Thread: I still have dial-up, and will still have it for a while

Unhappy I still have dial-up, and will still have it for a while

It is a high speed age. Everything is fast now, especially the internet. However, some people don't get a chance to enjoy this luxury.

Ladies and gentlemen, I have dial-up. It is the slowest internet connection ever, my average download speed is 4.0 kbs.

Why do I have this service? It's the only thing we can get. There are no cable lines running up our rural street (they are just 2 miles from us, dad gummit!!!) and satellite internet is too expensive and flawed. So the only way it's gonna happen if government legislation makes it required for all areas, and that may be a long time from now.

So if you still have dial-up like me, feel free to share your experience. If not, well, I still welcome your comments.

Default Re: I still have dial-up, and will still have it for a while

That sounds frustrating as hell TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    It is a high speed age. Everything is fast now, especially the internet. However, some people don't get a chance to enjoy this luxury.

Ladies and gentlemen, I have dial-up. It is the slowest internet connection ever, my average download speed is 4.0 kbs.

Why do I have this service? It's the only thing we can get. There are no cable lines running up our rural street (they are just 2 miles from us, dad gummit!!!) and satellite internet is too expensive and flawed. So the only way it's gonna happen if government legislation makes it required for all areas, and that may be a long time from now.

So if you still have dial-up like me, feel free to share your experience. If not, well, I still welcome your comments.
    Heh. My parents still have dial up (but don't use it that much because a) my dad uses his internet a lot at work, and b) he goes to hotspots to pick up internet with his new laptop that has a Blu-ray player... I would love to switch him laptops....)

I know your pain. All too much.

And satellite internet is a waste of money and time. I remember DirecWay and daaaammmnnn every time it rained, it went out and stayed out for DAYS.
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post
    And satellite internet is a waste of money and time. I remember DirecWay and daaaammmnnn every time it rained, it went out and stayed out for DAYS.
    My aunt just next door to me switched to a satillite ISP known as Hughesnet. I will quote my aunt: "I know it's a rip-off, but I want it." And a rip-off it is. Rain owned her just a couple days they got it. But since it's high speed, there's no way they are switching back to dial-up.

Judging by how unreliable DirecWay sounds according to you, Hughesnet is probably a better way to go, because they never stayed out for DAYS!!! But, it's also not that fast. The maximum speed I've seen from them is like 70 something kbs. My friend who just lives down in the hollow has cable and says he gets like 300 something kbs. Of course, there are services offering speeds up in the MPS range! I'm so stuck in Jurrasic Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    My aunt just next door to me switched to a satillite ISP known as Hughesnet. I will quote my aunt: "I know it's a rip-off, but I want it." And a rip-off it is. Rain owned her just a couple days they got it. But since it's high speed, there's no way they are switching back to dial-up.

Judging by how unreliable DirecWay sounds according to you, Hughesnet is probably a better way to go, because they never stayed out for DAYS!!! But, it's also not that fast. The maximum speed I've seen from them is like 70 something kbs. My friend who just lives down in the hollow has cable and says he gets like 300 something kbs. Of course, there are services offering speeds up in the MPS range! I'm so stuck in Jurrasic Period.
    Yeah, haven't tried Hughesnet. I've heard about them....and I honestly think that the equipment was a bit faulty. And when you called tech support, they were in friggin' India.
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.