Thread: Dear Mr. Bay

Default Dear Mr. Bay

First of, I want to say that I love all of the movies you have directed. You are one of, if perhaps not the most visual director of our time. Your movies are nothing short of stunning every time. I consider my self a very big fan of your movies, and you are one of the top directors i like along with Ridley Scott and David Fincher.

Sadly your last movie, Tranformers, was not your greatest. now I do not want to insinuate that it was a poor movie, only not the best you have done.

First of, the main actor, Shia LaBeof, was perhaps not the best choice as an actor. In my opinion he does not make a good portrayal of a boy which experiences such an extraordinary situation. He is the same two dimensional character we all have seen in different action movies. At least your other movies have had characters with some depth in the character. One could say that this is not a character based movie. But I still think that a character should be grounded in reality in order to make a better experience for the audience.

Your movies has always had a very good visual style to it. The way you have shot action scenes is in a way that sticks out in my mind. I cannot put it in writing, as to why they are so good. But that was also one of the things that was lacking in Transformers. Although there were some shots that were stunning. An example of this is the scene in the begining of the movie where the tanks gets blown of the ground. The action sequences seems to be shot very close as compared to your previous movies where it apears to me that you have been using wider shots. This results in a more traditional way of shooting action sequences.

The biggest problem of Transformers I think are the Transformers themselves. While they look very good and have a level of detail that one could not get anywhere else, there seems to me that it was a litte overkill when constructing them. You state in your commentary, which was particulary interesting, that the the Transformers consists of about ten thousand different parts, as opposed to the seventeen parts the Transformers had in the TV-series. It of course adds a lot to the detail of it all, which I have mentioned, I find it a bit too much. ten thousand parts is a lot! While watching the film I find it difficult to enjoy the transformations due to all of the different moving parts. There is simply too many parts you will see moving at the same time, making it harder to actually make the transformations be interesting. When the Transformers transform, they look like huge mass of moving metal, without seeing where everything goes. The transformations then only becomes chaos until they have finished transforming. When you then combinde this with the closer shooting style of this movie, it makes for a rather uncomprehensible image to watch the Transformers doing anything. Although very impressive, not too entertaining for my part.

I hope that this post was comprehensible to read since English is not my first language. Please excuse any miss spelling. In addition hope that my oppinions will not aggravate any Transformers fans, that is certainly not my goal. I only wanted to express my opinions to what made this movie a lesser experience compared to his earlier works.

Thank you Michael bay if you have read this post, and to any body else who have read my first post on this forum.

Sincerely OAK.

Default Re: Dear Mr. Bay

Quote Originally Posted by OAK View Post
    First of, I want to say that I love all of the movies you have directed. You are one of, if perhaps not the most visual director of our time. Your movies are nothing short of stunning every time. I consider my self a very big fan of your movies, and you are one of the top directors i like along with Ridley Scott and David Fincher.

Sadly your last movie, Tranformers, was not your greatest. now I do not want to insinuate that it was a poor movie, only not the best you have done.

First of, the main actor, Shia LaBeof, was perhaps not the best choice as an actor. In my opinion he does not make a good portrayal of a boy which experiences such an extraordinary situation. He is the same two dimensional character we all have seen in different action movies. At least your other movies have had characters with some depth in the character. One could say that this is not a character based movie. But I still think that a character should be grounded in reality in order to make a better experience for the audience.

Your movies has always had a very good visual style to it. The way you have shot action scenes is in a way that sticks out in my mind. I cannot put it in writing, as to why they are so good. But that was also one of the things that was lacking in Transformers. Although there were some shots that were stunning. An example of this is the scene in the begining of the movie where the tanks gets blown of the ground. The action sequences seems to be shot very close as compared to your previous movies where it apears to me that you have been using wider shots. This results in a more traditional way of shooting action sequences.

The biggest problem of Transformers I think are the Transformers themselves. While they look very good and have a level of detail that one could not get anywhere else, there seems to me that it was a litte overkill when constructing them. You state in your commentary, which was particulary interesting, that the the Transformers consists of about ten thousand different parts, as opposed to the seventeen parts the Transformers had in the TV-series. It of course adds a lot to the detail of it all, which I have mentioned, I find it a bit too much. ten thousand parts is a lot! While watching the film I find it difficult to enjoy the transformations due to all of the different moving parts. There is simply too many parts you will see moving at the same time, making it harder to actually make the transformations be interesting. When the Transformers transform, they look like huge mass of moving metal, without seeing where everything goes. The transformations then only becomes chaos until they have finished transforming. When you then combinde this with the closer shooting style of this movie, it makes for a rather uncomprehensible image to watch the Transformers doing anything. Although very impressive, not too entertaining for my part.

I hope that this post was comprehensible to read since English is not my first language. Please excuse any miss spelling. In addition hope that my oppinions will not aggravate any Transformers fans, that is certainly not my goal. I only wanted to express my opinions to what made this movie a lesser experience compared to his earlier works.

Thank you Michael bay if you have read this post, and to any body else who have read my first post on this forum.

Sincerely OAK.
    I know this isn't directed at me personally, but damnit I must respond.

I honestly loved Shia in this role. I thought he was great.

Then....as for the 'bots themselves being too intricate, that's what makes the special effects great! And that just might win ILM the Oscar in special effects tonight.

I personally think you may be too nitpicky over certain things. But that's okay, everyone's entitled to their own opinions.
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

As I said, it is all very impressive CGI work when the Transformers are transforming. But I have serious doubts that the human eye can detect all of that detail in motion. And if I am not misstaken, the human eye can only register a certain number of objects at a time. This takes away from the whole experience when you have to concentrate each time there is a transformation on screen. But I give credit where credit is due.

Mr. LeBeof on the other hand is not as "intricate" as the Transformers. He seems rather shallow to me. I really do not think that he added anything to the movie. He may very well be a good actor, but this is not the movie that proves it. Michael bay also states in the behind the scenes and in his commentary that LeBeof is a very funny young man. Sadly, I cannot see this represented in this movie. I find the humor a lot more childish for my taste. But that is only my point of view.

As for me beeing too "nitpicky" over certain things. that may very well be true, but I think that one have to be a bit critical of the things we experience during our days. We should not swallow everything we hear and see raw. The post was not meant as beeing destructive, but rather I was trying to give som constructive criticism sa a fan of Mr. Bays movies.
    Sincerely OAK

yes it is my time to be mean. WOW stop being so anal and accept the movie for what it is. what are you talking about that the humans cant comprehend the motion of the transformers? geezes.

What I mean is that the human eye cannot register ten thousand moving parts in a time frame of a few seconds. I do not know if this is a fact, but the human eye only register a certain number of objects at a time. For instance lets say that the human eye only register 7 objects in one millisecond. That is 420 objects registered in one second. And 420 is nowhere close to ten thousand. But that is just an example, and I do not know if it is a fact. The human brain comprehends that the Transformer is transforming. But the eye, and thus the brain, cannot see all ten thousand parts of the Transformer moving in the small time frame that they transform.

I think i should say that I actually like the movie to some extent. But as I have been saying, it is just not on par with Michael Bays other movies in my opinion.

And once again i want to point out that I am not trying to be hostile in any way. I am only trying to express some constructive criticism towards what I thought was lacking in this movie.
    Sincerely OAK

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post
    I know this isn't directed at me personally, but damnit I must respond.

I honestly loved Shia in this role. I thought he was great.

Then....as for the 'bots themselves being too intricate, that's what makes the special effects great! And that just might win ILM the Oscar in special effects tonight.

I personally think you may be too nitpicky over certain things. But that's okay, everyone's entitled to their own opinions.
    *cry*

Quote Originally Posted by xAgonyxScenex View Post
    *cry*
    Damnit....I cursed 'em.

*slaps self*
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by brAnd7onX View Post
    yes it is my time to be mean. WOW stop being so anal and accept the movie for what it is. what are you talking about that the humans cant comprehend the motion of the transformers? geezes.
    LOL great reply. I thought the movie was great. I agree I didn't love every human character but the tranformers themselves were awsome. I had doubts at first about the movie because I grew up watching the cartoons but I was pleasantly surprised. The movie was very epic And I thought every character fit excluding Agent Simmons. So far I've watched the movie 7 times now. I think the sequel will be bigger and better when Michael Bay gets the bigger buget and more transformers. Shia was talking about the sequel alittle bit as he said BIGGER. I can't wait. Sorry if I sound a little rushed but I'm a big fan.

Banned

Ya know.. this reminds me of a poster I had seen once:

"When someone is irritating you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap the mother fucker"

LOL.. I just had to put that in.. Oak.. you complain about them having 10,000 parts? How many parts do you think the human body consists of? I'm sure its not just 17 parts. Do you really want Transformers to be comprised of only 17 parts? They'd look pretty stupid then. They wouldn't be able to bend and move and do all the stuff they need to. If you watched the documentary, you would notice that Bay made them so that each one of their parts moved when they were transforming. Each part needed to move and shift properly to make it look realistic. Sure you can make it look like the old tv series.. but then the movie would really bomb.