Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My car Izzy is in bad shape.

Default My car Izzy is in bad shape.

Thursday, I was on the Truman Parkway, and my transmission got stuck in first. I made it to Home Depot and I could go no further. by letting the transmission cool, I was able to make it home.

My Transmission is shot. I could get a rebuild for 22000 or get the one I have rebuilt for 14000 to 18000

I have also started to think about just letting her go and finding a new car.

Anything I do, I will have to do with student loans.

what do you guys think?

And now, for a trip down memory road.

Gathering photos of Savannah architecture. Ginkies, I think there may be a ghost at the abandoned warehouse.

Heading to college. SCAD OR BUST!

Fixing damage to radiator and radiator support. My bad Izzy. The Dukes of Hazzard are full of crap.

visiting my first commission. a sign for Woodman of the World. (sign not shown)
    Last edited by uraydo; 02-16-2008 at 06:54 PM.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

Default Re: My car Izzy is in bad shape.

What year is Izzy?

And you go/went to SCAD? Great school! Wish I had gone there, but I have no art direction/talent whatsoever. LOL

Shop around, see what you can find out. That's all I can suggest. Perhaps something will come up in your favor.

Good luck!
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post
    What year is Izzy?

And you go/went to SCAD? Great school! Wish I had gone there, but I have no art direction/talent whatsoever. LOL

Shop around, see what you can find out. That's all I can suggest. Perhaps something will come up in your favor.

Good luck!
    Sorry, I should have stated her bio in my original post. She is a 1995 Honda Del Sol Si SOHC VTec. She has a automatic Transmission, which just goes to show why automatics suck. (I'll never get own again, if I can help it.) she gets cranky when going to slow, and likes to be shift even though she is an automatic. Which led me to believe something like this was going to happen.

Yeah, I go to SCAD. I too didn't feel I was up to it, but my skills have never been better. and I get better every day. some of the stuff I have shown you guys may not look like much, but keep Sequental art is worlds appart from the stuff I did in tech.

Quote Originally Posted by uraydo View Post
    Sorry, I should have stated her bio in my original post. She is a 1995 Honda Del Sol Si SOHC VTec. She has a automatic Transmission, which just goes to show why automatics suck. (I'll never get own again, if I can help it.) she gets cranky when going to slow, and likes to be shift even though she is an automatic. Which led me to believe something like this was going to happen.

Yeah, I go to SCAD. I too didn't feel I was up to it, but my skills have never been better. and I get better every day. some of the stuff I have shown you guys may not look like much, but keep Sequental art is worlds appart from the stuff I did in tech.
    My boyfriend's brother (one of them) was accepted to SCAD. He loves Savannah, but decided to take a year off (WTF? Skip out on a full ride? IDIOT!)

Yes, he's heard enough about that from not only me, but his father....and mother....and friends...and so on.

I have an automatic which actually needs servicing...guess I'll do that tomorrow. ACK. Needs new tires too.

So, how many miles you got on Izzy? For a 1995 model, she looks good. I'm sure you've treated her well too.

Now, how did you come about the name Izzy? Just curious.
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

My boyfriend's brother (one of them) was accepted to SCAD. He loves Savannah, but decided to take a year off (WTF? Skip out on a full ride? IDIOT!)

Yes, he's heard enough about that from not only me, but his father....and mother....and friends...and so on.

I have an automatic which actually needs servicing...guess I'll do that tomorrow. ACK. Needs new tires too.

So, how many miles you got on Izzy? For a 1995 model, she looks good. I'm sure you've treated her well too.

Now, how did you come about the name Izzy? Just curious.
    she has about 130000 to 135000 miles. I was looking for a name for a dragon. (this character has been scrapped) it was about this time that Hurricane Isabel came about. so I named her Isabel, but I also started to hear the name Izzy (from Robotech and something else) which is short for Isabel. Now Izzy is the name of my car and another character that I am working on. I need to work on her design, but she actually made an appearance as the driver in my Dodge Powerwagon comic. (although, that is not the world she exists in.)

RIP Izzy.

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post
    RIP Izzy.
    You think? It would cost less to fix her, than to get a new car. Personally I a too attached, so I have been asking all my family what I should do. no one knows.

Kidding aside, your car Blue Books for about 3k. (depending on the condition of the body, etc.) And it looks like the front bumper has been repaired/re-painted? (pics show a different shade of red on bumper)

You say you are looking at $1400-$2200 max for repairs.

Have to weigh how much more $$ you wanna spend on it Urry vs. investigating using that money towards another car.

Well you have to look at it in terms of what else could go wrong. Initially it might be cheaper to remedy the transmission problem, but then something with the engine might go next (and so forth and so on). Then you end up spending more than what you'll get back when (and if) you do get rid of it.

Not to sound alarmist or anything, it just tends to be Murphy's law like that.

You can't put a price on sentimental value, so if that weighs heavily in the decision, then there is nothing anyone will tell you that will stop you from keeping Izzy on life support.

Blue book is 3000 but on Autotrader.com these cars sale for 5000 or even 6000. Also I know this car. if I get a new car, it could be the same problems all over again.

Also I am in classes right now, and I don't have the time to go shopping for cars. (not the way I shop for them.)

Plus without a transmission, I doubt I could get anything for it. unless I sold it for scrap.

Also these are student loans I am talking about. If this car can get me through college, that is less money I have to pay back (if more things don't go wrong).

but you are right, it hardly seems worth it.

Well you have to look at it in terms of what else could go wrong. Initially it might be cheaper to remedy the transmission problem, but then something with the engine might go next (and so forth and so on). Then you end up spending more than what you'll get back when (and if) you do get rid of it.

Not to sound alarmist or anything, it just tends to be Murphy's law like that.

You can't put a price on sentimental value, so if that weighs heavily in the decision, then there is nothing anyone will tell you that will stop you from keeping Izzy on life support.
    But stuff can happen to my next car. I could spend 3000 on a new car, and the transmission goes out. as far as sentiment goes, I can love any car I have. nothing is forever, and I can move on.

Really I am looking at this in terms of the safest and most cost effective way out. I love Izzy, but this may very well be her death.

After all, Izzy would never want to hold me back from going forward. it is against her nature.

Now my Acura was a clingy bitch, but she had her good side.

Yeah, thats the risk (or leap of faith, if we're glass half full about it) when going with a new(er) car. But let me ask this question: How long did Izzy or the Acura last you before they said "no more"?

In any case, given your situation/limiting factors, the less money (that is accruing interest) you use the better. If you feel the del Sol can limp along until you have the means (and proper time to shop) for another car, then I would say get your transmission re-built.

It may take a little longer to get Izzy back (vs. having another re-built unit installed), but you can say that it still has the original transmission in it. Also, the possible variations that may come with another overhauled trans. that can affect performance aren't present when you rebuild the original one.

Maybe you can find an auto college down there and have an (experienced) student rebuild it (or the class).

That may be something to look into.

Just an idea.

did you mean 1800- 2000 for the transmission...or 18000-20000?

If you need to get by for now, go and get a used trans...Also there are places that import motors and transmissions from Japan. These motors usually have around 40000 km on them since Japan is strict on emmissions laws. I'm not joking....There is a place in Toronto that imports them. I'm not aware of such places in the US. But it wouldn't hurt checkin it out

If anything call around the scrap yards. You'll eventually find what you need. Just be sure to call a few different places. Some tend to charge more than others....

Or you can just pack it all in now. Buy a new car with extended warranty $$$$

Yeah, thats the risk (or leap of faith, if we're glass half full about it) when going with a new(er) car. But let me ask this question: How long did Izzy or the Acura last you before they said "no more"?

In any case, given your situation/limiting factors, the less money (that is accruing interest) you use the better. If you feel the del Sol can limp along until you have the means (and proper time to shop) for another car, then I would say get your transmission re-built.

It may take a little longer to get Izzy back (vs. having another re-built unit installed), but you can say that it still has the original transmission in it. Also, the possible variations that may come with another overhauled trans. that can affect performance aren't present when you rebuild the original one.
    I was under the impression that remanufactured transmissions were more reliable than rebuilt ones. the reason being when rebuilding a Transmission, the clutches are mostly what is being replaced, but with a remanufactured Transmission, more of the moving parts are replaced.

becareful with remanufactured...they tend to use cheaper parts....don't fall into that trap. You are better off having it rebuilt if those are your choices.
    Find a quality trans shop and have them do it....The stealership will just rape your wallet

Quote Originally Posted by guitarded View Post
    did you mean 1800- 2000 for the transmission...or 18000-20000?

If you need to get by for now, go and get a used trans...Also there are places that import motors and transmissions from Japan. These motors usually have around 40000 km on them since Japan is strict on emmissions laws. I'm not joking....There is a place in Toronto that imports them. I'm not aware of such places in the US. But it wouldn't hurt checkin it out

If anything call around the scrap yards. You'll eventually find what you need. Just be sure to call a few different places. Some tend to charge more than others....

Or you can just pack it all in now. Buy a new car with extended warranty $$$$
    He used the word hundred so it is the lesser value. I don't really trust Junk yard mechanical parts such as a transmission.

what's not to trust. Junkyards aren't what they used to be. They will tell you the mileage of the trans, and offer some short term warranty.

If you don't want to go this route. Buy the clutches yourself to save middleman cost, and have your trans rebuilt.....trust me...don't go remanufactured.....There's a reason they are cheaper than a crate transmission

Quote Originally Posted by guitarded View Post
    what's not to trust. Junkyards aren't what they used to be. They will tell you the mileage of the trans, and offer some short term warranty.

If you don't want to go this route. Buy the clutches yourself to save middleman cost, and have your trans rebuilt.....trust me...don't go remanufactured.....There's a reason they are cheaper than a crate transmission

Really I should say I dont trust parts that have been driven, wrecked, and sat out in the weather.

I don't about the scrapyards where you are...but here, the newer cars (up to 10 years old) get dissected immediately upon arrival . all parts are categorized, and the more important pieces get stored under a roof. Junk yard owners finally realized they can make life easier for them selves and make a good buck with some organizational skills

I only know of one scrap yard around here with my car, and it's transmission is sitting in it.

I wouldn't use the trans from a car sitting in the open elements either. Your choices are limited. Sorry to hear that.

Start calling transmission shops. If you pull the trans out yourself and ask a friend to help drop it off. those transmissions are small, and should fit in the trunk of any car. You'll save a pile of money (roughly $600) on labor

There are no easy avenues with cars...you get what you pay for its as simple as that. I had a 98 sunfire with a 5 speed. At 60,000 miles, the bearings and synchros in all gears were worn out. I had already changed the alternator..waterpump, suspension bushings, two wheel bearings, replaced the head gasket...blahblahblah....i bought a used trans, and sold the car for a couple grand. got tired of fixing it.
    Last edited by guitarded; 02-16-2008 at 10:10 PM.

....then I would say get your transmission re-built.
    *rests case*

*rests case*
    lol...quotin yourself

It really is a shame there are no quality junkyards ( I know that sounds funny)in his area. He could have got a decent transmission for a decent price, get it on the road again and sell it.

I'll say it again...stay away from remanufactured anything...motors..transmissions...

Maybe you can find an auto college down there and have an (experienced) student rebuild it (or the class).

That may be something to look into.

Just an idea.

That's wishfull thinking...and about a 50/50 shot at getting it right. Personally I think he'd be asking for trouble as well. In my school days, I've always heard the next guy talk about all his experience...and then FUCK something up.