks like he is walking over some scrapped insecticons,and is that supposed to be starscream or a peice of his wing in the back ground.Some really amazing work man keep it up.
    "Autobots, let's go dismantle us some decepticons; So transform and roll out!"
    http://www.myspace.com/raddimus33

Quote Originally Posted by raddimus View Post
    I really like the dark feeling...It looks like he is walking over some scrapped insecticons,and is that supposed to be starscream or a peice of his wing in the back ground.Some really amazing work man keep it up.
    Thanks! And yep, that is Starscream's shredded wing in the distance. I tried to make sure all the wreckage on the ground comes from specific Decepticons, so I'm sure you can find out what comes from who. Though some of them might be a bit obscure in terms of how little they're visible.

And glad you got the detail about the Matrix light shining out! Only Transformers fans really understand what that's about..so I'm glad to be here!

well, there ya go.

Thanks for the compliment, my friend! If you're serious about buying a painting, I'd be happy to do one for you. Hit me up at LivioRamondelliArt@yahoo.com and we can talk it over.
    sweet!

thanks yur for the clear up.and cool you can get art from this guy huh?too cool.

Hey have you ever done a painting of raddimus prime?