Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mike speaks on Blu-ray

Default Mike speaks on Blu-ray

Source: homemediamagazine.com

Michael Bay Relishes Blu-ray's Victories

Author: FRED TOPEL

TransformersWhen Paramount Home Entertainment decided to support HD DVD exclusively, Michael Bay was vocally opposed. Since the decision came just as his Transformers would debut on high-definition home video, Bay threatened to back out of the sequel.

He took back his drastic comments and is hard at work developing Transformers 2, but now that Blu-ray is the format that is gaining momentum, Bay cannot help but remind us he told us so.

“Blu-ray’s better, and I told everyone,” Bay said at the Visual Effects Society’s sixth annual award show, where he presented the award for animated character in a motion picture. “I was very vocal about it. I knew HD [DVD] was not going to make it.”

With HD DVD being edged out of competition by sheer volume of product moving to Blu-ray, Bay is all but gloating.

“Am I thrilled? It really wasn’t my fight, but remember what I said in the press? I was kind of saying HD [DVD]’s going to lose,” he said. “No one believed me.”

Many of Bay’s films were produced by studios that have supported Blu-ray from the beginning. The Rock is already available on Blu-ray from Buena Vista Home Entertainment (now Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment), with Pearl Harbor and Armageddon possibly on the way. Sony’s Columbia owns the “Bad Boys” films.

Bay personally supervises his Blu-ray transfers and says he loves his preferred format.

“It’s just sharper,” he said. “It’s just [that] the tools are better. I just think it’s closer to what it should look like.”

Should Armageddon make it to Blu-ray, there may be even more work in store. Original materials were destroyed.

"Believe it or not, we have to remaster Armageddon,” he said. “The Armageddon [master] was burned in a fire apparently, so we’ve got to re-master the whole movie.

With many of Bay’s films 10 years old or more, it is possible that Blu-ray editions will reveal flaws just by bringing them into sharper focus.

“I’m sure that’s going to be apparent, probably in Armageddon,” he said.

The Rock, Bay’s second film after Bad Boys, was released in 1996. The Blu-ray edition appears grainy in certain shots, but Bay likes it that way. He uses it as an artistic choice, even in his more recent film.

“Yeah, there’s some grain, pushing film, shooting at night,” he said. “There’s actually some grain in Transformers. We pushed it just a little too much. I don’t mind grain. Grain has a vibe.”

Default Re: Mike speaks on Blu-ray

looks like I'll be buying yet another copy of transformers

I know its still early, but will he plan to offer anything new on the blue ray version of tf ?
    Or will he wait until tf2 dvd release to start a box set, and then yet another for tf3

...Its too bad about the work that has to go into Armageddon though

Armageddon destroyed in a fire. The irony is... masterful.
    An idea does not exist until acted upon.

Not wanting to seem bitchy, but I posted this same story three posts down...
    http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...ead.php?t=1260

But wasn't he the same person that said this..

"Michael Bay HD-DVD post
    08/21/2007 07:51 PM
    Last night at dinner I was having dinner with three Blu-Ray owners, they were pissed about no Transformers Blu-Ray and I drank the kool aid hook line and sinker. So at 1:30 in the morning I posted - nothing good ever comes out of early am posts mind you - I over reacted. I heard where Paramount is coming from and the future of HD and players that will be close to the $200 mark which is the magic number. I like what I heard.
    As a director, I'm all about people seeing films in the best quality possible, and I saw and heard firsthand people upset about a corporate decision.
    So today I saw 300 on HD-DVD, it rocks!
    So I think I might be back on to do Transformers 2!
    Michael Bay"

And now he's over there telling us I told you so.. Come on.. I didn't wake up yesterday. This doesn't have anything to do about Blu ray winning. And what happened to his early morning post? "Paramount pissed me off!" Who took that out of the forum? Please...

I've been watching this forum since last year but not registered since I was pissed the TF wasn't in Blu ray. But seeing this. I just had to have my say.
    Last edited by cramos5825; 02-19-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cramos5825 View Post

"Michael Bay HD-DVD post
    Last night at dinner I was having dinner with three Blu-Ray owners, they were pissed about no Transformers Blu-Ray and I drank the kool aid hook line and sinker. So at 1:30 in the morning I posted - nothing good ever comes out of early am posts mind you - I over reacted. I heard where Paramount is coming from and the future of HD and players that will be close to the $200 mark which is the magic number. I like what I heard.
    As a director, I'm all about people seeing films in the best quality possible, and I saw and heard firsthand people upset about a corporate decision.
    Michael Bay"

And now he's over there telling us I told you so.. Come on.. I didn't wake up yesterday. This doesn't have anything to do about Blu ray winning. And what happened to his early morning post? "Paramount pissed me off!" Who took that out of the forum? Please...

I've been watching this forum since last year but not registered since I was pissed the TF wasn't in Blu ray. But seeing this. I just had to have my say.
    He never said HD-DVD was superior, or that it was going to be the winner in the format war, did he?

And yes, you did wake up yesterday. He had to say he over reacted because he had to own up to the studio and there was a release of the TF DVD and was probably in the middle of budget negotiations. Again, the only people that were delusional were the ones hoping Bay would sacrifice his career for a format.

In the end, he really did not like HD DVD and everyone with a clue knows that.

The thing is, if you spent a solid afternoon researching old threads, you can come up with enough material to paint anyone as a hypocrite. (Try me, for example. ) And sometimes we make hasty posts - that's the price of having something as easily accessible as the internet.

Looking at both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray in terms of home entertainment, I can see why Blu-Ray ultimately won out.
    Last edited by MitP; 02-19-2008 at 02:49 PM.

"Michael Bay HD-DVD post
    Michael Bay"

that post was obvious damage control on his part. you cant really blame him. I'm sure he got a call from Paramount going "Mike...come on man..what are you doing? We can't have a director for us questioning our decisions. So man to man, adult to adult, business partner to business partner, go back and make good."

And you can't blame him, Paramount is cutting his check for his work on Transformers.

Of course the conversation probably went:

"Dude...Mike....we know Hd-DVD is going to loose...we just wanted the $150 million check!! It's money for nothing Mike...money for nothing!! Plus all those morons who buy our HD-DVD movies will just have to go and buy them on blu ray when this ship finally sinks...it's a win win! Go do some damage control buddy!"
    Last edited by xAgonyxScenex; 02-19-2008 at 05:47 PM.

Excellent news. So, when can we expect to see Transformers on Blu-Ray, Mike?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Superion View Post
    Excellent news. So, when can we expect to see Transformers on Blu-Ray, Mike?
    It's already showing up in Circuit City's systems.. so soon

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    He never said HD-DVD was superior, or that it was going to be the winner in the format war, did he?

And yes, you did wake up yesterday. He had to say he over reacted because he had to own up to the studio and there was a release of the TF DVD and was probably in the middle of budget negotiations. Again, the only people that were delusional were the ones hoping Bay would sacrifice his career for a format.

In the end, he really did not like HD DVD and everyone with a clue knows that.
    Nelson,

He doesn't have to spell it out to someone about HD DVD. If I said.. WOW I SAW 300 in HD-DVD and it rocks. Then follow up with movies should be on the best format possible. What does that tell you? Im sure you can get where its going. And to say hook line and sinker.. to Blu ray folks he was drinking with, that's a slap in the face to me. To implicate that they coerced him to say that. I'm just saying. He didn't have to say "that I told you so that Blu ray is better". Like he's been out there championing the format and saying that paramount made a mistake. How about the people that was actually behind the Blu ray format. Wasn't them the ones trying to get this format to beat out HD-DVD. He sounds like people that follows who ever is the bigger and better on the block at the moment. I haven't heard him since the Oops Blu ray rant thing last August until now when Warner Bros. chose to go Blu ray and Wal mart, Best Buy, and Netflix put their weight this past January. I guess this is just me RANTING.
    Last edited by cramos5825; 02-19-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Banned

Nelson,

He doesn't have to spell it out to someone about HD DVD. If I said.. WOW I SAW 300 in HD-DVD and it rocks. Then follow up with movies should be on the best format possible. What does that tell you? Im sure you can get where its going. And to say hook line and sinker.. to Blu ray folks he was drinking with, that's a slap in the face to me. To implicate that they coerced him to say that. I'm just saying. He didn't have to say "that I told you so that Blu ray is better". Like he's been out there championing the format and saying that paramount made a mistake. How about the people that was actually behind the Blu ray format. Wasn't them the ones trying to get this format to beat out HD-DVD. He sounds like people that follows who ever is the bigger and better on the block at the moment. I haven't heard him since the Oops Blu ray rant thing last August until now when Warner Bros. chose to go Blu ray and Wal mart, Best Buy, and Netflix put their weight this past January. I guess this is just me RANTING.
    Bay has made a strong indication that he liked Blu Ray better than HD DVD from the get go. If you had done all the research like you said you had, you would come to realize this. It has nothing to do with people he was drinking with.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokescreen_5 View Post
    Bay has made a strong indication that he liked Blu Ray better than HD DVD from the get go. If you had done all the research like you said you had, you would come to realize this. It has nothing to do with people he was drinking with.
    Can you kindly show me where he indicated in the beginning that Blu ray was better than HD DVD? Just for reference.

Banned

Can you kindly show me where he indicated in the beginning that Blu ray was better than HD DVD? Just for reference.
    Sure, go to Members List, Find michaelbay, and look at the posts yourself!

Unfortunately searches on the forum only goes back so far. But here's just a few of the responses. I had looked at his webpage long before Transformers finally came out.. I believe it was around July of 2006 when I had heard of this website. Granted I wasn't a member yet, but on his page, he clearly stated he was in favor of Blu Ray. These are just a few of the posts that backs that up. Choose to accept it, or continue to argue.. I don't really give a damn. I'm just glad Blu Ray won out, and will be looking forward to Transformers on Blu Ray. Have a good day.

Sure, go to Members List, Find michaelbay, and look at the posts yourself!

Unfortunately searches on the forum only goes back so far. But here's just a few of the responses. I had looked at his webpage long before Transformers finally came out.. I believe it was around July of 2006 when I had heard of this website. Granted I wasn't a member yet, but on his page, he clearly stated he was in favor of Blu Ray. These are just a few of the posts that backs that up. Choose to accept it, or continue to argue.. I don't really give a damn. I'm just glad Blu Ray won out, and will be looking forward to Transformers on Blu Ray. Have a good day.
    Yeah. I'm getting sick of all this assholes that just join up not to actual be a member of the community but to whine like little girls about hddvd. Just fuck off. Michael Bay had to do backpedalling on his initial TF on HDDVD to appease paramounted. Get over it. I know I've had to support shit at work I don't agree with as it was the company line. That is part of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
    Yeah. I'm getting sick of all this assholes that just join up not to actual be a member of the community but to whine like little girls about hddvd. Just fuck off. Michael Bay had to do backpedalling on his initial TF on HDDVD to appease paramounted. Get over it. I know I've had to support shit at work I don't agree with as it was the company line. That is part of life.
    Hey.. I'm a Blu Ray fan.. and was dissappointed on Payamounts decision to go HD-DVD. I am also a fan of TF way back when it was an original concept in Japan. Tell me something, would you take credit for your co-workers hardwork trying to promote something. I wouldn't.. that would just make you a backstabber. I don't careless if he says Blu Ray is better. but common, some people don't have a clue and praising him for WHAT? Going with what the companies decision to go HD-DVD. How was Spielberg able to not release some or all of his works on any HDM format? Until there was a clear cut winner. How about the man and women behind the scenes for the Blu Ray format.. Did he congratulate them on their hard work for trying to win out over HD-DVD? Anyways... I'm done with this.. I'm moving on.. By the way, I also like Bay movies. I am not a sheep that just follows.. I would like to also question the directors moves and decisions even if I'm wrong for asking or not.

Banned

Hey.. I'm a Blu Ray fan.. and was dissappointed on Payamounts decision to go HD-DVD. I am also a fan of TF way back when it was an original concept in Japan. Tell me something, would you take credit for your co-workers hardwork trying to promote something. I wouldn't.. that would just make you a backstabber. I don't careless if he says Blu Ray is better. but common, some people don't have a clue and praising him for WHAT? Going with what the companies decision to go HD-DVD. How was Spielberg able to not release some or all of his works on any HDM format? Until there was a clear cut winner. How about the man and women behind the scenes for the Blu Ray format.. Did he congratulate them on their hard work for trying to win out over HD-DVD? Anyways... I'm done with this.. I'm moving on.. By the way, I also like Bay movies. I am not a sheep that just follows.. I would like to also question the directors moves and decisions even if I'm wrong for asking or not.
    I'm sorry.. what was that? all I read was blah blah blah I'm a dirty little whore... lol.. ahem.. errr.. yeah

Moving on.. yeah.. I just bought a PS3 cuz I've always been in favor of the PS generation of systems. Never cared for XBox and don't believe I ever will.. I like Playstation too much.. and yeah I don't have an HDTV to hook it up to... Just still have my old 1981 floor 32 inch encased in wood platform tv.. talk about old.. I know.. and even with this tv.. I can still tell the difference in quality from DVD to Blu Ray. I already had a Spiderman 3 for DVD and the Blu Ray that comes with the PS3 is definitely much more crisp. Even on my ancient tv. So when I can finally fork up enough money and find a good enough deal (Which reminds me.. anybody know of a website with really awesome deals for a 32" HDTV?), I'll be buying one to be entertained even more..

I'm sorry.. what was that? all I read was blah blah blah I'm a dirty little whore... lol.. ahem.. errr.. yeah

Moving on.. yeah.. I just bought a PS3 cuz I've always been in favor of the PS generation of systems. Never cared for XBox and don't believe I ever will.. I like Playstation too much.. and yeah I don't have an HDTV to hook it up to... Just still have my old 1981 floor 32 inch encased in wood platform tv.. talk about old.. I know.. and even with this tv.. I can still tell the difference in quality from DVD to Blu Ray. I already had a Spiderman 3 for DVD and the Blu Ray that comes with the PS3 is definitely much more crisp. Even on my ancient tv. So when I can finally fork up enough money and find a good enough deal (Which reminds me.. anybody know of a website with really awesome deals for a 32" HDTV?), I'll be buying one to be entertained even more..
    Sorry for your small brain that have to resort to name calling,
    I guess you are looking at the mirror when you wrote "whore".
    How in the hell can you say Blu-ray is better than dvd when watching it on an old tv set. That really makes you a true fanboy. Wow.. so you can tell the difference between blu ray and regular dvd. Try posting that at "HIDEFDIGEST.COM" and see how much schooling you'll get. So, who's the ass kissin-whore now. I didn't know that your a videophile. Guess what.. 480 is 480 no matter what you put on it.. Man.. so I guess the difference you saw was putting your glasses on. You wanna see a difference try between 720P and 1080P.. Try it on an HDTV. You wanna enjoy HDTV and the power of Blu ray? or for that matter HD-DUD. That's where you wanna be. Until then.. Shoo boy.. Your not even on the same league.. And 32" for that matter. Geeze Do your home work. Even with 32" you can't tell the difference between 1080P and 720P.. The difference lies in 50" and up. But I guess you'll just resort to just calling me names.. How PATHETIC. Smokescreen.. And to the ADMIN I would like to apologize for this post. I didn't want to resort to such vulgar or profanity. Anyways.. moving on..

Wait...you can hook your PS3 up to that ancient thing?

I thought you had to have an HDTV to even hook up an PS3...or a blu ray player.

I could be wrong-o....*shrug*
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

Smoke just to throw you a bone here.. Here are links to kind of educate you on HDTV I feel kind of sorry for you with your wooden TV.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

http://www.dlptvreview.com/

http://www.highdefdigest.com/

Enjoy..
    Last edited by cramos5825; 02-21-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post
    Wait...you can hook your PS3 up to that ancient thing?

I thought you had to have an HDTV to even hook up an PS3...or a blu ray player.

I could be wrong-o....*shrug*
    LOL... yeah.. I could hook it up.. It comes with the same red, white and yellow cord that comes with the PS2. So I hooked it up that way. And yeah.. I'm pretty excited about it and all..

Maybe I shouldn't reply to the idiot.. maybe then again I will.. Hey dope.. you aren't sorry.. when I said blah blah etc etc.. its a joke/saying/thing that goes around.. Geeeze.. but you wanna take it personal? Then you got problems.. seriously dude.. learn to decipher stuff. And yeah.. there IS a difference between blu ray and dvd on an ANCIENT tv.. believe it or not.. like.. omg.. like.. no way.. is he forreal.. like... he's joshing us.. bleh.. you can spout off all the numbers you want.. I have perfect 20/20 vision, otherwise I most likely wouldn't be a pilot.. ooops.. you didn't know that did ya? Oh well.. Don't care.. moving on..

back to ya Bumblebee.. yeah.. its pretty cool.. I'll get a HDTV here as soon as my tax refund comes back most likely.. and yeah.. I have a small house so a 32 inch is big enough for me.. I could go bigger.. but.. its not necessary. My old Ancient is a 26 inch and its big enough.. so.. yeah.. not like I live in a mansion and feel the need to have a 50 inch tv.. At the most.. I'd go like 36 or 42.. ehh.. prolly 36 at the most for my small house.. But I'm actually just looking at 32's right about now..

LOL... yeah.. I could hook it up.. It comes with the same red, white and yellow cord that comes with the PS2. So I hooked it up that way. And yeah.. I'm pretty excited about it and all..

Maybe I shouldn't reply to the idiot.. maybe then again I will.. Hey dope.. you aren't sorry.. when I said blah blah etc etc.. its a joke/saying/thing that goes around.. Geeeze.. but you wanna take it personal? Then you got problems.. seriously dude.. learn to decipher stuff. And yeah.. there IS a difference between blu ray and dvd on an ANCIENT tv.. believe it or not.. like.. omg.. like.. no way.. is he forreal.. like... he's joshing us.. bleh.. you can spout off all the numbers you want.. I have perfect 20/20 vision, otherwise I most likely wouldn't be a pilot.. ooops.. you didn't know that did ya? Oh well.. Don't care.. moving on..

back to ya Bumblebee.. yeah.. its pretty cool.. I'll get a HDTV here as soon as my tax refund comes back most likely.. and yeah.. I have a small house so a 32 inch is big enough for me.. I could go bigger.. but.. its not necessary. My old Ancient is a 26 inch and its big enough.. so.. yeah.. not like I live in a mansion and feel the need to have a 50 inch tv.. At the most.. I'd go like 36 or 42.. ehh.. prolly 36 at the most for my small house.. But I'm actually just looking at 32's right about now..
    You will see a BIG difference when you do get an HDTV.
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee1983 View Post
    You will see a BIG difference when you do get an HDTV.

Oh yeah? And what do you have? I've been looking around.. trying to figure out whats good.. and it seems like the Vizio brand at Walmart seems to not only be a low price but the picture quality looks really good.. but I'm not sure as to the reality of how good their tv's hold up and all.. There used to be a website that explained differences between tv's.. and I remember them saying that plasma tv's only lasted so long and that there was a better type out there.. don't remember if it was LCD or something else.. i dunno.. all this technology.. gahh..

But when you include "I'm a whore" to me that's not a joke. To you that might be an every day thing. And I don't care if your a pilot with 20/20 vision.. Pilot of what.. model airplanes.. LOL.. just kidding. This thread is going no where. We are just trading jabs at each other.. Not going anywhere. You can have the last word. L8TR. and if play COD4.. I'll just see ya around.

Banned

But when you include "I'm a whore" to me that's not a joke. To you that might be an every day thing. And I don't care if your a pilot with 20/20 vision.. Pilot of what.. model airplanes.. LOL.. just kidding. This thread is going no where. We are just trading jabs at each other.. Not going anywhere. You can have the last word. L8TR. and if play COD4.. I'll just see ya around.

WORD!!!!!!!