Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Superman!...duh,duh duhduhda duh!!!

Default Re: Superman!...duh,duh duhduhda duh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    They don't want to see the filmmakers "rape their childhood" because some are so madly obsessed with it that they take their franchise as a sacred relic that simply CANNOT be reinvented and must remain in it's original form forever.
    Yes. Thats Exactly what it is. Also some, like myself, have seen a lot of bad remakes, so I'm a little reluctant to see a TV Show/Movie I loved in its original form get remade. But Fortunately I haven't seen any bad remakes in a couple of years (The Last was The Dukes of Hazzard. WTF?)

But in the case of Superman I think it should be updated, But perhapes intergrate what has been done in the past( Ex Smallvile brought back the 1978 version of the Fortress of Solitude) I don't think an origin story should be done however because everybody knows Superman's Origin. If they have to show an Origin it should be done in the opening credits(Ex The Incredible Hulk 2008).

Quote Originally Posted by OmarB View Post
    No counterpart? Never read Superman have you? Darkseid, Drega, Imperiex, Kaliback, Braniac, Parasite, Big Barda, Cyborg, Metalo, Mongul. I could go on, but I've made my point, if a movie with epic fights was to be made they have an almost endless characters who can stand up to Superman, hell, there are many above his level too.

umm..yea. I know Superman...
    And yea you made your point.to exactly what I am getting at...tell me what one of those could be translated into a live action version and done well..and out of those I could see maybe 3 that have movie cred..would you see a Supes Movie vs. Big Barda?? No..Brainiac maybe...Darkseid..yea but how or why?

Like I said many of the cartoons with the JLU and the stand alone were done really well. But again doing them as a live action..just does not cut it.

Its just a hard thing to do with a live action movie...especially if your doing the only thing possible in a movie with a villan like that...setting up who it is will be half the movie and really boring..why? You ask who many of those villans you mentioned to anyone and people would say who????

Actually a Bizzaro Supes movie would be cool..with a Cameo of sorts with other DC hero's...

here..hows this..if I dont know Superman..

Supermans telling the people he needs to put these supervillans in a more secure place he can not be at all the places all the time when the escape and what not..he embarks on STAR labs to help him construct with Kryptonian tech a Phantom Zone gateway to put these supervillans there..in the process..a trail run creates a shattered universe that sends Bizzaro here..that other earth Superman at first is smitten by Lois and is friendly then as time goes on her gets more mad about not oging home..his love for lois turns to anger and our Supers tries to protect her. Bizzaro seeing that is a sign of jelousy and they start a fight.
    The end is when they get the gate to work right and seal Bizzaro up in the Phantom Zone..and at the end of it they are not sure how or why the gate worked right then we see why..Braniacs symbol on one of the control panels as it lights up..leading to the next movie of Supes vs. Braniac..

The very reason you can't see those villains or the myriad more that you think cannot be used on film makes me glad the superman property are not in the hands of the someone like yourself. They can all work with a good writer and director.
    - Omar B.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

Thumbs up Re: Superman!...duh,duh duhduhda duh!!!

The very reason you can't see those villains or the myriad more that you think cannot be used on film makes me glad the superman property are not in the hands of the someone like yourself. They can all work with a good writer and director.
    ohh thats a loaded answer but I wont bite...

but I will go this way..comics...yea been collecting since I was 12..Im in my mid 30's now..do the math..do I know Superman yea..I do...as much as you? Probably not...but more than the average movie goer..YES..now that little plot I rattled off the top of my head in 30 seconds..without doing research to get a complete idea..you think a good writer and director will be the trick???

tell me how the last Superman movie did for the idea of a live action Superman..good director..good writer and good cast..big ass crapfest..

Like I said if I went in and actually did some research into Superman now..by the way the recent New Krypton storyline was horrible..started out good but fell really flat fast..but like you said its not in my hands.

Here is one for you..give me a good story that a someone would go see with Big Barda on the silver screen...even just a plot like I did..sure Mr. Miracle might be helpful..but now your including much more than just Barda in the movie..sell me a story of how you would present Big Barda on screen and keep it contained to just two super powered people..

Sure it might be easy for you as a Superman fan..but would the average person go see a movie about Superman beating up what many would say is a Wonder Woman stand in..sorry..thats what they would say..

Like I said 3 out of the ones you said in the previous post..and if I was on top of the game as you are..YES I COULD write a decent Superman movie..better than the last one I am sure of..

so the table is yours..and it does not even have to be off the top of your head..dazzle me my man..

Big Barda would need other super powered people on screen yes. But your original post that I responded to was about how many people are on Superman's level and I pointed out that there are many. SR sucked because both writers suck and Singer was more interested in sucking Donner's cock than telling an original story.

So a plot for a movie with Big Barda as the main villain. Open on Apocolyps, present it just as it is in the comics, have Darkseid looking at a screen and seeing the ion path of Superman's kryptonian ship (the one that crashed at the opening of SR). Darkseid sends Kaliback to earth to find and bring back any Kryptonian and their tech to Apocolyps because as we all know Krypton is the most advance planet in the galexy and with the planet being gone he thought all their information would be gone with them. Darkseid sees it as his chance to search for the anti-life equation in the one place he thought lost. New Genisis sees the activity and send Big Barda in toe.

Boom, movie with Superman and Big Barda.
    Last edited by OmarB; 08-04-2009 at 10:24 PM.
    - Omar B.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

Big Barda would need other super powered people on screen yes. But your original post that I responded to was about how many people are on Superman's level and I pointed out that there are many. SR sucked because both writers suck and Singer was more interested in sucking Donner's cock than telling an original story.

So a plot for a movie with Big Barda as the main villain. Open on Apocolyps, present it just as it is in the comics, have Darkseid looking at a screen and seeing the ion path of Superman's kryptonian ship (the one that crashed at the opening of SR). Darkseid sends Kaliback to earth to find and bring back any Kryptonian and their tech to Apocolyps because as we all know Krypton is the most advance planet in the galexy and with the planet being gone he thought all their information would be gone with them. Darkseid sees it as his chance to search for the anti-life equation in the one place he thought lost. New Genisis sees the activity and send Big Barda in toe.

Boom, movie with Superman and Big Barda.
    What?? And how would you play out the story.to quote someone who recently said:
    makes me glad the superman property are not in the hands of the someone like yourself.
    .sounds like more set up and less action than the last movie..your introducing Darkseid, Kaliback, Cameo's of the New Gods..along with Big Barda...
    and you had no comment on my more simple plot yet I would guess not as able hands as some would like???

The idea is Superman has to be treated like Godzilla..yea stupid huh?? not really..you have the setup to the fight and you bring in the big bad to do the fighting vs Supes..you dont have 2 1/2 hours to make a long story longer..
    Superman works in comics since it has months to do what a movie can only do in short time..introducing all those people into a fast paced movie..would be a screwjob..a Darkseid story would be a great trilogy movie..involving all you said..including those others..
    But just a 2 hour movie to get a story out with the impact you need, it has to be someone or something big fast and not much of a setup..

Not dogging you Omar..especially since I like youe sig
    but the idea of Superman on the screen really has to be something cheap fast and fun..leave those complex layered stories for Batman..
    Supes is the end all of Hero's and he needs to show it off...not finding out that he might or might not have a son..

but maybe a cameo of a lesser hero..or something like that..I go back to Iron Man..I can not find a flaw in that movie that translated from the comic..IF superman can come to the screen with the same energy as Iron Man..it would be a hit!

I disagree, Superman should be huge, epic space opera playing across the galaxy. The problem with the movies is that it's always the same pre-Byrne era small time crap. It's always Lex and a land deal or all the action is on earth. Superman plays out across the universe. Krypton, New Genesis, Apocolyps, War World. It's not a hit 'em quick with somethign simple as you would like.
    - Omar B.

Yea man if you were doing a trilogy or something like that. A super epic space movie could be done right. take example would Lord of the rings work in just one movie? nahh or even Star Wars ep. 4-6...no way.
    Spreading them out you could include many of these superman baddies..and your idea would work on a huge 3 movie scale..

but..lol

keeping it a one movie idea..your talking about just showing Supes at his best..and his best is the power he has..and what he does with it.

and someone like Bizzaro or even parasite or Braniac would provide the excitement that a Lex Luthor lacks..and has been played out..
    Thats why I think eveyone loves the second superman movie..three of his equal..and he had to overcome that..was it perfect? Nope..but for the time it was a great superman movie..you need that caliber of villan to do it right.

No one in Hollywood understands Superman, not even Donner got it right. They need to get Grant Morrison to take a run at it. His Superman All Star run was both intimate and epic and you got down to the core of who Kal-El is. The movies focus too closely on Clark and Superman and seem to almost forget Kal-El, the guy who's the best of both, the scientist's son who's the recipient of the knowledge of 28 galaxies. The guy working on curing the universe's ills in his private lab.
    - Omar B.

IMO superman is the worst [popular] superhero ever. No weakness but Kryponite, superstrong, flight, freezing breath, laser eyes, xray vision, super speed. There is such a thing as overdoing it.

Batman is really the only DC character I like. All time favorite Comic Hero is Spidey.
    XBL: Double 979
    PSN: Double_979

Worst by what standard? He's the first, every single comic book hero is in some way derivative of him. People call him a do god boy scout, that's the point, he's an inspirational and aspirational figure, a true hero. DC's universe is set up like a pantheon of gods and Superman is without a doubt Zeus, he's all powerful, the first, the best and nobody can top him, if that's overdoing it then fine.

I could never understand people's need for weakness an flaws in their heroes at all. Even batman who's been through great tragedy has risen above it all to stand by Superman's side. I just don't dig the Marvel way, I don't like flawed, weakened, insecure heroes. I like my heroes well, heroic, confident, powerful and exemplar personalities.
    - Omar B.

Happy Birthday Superman!

- Omar B.